Author Topic: Strange collections  (Read 3337 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Strange collections
« on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 16:37:45 »
Okay, we collect keyboards. Nothing strange about that, is there? Most people are satisfied having one keyboard for one computer—but we appreciate keebs's immense variety and history, and go around scooping up different sizes, ages, switch types, "caps" (i.e. buttons), and so on. Nothing odd at all about having a whole room full of computer keyboards, is there? No, I don't think there is, either.

That said, I thought it'd be fun to look at some of the other weird unusual things people collect. Here's a good page to get you started:

25 Strangest Collections on the Web

There are people who collect things like decorative toilet seats:

...burned food:

...(that's a tortilla, folks); weird fortune-cookie fortunes (bored factory workers maybe?):

...air sickness bags:

...and perhaps most intriguingly, the guy who's been collecting his own navel fluff since 1984:

(Don't know about you, but I can't help wondering what causes the various colors... Diet changes? Or maybe the amounts of fire retardant in his fluff, as with keyboards?)

So, collecting keyboards—weird? Hah! The next time someone suggests that, point them to some of these guys. Then sit back and feel normal.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 August 2017, 16:39:45 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: Strange collections
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 16:45:45 »
I know people IRL who collect airline sickness bags. Thought it was weird at first, but when I saw some of the different ones I thought it was cool.

Things I have collected or still collected in my life:
movie ticket stubs;
coins;
the stamps from those CD catalogs from the '90s;
Pokemon cards;
retro video games;
modern video game controllers;
keyboards;
model kits;
Japanese toys;
fountain pens, notebooks, inks, and pencils (both mechanical and wooden); and
hardcover books.

I'm sure there are some I'm forgetting. Of them all, I'd say the CD catalog stamps are the weirdest, but nothing too weird, methinks.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 19:37:59 »
I actually used to collect ABC gum. I have no idea why, it seems pretty retarded now.

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 20:33:53 »
I have a couple of dozen bird's nests in a box. Each one is in a plastic ziplock bag.

One day I plan to mount them in a shadowbox frame of some sort.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 20:43:53 »
I have an office full of mostly empty cardboard boxes.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 23:23:07 »

that's better than filled cardboard boxes,  those are heavy..

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 04:19:34 »

I thought I'm the only weird guy that keep all kinds of cardboard boxes.......

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 04:31:25 »
I collect bad days at work.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 11 August 2017, 05:52:39 »

I have kept pretty much every keyboard-related package I've ever received, if that's any help.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 16 August 2017, 04:20:44 »

I have kept pretty much every keyboard-related package I've ever received, if that's any help.

I had a huge collection of cardboard boxes which I threw out because it got ridiculous. Then shortly afterwards I had a bit of a selling spree on ebay and had to buy loads of boxes from the post office... See, I try to sort my life out but **** like this makes me wonder why I bother.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 25 August 2017, 17:21:54 »
Hey, no kidding, that's the thing about good, sturdy boxes—you hate to discard them, because, well, they're so sturdy, and someone went to a lot of trouble to make them that way, and it seems a shame to go and flatten something that was deliberately made to resist damage, right?

And as futurecrime just pointed out, you may soon need some good boxes. So naturally, they accumulate.

I feel the same about keyboards. When you see good boards being discarded—boards that still work, even—how can you let them go into to the shredder? It seems a shame to allow something designed for the gentle touch of human fingers, something capable of producing great entertainment and literature, to be smashed apart by the non-gentle touch of destructive machinery. Same kind of thing, isn't it?

I don't collect any of that other crap you guys do, though. That's just weird.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg