Author Topic: Why does everybody bash Windows 8 so much?  (Read 33011 times)

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Re: Why does everybody bash Windows 8 so much?
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 16:18:50 »
Well, Windows 3.1 is a good operating system. It's very secure on the Internet and uses very little system resources. And I can install it with only 6 floppy disks!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 16:20:49 »
Actually I don't want a start menu at all, nor this new metro thingy (I prefer to use a top bar with drop down menus, much faster...)
Under Windows 7 you just have to run a app like "Startkiller" to remove the star menu, but how do I easily remove metro under Windows 8?
Start8

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 16:23:33 »
Actually I don't want a start menu at all, nor this new metro thingy (I prefer to use a top bar with drop down menus, much faster...)
Under Windows 7 you just have to run a app like "Startkiller" to remove the star menu, but how do I easily remove metro under Windows 8?
Start8

Not sure if trolling ;P
"Bring back the Windows® "Start" menu with Start8™!"

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 07 December 2012, 16:28:29 »
Start8

Not sure if trolling ;P
"Bring back the Windows® "Start" menu with Start8™!"
I guess a little bit of both. i just Ignore Metro you dont see it if you stay on the desktop.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 01:16:01 »
This too: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38096.0

Mac OS you can install any number of times on any number of computers, in theory (although you are only supposed to install it on one).  No licence key.  No activation bull****.

GNU/Linux the same, maybe unless you have a support contract with a large Linux vendor who limits the number of nodes they will support.

A lot of games have an installation limit too.

No idea why - someone will crack it eventually anyway.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 02:29:02 »
If you guys don't like that Metro crap then just download Classic Shell (open-source project).  It bypasses the Metro and give you back the Start menu.  I've been using it for awhile now and it's great.  :)
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 10:19:52 »
This too: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38096.0

Mac OS you can install any number of times on any number of computers, in theory (although you are only supposed to install it on one).  No licence key.  No activation bull****.

GNU/Linux the same, maybe unless you have a support contract with a large Linux vendor who limits the number of nodes they will support.

A lot of games have an installation limit too.

No idea why - someone will crack it eventually anyway.

Why install Mac OS X when you can just install Windows 3.1? Windows 3.1 doesn't even need a product key. All you need is an x86-compatible computer with a floppy or CD drive and a hard disk and you're set!

And plus, Mac OS X is slow, unreliable, and way locked down. I can't even change the color of my window borders on Mac OS X. But I CAN in Windows 3.1. Or how about changing what you use for your GUI? Good luck with that in Mac OS X.

Windows 3.1 is also far more secure for Internet usage since nobody makes viruses for 16-bit operating systems anymore.

MAC OS X = MACsimizing Obsessive Stupidity for Xtreme dummies!
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 December 2012, 10:58:00 by microsoft windows »
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 10:25:30 »
That's not true about the GUI customization - OS X supports themes. (At least it did when I used it).

In fact, I recall at one point I had it looking like OS 6 :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 December 2012, 10:36:55 by keyboardlover »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 08 December 2012, 23:31:50 »
Windows 3.1 was not bad.  But how about Windows for Workgroups 3.11?  I used that more - it actually worked and was quite nice (although I must admit that I used to use its multitasking ability to run several DOS boxes at the same time).

Unfortunately most of the modern software I use does not run on Windows 3.1.  Chrome, Minecraft, Thunderbird, Steam, Eclipse and so on.  There probably are older versions that work with Win3.1, but they would be so full of security holes it is not funny.

You could argue why not continue to use Mac OS 9 or earlier ("Classic")?  Same thing - only older software works properly on it, if at all.

It's actually a toss-up for me between Windows 2000 and Windows XP as to which is best.  XP probably just wind out as performance is notably better than 2000.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Malphas

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 10:26:05 »
Except Windows Vista, 7 and 8 are all superior to 2000 and XP with regard to performance on modern hardware, compatibility with modern applications/hardware, reliability, security, etc.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 11:02:33 »
I've been using it since a few days after it was released.

I don't care for the new notification system.  The only way I know now if there are windows updates is to notice a small brown-on-green text message that disappears the second I log in.  No baloon on the desktop.  And then the update control panel itself is a full-screen app, rather than a conveninent "run it in the background and keep an eye on it."

Full-screen apps are pretty but only make sense when your resolution is, maybe, 1024x768 or less.  I want to resize and move my programs around to get good value out of my screen space.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 11:17:20 »
Except Windows Vista, 7 and 8 are all superior to 2000 and XP with regard to performance on modern hardware, compatibility with modern applications/hardware, reliability, security, etc.
What a pity some new programmable point-of-sale keyboards (and other industrial hardware) aren't modern. It's a shame I have to throw away my otherwise perfectly working scanner only because it's not "modern"... oh wait, it's still supported in SANE.

Offline dutmai

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 14:29:55 »
It is very hard to use if your monitor is not touch screen

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 14:40:17 »
It is very hard to use if your monitor is not touch screen
You ever used it because thats not the case at all.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #64 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 15:15:35 »
Performance and compatability on modern hardware is a no-brainer.  No-one makes drivers for chipsets or GPUs for really old operating systems any more.

Now that 8 is out, and XP is soon to lose its extended extended extended support status, I wonder how long manufacturers will continue to support it with new drivers.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #65 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 15:31:18 »
Open-source community drivers! Oh wait...

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 15:57:06 »
Now that 8 is out, and XP is soon to lose its extended extended extended support status, I wonder how long manufacturers will continue to support it with new drivers.

2014 isn't that soon for manufactors to drop support..

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 16:10:11 »
After paying for a copy of Windows 3.1 or Windows 98, if manufacturers don't continue making drivers for all their peripherals for them, one is forced to actually replace the perfectly good operating system you've bought, and buy another one, in order to stay up-to-date!

I mean, it seems like switching to Linux is the only way to escape this rip-off!

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #68 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 16:21:44 »
Oh my god, there is no 286 support?!? I can't upgrade my Goupil Golf to Windows 8 from 3.1? I has a sad. Not like it would fit on 40mb hard drive anyway... lol.
Actually I was surprised when it installed on an old Athlon 64 system of a relative. It all works fine except some the visual effects as the x300 gpu is too old.

Switch to linux is not always a help either. I noticed a lot of distros have started dumping i386 branch and other old device support. I'm still stuck on few version old crunchbang on my Via Epia I use for linux due to just that. Even linux is dropping some hardware because it is too old and not enough people use it to bother to keep maintaining for it.

Really it comes down a lot to people don't like 8 because they don't want to have to relearn anything. Many people really hate change.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 16:23:38 »
After paying for a copy of Windows 3.1 or Windows 98, if manufacturers don't continue making drivers for all their peripherals for them, one is forced to actually replace the perfectly good operating system you've bought, and buy another one, in order to stay up-to-date!

I mean, it seems like switching to Linux is the only way to escape this rip-off!
Can't tell if this is deadpan sarcasm or tragically serious.

Offline Malphas

« Reply #70 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 16:25:51 »
Windows 8 y u no run on my Babbage Engine!?

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 16:26:35 »
Windows Vista y u no run on my Babbage Engine!?

Show Image

welcome to 2008

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 09 December 2012, 21:50:31 »
Im a start menu fanboy, I do not like the Mac-Spotlight-esque "lol who cares how this environment is set up just type something in this box and ill find it for you" navigation that is starting to be popular (e.g. Gnome 3) or the wall-of-icons BS they are throwing at us (again, gnome 3 or the iPad OSx thing and now Win 8).  Consequently I find the best wall-of-icons to be the Modern UI of W8.
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 02:52:31 »
BTW why not KRunner, GNOME Do or something like that? It's fast, inobtrusive,...

