Author Topic: [IC] GMK Classic Arabic ...and more | GB OVER!  (Read 48286 times)

Offline dallman5

Re: [IC] GMK Classic Arabic ...and more
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 01:15:05 »
Digging it, but please include R5! Can't be a classic set without being R5  :cool:
LF: OG Cherry APL (lasered), Artisans

Current collection:
More
Norbatouch (Galaxy Blue) | Mira SE (Lunar Grey, WKL) | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300BN) | Noxary X60 (Grey, HHKB) | KBDFans 5 Degree (Silver) | AEK64 (Grey) | Norbaforce (Tactical Black, WKL)) | Realforce 86U (White) | TGR 910 RE (Polycarbonate) | LZ-SQ (Black) | LZ-CLS (Grey, WKL) | Duck Orion v1 (Silver, WK)) | Nissho KB106DE | HHKB Pro 1 (KB300B) | LZ CLS-S (Blue, Poker) | Realforce 87U 10th Anniversary) | Realforce 104UK | TGR Alice (Grey on Pink) | Singa (Blue, WKL)  | Quantrik QXP (Blue Grey, WKL) | LZ-GH v2 (Black, WK) | KMAC Happy (Red, Poker)) | IBM Model M SSK (APL) | TGR 910 SE (Pink on Blue) | GSKT-00 (Silver, Poker) | OTD Koala (Silver, WKL) | Realforce R2 PFU Edition (Ivory) | IBM 3279 Beamspring (APL) | TGR Tris (Blue) | LZ-GH v2 (Blue, WKL)) | TGR Jane v2 (Blue-grey, WKL) | LZ-MP (Shine Grey, WKL)  | TGR x Singa Unikorn (Purple) | Justsystems x Realforce 108UG) | IBM Model F Unsaver (APL) | TGR Jane V2 CE (Multicolor, WKL) | Realforce 87U (Blank Black) | Lin Montage (Light Blue, WKL) | GSKT-00 AEK R2 (Grey, HHKB) | Leopold FC660C (Blank Black) | Duck Viper v3 (Grey on Black) | Rama Works M6-C RWxRW | LZ-GH v1 (Black, WKL) | Gok 7v (Grey) | biso x beaming Kei (SS, HHKB) | zacheadams x bisoromi little z | Matrix Noah (Silver/Grey, WKL) | Lin Whale (Pink, WKL) | TGR Alice (Polycarbonate) | Rama Kara (Noct) | Lin Whale75 (Burgundy, F13) | Realforce 89 (Ivory) | Hand Engineering Haus (Bluegrey) | Haytco CAKE60_R1 (Pantone 4167C) | LZ-XE (Grey, WKL) | Noxary X60 V2 (Grey, WK) | Daji Ochocuatro (Grey, WKL) | HHKB Hybird Type-S 25th Anniversary (Snow) | LZ-REs (Grey, WKL) | Matrix 8xv 3.0 (Blue-Black/Deep Grey, WKL) | Realforce 23UB | Biso RS60 (Black, WK) | TGR x MXF Koala (Grey/Black, WKL)

Italics = Incoming, Black = Gone

Offline krzank

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 15:56:35 »
Digging it, but please include R5! Can't be a classic set without being R5  :cool:
Yes, R5!, but keep icon mods please.

Offline Obstsalatjaa

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 16:04:06 »
Blue subs in base please. Otherwise looks great!

I know you are referencing the SAA.
I chose the color green specifically because of it's meaning in the arabic world and Islam.
But thank you for the recommendation.
This is the dumbest **** I've ever heard.

Nice critique. Your point makes so much sennse.... I smell something *sniff* *sniff* Ahhh, Racism Hello!

Offline MoonOperator

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 17:28:48 »
Need more keycap sets with arabic sub legends. I'm in!

Can green accents kit also include a tilde ~ / ذ key similar to how IFK does it?

Offline of_sam

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 19:45:07 »

I chose the color green specifically because of it's meaning in the arabic world and Islam.

Nice critique. Your point makes so much sennse.... I smell something *sniff* *sniff* Ahhh, Racism Hello!
Allow me to clarify. OP has played off stereotypes in one of his past sets to the point where it had to be overhauled. (see JYMV's video on GMK Hanguk) In my opinion we are seeing the same issue here. Instead of explaining his choice, he states the most generic answer that didn't have much thought behind it other than a quick google search. If he wanted green subs, it's fine, just say you want green subs. Point is, I was annoyed with his answer because it felt like he was saying "it's green because that's what google says it should be." To me, it seemed disingenuous. To the OP: I do apologize for my brash comment. I hope you understand my concerns.
Typing on: HHKB Pro 2 - Stock :aware:
Collection: F1.69, Police, Jubi, RF 87U, En Dash, Rosenthal, Soulless, Frog, Calliope, GAF 910, Sabre, W1-AT

Offline wholypantalones

• text and icon mods plz.
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 20:07:36 »
1. no

Where have I seen that before? Best. Interest. Check. Ever.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 20:10:54 »

Allow me to clarify. OP has played off stereotypes in one of his past sets to the point where it had to be overhauled. (see JYMV's video on GMK Hanguk) In my opinion we are seeing the same issue here. Instead of explaining his choice, he states the most generic answer that didn't have much thought behind it other than a quick google search. If he wanted green subs, it's fine, just say you want green subs. Point is, I was annoyed with his answer because it felt like he was saying "it's green because that's what google says it should be." To me, it seemed disingenuous. To the OP: I do apologize for my brash comment. I hope you understand my concerns.

Maybe he likes Me and I like green for sure and maybe he wanted to make a treeleaf approved set
It's like I  am a butterfly and he caught me with the net
Because he sure hit it on the mark
Arabic sublegends and green. What else could a treeleaf want

I love the Sam.

OK OK I was just kidding don't pay attention to me ok I dont know anything about Arabic

« Last Edit: Mon, 18 January 2021, 21:34:11 by treeleaf64 »
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline jayiskuhl

« Reply #57 on: Mon, 18 January 2021, 22:06:55 »
I like the set and can't wait to see the Goth collab!
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 February 2021, 15:28:25 by jayiskuhl »
Rukia (?) | gaff. 60 | Pandora | Praxis | Bauer 2

Offline Omarpixel9

• I like keyboards and pixels
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 00:18:00 »

Maybe he likes Me and I like green for sure and maybe he wanted to make a treeleaf approved set
It's like I  am a butterfly and he caught me with the net
Because he sure hit it on the mark
Arabic sublegends and green. What else could a treeleaf want

I love the Sam.

OK OK I was just kidding don't pay attention to me ok I dont know anything about Arabic

hi it's tree leaf
60% gasket mount

Offline westway

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 02:41:02 »
I agree with others: this set needs R5! Keep OG icon mods  :thumb:

Offline harlekein

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 02:50:03 »

I can't even begin to explain how limiting this is. When you equate the Arabic world with Islam you are selling short Arabic culture and Muslims from other cultures both.

It's like equating the entire Western world with Christianity.

Offline SMOKEY

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 03:55:23 »
1. no

Where have I seen that before? Best. Interest. Check. Ever.

So saying 'no' to one specific question means it isn't an IC. Cool.
And yes, I am quite set on this specific regard. I want this to be OG icon mods.
If there is a huge majority in the IC form that want icon+text, we'll see about it.

I can't even begin to explain how limiting this is. When you equate the Arabic world with Islam you are selling short Arabic culture and Muslims from other cultures both.

It's like equating the entire Western world with Christianity.

There is no equation in this message. Therefore there is an 'AND' in this sentence.
You know, you can't be everybodies darling in this. Some complain, some compliment on the choice.
The bottom line is: I want the subs to be a specific color, and they are a specific color.
That's it. Nothing more.

Can green accents kit also include a tilde ~ / ذ key similar to how IFK does it?

Show Image

Thanks your the suggestion! Is there any exact reason to use this? If you referencing potential HHKB layouts, usage would be extremely limited in my opinion.
Can you elaborate a bit more?

I agree with others: this set needs R5! Keep OG icon mods  :thumb:

I understand that some people want R5 in this set.
I added this question to the IC FORM, please be so kind and fill it out!

-----

In other news:

1. I was contacted from an arabic speaking fellow enthusiast of the arabic keyboard community, telling me the sublegend on the X is a little bit too small.
This will be changed in future iterations.
Will be kept in mind.
Thanks buddy.

2. Amazing Landcaps joined the collaborators:

3. Vendors are complete. Welcome DeskHero:

« Last Edit: Tue, 19 January 2021, 04:30:53 by SMOKEY »

Offline MoonOperator

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 04:30:39 »

Show Image

Thanks your the suggestion! Is there any exact reason to use this? If you referencing potential HHKB layouts, usage would be extremely limited in my opinion.

If you're using this set on a keyboard without the F row like a 65/60 percent you'd normally put esc where tilde is. That's normally fine but with Arabic keycap sets you have ~ذ with the ذ Arabic letter sub legend on the tilde key. If you replace tilde with the esc key you're now missing the letter ذ on your Arabic keyboard.

So without a green ~ذ tilde key it becomes a compromise of either wanting a green accent esc key but missing an Arabic letter on your keyboard. Or having no accent top left corner key but keeping all the Arabic letters on your keyboard.

Offline SMOKEY

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 04:46:29 »

Show Image

If you're using this set on a keyboard without the F row like a 65/60 percent you'd normally put esc where tilde is. That's normally fine but with Arabic keycap sets you have ~ذ with the ذ Arabic letter sub legend on the tilde key. If you replace tilde with the esc key you're now missing the letter ذ on your Arabic keyboard.

So without a green ~ذ tilde key it becomes a compromise of either wanting a green accent esc key but missing an Arabic letter on your keyboard. Or having no accent top left corner key but keeping all the Arabic letters on your keyboard.

Ahhh, ok. I get it! Makes sense!
Would it make even more sense to add another Esc key in the green accent kit with the sublegend ذ, to accomodate exactly for those layouts?
You could either use a layer for the Esc key, or realize ~ذ with QMK GESC...
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 January 2021, 05:00:20 by SMOKEY »

Offline MoonOperator

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 05:39:51 »

Show Image

Would it make even more sense to add another Esc key in the green accent kit with the sublegend ذ, to accomodate exactly for those layouts?

Personally would prefer green esc key with the sublegend ذ like you suggested. Think that would be awesome, thanks for taking this into consideration! :)

I have my current 60% configured to something similar, layer 0 is esc and layer 1 is tilde.

Offline SMOKEY

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 05:46:52 »
Well, this only makes sense.
Will be done!

...like R5 potentially :D

Offline victorpre

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 08:33:55 »
Well done man, I love beige. This might be the one ;)

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline vi0till

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 10:50:28 »
The sublegend here is quite different from the sublegend from CRP, Epbt and even GMK Classic Retro Arabic. I mean, in term of the having additional arabic character in some of the character. Example in font N, having ؠ together with آ. I think it would be nice to have that full coverage of arabic sublegend.

Offline Paputcher

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 14:04:23 »
cool  :D

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 14:33:20 »
where's the greek gyro deskmat? ne child kits named after food avail? i would really like to see a greek/Algeria, Bahrain, Chad, Comoros, Djibouti, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, and Yemen flag novelty :)

Offline MoonOperator

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 16:56:44 »
The sublegend here is quite different from the sublegend from CRP, Epbt and even GMK Classic Retro Arabic. I mean, in term of the having additional arabic character in some of the character. Example in font N, having ؠ together with آ. I think it would be nice to have that full coverage of arabic sublegend.

Yeah I'm realizing now while the current design is really clean, for this to be usable as an Arabic keyboard it's missing a lot of different things. I like the way it's done in CRP Arabic.

Offline Kinesiologist

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 17:55:11 »
Both sublegends look great, digging it so far. Is it possible to add an extra R1 - 1U mod colored key for the split backspace?

Offline RA Can

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 18:07:52 »

Yeah I'm realizing now while the current design is really clean, for this to be usable as an Arabic keyboard it's missing a lot of different things. I like the way it's done in CRP Arabic.

it's still usable cause it has the main alphabet. and I agree it looks cleaner this way. keep in mind if you gonna add the additional arabic character, you might as will add the symbols too and it's gonna look very busy. i love both but its up to the designer

Offline MoonOperator

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 19 January 2021, 20:59:31 »

it's still usable cause it has the main alphabet. and I agree it looks cleaner this way. keep in mind if you gonna add the additional arabic character, you might as will add the symbols too and it's gonna look very busy. i love both but its up to the designer

That's true, CRP Arabic is very busy. Either way I'm in regardless :)

Offline SMOKEY

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 20 January 2021, 01:46:33 »
No F13?

Sorry, just saw this last part of the comment. There is an F13 in the base.

Exactly for those reasons I chose not to include the rest of the arabic characters like the other sets did.
I went with the 'main arabic alphabet' and took more of a simple, clean approach.
Doing everyhing is way to busy for my taste, especially with the OG colorway.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 January 2021, 01:55:24 by SMOKEY »

Offline snelltrail

Re: [IC] GMK Classic Arabic ...and more | R4 or R5? YOU DECIDE!
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 20 January 2021, 05:28:23 »
It would be nice if we could select multiple kits in the IC form, since I am keen on base, spacebars and Greek subs.

Also R4 or R5 should probably be a choose-one style question (radio buttons) rather than a free form field.

Hoping we can a large amount of interest in icon+text mods and R5 from the form!

BTW you might want to consider moving the extra B key from the spacebar kit to the base kit, since probably lots of people will already have split beige spacebars from GMK Spacekeys or other beige sets.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 January 2021, 05:34:17 by snelltrail »

Offline SMOKEY

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 20 January 2021, 10:18:13 »
It would be nice if we could select multiple kits in the IC form, since I am keen on base, spacebars and Greek subs.

Also R4 or R5 should probably be a choose-one style question (radio buttons) rather than a free form field.

Hoping we can a large amount of interest in icon+text mods and R5 from the form!

BTW you might want to consider moving the extra B key from the spacebar kit to the base kit, since probably lots of people will already have split beige spacebars from GMK Spacekeys or other beige sets.

Hey there. You‘re right. Will change the settings when I get to it.
B is a good idea too.
R5 doesn‘t look bad rn...

Offline SMOKEY

« Reply #77 on: Thu, 21 January 2021, 01:18:23 »
Hello everyone,

here are some updates:

1. Base:

• Arabic character on X has been slightly increased in size
  • Esc with added arabic character ذ has been added to accommodate for its loss when using Esc on 60/65% layouts

2. Green Accents:

• Esc with added arabic character ذ has been added to accommodate for its loss when using Esc on 60/65% layouts

3. IC FORM Changes

IC FORM has been adapted accordingly.

4. New Renders

7V by gok

Cypher by Cable Car Designs
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 January 2021, 01:29:59 by SMOKEY »

Offline i luv chuletas

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 09:42:15 »
No love for 40's on this set?  :'(

Offline SMOKEY

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 25 January 2021, 12:48:06 »
No love for 40's on this set?  :'(

:D

That's all debatable. This IC still is far away from GB date, which will be some time around August / September.
If there is enough demand (please fill out the IC FORM *hint* *hint*) I am surely up to do a 40s kit.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 January 2021, 13:07:39 by SMOKEY »

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 01:33:30 »
where's the greek gyro deskmat? ne child kits named after food avail? i would really like to see a greek/Algeria, Bahrain, Chad, Comoros, Djibouti, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, and Yemen flag novelty :)

:D

Speaking of, I'm curious about the fact that a Greek kit/set is included in this Classic Arabic run? The Greeks and parts of the Muslim world/sphere of influence, particularly Turkey/the Ottoman Empire, have been at odds, to put it lightly, extending to the modern day. This just doesn't make any sense to put these 2 languages together, like at all.

Not saying we can't "coexist" in the form of keycaps, but uh knowing the history of OP's reductionist takes when leveraging nationalities (and now religions and culture), I'm skeptical to say the least. As someone with Greek ancestry, it would be great to have a thoughtful Greek set, which this does not seem like it.

Apart from the fact that the Greek kit indeed looks odd with the duplicated legends, weren't there other separate sets of Arabic and Greek themes being planned by other members of the community?
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 January 2021, 01:36:55 by CustomerSupport »

Offline El_Jackador

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 08:00:10 »
This is really cool!

Offline SMOKEY

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 28 January 2021, 16:33:40 »
Incredible Destroyer Caps joined the collabs!

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 28 January 2021, 18:22:41 »
Smokey has shown AGAIN that he is not the designer to be asked for consideration regarding language or culture.
Sublegends for the sake of it are gaudy and often misutilized and Smokey is all about taking advantage of the market creating sets for people who are just as uncaring and disrespectful as he is.
To those who are unaware please take a serious consideration if your support for his sets. His responses and actions are only in defense of himself and his outlet to make money off of you.

Offline krzank

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 07:30:29 »

Show Image

Personally would prefer green esc key with the sublegend ذ like you suggested. Think that would be awesome, thanks for taking this into consideration! :)

I have my current 60% configured to something similar, layer 0 is esc and layer 1 is tilde.
ESC with sublegend does nothing to the fact that ذ will be accessible only via FN layer.
Please consider that ISO layout has one more key than ANSI: R4 to the right of the 1.25U:leftSHIFT.
This can be used for R4:Tilde/GraveAccent/ذ instead of R4:"<>"
Alternative: adding arabic sublegends to UK-ISO layout.
This is general problem (at least for me it is a problem) with 60% & 65% layouts not specific to arabic, russian layout has the same problem (Tilde/GraveAccent/Ё).

Offline CustomerSupport

• 🕸 developer
    • Discord
« Reply #85 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 16:32:20 »
Smokey has shown AGAIN that he is not the designer to be asked for consideration regarding language or culture.
Sublegends for the sake of it are gaudy and often misutilized and Smokey is all about taking advantage of the market creating sets for people who are just as uncaring and disrespectful as he is.
To those who are unaware please take a serious consideration if your support for his sets. His responses and actions are only in defense of himself and his outlet to make money off of you.

Co-signed.

Offline DERBS

• N E 3u bars avail?
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 16:50:50 »
LMFAO

Offline Lizcuits

• KAT PBJ
    • KAT PBJ
« Reply #87 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 08:03:20 »
Putting aside the problems that could arise re: respecting cultures across the world (or rather a potential lack of doing so), there's an overall lack of professionalism in the responses to genuine concern/criticisms in this thread and I don't know that it bodes well for this set.

You should be more aware that the community is going to remember what happened with your previous set(s) and you should take that into consideration when hearing their feedback and concerns. I am not sure why you chose to create this set, but given that it's once again representing another world culture you should probably be a little more open minded and professional when addressing concerns. You come across as extremely dismissive at times and a little childish in your responses to criticism.

On an unrelated note, I'm not super sure what's up with so many sets being put into "IC" with a full vendor list, GB date, and like 6 collabs? Maybe I'm missing the point of an IC or the meaning has changed over time but it's a little strange to me.

Best of luck. I hope you can get this set to a point where people feel comfortable using it and supporting it.

Offline Bamboo238

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 08:14:16 »

Unfortunately I have to agree. It seems that Smokey is specifically banking on cultures, countries, and religions purely for aesthetics. There is a difference in a set being made as a result of respectful engagement with a culture, and examples like this and taegeukgi where cultures are fetishized due to their 'exotic-ness'. Topics relating to nationality, language, and culture are deeply personal themes, and I don't understand Smokey's entitlement in thinking he is the person suitable to undertake these designs - especially given previous backlash. Maybe best to lay off cultural themes in your future sets, and avoid being further labelled as a culture vulture.

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 13:02:58 »
On an unrelated note, I'm not super sure what's up with so many sets being put into "IC" with a full vendor list, GB date, and like 6 collabs? Maybe I'm missing the point of an IC or the meaning has changed over time but it's a little strange to me.

Within the past year, there has been a shift in how a "good IC" should look. A "good IC" now a days requires some sort of kitting and renders at a bare minimum.

There are a lot of designers who work on projects in the background, polish it up to the best of their ability (this includes finding vendors, doing collabs, etc.) then post. They are practically turn key items, able to go into GB at any time.

I, personally, do this approach since it takes a lot of the guesswork out of a set and I'm allowed to present as much information as possible. I also want to make sure my ICs are as thorough as possible, meaning I want to have my kitting almost nailed down. I have my own "base kit" that I use for the majority of my sets but am open to suggestion or ask questions in the IC forms that I attach.

TLDR: this "change" of how polished an IC needs to be has been a long time coming; however, this doesn't mean that all ICs need to be polished. The community has grown accustomed to designers presenting everything; however, if you're new, you just need to present enough (kitting, colors, renders).
[Mostly] Retired from Keyboards
Typing on: TKL One - Zealios v1 - 55g TX Springs, TX Films, Lubed with 205g0 - Xiami Beige Cadet + RGB
Collection: IDB60 (gone), Austere (gone), Matrix 1.2og (gone), Matrix 2.0add (gone), RS (so lit), Infinitum (gone), THRILL Proto (destroyed), Matrix 2.0add xmas Starry Night (gone), RS60 (traded), MC65 (traded), Jane v1 CE (gone), GSKT-00 (gone), TKL One Poly (returned), TKL One, RS60, Serenity Proto, Boulevard Proto

Offline urbanphoenix

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 13:34:41 »
Can you please put a extra minus and plus key in the alphas sets (especially the Greek one). That way I can use the alphas with other sets without having to buy a whole base kit.

Offline SMOKEY

« Reply #91 on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 14:16:00 »
Hello everyone,

I have quite a few updates for you today:

1. BASE

•   Basekit has been completely reworked to support as many layouts as possible straight out the base kit.
•   Since over 80% of the 186 people who filled out the IC FORM wanted this to be R5... Bottom Row is now R5
•   ذ  letter has been correctly aligned / lowered to match every other in the numrow
•   1.5u R5 Super has been added, to support Mac users
•   1u R5 Alt has been added, to support Mac users
•   R5 1u Meta Key has been added, which is intended to be used as a R5 Fn or any other generic R5 1u key.
•   2c Spacebar has been added
•   2.25c Spacebar has been added
•   2.75c Spacebar has been added
•   Alice B is now in Basekit
•   Accent Esc is now in Basekit
•   Accent ANSI is now in Basekit
•   Accent ISO Enter is now in Basekit
•   Accent Arrows are now in Basekit
•   Accent Numpad Enter is now in Basekit
•   Esc and Accent Esc don't have ذ letter anymore. This just didn't fully make sense, since you don't see Esc with `~ sublegends pretty much ever, let alone Esc with ろ sublegends in hiragana kits, for example.

2. SPACEBARS

•   There is a dedicated Spacebar kit now. Together, Base- and Spacebar Kits support:
•   Alice and other ergo layouts in both 2.25–1, 2.75 and 2–1.25, 2.75 configurations
•   Accent options for 6.25u, 7u and larger Alice bars
•   Standard split 6.25u space configurations: 2.75–1.25–2.25 and 2.25–1.25–2.75
•   Standard split 7u space configuration: 3–1–3
•   Boards that use 6u centered-stem space
•   Boards that use 3u space

3. 40S

•    There is a dedicated 40s Kit now, which supports layouts like:
•   4x12 Planck default & community layouts
•   5x12 Preonic default & community layouts
•   Standard 12u staggered layouts
•   Standard 13u staggered layouts
•   Minivan and derivatives
•   UT47.2, Whimsy and derivatives

3. GREEK ADDON

Even if that is not obvious, this kit changed the most. With this kit, I want to fix many issues that have been in Cherry / GMK Greek kits for a long time

•   ΅ sublegend on ς key. ς isn't a separate letter; it's just a word-final version of Σσ. So its shifted position is used for a combined dyalitika-tonos accent character. You often don't see this character on sets with Greek sublegends because some of them are limited to alphas only, or base layer only. But since I have ;: and ΄¨ as base+shift sublegends, it would make sense to include ς΅ as well.
•   ς lowercase letter. Because it really is, unlike the rest of the letters.
•   Ψ letter fix. All known Kits are using Ψ and Θ shapes, which are really off. Cherry's Ψ has two 'arcs' instead of one (it's like U|U instead of ╰|╯).

How it is: / How it should be:

•   Θ letter fix. For the Θ, the line in the middle isn't supposed to touch the inner edge of the circle. This, on doubleshot sets, might be done that way because of the limitations that doubleshot injection has. But since my set uses UV print, I can do it right here.

•   Γ letter fix. Γ and E should be about the same width; as well as Ρ and the top half of Β.

•   X letter fix. All known Kits are using the Cherry Latin X legend instead of having a proper Greek X that matches the other Greek legends in width.

•   Λ and Δ letter fixes. Λ and Δ should be the same width compared to A. In Greek, Α, Λ and Δ use the same base shape (Λ) and then just differ in the placement of the horizontal stroke (or lack thereof). So those three glyphs should have the same proportions for the triangle part.

•   Ω letter fix. In this second case, too, you can tell this was maybe done because of the limitations that doubleshot injection has. But in this set, I can be more flexible and do it properly

I really think I, with the awesome help of konstantin and Manzel, was able to bring all the kits to the next level.

4. QUESTION ABOUT MODS

And now, one more important thing:

I really wanted to make this set Icon mods, as all OG DE and UK Cherry boards did come with those.
But I can find a literal ton of feedback in the IC FORM like this:

So I would be open to run this in Icon+Text mods if the demand is high enough or 'more people' want it.
I made a specific IC FORM just for that.
Please be so kind and decide there, if you want this to be Icon mods or Icon+Text mods.

Much appreciated.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 February 2021, 03:53:43 by SMOKEY »

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
Re: [IC] GMK Classic Arabic ...and more | BIG UPDATE
« Reply #92 on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 16:07:41 »
Putting aside the problems that could arise re: respecting cultures across the world (or rather a potential lack of doing so), there's an overall lack of professionalism in the responses to genuine concern/criticisms in this thread and I don't know that it bodes well for this set.

You should be more aware that the community is going to remember what happened with your previous set(s) and you should take that into consideration when hearing their feedback and concerns. I am not sure why you chose to create this set, but given that it's once again representing another world culture you should probably be a little more open minded and professional when addressing concerns. You come across as extremely dismissive at times and a little childish in your responses to criticism.

Best of luck. I hope you can get this set to a point where people feel comfortable using it and supporting it.
I'm not gonna comment on the feedback in your first two paragraphs since there is plenty discussion here already.

With regards to your last paragraph - what do you think is the right balance?

Geekhack hates posts that are too early, regarded as low effort and lazy. Geekhack also seems to hate posts that have a lot of obvious effort and time put into it when it includes vendors announced.

So is the sweet spot to post IC prior to vendor announcement? Is that the boundary of "advertisement" including a vendor?

I know people that have purposefully withheld vendors being announced because they don't want to be yelled at for being an "ad". They add it in later to show some sort of progress.

This is super confusing to me on these expectations and there is no clear answer.

My opinion on this topic is pretty simple: does the designer show any incentive to improve, change, and listen to feedback during the IC phase?

If they are straight up denying feedback or show no incentive to change because for them, it's quite literally just an ad for the GB, then yes, they are using an IC as marketing.

But the simple claim that just because an IC has vendors, collabs, etc, announced doesn't immediately make them using an IC as a marketing platform for GB imo.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 16:49:02 »
I was excited to see the title Classic Arabic. It's a beautiful layout (no surprise - the Arabic alphabet itself is beautiful), which is nearly impossible to acquire an "original" of.

I'm entirely turned off by your font choice for the Arabic alphabet though; I think it clashes severely with the Latin Cherry font. There's been a lot of comments regarding R5 and icon mods being necessary to keep the set true to the "Classic" (original Cherry) title, but I'm surprised nobody's commented on the font. For reference, here's the font Cherry used in the first place for their Arabic models, which I think works much better with the Latin Cherry font:

262719-0
262722-1
Originally posted with more photos by 블루스톤 on kbdmania

That said though, Cherry aren't famed for being perfectionists when it comes to producing keyboards with less common layouts. As pointed out in this thread, their Greek boards were.. not exactly Greek (although it was theorized they could have been for the Cypriot market). People have also pointed out issues with their Russian keyboards. If their attempt at Arabic was as poor as their attempt at Greek, it wouldn't be a good idea to proceed with replicas of their legends either.

Since there are a fair few Arabic speakers in this thread: what do you reckon about Cherry's attempt at Arabic? Did they do a good job of it or another awful one?

You sound, like, super corporate, man. It's not what you said, but how you said it. I think money's on your mind.
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 February 2021, 17:32:23 by Photekq »
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #94 on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 17:20:03 »
I was excited to see the title Classic Arabic. It's a beautiful layout (no surprise - the Arabic alphabet itself is beautiful), which is nearly impossible to acquire an "original" of.

I'm entirely turned off by your font choice for the Arabic alphabet though; I think it clashes severely with the Latin Cherry font. There's been a lot of comments regarding R5 and icon mods being necessary to keep the set true to the "Classic" (original Cherry) title, but I'm surprised nobody's commented on the font. For reference, here's the font Cherry used in the first place for their Arabic models, which I think works much better with the Latin Cherry font:

(Attachment Link)
Originally posted with more photos by 블루스톤 on kbdmania

That said though, Cherry aren't famed for being perfectionists when it comes to producing keyboards with less common layouts. As pointed out in this thread, their Greek boards were.. not exactly Greek (although it was theorized they could have been for the Cypriot market). People have also pointed out issues with their Russian keyboards. If their attempt at Arabic was as poor as their attempt at Greek, it wouldn't be a good idea to proceed with replicas of their legends either.

Since there are a fair few Arabic speakers in this thread: what do you reckon about Cherry's attempt at Arabic? Did they do a good job of it or another awful one?

You sound, like, super corporate, man. It's not what you said, but how you said it. I think money's on your mind.

I didn't sleep well last night so I feel like a zombie today. Probably came off that way in my response.

tl;dr an "ad" IC should be judged by whether they are taking and accepting feedback, not because they have vendors and collabs announced. But that's my opinion.

Offline saad117

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 11:48:37 »

edit

Yes, you're absolutely right the green color has a large meaning for us in the Islamic & Arabic world.

Thank you for your choice.

Offline SMOKEY

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 23 February 2021, 03:30:07 »

edit

Yes, you're absolutely right the green color has a large meaning for us in the Islamic & Arabic world.

Thank you for your choice.

Thank you very much. I deeply appreciate that.

Some Updates, again:

40S:

•   LOWER and RAISE are now R5, too, how they should be to proper accomodate for Planck and Preonic layouts
•   R5 UP ARROW has been added for the same reasons

Also, here are some new renders:

HAUS by Hand Engineering

Šaša 65 by Sale

« Last Edit: Tue, 23 February 2021, 03:54:27 by SMOKEY »

Offline SMOKEY

« Reply #97 on: Sun, 07 March 2021, 15:37:05 »
Hi everyone,

another update today:

1. New Render

SATURN60 by Ace Keyboard Co.

2. Deskmats

Pattern

Border

3. New Collaboration

KeyCravings

Stay safe!

Offline Sterenke

« Reply #98 on: Sun, 07 March 2021, 20:52:18 »
40s kit is nice, I'm in.

Offline sup3r170va

« Reply #99 on: Mon, 08 March 2021, 07:13:31 »
Consider running the Greek as a full set instead of an alpha add on.