Author Topic: $50 postage from EK?!!?!  (Read 4501 times)

Offline concept73

$50 postage from EK?!!?!
« on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 09:08:00 »
Sorry not sure where this would fit in, but it will cost me $50 shipping to get anything from EK, how is this possable?!
im finding it hard enough to get any topre keycaps as it is so why do they have to do this?!

Anyone can help would be appreciated!
Poker 2 with reds
Soon to be a JD40 with reds

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
Re: $50 postage from EK?!!?!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 09:12:48 »
Sorry not sure where this would fit in, but it will cost me $50 shipping to get anything from EK, how is this possable?!
im finding it hard enough to get any topre keycaps as it is so why do they have to do this?!

Where do you live?

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 09:13:19 »

because you live in the UK?

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 09:14:23 »
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline concept73

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 09:22:10 »
Yeah i live in the UK, and i got my whole computer case from CaseLabs shipped from the US to the UK in a huge box priorty mail in 4 days for $60........
Poker 2 with reds

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 09:33:56 »
Yeah i live in the UK, and i got my whole computer case from CaseLabs shipped from the US to the UK in a huge box priorty mail in 4 days for $60........

When was this? USPS international prices have went up in the past year quite a bit.

Also you could get your caps proxied for cheaper shipping possibly.

Offline concept73

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 09:40:12 »

When was this? USPS international prices have went up in the past year quite a bit.

1 month ago, and please excuse my stupidity, but proxied? i get them sent to someone and they send them on to me?
Poker 2 with reds

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 09:48:09 »
Isn't there a more local retailer that sells Topre stuff?  EK is the distributor of Topre stuff in the US but there are other stores in other parts of the world.

Offline concept73

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 09:49:51 »
ALSO, im getting my hhkb pro 2 from the USA 3 days ago and thats cost me $26, so i dont know how EK are working their shipping, but sounds like a big scam to me.

Punishing anyone who does not live in the US

And i have not been able to find retailers in Europe that sells Topre keycaps!
Poker 2 with reds

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 09:51:46 »

1 month ago, and please excuse my stupidity, but proxied? i get them sent to someone and they send them on to me?

Yes on the proxied.

And its ~$60 for a medium flat rate box international which is probably what your computer case came in.

I wonder if the key caps your wanting come on a cardboard display and the size of that maybe impact shipping costs?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 09:57:34 »
The caps will come in a cardboard box. If you wish to have them sent cheaper, you could have a proxy order them for you, take them out of that box and put them in a smaller one. This would reduce your shipping to around $17-24, depending (not including shipping costs to your proxy).

And Ray, how would a computer case come in a medium flat rate box? Those things are tiny... Either it's been a long time since that case was shipped, or that number isn't correct.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 09:58:33 »
ALSO, im getting my hhkb pro 2 from the USA 3 days ago and thats cost me $26, so i dont know how EK are working their shipping, but sounds like a big scam to me.

Punishing anyone who does not live in the US

And i have not been able to find retailers in Europe that sells Topre keycaps!

That's not EK's doing, getting anything larger than a letter shipped from the US generally costs around 50 USD no matter who you buy from. There are a few exceptions, but when shopping from the US you should always expect 50 USD shipping and, depending on where you live, about the same amount in import taxes and whatnot.

The caps will come in a cardboard box. If you wish to have them sent cheaper, you could have a proxy order them for you, take them out of that box and put them in a smaller one. This would reduce your shipping to around $17-24, depending (not including shipping costs to your proxy).

And Ray, how would a computer case come in a medium flat rate box? Those things are tiny... Either it's been a long time since that case was shipped, or that number isn't correct.

Maybe they've cut a deal where they get to send larger boxes at no additional cost since I'm guessing international shipping of a computer case would be prohibitively expensive.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 September 2013, 10:00:15 by vun »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 10:00:07 »

I have no idea was just trying to make sense of it myself :P

Offline uzoc

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 10:02:53 »
Yeah UPS/Fedex/DHL prices are OUT OF THIS WORLD (when it ships out of the country).
For example to send a "priority" letter envelope to Argentina it costs from $79/$87!
To mitigate this I have to send it by USPS service about $25.
So try to use the postal service USPS (when possible) cause anything else is outrageous!

Offline concept73

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 10:06:37 »
All i want is a few Keycaps for my Topre keyboard :( is it so hard? nowhere else sells them,

But my keyboard coming from the US is cosing $30 to be shipped so its just fustrating!
Poker 2 with reds

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 10:10:12 »
Who is sending you your keyboard? You're getting a deal on that shipping. I'd wager it isn't possible to ship a HHKB to the UK for $30, so trying to compare is irrelevant.

Offline concept73

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 10:13:20 »
Who is sending you your keyboard? You're getting a deal on that shipping. I'd wager it isn't possible to ship a HHKB to the UK for $30, so trying to compare is irrelevant.

Ok it was $36

Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2 - Dark Grey - HHKB2

Price US $172.50 = £108.25

Postage US $36.24 = £22.74

Poker 2 with reds

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 10:14:56 »

Ok it was $36

Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2 - Dark Grey - HHKB2

Price US $172.50 = £108.25

Postage US $36.24 = £22.74

That's a good deal for the HHKB pro 2.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 10:15:07 »
You can't round down so astronomically to try to prove your position.

Offline concept73

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 10:17:33 »
My point still stands that its cheaper to get a keyboard shipped than some keycaps.
Poker 2 with reds

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 10:24:48 »
If they were shipped via the same shipping source, I'd wager they'd be the same price, being they're roughly the same size due to the box that the caps come in. Again, if you want to get them cheaper, your best bet is to proxy them, have them repackaged to reduce footprint, and then shipped.

Or keep complaining, which will do no good.

Offline concept73

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 10:27:46 »
If they were shipped via the same shipping source, I'd wager they'd be the same price, being they're roughly the same size due to the box that the caps come in. Again, if you want to get them cheaper, your best bet is to proxy them, have them repackaged to reduce footprint, and then shipped.

Or keep complaining, which will do no good.

Yeah im going to look into proxying them, thanks for the help,

But complaining makes me feel better :(
Poker 2 with reds

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 10:28:15 »
Why don't you simply contact EK?

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 11:10:44 »
Why don't you simply contact EK?

wait, what?

contact an internet based seller of keyboards by using what exactly? the internet?!?!?!
you're having a laugh!

sarcasm
Keymacs A620N-Rev.A with Alps SKCM Salmon switches

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 11:15:04 »
Kinda unnecessary comment
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 11:18:35 »
Kinda unnecessary comment

I guess this is a learning curve - GeekHack doesn't appreciate sarcasm. duly noted, and I shall refrain from further uses.

Offline concept73

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 11:26:25 »
Guys i have tried to contact EK, but they do not respond to any non-order related emails
Poker 2 with reds

Offline concept73

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 11:27:14 »
"The support e-mail below is for customers only, pre-sales questions will be ignored if sent to support! Kindly reference your EK order number if at all possible. Thank you:) "
Poker 2 with reds

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 11:33:52 »
Guys i have tried to contact EK, but they do not respond to any non-order related emails

there is a Sales related email address, which I think would be the most appropriate contact email to send to

sales@elitekeyboards.com

It is a bit naff that it's so hard to get hold of this kind of stuff here in the UK. I bought my HHKB from EliteKeyboards, before realising there were cheaper options (and ones where the warranty is honoured outside of the US), but oh well. I have the keyboard now, so that's that.

Good luck with actually getting the keycaps you want. Be sure to post pics in the relevant threads!

Offline concept73

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 12:03:36 »

there is a Sales related email address, which I think would be the most appropriate contact email to send to

sales@elitekeyboards.com

It is a bit naff that it's so hard to get hold of this kind of stuff here in the UK. I bought my HHKB from EliteKeyboards, before realising there were cheaper options (and ones where the warranty is honoured outside of the US), but oh well. I have the keyboard now, so that's that.

Good luck with actually getting the keycaps you want. Be sure to post pics in the relevant threads!

I dont suppose you have any spare topre keycaps for sale?
Poker 2 with reds

Offline badcop

• thorpe thocking master race
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 12:08:34 »
EK responds to non order related emails...they are just slow.
| MX Green Poker | HHKB Pro 2 White | HHKB Pro 2 Black | MX White Goldtouch TK Pad | Modded MX Red kul ES-87
| COMING SOON™ | MX Red GH60 | Ergo Clear GH60 |

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 12:09:37 »

sales@elitekeyboards.com

Nope, sorry! All I have is what is on my HHKB right now, plus the bog-standard grey Esc keycap that I removed to put the red one on.

Offline concept73

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 12:15:43 »

sales@elitekeyboards.com

Nope, sorry! All I have is what is on my HHKB right now, plus the bog-standard grey Esc keycap that I removed to put the red one on.

Ahh fair enough, ive got my Topre 3D in the post should be here tomorrow, other than that will be stock for the moment :(
Poker 2 with reds

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 12:17:27 »

sales@elitekeyboards.com

Ahh fair enough, ive got my Topre 3D in the post should be here tomorrow, other than that will be stock for the moment :(

You've got arguably one of the best keyboards you can buy (I know, I've got one! Love it), so no need for sadface :p