Offline cponline83

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 09:19:15 »
I personally haven't try

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 12:49:42 »
Writing Software is hard. Really hard. Writing an OS is even harder. Why SHOULDN'T you pay for a newer version, with newer features, that took time to develop by real people, with real families to feed.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 12:50:02 »
That being said I love Windows 8.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 14:30:15 »
Writing Software is hard. Really hard. Writing an OS is even harder. Why SHOULDN'T you pay for a newer version, with newer features, that took time to develop by real people, with real families to feed.

I don't pay for new software just because somebody may've worked hard to make it.  Much of those peoples' "hard work" amounts to more crap on my hard disk, more obnoxious activation and anti-piracy measures, more dumb updaters, and less cash, that I worked hard for,  in my pocket!

Just compare Microsoft Office '97 to Office 2010. Just about all Microsoft did was add cumbersome and irritating anti-piracy and activation, change some fonts, shuffle around all the menus, make the graphics shiny, and make it hog up nearly a gigabyte of extra disk space.

But Office '97 runs perfectly fine on anything from a 486 with 12MB of RAM to an Intel I5 with 8GB of RAM. And I can just take my one disk and install it on as many PC's as I feel like using the same number. And it still works perfectly fine for typing up my documents and creating charts, graphics, and presentations. I use it all the time for work and have absolutely no trouble. And if somebody throws a .docx file at me? Wordpad'll take care of that.

Or what about Adobe Acrobat Reader? What was once a simple, fast, and easy-to-use PDF reader has now morphed into a monstrous, bloated mess that takes up over 100MB of disk space and constantly asks me for updates. And then "A-Dope" wonders why I don't buy their full version. Maybe it's because I've got better things to do than spend hundreds of dollars on a piece of crap?

I don't give a damn how hard those programmers and software engineers work, or how their life situation is. That's their business, not mine. If I find their product to a be slow and irritating heap of ****, then I just won't buy it. I'm a capitalist, and I put my money where my mouth's at.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 14:36:48 »
Regarding Office 2010 at least, they added a TON of new features that boost productivity. The graphics probably take up more disk space than the binaries, but it's not like they didn't add actual value.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 15:45:59 »

Reminds me of this:

There was once a programmer who was attached to the court of the warlord of Wu. The warlord asked the programmer: "Which is easier to design: an accounting package or an operating system?"

"An operating system," replied the programmer.

The warlord uttered an exclamation of disbelief. "Surely an accounting package is trivial next to the complexity of an operating system," he said.

"Not so," said the programmer, "when designing an accounting package, the programmer operates as a mediator between people having different ideas: how it must operate, how its reports must appear, and how it must conform to the tax laws. By contrast, an operating system is not limited by outside appearances. When designing an operating system, the programmer seeks the simplest harmony between machine and ideas. This is why an operating system is easier to design."

The warlord of Wu nodded and smiled. "That is all good and well, but which is easier to debug?"

The programmer made no reply.

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 20:36:08 »

To put it in perspective, XP came out in 2002, meaning that it got 12 years of extended microsoft support.

This is the sort of computer that would represent a pretty high end XP release build:

A Pentium 1.8 GhZ with a whopping 40 GB IDE HDD and 512 of DDR RAM.

Consider, now, that you can get from Dell today an i7 clocked at 3.9 GhZ, 8 GB Ram and a Terabyte drive for 799.95, and these two machines aren't even in the same solar system. You're not using a PC from 2002, so why are you so insistant on people using an OS from 2002?

Dude (pun intended) face it, XP had it's day in the sun and it's long past due to be put out to pasture.
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2012, 21:00:54 by Internetlad »
"Beep . . . Beep . . . Beep" -Sputnik I

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #81 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 20:50:20 »
also

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 10 December 2012, 21:02:59 »
Full-screen apps are pretty but only make sense when your resolution is, maybe, 1024x768 or less.  I want to resize and move my programs around to get good value out of my screen space.

You can resize apps, but only vertically. I can't remember how right at the moment. I think it's moving up to the top left and then dragging the app out onto your desktop (it will split the desktop area between the app and the desktop, or between mutiple apps)

You can do this as much as you like. Not as versatile as programs in windows, i'll grant you that, but it's still possible.
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 December 2012, 21:05:13 by Internetlad »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 16:14:07 »
You're not using a PC from 2002, so why are you so insistant on people using an OS from 2002?
I call BS on this.

• There are tons of perfectly working legacy hardware, I don't think new release of some OS is a good reason to throw it away.
  • Some hardware/software simply *doesn't work* on new releases of the OS.
  • Performance of most netbooks is still on par with old hardware (even Pentium Ms were more powerful than early Atoms, AMD E-350 is comparable to three years old C2D)

ROFL. What do I have to smoke to come up with ideas like this? O.o

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #84 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 01:26:10 »

I don't pay for new software just because somebody may've worked hard to make it.  Much of those peoples' "hard work" amounts to more crap on my hard disk, more obnoxious activation and anti-piracy measures, more dumb updaters, and less cash, that I worked hard for,  in my pocket!

Just compare Microsoft Office '97 to Office 2010. Just about all Microsoft did was add cumbersome and irritating anti-piracy and activation, change some fonts, shuffle around all the menus, make the graphics shiny, and make it hog up nearly a gigabyte of extra disk space.

But Office '97 runs perfectly fine on anything from a 486 with 12MB of RAM to an Intel I5 with 8GB of RAM. And I can just take my one disk and install it on as many PC's as I feel like using the same number. And it still works perfectly fine for typing up my documents and creating charts, graphics, and presentations. I use it all the time for work and have absolutely no trouble. And if somebody throws a .docx file at me? Wordpad'll take care of that.

Or what about Adobe Acrobat Reader? What was once a simple, fast, and easy-to-use PDF reader has now morphed into a monstrous, bloated mess that takes up over 100MB of disk space and constantly asks me for updates. And then "A-Dope" wonders why I don't buy their full version. Maybe it's because I've got better things to do than spend hundreds of dollars on a piece of crap?

I don't give a damn how hard those programmers and software engineers work, or how their life situation is. That's their business, not mine. If I find their product to a be slow and irritating heap of ****, then I just won't buy it. I'm a capitalist, and I put my money where my mouth's at.

Dude, you said exactly what I was trying to say, just the other side of the coin. If you don't like the newer version, don't buy it. If you want to use it, then you should pay for it.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 01:27:29 »
ROFL. What do I have to smoke to come up with ideas like this? O.o

Nothing, actually. I'm curious what your problem with the idea is?

Offline DasHHKBProM

« Reply #86 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 02:59:21 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 February 2013, 00:10:10 by DasHHKBProM »

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #87 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 03:27:20 »
  • There are tons of perfectly working legacy hardware, I don't think new release of some OS is a good reason to throw it away.
  • Some hardware/software simply *doesn't work* on new releases of the OS.
  • Performance of most netbooks is still on par with old hardware (even Pentium Ms were more powerful than early Atoms, AMD E-350 is comparable to three years old C2D)

• You're making a straw man arguement. I'm saying specifically Windows XP is becoming more obsolete every week in the modern computing ecosystem. Run an install of Windows 8 and XP and tell me which one is easier? Bet that XP doesn't find the network, video, chipset, ETC. drivers right off the bat and basically do your job for you. Doesn't happen every time with 8, but it's a lot more likely. That's just one example.
  • You're talking about a specific task that needs to be done by a specific person. Sure, maybe Microsoft Money 1997 doesn't run on Windows 8 64 bit, but if we're talking limitations, there's a lot of stuff that doesn't work with XP (64 bit programs, DX 10+, TRIM (Garbage Collection is used on SSDs as a workaround for people who don't have OSes that support TRIM) to name a few.)
  • You're comparing apples to oranges. That's like saying "Well, Smart cars don't go very fast" Yeah, that's true, but that isn't the point of them.  They have a specific job and being really fast isn't it.

Also, @DasHHKBProM, I totally agree with you.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 December 2012, 03:32:27 by Internetlad »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #88 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 03:53:30 »
Your argumentation is based on a completely invalid assumption, hence there's no point in discussing it further.
You're not using a PC from 2002, so why are you so insistant on people using an OS from 2002?

Sane people don't run the latest OS for the sake of running the latest OS. We use software (and hardware) that helps us get stuff done. MS Win8 don't (yet).

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #89 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 08:28:26 »
Your argumentation is based on a completely invalid assumption, hence there's no point in discussing it further.

Sane people don't run the latest OS for the sake of running the latest OS. We use software (and hardware) that helps us get stuff done. MS Win8 don't (yet).

And what you said *is* valid?

Cause I seem to be getting things done with win8...

Offline iri

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 12:59:07 »
i don't bash windows 8. i've never used windows since xp.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #91 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 13:19:52 »
I'm slowly getting used to Windows 8 on a 13" touchscreen Ultrabook that work paid for, but without a touchscreen, I honestly don't see the point. 
Model M 1391401 1989 || Ducky DK9008G2 Pro LE || XArmor U9BL-S LED || CM Storm QuickFire Rapid

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #92 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 14:52:22 »
I'm slowly getting used to Windows 8 on a 13" touchscreen Ultrabook that work paid for, but without a touchscreen, I honestly don't see the point. 

I would tend to agree with you there, assuming you mean "over Windows 7"

For the most part it's Windows 7 with touch functionality. People love windows 7 but they hate Windows 7: Touch Edition?

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #93 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 15:17:08 »

I would tend to agree with you there, assuming you mean "over Windows 7"

For the most part it's Windows 7 with touch functionality. People love windows 7 but they hate Windows 7: Touch Edition?

Yep that's what I meant.  I really like Win7, and see absolutely no reason to "upgrade" to 8 unless it's for touchscreen functionality.  And besides live tiles, I find myself using the Win7-style "desktop" MUCH more than the metro side of things, even on the touchscreen.

I should disclose, though, that I'm using a Lenovo Yoga 13, which cameos as a slightly-too-large-but-functional tablet.  Without this specific form factor AND the touchscreen, I'm not sure I'd find much to love about Windows 8 that I can't already do in 7.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 December 2012, 15:19:50 by cytoSiN »
Model M 1391401 1989 || Ducky DK9008G2 Pro LE || XArmor U9BL-S LED || CM Storm QuickFire Rapid

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #94 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 17:24:25 »
Thats all some great BS there are great improvement under the hood that you guys seem to not care about at all.

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #95 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 17:31:47 »
Thats all some great BS there are great improvement under the hood that you guys seem to not care about at all.

Oh I care, but I'd rather see those under-the-hood improvements with a Windows7 GUI.  Anyway like I said, it's definitely useful for touchscreen, but I doubt I would even have tried it yet if work didn't pay my new laptop.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #96 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 17:35:18 »

Oh I care, but I'd rather see those under-the-hood improvements with a Windows7 GUI.  Anyway like I said, it's definitely useful for touchscreen, but I doubt I would even have tried it yet if work didn't pay my new laptop.
well just dont use the GUI i dont touch it i just stay on the desktop as i would have done with Win7.

Offline cytoSiN

• ATCG
« Reply #97 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 17:44:33 »

well just dont use the GUI i dont touch it i just stay on the desktop as i would have done with Win7.

That's basically what I do.  But there are still major changes, like no start menu, etc.  I don't mind as much because I prefer keyboard commands anyway (as you'd expect on GH), but some may be more bothered by it.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #98 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 18:43:59 »

i was thinking the same thing

Offline Internetlad

« Reply #99 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 19:30:53 »

i was thinking the same thing

The jump isn't nearly as large as XP>Vista or Vista>7. Yeah, there are some new tweaks and features (I do like the new Task Manager, and for the first time in history the copy GUI makes sense) Startup/Shutdown times are VASTLY improved and the UEFI BIOS, when used correctly, can be extremely useful. When you get down to brass tacks, though,  the desktop layout is much the same, the reccomended specs are very similar and there isn't any huge new feature over windows 7 (that I know of)