Author Topic: [GB] Ergodox PCB in Europe - 25€ each [Complete]  (Read 35515 times)

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
Re: [GB] Ergodox PCB in Europe - 25€ each [Shipping To Me]
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 02:34:04 »
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline dgalan

Re: [GB] Ergodox PCB in Europe - 25€ each [Complete]
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 03 December 2013, 03:19:47 »
Indeed, they look fabulous.

Offline Tensor

« Reply #102 on: Sun, 08 December 2013, 15:57:33 »
It's not feasible for me to get them from there if I only order 20 pieces or so. Shipping is 60 dollars and I will most likely have to pay import duties, I'll rather buy them for twice that price somewhere in Europe.
I currently found similar connector in Poland. It has the same pin layout but different signals. This is easy to overcome with crossed over wires connecting two sides of the keyboard, but would make keyboards assembled by us incompatible with standard cables. Still we would of course share the guides how to make or modify cables for them to work.

Does it matter if the signals are different? As long as both keyboard halves use the same TRRS socket it should be fine?

Offline czarek

• Keep the momentum going!
    • FalbaTech
« Reply #103 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 08:39:36 »
Well I have received them, and although they don't match perfectly, we managed to get them onto the boards without any modifications to the PCB. All signals go through and the only thing that will have to be different is the TRRS cable. I'm still waiting for the expanders (MCP23018) to build the final working prototype. Once the prototype is ready and working I'll be offering sets of electronics with the PCBs. They will have those connectors soldered onto the PCBs (as they're not straight forward to install) and custom TRRS cables.

I have a question for you though. Will the keyboard work with only one part (right one with teensy) and without the other one connected (the one I have incomplete due to missing I/O expander)?
My little ErgoDox / GH60 factory: http://falbatech.pl

Offline Tensor

« Reply #104 on: Mon, 09 December 2013, 17:16:07 »
Depends on which firmware you use, but as far as I remember T.M.K. and the massdrop configuration both work with just one side.

I think they also both support hot plugging. At least T.M.K. does (just tested it).
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 December 2013, 17:24:59 by Tensor »

Offline LaugeGregers

« Reply #105 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 04:45:06 »
Does the Teensy on thise site http://nettigo.pl/products/503 come with pins?

And have any of you guys been able to find the TRRS connector on a European site, or at least where the shipping is cheap?

Offline komar007

• komar's blog
« Reply #106 on: Fri, 13 December 2013, 05:15:05 »
GH60 rev. B w/ ali's case|Cherry G80-3000 HFU/05|IBM Model M (51G8572)
Check out the GH60 project! | How to make a keyboard

Offline czarek

• FalbaTech
« Reply #107 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 03:27:18 »
Nothing to worry about though. I include pins in the package. Also if you want I can pre-solder them.
TRRS connector is a *****. I found the one that almost fits. It needs one pin and 2 pegs removed, then it's ok. I'm doing the modifications to all the sets of PCB + electronics I ship and pre-solder the connectors on the PCBs to make sure it all works and people don't have to mess with the mods.

Offline jalli

« Reply #108 on: Mon, 16 December 2013, 11:51:55 »
Due to how rare the TRRS connector is I have sometimes wondered about changing the design to allow using RJ11 since the cables, plugs and sockets are easily available anywhere, the downside would be that since they lock in place if you yank on one half you could break something instead of the cord yanking out.

Unfortunately I'm not aware of any plug that would fit the existing footprint of the 4 pin minijack.
Antonia

Offline janislaw

« Reply #109 on: Sun, 29 December 2013, 12:59:48 »
Hi czarek! Do you perhaps have any updates (despite the holiday season)?

Offline czarek

• FalbaTech
« Reply #110 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 03:46:48 »
I wasn't doing anything over Christmas as I really wanted to spend it with family and friends rather than in a workshop.
Just before the holiday though I started working on a new design for the case which is no longer based on Lister's layered case but it's designed from scratch only by looking at the technical drawings of the PCB (Gerber files from ergodox.org).
By default the case won't have the plate and will be slightly cheaper to make (left + right without the plate should cost you 40€ which I personally think is a steal) but it will be able to accommodate either aluminium or steel plate if you need one. I will be making polished aluminium plates for 20€ a set (10€ each) later on. Also once this design is ready (fully tested and optimised) I will start looking for a 3rd party to cut it out of aluminium. If the time allows I will cut another prototype today and this time I'll make photos. You will see for yourself this design is super hot :D
And the one more thing. I was looking for a black PVC in wholesalers but they don't have it. I found a black plexiglass though which looks super sexy (shiny piano black finish) but it's rather expensive at about 60€ for square meter (8mm thick) and they only sell whole plates which are 6 square meters so 360€ just to get started... Not sure if I want to invest my time and money into this thing, I think going straight into aluminium and having 2 options (budget white PVC and luxury anodised aluminium) will be better.

Offline clickclack123

« Reply #111 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 23:30:51 »
I'm in Australia but looking for any way to get an Ergodox, how much would postage be to get it all here?

I would like to get everything for a whole kit if possible - case, keycaps, switches, Teensy, electronics - the whole kit and kaboodle. I don't want to wait for another MassDrop groupbuy. I can't wait much longer to get an Ergodox!!  :'(

Do you have any idea how long it'll be before you start the GB?

Offline Tensor

« Reply #112 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 12:55:42 »
Hey, a slight bump :) Any ETA for PCBs?

Offline Thanatermesis

« Reply #113 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 18:22:28 »
I would need to buy 2 PCB's of ergodox, where I can buy them ? (yeah, for make 2 keyboards)

Thank you

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout