Author Topic: Where to learn about designing keycaps  (Read 4086 times)

Offline SolenoidJoe

Where to learn about designing keycaps
« on: Sat, 07 March 2020, 09:14:18 »
I'm curious about the folks who design and fabricate keycaps and other keyboard components-- how the process starts, what software they use, what kind of manufacturers they work with, how to change design based on material, the whole nitty-gritty of it.

Has anyone come across resources/forums where these folks hash out details and troubleshoot? I love assembly videos/streamers, and I'm getting curious about the early-stages of keycap and switch design.

Offline Zustiur

Re: Where to learn about designing keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 00:33:13 »
I also want an answer to this question.

Offline ZG2047

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 14:56:22 »
Watch the artisan keycap makers and go from there. a lot of them document their process on social media

Offline abstractkb

• Abstract Keyboards Homepage
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 18:27:33 »
Keycaps are mostly done thru the manufacturers GMK and Signature Plastics (unless you are talking about artisans, in which case no clue).  Chances are if you email either of them they will be able to tell you what you need to do to design and make it real.  To sell them, there are people in the community who will sell you renders if you don't know how to make them yourself.

You mentioned other keyboard components, so:
laser cut stuff - ponoko, laserboost
machined stuff - most people won't say their manufacturer
PCBs - JLCPCB, PCBWay, most PCB manufacturers do it fine if you don't have any particular requirements
Aliexpress and Alibaba for all sorts of manufacturers and parts

Offline Pylon

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 12 May 2020, 20:37:33 »
feature=youtu.be

Offline azzipa

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 10:06:43 »
keychatter blog is a good resource. The author goes by @livingspeedbump and he’s written a ton of stuff, been involved in the community for years. He’s also done collabs w Drop and has some articles there. This one might help:

https://drop.com/talk/475/what-goes-into-creating-a-custom-keycap-set

There’s also a ton of information here but you might need to spend some time digging threads and reading about what works and what doesn’t. For ever successful set of keycaps there are many that don’t fly. Take your time because Even though there is no magic formula you can improve your odds of success. Good luck.

:thumb: