Author Topic: whats today's rant?  (Read 98993 times)

Offline db_Iodine

whats today's rant?
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 14 November 2010, 05:13:37 »
Quote from: Rajagra;246448
Same here, though I have suspected my being across the pond was a part of the problem, or at least exacerbating an existing problem. Or Firefox compatiblity?

Sometimes when I submit a comment there is a long delay, I wait patiently, but it eventually says: "you need to wait 30s between submissions" as if I submitted twice (I haven't.) If I reload the thread my comment is there.

But when it works normally there is no speed problem.

Just now I had two tabs of geekhack open and pressed f5 for both. The other tab loaded instantly but the other took more than 10 seconds to load. Veery annoying when this happens.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
whats today's rant?
« Reply #101 on: Sun, 14 November 2010, 06:46:54 »
Geekhack has definitely been slow as hell for me lately too (I'm in the USA). Someone should let iMav know!

Offline wellington1869

whats today's rant?
« Reply #102 on: Sun, 14 November 2010, 15:20:16 »
I hate david pogue.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
whats today's rant?
« Reply #103 on: Sun, 14 November 2010, 16:53:49 »
Quote from: keyboardlover;246630
Geekhack has definitely been slow as hell for me lately too (I'm in the USA). Someone should let iMav know!

I've been noticing the same lately. Maybe they're doing maintanence at the server or something.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline Lanx

whats today's rant?
« Reply #104 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 00:35:20 »
pogue is just boring to watch. What is he a geek with a journalism degree?

Offline wellington1869

whats today's rant?
« Reply #105 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 07:37:11 »
Quote from: Lanx;246906
pogue is just boring to watch. What is he a geek with a journalism degree?

what i hate about pogue:
a) infantilization of everything computer-related.  He dumbs down everything tech like he's talking to a 90 year old invalid (or to a 2 year old child), thereby also is very inaccurate in his comparisons and descriptions most of the time. How he became the tech editor at the times is beyond me.
b) insufferable apple fan boy
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 November 2010, 07:53:29 by wellington1869 »

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline wellington1869

whats today's rant?
« Reply #106 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 10:06:17 »
Quote from: ripster;246955

He graduated from Yale University in 1985, summa cum laude with Distinction in Music.[1] He spent ten years working in New York, for a time in the office of Music Theatre International and also intermittently as a Broadway musical conductor.

actually that explains his total lack of computer knowledge!

Now Walter is a bit boring.

everything i know about walt mosspuppet comes from this site

fs=1&hl=en_US">
fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385">[/youtube]

Offline wellington1869

whats today's rant?
« Reply #107 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 11:54:17 »
Quote from: ripster;246999
My rant today is about excessive whining.

See above.

oh stop whining.

Offline Lanx

whats today's rant?
« Reply #108 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 14:52:23 »
Quote from: wellington1869;246946

b) insufferable apple fan boy

LOL, i'm pretty sure if your in the media and your a reporter, you "HAVE" to be an apple fanboi. That's how they all are, no opinions no thought process.

Offline mr_a500

whats today's rant?
« Reply #109 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 15:13:31 »
Improper word usage annoys the hell out of me. I hate when people say "impacted" when they mean "affected" or when they use "issue" instead of "problem".

"The school closure will impact nearly 1200 school children." No, it won't! The school closure will affect nearly 1200 school children. The children won't be impacted, unless the school is hit by an asteroid while they're inside - mashing them into a gooey paste. ("How many children were impacted?" "All of them.")

"My computer is having issues." Issues? Issues?? No, your computer has problems! (and so do you!) What's next - "math issues" in school textbooks instead of "math problems"??

Offline mr_a500

whats today's rant?
« Reply #110 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 15:24:24 »
Quote from: clickclack;246402
give this man a beer! 100% spot on!

Thanks, but... I hate beer. (did my percentage just go down? :wink:)

I prefer a good wine. (...and a good whine)

I hate coffee too. It's really annoying that they give out free coffee all over the place, but usually don't have tea - or if they do, it's really crap tea.

Offline mr_a500

whats today's rant?
« Reply #111 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 15:34:25 »
Quote from: ripster;247160
Only women drink tea in America.

And some foreigners.

I went to Texas once (not by choice) and I ordered tea with my lunch at a restaurant. The waiter was totally confused. He didn't know what I was trying to say. Eventually he got it... or so I thought... but then he brought me an iced tea. I said, "No, I wanted hot tea." He furrowed his brow in a vain attempt to understand, but still couldn't figure it out. I said, "You know - hot water and a tea bag?" He said, "No, we ain't got that. Just this."

It wasn't a cheap restaurant like a Denny's or something. It was an expensive restaurant.

Offline TexasFlood

whats today's rant?
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 15:40:20 »
Quote from: mr_a500;247170
I went to Texas once (not by choice) and I ordered tea with my lunch at a restaurant. The waiter was totally confused. He didn't know what I was trying to say. Eventually he got it... or so I thought... but then he brought me an iced tea. I said, "No, I wanted hot tea." He furrowed his brow in a vain attempt to understand, but still couldn't figure it out. I said, "You know - hot water and a tea bag?" He said, "No, we ain't got that. Just this."

It wasn't a cheap restaurant like a Denny's or something. It was an expensive restaurant.

When I was a kid growing up in the Texas hill country, iced tea was the only tea I knew of so I can somewhat understand this.  Few folks were mad enough to drink hot tea in the Texas heat!  Oh and in case you were wondering, we drank hot chocolate or cider in the winter.  I know better now, but didn't then.  Times, cultures, and knowledge of other cuisines change over time and improve with 100s of TV channels and easy Internet access, :wink:.

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
whats today's rant?
« Reply #113 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 15:52:17 »
I miss my sugarless Green Tea... (iced tea in Canada is crap).
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline wellington1869

whats today's rant?
« Reply #114 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 15:58:44 »
i just want to add that like clickclack i agree with every one of a500's rants so far. well done, rant-meister.

Offline mr_a500

whats today's rant?
« Reply #115 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 15:59:16 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;247175
When I was a kid growing up in the Texas hill country, iced tea was the only tea I knew of so I can somewhat understand this.  Few folks were mad enough to drink hot tea in the Texas heat!  Oh and in case you were wondering, we drank hot chocolate or cider in the winter.  I know better now, but didn't then.  Times, cultures, and knowledge of other cuisines change over time and improve with 100s of TV channels and easy Internet access, :wink:.

I didn't find Texas that hot. The whole week I was there, it was over 100°F (meaningless to me unless I convert it to °C) and they kept saying it was hot - but it didn't feel hot. When it gets that hot in Ontario, it feels hotter - because of humidity and the thinner ozone layer which causes the sun to burn your skin more.

(Why can't the ozone thinning be more over the US instead of Canada? US industries are the ones who originally thinned it!)

Edit: I did like the grass in Texas. The grass is greener in Texas - literally.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 November 2010, 16:23:51 by mr_a500 »

Offline TexasFlood

whats today's rant?
« Reply #116 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 16:00:40 »
Quote from: ripster;247176
Then the southerners stick SUGAR in your iced tea (often a prepared syrup).

EGADS!

You really gotta watch the sweet tea, especially in some restaurants.  You might get something that resembles tea flavored corn syrup, yuk!.  Better off getting the non-sweetened stuff and putting sugar in it yourself if you want it sweetened.

Offline mr_a500

whats today's rant?
« Reply #117 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 16:02:17 »
Quote from: wellington1869;247184
i just want to add that like clickclack i agree with every one of a500's rants so far. well done, rant-meister.

You want to hear my rant about the War of 1812? :wink:

(Oh yeah, you've already heard that one. :canada:)

Offline TexasFlood

whats today's rant?
« Reply #118 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 16:02:28 »
Quote from: mr_a500;247185
I didn't find Texas that hot. The whole week I was there, it was over 100°F (meaningless to me unless I convert it to °C) and they kept saying it was hot - but it didn't feel hot. When it gets that hot in Ontario, it feels hotter - because of humidity and the thinner ozone layer which causes the sun to burn your skin more.

(Why can't the ozone thinning be more over the US instead of Canada? US industries are the ones who originally thinned it!)

Texas is pretty big and some parts are more humid than others.  It was fairly humid when I lived.

Offline mr_a500

whats today's rant?
« Reply #119 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 16:16:31 »
Quote from: TexasFlood;247188
Texas is pretty big and some parts are more humid than others.  It was fairly humid when I lived.

It was fairly humid when you lived? I'm sorry to hear you're no longer living. :wink:

Texas is small compared to Ontario.

Hey... that brings me to another rant: In American movies and TV, they always use Texas as a size comparison, like "It's HUGE. It's twice the size of Texas!" - as if everybody around the world automatically knows the size of Texas - or that Texas is so huge that twice the size should blow your mind.

Even worse - when "to simplify", they say something like "It's 12 football fields long." What the hell is the size of a football field? Which football field? There's American football, Canadian football, Australian football, football (soccer) - professional, competition, amateur. They're all different sizes! Why can't they just say how long or how big? Do they think people are too stupid to understand actual measurements??

They also "simplify" by saying things like "4 out of every 7 people will die". Just give a percentage, damn it!

Offline wellington1869

whats today's rant?
« Reply #120 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 16:28:51 »
Quote from: mr_a500;247187
You want to hear my rant about the War of 1812? :wink:

(Oh yeah, you've already heard that one. :canada:)

tee hee ;) i think you met your match on that one ;) I rather enjoyed it ;)

Offline wellington1869

whats today's rant?
« Reply #121 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 16:29:52 »
Quote from: mr_a500;247193

Hey... that brings me to another rant: In American movies and TV, they always use Texas as a size comparison, like "It's HUGE. It's twice the size of Texas!" - as if everybody around the world automatically knows the size of Texas - or that Texas is so huge that twice the size should blow your mind.

related rant: people never appreciate enough just how ginormous new york state actually is.

Offline mr_a500

whats today's rant?
« Reply #122 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 16:35:47 »
Quote from: wellington1869;247205
related rant: people never appreciate enough just how ginormous new york state actually is.

Bah! I could fit New York state in my coat pocket and still have room for a cheese bagel.

Offline wellington1869

whats today's rant?
« Reply #123 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 16:36:33 »
Quote from: mr_a500;247212
Bah! I could fit New York state in my coat pocket and still have room for a cheese bagel.

thats crazy talk

Offline Rajagra

whats today's rant?
« Reply #124 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 16:36:49 »
Quote from: mr_a500;247185
Why can't the ozone thinning be more over the US instead of Canada? US industries are the ones who originally thinned it!

It will reach them eventually, it's the Earth equivalent of male pattern baldness. Though I suspect the U.S. will deploy a combover to disguise the effects.

Offline mr_a500

whats today's rant?
« Reply #125 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 16:40:32 »
Quote from: wellington1869;247214
thats crazy talk

Yeah. You're right. I hate bagels.

Offline wellington1869

whats today's rant?
« Reply #126 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 16:41:29 »
Quote from: Rajagra;247216
It will reach them eventually, it's the Earth equivalent of male pattern baldness. Though I suspect the U.S. will deploy a combover to disguise the effects.

hair in a can, baby!  Ironically that will just contribute even more to ozone depletion.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
whats today's rant?
« Reply #127 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 16:46:16 »
Quote from: Rajagra;247216

Better start dispatching the Rogaine foam!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

woody

whats today's rant?
« Reply #128 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 17:46:52 »
Quote from: ripster;247160
Only women drink tea in America.

And some foreigners.

Almost nobody drinks coffee, too. FFS, how could the only place in California where I had real coffee was a community-run cafe called "Red Rock" (Mountain Dew, IIRC) ...
The other liquid which is devoured by the gallons is more close to "African American's sweat", if I might say so politically correctly.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
whats today's rant?
« Reply #129 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 17:58:08 »
I don't drink any sort of coffee. I just don't like it. It tastes bad to me, and my mouth and throat are sensitive to hot liquids.

I just drink milk and water for the most part.

Offline Lanx

whats today's rant?
« Reply #130 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 19:01:12 »
omgs i miss good bagel and cream cheese!

Offline wellington1869

whats today's rant?
« Reply #131 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 19:24:51 »
Quote from: Lanx;247268

i never want to be more than an hour from a good bagel at any time.

Offline mr_a500

whats today's rant?
« Reply #132 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 21:39:47 »
I hate people who constantly say, "You know what?" Even worse are the people who have an annoying attitude and say, "OK.. you know what?" (the "OK" is said quickly, with a short pause before the "you know what?" -  and is as annoying as a slap to the face)

And even worse than that is a loud annoying young bimbo with a *****y attitude, who says, "OK... you know what??" with both hands raised, palms facing forward, head twisting from side to side. These are usually the types that you can't shut up and can't reason with. You just have to stay away from them or you lose your sanity. It's just lucky for these bimbos that they live in this tolerant time period. If any of them hopped in a time machine and went back a couple hundred years, they'd probably be killed as soon as they opened their mouths.

(Edit: and by "bimbos" I mean, "bubble headed ignorant moron" - not the nice intelligent girls)
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 November 2010, 21:42:22 by mr_a500 »

Offline Lanx

whats today's rant?
« Reply #133 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 21:44:37 »
Quote from: wellington1869;247271
i never want to be more than an hour from a good bagel at any time.

I have to substitute good bagels with frozen lenders.

Offline wellington1869

whats today's rant?
« Reply #134 on: Mon, 15 November 2010, 23:10:42 »
Quote from: Lanx;247341
I have to substitute good bagels with frozen lenders.

i like the cinnamon raisin lenders with cream cheese.

woody

whats today's rant?
« Reply #135 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 04:24:37 »
Quote from: Lanx;247268

I miss my beagle, too.

Offline mr_a500

whats today's rant?
« Reply #136 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 06:47:50 »
Hey, this is the rant thread, not the "I like cream cheese on my cinnamon raisin beagle bagel" thread. (I'm sure there's one of those threads around here somewhere)

So get ranting!

Rant: I hate when people try to stop people from going off topic when they really really want to go off topic. They should be able to talk about anything they want to. (except bagels... and beagles)

Offline mr_a500

whats today's rant?
« Reply #137 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 06:58:39 »
I hate how every old keyboard sold these days is called "clicky" - without any attempt to find out if it actually is "clicky".

Hint: If it doesn't click, it's not clicky.
Hint #2: A "thwop" does not count as a "click".

Offline itlnstln

whats today's rant?
« Reply #138 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 07:57:08 »
Glad you enjoyed your stay in Texas, a_500.  It feels nice when you're about 500 IQ points above the average citizen.  Where where you at?  It's pretty humid here in SA (around 90% most days in the summer).  Since you were talking about green grass, you must have been near the coast or it was May or June.  The grass is pretty brown from July to February-ish.

Offline mr_a500

whats today's rant?
« Reply #139 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 08:18:09 »
Quote from: itlnstln;247444
Glad you enjoyed your stay in Texas, a_500.  It feels nice when you're about 500 IQ points above the average citizen.  Where where you at?  It's pretty humid here in SA (around 90% most days in the summer).  Since you were talking about green grass, you must have been near the coast or it was May or June.  The grass is pretty brown from July to February-ish.

I was just north of Dallas - probably late June. One thing I thought was pretty weird: nobody seems to walk anywhere. They all drive - even if it's within short walking distance. At the crosswalks, even though I had the walk sign, drivers were always shocked that somebody was actually crossing. I nearly got ran over at every crosswalk.

Offline itlnstln

whats today's rant?
« Reply #140 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 08:27:26 »
That's why we're the fattest state in the nation.  SA is the fattest city in the US.

Offline wellington1869

whats today's rant?
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 09:25:41 »
Quote from: mr_a500;247426
Hey, this is the rant thread, not the "I like cream cheese on my cinnamon raisin beagle bagel" thread. (I'm sure there's one of those threads around here somewhere)

good point.  I hate the way "bagels" in chicago are actually just "bagel-shaped bread". They're not real bagels at all!

Offline Lanx

whats today's rant?
« Reply #142 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 09:34:53 »
ok rant
I hate that the food here in amish ville is so bad that even the amish hate the food so much that they'll park their horse and buggy right outside of 5guys and go and order a few burgers

that's from my camera!

Offline Rajagra

whats today's rant?
« Reply #143 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 11:02:04 »
Quote from: Lanx;247486
5guys

5 guys my ass! I only see four people behind the counter and (at least) one of those is a chick. Lying bastards!

Offline mr_a500

whats today's rant?
« Reply #144 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 13:55:15 »
Quote from: Rajagra;247542
5 guys my ass! I only see four people behind the counter and (at least) one of those is a chick. Lying bastards!

One guy is probably on a smoke break - and they probably allow shemales and lesbians to count as a "guy". (There's a grey area there.)
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 November 2010, 13:57:28 by mr_a500 »

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
whats today's rant?
« Reply #145 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 13:59:42 »
Quote from: itlnstln;247444
It feels nice when you're about 500 IQ points above the average citizen.

Southerners are not a big bunch of idiots. Only idiots think they are.

There's my rant for today.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
whats today's rant?
« Reply #146 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 14:02:46 »
Quote from: mr_a500;247635
One guy is probably on a smoke break - and they probably allow shemales and lesbians to count as a "guy". (There's a grey area there.)

Offline mr_a500

whats today's rant?
« Reply #147 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 14:04:39 »
There's a big bunch of idiots no matter where you are. If you don't notice the idiots, you are one of the idiots.

(speaking figuratively, not aimed directly at MW)

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
whats today's rant?
« Reply #148 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 14:07:40 »
Well, there's idiots all over the place. But there's hardly a place where most people are idiots.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
whats today's rant?
« Reply #149 on: Tue, 16 November 2010, 14:15:09 »
It won't for long!