Author Topic: [GB] Fox Lab - Key 65  (Read 566739 times)

Offline noodleman

Re: [GB] Fox Lab - Key 65
« Reply #1300 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 13:43:10 »
I have two of these, and I'm going to get one Cerakote'd a different color. I'm curious how the top Key logo fits in. Is it pressed in with an adhesive?
both are screwed in i'm pretty sure.

Offline edctog

« Reply #1301 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 14:30:22 »
Since the silicone pad didn't cover the spacebar area, has anyone inserted foam or sorbothane there to get a more consistent sound? I ordered a sheet of sorbothane already but just wondering.

Offline johnny2304

« Reply #1302 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 14:47:27 »
Felt like I should post a build, I'm still waiting on the keycaps but it looks great nonetheless. Super happy with this board, thanks Senter <3

To all my friends who are still waiting on theirs godspeed.
nice build, what stab is it? look very fancy!

Offline thecyangiant

« Reply #1303 on: Sun, 10 May 2020, 23:40:04 »
PC top and bottom, green middle. Green key logos top and bottom (brass weight). Brass plate layered with a botanical themed decal for upcoming GMK botanical.
My first build with mill-max sockets, currently running mint holy pandas and zeal stabs. I intend to shift to c3 stabs and may do zykos or whatever the t1 variant is called.
Dampening: in addition to the gaskets, I installed some leftover rubber from the gasket sticker pack onto the bottom of the PCB, as well as added o-rings between the bottom case and metal middle case to reduce vibration through the screws. I ran it for a while without the foam before installing it. I can confirm that even on a PC board it makes a huge difference.
More and better pics later.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Offline airyimbin

« Reply #1304 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 00:12:23 »
Anyone here got an extra plate they would like to sell? Looking for any of the metal plates with the universal layout.

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #1305 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 02:20:42 »
Invoiced: 5th May
Tracking: still to wait. :)

>EU

Offline Myk!

« Reply #1306 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 02:39:44 »
PC top and bottom, green middle. Green key logos top and bottom (brass weight). Brass plate layered with a botanical themed decal for upcoming GMK botanical.
My first build with mill-max sockets, currently running mint holy pandas and zeal stabs. I intend to shift to c3 stabs and may do zykos or whatever the t1 variant is called.
Dampening: in addition to the gaskets, I installed some leftover rubber from the gasket sticker pack onto the bottom of the PCB, as well as added o-rings between the bottom case and metal middle case to reduce vibration through the screws. I ran it for a while without the foam before installing it. I can confirm that even on a PC board it makes a huge difference.
Show Image
Show Image

Laser cut stickers?

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

Offline Ipse

« Reply #1307 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 05:05:38 »
Felt like I should post a build, I'm still waiting on the keycaps but it looks great nonetheless. Super happy with this board, thanks Senter <3

nice build, what stab is it? look very fancy!
They're stabs from zeal.
Nice! That's actually really nice that the led lights up the logo blocker. At first I thought it looked a little weird that it was a gaping switch hole underneath but think it works out well.
Yea it's super nice since the pcb has a led there for people without top blockers.

Nice build. Are those Helios switches?

Yea they are, great switches can recommend, I do want to try the new dragonfruits though when they do come out.

I have two of these, and I'm going to get one Cerakote'd a different color. I'm curious how the top Key logo fits in. Is it pressed in with an adhesive?
both are screwed in i'm pretty sure.

Yea, it's screwed it with a small screw.

Offline thecyangiant

« Reply #1308 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 05:47:53 »
Laser cut stickers?

If only! No, I applied a big vinyl decal to the plate and used a hobby knife to cut each hole out.  Not a perfect job, but certainly good enough - particularly since the switches cover any minor imperfections in the cuts. 

Offline vsrnth

« Reply #1309 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 05:49:09 »
Have the ansi plate files been released?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline superpringles

« Reply #1310 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 07:44:22 »
Extra plates did not come with extra gaskets? :(

Offline achan7942

« Reply #1311 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 07:49:34 »
Extra plates did not come with extra gaskets? :(
You shouldn’t need them, gaskets are placed on the keyboard not plates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline superpringles

« Reply #1312 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 08:08:21 »
I......... put them on the plates. Why did I do that

Offline Myk!

« Reply #1313 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 08:18:41 »
I......... put them on the plates. Why did I do that
I think because someone did on zfrontier.

Yeah it should be on the case

Offline att1cus

• * Maker
« Reply #1314 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 09:16:47 »
Anyone who got their shipping invoice on May 5th, do you have your tracking information yet?

Offline Myk!

« Reply #1315 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 09:23:48 »
Anyone who got their shipping invoice on May 5th, do you have your tracking information yet?
Paid invoice 6th May at 6am (+8). No tracking yet.

Im from PH.

Offline vi0till

« Reply #1316 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 09:24:07 »
I received and paid mine on 6th. Still no tracking. Guess it will take some times to ship.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #1317 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 09:42:31 »

Invoice paid 5th May, no shipping info.

Offline chrainer

« Reply #1318 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 10:06:24 »
guess it will take some more time - paid may 3rd and didn't get a tracking number either

Offline orim23

« Reply #1319 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 11:11:00 »
guess it will take some more time - paid may 3rd and didn't get a tracking number either
I paid 29th, just got tracking yesterday. so...it will happen. give it some more days.

Offline att1cus

• * Maker
« Reply #1320 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 11:12:34 »
I paid 29th, just got tracking yesterday. so...it will happen. give it some more days.

Thanks!!

Offline edctog

« Reply #1321 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 12:05:29 »
Show Image
Show Image

I believe so since you don't actually run a full PC board. The metal middle and plate will transmit more vibration. However, the huge improvement is from the airborne vibration, instead of structureborne vibration. By stuffing that empty space, you certainly will change the acoustics regardless.  However, I do think the o-rings will have minimal effect. Definitely they will have close to no effect if you have a full PC board.

Offline thecyangiant

« Reply #1322 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 12:15:14 »
...  However, I do think the o-rings will have minimal effect. Definitely they will have close to no effect if you have a full PC board.

I agree it's probably minimal at best, but it also serves to keep the PCB lifted off of the bottom case. My thinking is that if a hard press on the board can trigger the SMD reset, there is not great clearance. That's also why I added gasket rubber to the PCB.

Offline Dr0p

« Reply #1323 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 13:36:58 »
WTB 7u hotswap pcb.

Offline jeel7004

« Reply #1324 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 14:16:05 »
I was sent a hotswap PCB by accident, anyone in the US have an extra universal they want to trade?

Offline hcoopos

« Reply #1325 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 14:42:06 »
Shipment held - Available upon receipt of payment

That's not a good thing to see on the tracking

Offline noideawhatsgoing

« Reply #1326 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 15:06:31 »
Big shout out to Senter for putting this together. He's awesome and deserves a huge thanks!

:thumb:

« Last Edit: Mon, 11 May 2020, 23:39:57 by noideawhatsgoing »

Offline ele7087

« Reply #1327 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 15:47:56 »
WTB universal pcb + any plate

Offline limepie

« Reply #1328 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 17:40:17 »
Any possible way to order an extra plate soon? Im a big dumb and ordered the wrong plate for the hotswap pcb, so I don't have a space bar rip.
Also WTB 7U Plate in Yellow/White or Non-Hotswap PCB
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 May 2020, 19:00:21 by limepie »

Offline fc038263

« Reply #1329 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 18:35:46 »
Interested in the anodizing grey. Pm me if you're letting one go.

Offline cornballin

« Reply #1330 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 20:38:21 »
Finally built mine and here is my take.

I used a brass plate with a full PC case and hotswap PCB. With the middle gasket it was pretty hard to get the switches seated correctly without bending pins. This probably would have been easier with a solder board but I insisted on hotswap. Additionally, the plate seems like it was slightly bowed, so the switches right side of the board refused to stay completely seated while assembling. The thick rubber gasket between the plate and PCB made this more difficult. However once the entire keyboard was reassembled and screwed together, this problem straightened itself out. One problem remains, however, and that is that the large rubber gasket between the plate and PCB seems to be cut slightly inaccurately. Specifically, where the Enter key is, the gasket overlaps the wire on the stabilizer. This creates a lot of friction and enter is very slow on both the up and down stroke. I think I can fix this issue by disassembling the board and cutting part of the rubber away in that spot. This is a major annoyance now, but I suspect it is fixable.

The only other problem I had was after assembly, discovering that my PCB (both of them, actually) have reset buttons and they contact the bottom of the case hard. I ended up cutting it off and everything works fine now.

The board feels very solid and looks pretty good, and all of the keys besides the enter key feel and sound great. My other minor issue is that the board is winkeyless but the plate has a cutout for another switch under the blocker. On aluminum cases this won't matter, but on a PC case it kind of looks like ****.

This board will be really really good once I fix that annoying issue with the gasket and the enter stabs. I did kind of expect a little bit better QC for the price though. And the hole under the blocker on WKL does feel a little lazy to me.

Offline jackie89

« Reply #1331 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 20:43:30 »
Looks like there was a mix up in my order. My case top right logo was supposed to be e-teal but it's just white and the bottom weight was supposed to be teal with white logo. I actually don't mind the bottom weight - I think it looks great but I would definitely want the top right teal logo. :(

EDIT: Ignore the post, I am a dumbass.
« Last Edit: Tue, 12 May 2020, 01:19:08 by jackie89 »

Offline Tenturo

« Reply #1332 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 20:53:13 »
Has anyone built a WKL with polycarbonate plate? Everything on the bottom row for the polycarbonate is not lining up at all. Spacebar (7u doesn’t line up), Control and alt don’t either for 1.5u. My brass plate is fine, but the polycarbonate is certainly not. So when the switches are on the plate and you try to put the WKL top casing it won’t fit the right keys. I’ve posted an image below to demonstrate what I mean.
« Last Edit: Mon, 11 May 2020, 20:58:35 by Tenturo »

Offline att1cus

• * Maker
« Reply #1333 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 21:01:13 »
Has anyone built a WKL with polycarbonate plate? Everything on the bottom row for the polycarbonate is not lining up at all. Spacebar (7u doesn’t line up), Control and alt don’t either for 1.5u. My brass plate is fine, but the polycarbonate is certainly not. So when the switches are on the plate and you try to put the WKL top casing it won’t fit the right keys. I’ve posted an image below to demonstrate what I mean.

Any chance flipping or rotating it helps at all?

Offline fault_lin3

« Reply #1334 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 21:23:06 »

I could be missing something very obvious but is that not the split spacebar plate which is labeled for '6.25u spacebar + split spacebar version plate' in the OP?

Offline Tenturo

« Reply #1335 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 21:27:13 »

I could be missing something very obvious but is that not the split spacebar plate which is labeled for '6.25u spacebar + split spacebar version plate' in the OP?

Yep looks like this is the case actually. I just looked at my order, and the wrong plate was chosen foe the spare. Dang!

Offline kurple

« Reply #1336 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 21:31:35 »
Looks like there was a mix up in my order. My case top right logo was supposed to be e-teal but it's just white and the bottom weight was supposed to be teal with white logo. I actually don't mind the bottom weight - I think it looks great but I would definitely want the top right teal logo. :(
Colors were only for the key logos

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Offline finalarcadia

« Reply #1337 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 21:34:38 »
I'll take that e-white with teal board off your hands if u don't like it  o.o

Offline //gainsborough

• ALPSの日常
« Reply #1338 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 21:37:07 »

I could be wrong, but it was my understanding that the kanji logo was basically just an engraving, and so you couldn't choose a special color for the logo.  Only the key logo was available to select different colors for.  I went for the key logo though so I didn't pay close attention to the kanji logo options.

Offline jackie89

« Reply #1339 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 21:42:57 »

I could be wrong, but it was my understanding that the kanji logo was basically just an engraving, and so you couldn't choose a special color for the logo.  Only the key logo was available to select different colors for.  I went for the key logo though so I didn't pay close attention to the kanji logo options.

Colors were only for the key logos

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Looks like that was case, oh well. My dumbself didn't read, clearly! I still like it haha. Wonder what's the pantone on the teal, maybe I can try to paint it.

Offline Arithmetics

« Reply #1340 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 22:16:43 »
anyone have a link to a build video yet?

Offline H3NT4I

• 気持ちいい
« Reply #1341 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 23:03:41 »
242209-0

At first I thought all the gaskets and dampening was a bit much but I love the build in the end. Looking and feeling great!

Offline noideawhatsgoing

« Reply #1342 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 23:49:58 »
anyone have a link to a build video yet?

It's really straightforward.

Offline Knoxx

• Spends too much on keyboards
« Reply #1343 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 23:54:47 »
I'd just like to know the consensus from those who have already received their key65, for those with non-PC cases, is it necessary to snip the reset button?

Offline noideawhatsgoing

« Reply #1344 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 00:02:18 »
I'd just like to know the consensus from those who have already received their key65, for those with non-PC cases, is it necessary to snip the reset button?

No, mine was pre-clipped on both PCBs I ordered (hotswap). Just finished putting mine together tonight. It's really easy. Get the plate and dampener lined up, put it on the PCB, throw in the switches, then put the adhesive gaskets where they go in the case (check the first post). I'm pretty sure you only put the long gaskets/dampeners on the bottom part of the case, the shorter gasket/dampeners go on the mid and top housings. Put all that back together and you're good to go.

If you have the hotswap PCB, make sure you are pushing the switches in on a flat surface. I didn't do that for my ESC key and half the hotswap socket came off. I had to solder it back on, wasn't a big deal and it's a common issue with non-mill max hotswap.

Flashing QMK is also easy. One thing I'd point out is that you just need to hold FN + Esc for 1-2 seconds while the keyboard is plugged in to enter bootloader mode. I was confused and thought this was like a DZ60 where you have to hold down the buttons while plugging the USB in. Fox Labs' PCB is much easier, no need to test your dexterity like the DZ60.

« Last Edit: Tue, 12 May 2020, 01:04:20 by noideawhatsgoing »

Offline Felt

« Reply #1345 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 00:32:27 »

No, mine was pre-clipped on both PCBs I ordered (hotswap). Just finished putting mine together tonight. It's really easy. Get the plate and dampener lined up, put it on the PCB, throw in the switches, then put the adhesive gaskets where they go in the case (check the first post). Put all that back together and you're good to go.

If you have the hotswap PCB, make sure you are pushing the switches in on a flat surface. I didn't do that for my ESC key and half the hotswap socket came off. I had to solder it back on, wasn't a big deal and it's a common issue with non-mill max hotswap.

Flashing QMK is also easy. One thing I'd point out is that you just need to hold FN + Esc for 1-2 seconds while the keyboard is plugged in to enter bootloader mode. I was confused and thought this was like a DZ60 where you have to hold down the buttons while plugging the USB in. Fox Labs' PCB is much easier, no need to test your dexterity like the DZ60.

Show Image

This board looks stellar. Is that a black case with blue or teal accents?

Offline Tenturo

« Reply #1346 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 00:53:41 »
Anyone else not have enough gaskets for the bottom of the middle case, and the top of the bottom case? I have 8 long strips and there is 12 total long strip/gasket spots.

Offline noideawhatsgoing

« Reply #1347 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 01:00:27 »

No, mine was pre-clipped on both PCBs I ordered (hotswap). Just finished putting mine together tonight. It's really easy. Get the plate and dampener lined up, put it on the PCB, throw in the switches, then put the adhesive gaskets where they go in the case (check the first post). Put all that back together and you're good to go.

Show Image

This board looks stellar. Is that a black case with blue or teal accents?

Black with teal accents. E-teal came out really nicely.

Offline bananafritters

« Reply #1348 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 03:54:50 »
Paid on 5th May, receive tracking today. Item scheduled to deliver this Friday.

Thanks senter.  :thumb:

Offline Myk!

« Reply #1349 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 03:59:18 »
Paid on 5th May, receive tracking today. Item scheduled to deliver this Friday.

Thanks senter.  :thumb:
Wow! Hoping to receive tracking today to have an idea of delivery date.