Author Topic: [GB] Fox Lab - Key 65  (Read 567363 times)

Offline xenosen

Re: [GB] Fox Lab - Key 65
« Reply #1450 on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 15:38:51 »
Just finished building my Key65 and wanted to share my findings with using split backspace. My PCB also had the issue with the pads on the front and back sides not connecting. I was able to fix this using a mill-max socket on the pad. With the use of the dampening pad, you can't even tell that one side of switch is in a mill-max socket since the dampening pad is so thick.

Hope this helps anyone experiencing the split backspace issue. (Please ignore the poor choice of keycaps. This is temporary until Camping R2 ships...)

242643-0242645-1242647-2242649-3

Offline johnny2304

« Reply #1451 on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 15:49:34 »
Mine is currently sitting on hold in HK. 

I called DHL, and they said everything is fine, it's currently waiting for room on a plane to be shipped over to the US. 

Mine is also still scheduled for Monday 5/18 delivery.

same boat to Philly my friend!

Offline DZSlasher

« Reply #1452 on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 15:51:32 »
Has anyone had any issues keeping switches in the hotswap socket that have been using clipped switches?
Build with clipped T1s, have no issue. I am not using the thick dampener layer tho.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

That is good to know. I was planning on using the dampener if possible but I will just wait and see.

Offline Yahhms

« Reply #1453 on: Fri, 15 May 2020, 21:16:53 »
For some reason, even with this as the keymap, my caps, ctrl, win, and alt keys stay default. Other keys change just fine. Anyone have any ideas?
242660-0

Offline kabocha

« Reply #1454 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 00:48:01 »
Acrylic infill

Offline Knoxx

• Spends too much on keyboards
« Reply #1455 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 07:35:50 »
Just got mine and didn't expect the finish to be so glossy. Guess I'll just try to find a way around it

Offline bananafritters

« Reply #1456 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 09:25:28 »
Just a tip for those who intend to use the rubber foam, cut the area near the usb-c. Without cutting it, the area will be too tight to fit the switches.

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #1457 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 10:16:10 »
Thanks for the tip. Will do a test fit first as well to see if I like it better with foam or without. Also, mine just landed in Germany a couple of hours ago. I expect to receive it some time next week.

Offline finalarcadia

« Reply #1458 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 10:56:14 »
Not sure why people mention the area around USB switch, I had to cut near 'enter' stab instead

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline Knoxx

« Reply #1459 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 11:13:38 »
Thanks for the tip. Will do a test fit first as well to see if I like it better with foam or without. Also, mine just landed in Germany a couple of hours ago. I expect to receive it some time next week.

It isn't actually foam. It's more like rubber. Mine turned out fine so I didn't really need to cut anything out.

Offline DabbyBear

« Reply #1460 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 11:18:41 »

It isn't actually foam. It's more like rubber. Mine turned out fine so I didn't really need to cut anything out.

I thought we had guidance from Senter about assembly in the original post or something. Trying to assemble this blind with maybe cutouts here on the foam, maybe cutouts there just makes me rather uncomfortable. For a board that took cost $400 and took six months to receive, we should have assembly instructions set-in-stone. Just going off the notifications I have received in the past two weeks about people's builds, I'm still not totally sure what's "correct" and what's not in terms of the order of gasket, plate, and case...

In other news, I saw you said you received your kit. Any pics - I want to see what you mean by the glossyness.

Offline noideawhatsgoing

« Reply #1461 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 11:41:25 »
I had to trim the rubber around where the enter key goes because it was encroaching where the wire is, but besides that it fit just fine.

Offline nicx

« Reply #1462 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 11:46:07 »
Yeah, I am definitely regretting backing out of this one. Was worried about the logo etched into the PC but they look awesome. GAH~!~!!$#!

Offline Kohsta

« Reply #1463 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 11:48:24 »
Anyone have a good step by step for flashing with QMK? Thanks :)

Offline Knoxx

« Reply #1464 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 11:51:33 »

I thought we had guidance from Senter about assembly in the original post or something. Trying to assemble this blind with maybe cutouts here on the foam, maybe cutouts there just makes me rather uncomfortable. For a board that took cost $400 and took six months to receive, we should have assembly instructions set-in-stone. Just going off the notifications I have received in the past two weeks about people's builds, I'm still not totally sure what's "correct" and what's not in terms of the order of gasket, plate, and case...

In other news, I saw you said you received your kit. Any pics - I want to see what you mean by the glossyness.

Yeah I was a tiny bit annoyed at the lack of the build guide. Would definitely be more reassuring to have a guide on where to put what and how to flash your PCB all in one place, especially since I'm coming off my Polaris.

As you can see in the picture, the red isn't exactly as matte as the black, but it's not serious enough to make me regret buying it.

Edit: For flashing on QMK, go to the site that senter linked in the post and download the JSON file and load it up to kbdfirmware. After you finish mapping, compile it into a HEX file and download it. Once done, boot up QMK firmware, connect your PCB and reset it. Once QMK has detected your PCB, manually select the HEX file that you compiled previously and then flash it. That should do the trick.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 May 2020, 11:54:13 by Knoxx »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #1465 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 11:56:11 »

Yeah I was a tiny bit annoyed at the lack of the build guide. Would definitely be more reassuring to have a guide on where to put what and how to flash your PCB all in one place, especially since I'm coming off my Polaris.

As you can see in the picture, the red isn't exactly as matte as the black, but it's not serious enough to make me regret buying it.

Edit: For flashing on QMK, go to the site that senter linked in the post and download the JSON file and load it up to kbdfirmware. After you finish mapping, compile it into a HEX file and download it. Once done, boot up QMK firmware, connect your PCB and reset it. Once QMK has detected your PCB, manually select the HEX file that you compiled previously and then flash it. That should do the trick.

...where are your stabs?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Knoxx

« Reply #1466 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 12:07:30 »

...where are your stabs?

Not here yet. I don't have my keycaps either. I just put in my switches to test out the PCB.

Offline DabbyBear

« Reply #1467 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 12:10:23 »

You're totally right, it does look somewhat glossy compared to the black - but it appears you're still happy with it, so that's what matters  :thumb:. Thanks for the additional information on the set-up! Maybe once everyone has recieved their kit, Senter will release a build guide or something all in one place.

Offline limepie

« Reply #1468 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 21:58:18 »
In case anybody is interested, I've adapted the ISO plate file to an ANSI - Split spacebar one

Disclaimer:
NOT TESTED - DON'T COME CRYING TO ME IF DOESN'T WORK

Is it possible you can make an ANSI 7u space bar file? I got the wrong plate in my order so i'm just sitting here with a beautiful paper weight till I can get a new plate or pcb.   

Offline AMONster

« Reply #1469 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 00:49:02 »
Has anyone not received any tracking info yet? Or is it just me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #1470 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 05:52:15 »
I've gone ahead and created a PR for the Key 65 PCBs to QMK and VIA. Since I don't own a hotswap PCB, would appreciate someone testing the Hotswap variants and leaving a comment on the PRs with test results.

https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/pull/9116
https://github.com/the-via/keyboards/pull/141

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #1471 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 05:57:31 »
Has anyone not received any tracking info yet? Or is it just me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven’t received mine either. Just waiting to hear back from senter

Offline Myk!

« Reply #1472 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 06:07:27 »
I've gone ahead and created a PR for the Key 65 PCBs to QMK and VIA. Since I don't own a hotswap PCB, would appreciate someone testing the Hotswap variants and leaving a comment on the PRs with test results.

Good to see lots are contributing to make this VIA compatible.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

Offline MK47

• Don't talk to me
« Reply #1473 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 06:19:20 »
In case anybody is interested, I've adapted the ISO plate file to an ANSI - Split spacebar one

Disclaimer:

Is it possible you can make an ANSI 7u space bar file? I got the wrong plate in my order so i'm just sitting here with a beautiful paper weight till I can get a new plate or pcb.   

Senter is going to release the plate files soon and I recommend that you wait. But if you are really desperate, I have adapted the 7u ISO plate file to ANSI. IT IS NOT TESTED. I will not take responsibility if you end up with another piece of paperweight.

Offline Myk!

« Reply #1474 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 06:23:29 »

Disclaimer:

Senter is going to release the plate files soon and I recommend that you wait. But if you are really desperate, I have adapted the 7u ISO plate file to ANSI. IT IS NOT TESTED. I will not take responsibility if you end up with another piece of paperweight.
He can simply print it then test fit on pcb

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

Offline Myk!

« Reply #1475 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 06:23:39 »
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 May 2020, 16:01:34 by Myk! »

Offline kabocha

Offline Myk!

Offline _senya

« Reply #1479 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 19:16:51 »
There are some 3M paddings included. One st is little ones - 16 of them are needed for gaskets (8 leaves, 2 sides each) - those are the short ones. But there is also a set of 8 long ones. What are those for?

Offline airyimbin

« Reply #1480 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 19:42:56 »
For some reason, even with this as the keymap, my caps, ctrl, win, and alt keys stay default. Other keys change just fine. Anyone have any ideas?
(Attachment Link)
Don't know if anyone has responded to you, but you may have to clear eeprom through QMK Toolbox.
The latest version 0.0.18 should have the eeprom clear fixed, so use that version.
After clearing flash your keymap again and see if it takes.

Offline kabocha

« Reply #1481 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 20:35:11 »
There are some 3M paddings included. One st is little ones - 16 of them are needed for gaskets (8 leaves, 2 sides each) - those are the short ones. But there is also a set of 8 long ones. What are those for?

Its for the middle / bottom case

Offline Felt

« Reply #1482 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 20:53:47 »

Its for the middle / bottom case

is it best to install all gaskets? or just the small ones? just the large ones?

Offline kabocha

« Reply #1483 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 21:44:01 »
Not sure what the typing experience would be like, but I would just go for it since they were designed as intended. See the OP for where the gaskets are to be installed.

Offline DuellM

• Keyboard Fatty
« Reply #1484 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 22:01:28 »
If anyone who got the POM Red or Yellow is willing to share I'd love to see how they turned out

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Offline Ipse

« Reply #1485 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 22:15:59 »

I did via PR a while back for both hotswap and universal, tested both. Seems to be working fine just waiting for a merge I guess. Though didn't PR QMK.

Offline _senya

« Reply #1486 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 22:24:20 »
Thank you! Result:

242829-0

Aqua Zilents 62, GMK Handarbeit
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 May 2020, 00:49:08 by _senya »

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #1487 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 23:23:07 »

I did via PR a while back for both hotswap and universal, tested both. Seems to be working fine just waiting for a merge I guess. Though didn't PR QMK.

Ah so you did. I'm happy to close mine and leave yours to be merged, though you'll want to link it to my QMK PR for completeness (or do your own). Leave a comment on my VIA PR with what you'd think is better, and I can update the productIds accordingly if needed.

Offline Sbaak

« Reply #1488 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 23:28:35 »
Nice and boring grey.

Mill max sockets. Trying out 67g Zilents. Assembling/lubing pandas. Cutting a reset switch. Figuring out why qmk wouldn't recognize it. whew, i'm done.
buuuuuuut it sounds great, feels great, and I am happy with it.

Offline Ipse

« Reply #1489 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 00:49:28 »
Ah so you did. I'm happy to close mine and leave yours to be merged, though you'll want to link it to my QMK PR for completeness (or do your own). Leave a comment on my VIA PR with what you'd think is better, and I can update the productIds accordingly if needed.

I don't mind too much, though I'd probably prefer keeping mine open since I've tested both and I'm assuming your qmk pr are just the files that senter didn't merge himself. I did link your QMK PR on the via one though. :D

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #1490 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 01:24:46 »

I don't mind too much, though I'd probably prefer keeping mine open since I've tested both and I'm assuming your qmk pr are just the files that senter didn't merge himself. I did link your QMK PR on the via one though. :D

Cool, closed the VIA PR. The QMK one was converted from the kbfirmware json and has some manual TLC, esp on the universal PCB.

Offline Ipse

« Reply #1491 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 07:41:08 »
Cool, closed the VIA PR. The QMK one was converted from the kbfirmware json and has some manual TLC, esp on the universal PCB.
Ah that's great to hear.

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #1492 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 07:43:27 »
Mine just arrived and I have to say this is one of the nicest kits I've gotten so far! No issues on the kanji weight, no issues on the PC plate machining, no issues with anything really.

I know senter and his crew wanted people to get some cool colours but this PC just looks too good to pass.

EDIT: If there is anyone else in Germany still waiting on theirs, I paid 39€ custom fees.

« Last Edit: Mon, 18 May 2020, 07:49:43 by Fnzzy »

Offline att1cus

• * Maker
« Reply #1493 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 09:24:42 »
Mine has been "on hold" 3 times so far.  Was supposed to arrive today.

Offline vsrnth

« Reply #1494 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 09:26:49 »
Mine hasn't moved from hongkong since May 11th :(

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline merkz

« Reply #1495 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 09:37:27 »

Well ****, just saw mine was on hold too :(

Offline DabbyBear

« Reply #1496 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 10:46:55 »
Mine has said on hold since last Thursday, but I've had some light hope that it actually is coming in today the DHL tracking states. Here comes the disappointment... :p
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 May 2020, 12:27:19 by DabbyBear »

Offline karmbit klacks

« Reply #1497 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 12:53:54 »
Nice and boring grey.

Mill max sockets. Trying out 67g Zilents. Assembling/lubing pandas. Cutting a reset switch. Figuring out why qmk wouldn't recognize it. whew, i'm done.
buuuuuuut it sounds great, feels great, and I am happy with it.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Hey quick question, are the stabilizers plate or pcb mounted? Haven't received mine yet but I'm ordering some keycaps and switches now.

Offline Felt

« Reply #1498 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 12:56:36 »

Well ****, just saw mine was on hold too :(
triple "on hold" as well. Absolute bummer.

Offline merkz

« Reply #1499 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 13:23:43 »
real sad boy hours