Author Topic: [IC] Nexus Slider (Alps Slider With a Cherry Stem)  (Read 46670 times)

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
Re: [IC] Nexus Slider (Alps Slider With Cherry Stem)
« Reply #150 on: Sat, 03 February 2018, 14:54:44 »
The added height, even though slight, raises eyebrows.  Here are my best guesses why.  Everything here is pure speculation, based on my personal opinion.

Floating keys have been a thing in our community for years.  This design was also made mainstream on gaming keyboards.  Many enthusiasts here are now adverse to this look. 

Custom keyboards have mostly started reverting to a more traditional look with inset keycaps. I’ve seen 3 recent group buys actually proudly stating that their keycaps are properly sunken into the frame (retro60, the doyu custom, and Leandren’s builds).  If you browse the comments in other custom board interest checks you’ll often see people asking how far up the keycaps sit.  It’s just a sticking point for many.  (Not all, but many).

Also, Cheaper (not cheap but not exorbitantly priced) boards often seem to miss the mark, with the keys not “floating” but also not recessed enough... leaving about a 1.15mm gap between the top of the case frame and the bottom of the keycaps.  Hence, your sliders make an alps board somewhere in line with cheaper Chinese custom builds.

Old alps boards and cheaper Chinese manufacturing don’t sit right on my mind. 

I believe these are some of the lurking factors surrounding the adversity to slightly raised keycaps.

I own all kinds of keyboards. Vintage, handmade, cheap Chinese boards, $500 custom boards.  I like all of them for different reasons.  I’m not saying that your new design is bad or wrong.  I’m just trying to help you understand the logic behind 1.15mm being a factor.

I can understand this, I am not happy that they are taller, but it isn't because it may make people think "cheap" I just would rather have the shorter height to allow alps and cherry switches to be on the same board even, which would be an interesting custom setup.

I will have to think about which version I will be running as there is only one that can be run, as there may not be anywhere near the interest in just clicky switches to warrant the inclusion of a second part. What also seems to be the case is more people want a solution that can't be made, and would rather have the short slider and leave those with clicky boards out of this, which includes me. So it comes down to pleasing people, when I can't even use my own product, which shouldn't happen.

I have an idea to fix the issue and at the same time keep it short, but I still think people would be against it as there is always going to be someone who doesn't like my product and will never be pleased no matter how it is done. As well the idea would require another prototype, which means more money and another couple weeks to figure this out, which I don't really want to do. It is just hard to balance which solution is the best solution in order to get the 11,000 needed to run this GB.
« Last Edit: Sat, 03 February 2018, 15:23:11 by BlindAssassin111 »

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #151 on: Sat, 03 February 2018, 16:05:53 »

I have an idea to fix the issue and at the same time keep it short, but I still think people would be against it as there is always going to be someone who doesn't like my product and will never be pleased no matter how it is done.
Why not throw out the idea for discussion?

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #152 on: Sat, 03 February 2018, 16:22:41 »

I have an idea to fix the issue and at the same time keep it short, but I still think people would be against it as there is always going to be someone who doesn't like my product and will never be pleased no matter how it is done.
Why not throw out the idea for discussion?

It is easier to show with a picture and my new computer wont even post, so I can't make the quick change to show it....I would have if I could have.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #153 on: Sat, 03 February 2018, 16:43:17 »
If you want to try yet another prototype I would be willing to fund it again

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #154 on: Sat, 03 February 2018, 16:51:57 »
If you want to try yet another prototype I would be willing to fund it again

We shall see, I need to get my computer working and will post the new idea to get feedback after I can make the change. I might have to buy new ram, so it may not be for a couple days.

Offline joelfong

« Reply #155 on: Sat, 03 February 2018, 21:28:54 »

I can understand this, I am not happy that they are taller, but it isn't because it may make people think "cheap" I just would rather have the shorter height to allow alps and cherry switches to be on the same board even, which would be an interesting custom setup.

I will have to think about which version I will be running as there is only one that can be run, as there may not be anywhere near the interest in just clicky switches to warrant the inclusion of a second part. What also seems to be the case is more people want a solution that can't be made, and would rather have the short slider and leave those with clicky boards out of this, which includes me. So it comes down to pleasing people, when I can't even use my own product, which shouldn't happen.

I have an idea to fix the issue and at the same time keep it short, but I still think people would be against it as there is always going to be someone who doesn't like my product and will never be pleased no matter how it is done. As well the idea would require another prototype, which means more money and another couple weeks to figure this out, which I don't really want to do. It is just hard to balance which solution is the best solution in order to get the 11,000 needed to run this GB.

A big part of the angst now is also due to the fact that your first prototype was perfect for tactile/linear alps. Like really perfect. So it really doesn't sit well that people using tactile/linear alps should compromise for the extra height when there exists a perfect solution for this group of people, I guess me included.

So if your new idea works, if you can keep it short and still have clicky switch compatibility, then go ahead with that. I believe this is the solution everyone is hoping and waiting for. If you can make that happen then be confident in your product and its success.

If that idea fails then you'll just need to reach out to vendors and see if anyone is willing to purchase extras for resale stock.

Don't forget that there is an active asian community that enjoys alps switches as well. Consider reaching out to Chinese vendors like kprepublic to see if they're interested in being the asian/china proxy or if they are interested in buying extras for stock.

And don't base your success off the survey or poll numbers because those aren't entirely accurate, especially because you haven't really been advertising or promoting your product much in the other forums, so it definitely has not reached all the potential buyers yet.

Offline cdn-mini

« Reply #156 on: Sat, 03 February 2018, 21:45:15 »
Unfortunately the thread starter uses clicky Alps so that's his priority. And you're absolutely right why would a linear Alps user buy a compromised design when the 1st was superior? 

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #157 on: Sat, 03 February 2018, 22:02:30 »
A big part of the angst now is also due to the fact that your first prototype was perfect for tactile/linear alps. Like really perfect. So it really doesn't sit well that people using tactile/linear alps should compromise for the extra height when there exists a perfect solution for this group of people, I guess me included.

So if your new idea works, if you can keep it short and still have clicky switch compatibility, then go ahead with that. I believe this is the solution everyone is hoping and waiting for. If you can make that happen then be confident in your product and its success.

If that idea fails then you'll just need to reach out to vendors and see if anyone is willing to purchase extras for resale stock.

Don't forget that there is an active asian community that enjoys alps switches as well. Consider reaching out to Chinese vendors like kprepublic to see if they're interested in being the asian/china proxy or if they are interested in buying extras for stock.

And don't base your success off the survey or poll numbers because those aren't entirely accurate, especially because you haven't really been advertising or promoting your product much in the other forums, so it definitely has not reached all the potential buyers yet.

Yeah, but therein lies the problem, it was meant to be a product for all, not a product for some. I am not 100% happy with it not supporting clicky switches, so I hope the next idea works out well, and is received better than the last prototype. And the fix is super tiny, but I am have a feeling that people will still not like it.

As for vendors, I have been working on that for a while, but for the GB to run I have to get 11,000 as the total order needs to be a certain quantity for pricing reasons, So I can't go any lower as price will go up.

And I know that the forms don't accurately show what amount will be ordered, but it helped figure out how far this project could actually go. I have an IC over on DT that I update when I have anything new, but no one ever comments on it like they do here. And I have posted on reddit, but the way reddit works, it is hard to reach people for longer periods of time unless a lot of people upvote it. So it never really grew on those platforms as much as it did here.

Unfortunately the thread starter uses clicky Alps so that's his priority. And you're absolutely right why would a linear Alps user buy a compromised design when the 1st was superior? 
Clicky switches aren't my priority, but I don't want to make a product that I myself can't stand behind as a user. I didn't set out to make money from this, I wanted to make a product I wanted to use personally, so failing to do what I set out to do, even if people may like the shorter version, makes it a failed product.

Also, I get new ram tomorrow, so hopefully my computer will be up and running so I can get the new prototype finished and get opinions on it. That is if the ram was the issue though...

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #158 on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 09:05:54 »
FYI the IC form is in the crossed-out part of the post only,And still has the big warning about quickie switches, which is now no longer needed. You should take it down so I can spread this without scaring people!
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #159 on: Mon, 05 February 2018, 21:59:48 »
Well...Amazon still hasn't delivered my ram even though it was supposed to be here yesterday(paid for 1-day shipping even). Really sucks, I am going crazy over here not being able to update the model...So bear with me for a little longer so I can get this worked out.

Will probably do another prototype soon if people are okay with the change, otherwise I will just run the GB for the shorter slider and close it once it reaches 11,000 or close enough for me to be okay with ordering. Would rather have the product in most peoples hands, than no ones at all.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #160 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 07:37:02 »
Well...Amazon still hasn't delivered my ram even though it was supposed to be here yesterday(paid for 1-day shipping even). Really sucks, I am going crazy over here not being able to update the model...So bear with me for a little longer so I can get this worked out.

Will probably do another prototype soon if people are okay with the change, otherwise I will just run the GB for the shorter slider and close it once it reaches 11,000 or close enough for me to be okay with ordering. Would rather have the product in most peoples hands, than no ones at all.

Looking forward to seeing the changes
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #161 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 21:17:46 »
Well, got the ram in and my computer didn't post still. So I am going to try and get a new cpu sent out, which will take at least a week. So the GB launch is on hold until I can get the new CPU and make the next prototype. Sorry that this happened, someone smashed my cpu into something before I got it and I was hopeful it was going to work, I was wrong.

Offline Kahrkunne

« Reply #162 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 08:45:41 »
Would this work with Monterey switches?

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #163 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 08:55:02 »
Well, got the ram in and my computer didn't post still. So I am going to try and get a new cpu sent out, which will take at least a week. So the GB launch is on hold until I can get the new CPU and make the next prototype. Sorry that this happened, someone smashed my cpu into something before I got it and I was hopeful it was going to work, I was wrong.

No worries man! Great things take time! I just filled out the newer IC form!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeQlCswtGqZ-18CDlnNXohOpKMbDD3zNBGfpGcEBdBAKoH1zA/viewform?usp=sf_link

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #164 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 10:40:59 »
Would this work with Monterey switches?

No it will only work with alps switches.

Offline Koobaczech

• Don't forget to smile :)
    • Pearlboards
« Reply #165 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 12:47:58 »
Sorry for the dumb question, but what exactly is this that you are making? Some internal part to make a cherry compatible Alps switch? I imagine we open the Alps, swap the slider and done?

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #166 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 12:53:31 »
Sorry for the dumb question, but what exactly is this that you are making? Some internal part to make a cherry compatible Alps switch? I imagine we open the Alps, swap the slider and done?

It is an Alps slider with a cherry stem. It is a replacement alps slider, that allows you to use cherry keycaps, you open the alps switch up, remove the original slider, pop this one in, replace the top housing with either a modified top housing or the one I will be producing, and voila.

Offline Koobaczech

• Don't forget to smile :)
    • Pearlboards
Re: [IC] Nexus Slider (Alps Slider With a Cherry Stem)
« Reply #167 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 12:58:11 »
Wow, thanks! I wasn't sure if that was it or not. Don't know too many terms for switches and "slider" was unknown to me. This is an incredible product! Id buy a ton

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #168 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 14:01:54 »
I'm a bit confused about the compatibility with Matias switches. Can someone give me a breakdown of how the nexus slider and housing work with matias?

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #169 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 14:17:36 »
I'm a bit confused about the compatibility with Matias switches. Can someone give me a breakdown of how the nexus slider and housing work with matias?

Okay so the slider works with all alps and matias switches. For matias you have to file the top housing opening for the slider a tad so that the cherry cap stem can slid into the housing without catching, as the opening of the matias housing is almost the exact size as the keycap stem, so it doesn't travel smoothly without filing a tad.

The top housing I am making is only compatible with SKCM/SKCL alps switches, and those don't require modification for those who want to use them on the alps switches.

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #170 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 14:59:57 »

Okay so the slider works with all alps and matias switches. For matias you have to file the top housing opening for the slider a tad so that the cherry cap stem can slid into the housing without catching, as the opening of the matias housing is almost the exact size as the keycap stem, so it doesn't travel smoothly without filing a tad.

The top housing I am making is only compatible with SKCM/SKCL alps switches, and those don't require modification for those who want to use them on the alps switches.

I see, thanks for the help! I can't wait to get my hands on these!

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #171 on: Sun, 18 February 2018, 22:30:44 »
Well, after buying another motherboard, and having the cpu replaced, my computer is up and running finally. I will begin the design updates tomorrow once I get Solidworks reinstalled. So hopefully I will have an update tomorrow or tuesday with the proposed change to work with clicky switches.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #172 on: Mon, 19 February 2018, 22:08:58 »
Update:

Here is the new proposed model change to support clicky switches, the little bump was added. Height is identical to the original, "short" design, and will not increase height of the caps at all. The addition is to prevent the click leaf from being able to catch under the keycap stem lip, and this makes it literally impossible for that to happen. Only downside is it will reduce the travel of the click leaf by 0.6mm, and may affect the point at which the click leaf actuates, can't say for sure if that will actually happen but it could. Now this isn't my favorite idea, but it is the last possible choice unless it is decided to not support clicky switches.

189164-0

Offline jackofclubs

« Reply #173 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 15:28:32 »
would love to see a video on how this new design works with clicky switches. I have a set of ambers and a set of browns set aside for this so either way is good for me  :thumb:

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #174 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 15:36:31 »
I suppose this calls for another round of prototypes?
There is no such thing as "too much orange."

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #175 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 15:44:59 »
It will if

If will it people don't object to it like they did the taller version. But so far you are one of two that have even said anything....so I don't know what to think yet, lol.

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #176 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 15:49:51 »
It will if

But so far you are one of two that have even said anything

Good point.
There is no such thing as "too much orange."

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #177 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 15:53:08 »
It will if

If will it people don't object to it like they did the taller version. But so far you are one of two that have even said anything....so I don't know what to think yet, lol.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Alps switches get their tactility and unique sound from the leaf spring?  So even though this could keep low key height, it seems like it will certainly have an effect on both the sound and feel of clicky and tactile switches.  I would appreciate a working prototype to be tested and these factors observed, even if it was just printed and lubed.

I wouldn't imagine the design change would effect linear switches at all

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #178 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 16:03:14 »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't Alps switches get their tactility and unique sound from the leaf spring?  So even though this could keep low key height, it seems like it will certainly have an effect on both the sound and feel of clicky and tactile switches.  I would appreciate a working prototype to be tested and these factors observed, even if it was just printed and lubed.

It won't affect tactile switches at all as the tactile leaf doesn't move towards the slider during a keystroke, as it is held in place by tabs. The little bump I put on the slider actually slips in between the legs of the tactile leaf so it won't bend the leaf or change the feeling at all.

For clicky switches I have no idea what the actual sound difference would be, I need to do another prototype. But first I need to see a larger response to figure out where to go from here, I don't want to get a prototype again and have everyone hate it again, lol. Especially because I have already done 3 prototypes, and this would be number 4.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #179 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 16:44:44 »

It won't affect tactile switches at all as the tactile leaf doesn't move towards the slider during a keystroke, as it is held in place by tabs. The little bump I put on the slider actually slips in between the legs of the tactile leaf so it won't bend the leaf or change the feeling at all.

For clicky switches I have no idea what the actual sound difference would be, I need to do another prototype. But first I need to see a larger response to figure out where to go from here, I don't want to get a prototype again and have everyone hate it again, lol. Especially because I have already done 3 prototypes, and this would be number 4.

Gotcha.  I forgot about how tactile works, but you are 100% correct, of course.  I've got some SKCM orange switches that feel really good.  I'd love to put them on my extra LFKeyboards 65% board I have but I'm not about to try to trim another round of SP alps stems.  I can't imagine how awesome they would feel with a nice set of PBT or doubleshot GMK caps on them.  Looking forward to this product for sure.

If more people start asking for you to prototype, I will fund it again if you need.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #180 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 16:51:09 »
If more people start asking for you to prototype, I will fund it again if you need.

I will let you know when I get to that stage. Hopefully people jump in and comment tonight, if not tomorrow.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #181 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 18:23:56 »
From my somewhat limited knowledge of Alps functionality, I would think that the leaf should have already contacted the stem by the point it hits that bump, hence the need for it in the first case. If that's true, there should be no perceivable difference in the sound of the click, but most likely an effect on the feel as you go down far enough for that bump to contact the leaf.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #182 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 19:06:41 »
From my somewhat limited knowledge of Alps functionality, I would think that the leaf should have already contacted the stem by the point it hits that bump, hence the need for it in the first case. If that's true, there should be no perceivable difference in the sound of the click, but most likely an effect on the feel as you go down far enough for that bump to contact the leaf.

So it would affect it as the start of the slope on the bump is shorter than the height of the part of the click leaf that touches the slider by about 0.7mm(meaning the leaf will be touching the slope) so it will barely change the distance the click leaf moves as at that height it is only 0.3mm.

The bump on the slider will only come in contact with the leaf during the top part of the keystroke, after the click it will never touch the click leaf, so feel past the click will never change. Now I am not sure how this will affect the top part of the keystroke before the click and at the click, but it would be almost impossible to get an accurate measurement without the final product as the prototypes are not 100% accurate to the final part due to 3D printing limitations.

Offline Albatross

« Reply #183 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 21:04:42 »
Any design which does not damage click leafs or greatly alter the switch feel is good with me.  :thumb:

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #184 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 21:10:42 »
Any design which does not damage click leafs or greatly alter the switch feel is good with me.  :thumb:

:thumb:

Offline garbo

« Reply #185 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 09:41:52 »
Since I'm one of the people who took issue with the idea of raised height, I'll just post to agree that this does seem like a good solution for clicky switch compatibility. Definitely worth testing for sound and feel.

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐
« Reply #186 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 10:07:08 »
Update:

Here is the new proposed model change to support clicky switches, the little bump was added. Height is identical to the original, "short" design, and will not increase height of the caps at all. The addition is to prevent the click leaf from being able to catch under the keycap stem lip, and this makes it literally impossible for that to happen. Only downside is it will reduce the travel of the click leaf by 0.6mm, and may affect the point at which the click leaf actuates, can't say for sure if that will actually happen but it could. Now this isn't my favorite idea, but it is the last possible choice unless it is decided to not support clicky switches.

(Attachment Link)

Interested in the prototype! If the only limitation is possibly a slight change in feel for the clicky switches, this does seem like the most inclusive route!

Offline jackofclubs

« Reply #187 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 16:13:20 »
I already commented, but I just want to throw my opinion out there again. I think this new design the best route as well, even if it does have some sort of feel change to the clicky switches. I don't think many people even use clicky alps (I'm one of them) and the height is something I don't think a lot of people would want changed. Then again, I would buy the older prototype too....

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #188 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 19:55:29 »
I already commented, but I just want to throw my opinion out there again. I think this new design the best route as well, even if it does have some sort of feel change to the clicky switches. I don't think many people even use clicky alps (I'm one of them) and the height is something I don't think a lot of people would want changed. Then again, I would buy the older prototype too....
Interested in the prototype! If the only limitation is possibly a slight change in feel for the clicky switches, this does seem like the most inclusive route!

Thank you both for the feedback, I will look into doing a prototype tomorrow, as I am sick today...

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #189 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 14:45:52 »
Update:
Okay sent an order request for the new slider prototype, as well as a single top housing sample. Total at the moment for the new prototypes is $37, may change if the printer sees a reason to. If multiple people want to help fund them, or just one person, I would really appreciate it.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #190 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 14:59:03 »
Quick question for BlindAssassin and others who plan to use these sliders:

What PCB/board do you plan to use these with?  What is your plan for stabilizers?  The only PBCs i know of that would be a good fit are the SMK/Alps ones from LFKeyboards b/c they can use cherry stabilizers.  If you plan to put cherry mount caps on an Alps board, you will have to use costar stabilizer inserts on the keycaps and then bend your own wire, right?  Pretty sure there is no drop-in solution for stabilizers that will work for old boards without some modification.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #191 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 15:10:37 »
Quick question for BlindAssassin and others who plan to use these sliders:

What PCB/board do you plan to use these with?  What is your plan for stabilizers?  The only PBCs i know of that would be a good fit are the SMK/Alps ones from LFKeyboards b/c they can use cherry stabilizers.  If you plan to put cherry mount caps on an Alps board, you will have to use costar stabilizer inserts on the keycaps and then bend your own wire, right?  Pretty sure there is no drop-in solution for stabilizers that will work for old boards without some modification.

Yeah, forgot to test this part...didn't have any costar stabs until recently but forgot to see how it fit. Will check now to see if the alps wire works.

And if they don't work, then I could sell some 3d printed keycap inserts, if people would want that, cheaper than molding them or something similar.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 February 2018, 15:14:27 by BlindAssassin111 »

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #192 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 15:20:20 »
Okay, looks like the spacing is different enough on the costar stabs that would require some new inserts or new wire to be made. But I can easily make a new inserts that fits most alps stab wire that are the "C" style wire, not need to check my omnikey as it has a different shaped spacebar stab. If the is something people want 3D printed, I can easily have a model made today, and include it in the new prototype order and have it hear next week.
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 February 2018, 15:25:53 by BlindAssassin111 »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #193 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 15:24:58 »
Okay, looks like the spacing is different enough on the costar stabs that would require some new inserts or new wire to be made.

You can read about the differences here:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=93816.msg2555392#msg2555392

It's possible that a new type of insert could work.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #194 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 15:30:56 »
Okay, looks like the spacing is different enough on the costar stabs that would require some new inserts or new wire to be made.

You can read about the differences here:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=93816.msg2555392#msg2555392

It's possible that a new type of insert could work.

Hmm, I need to find another spacebar to test with as the one on my masterkey S PBT has the inserts further out than an alps 6.5U spacebar at least, so I think my idea would still work just have to swap which side the insert goes when installing on the caps to change if it is wider or skinnier than original.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #195 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 20:50:15 »
Okay, Made the offset keycap stab insert. It can be installed in two ways, so it can be offset to be wider or skinnier depending on the keycap set used. I used sets from 4 different keyboards, AT101W, Omnikey Ultra T, Masterkeys S PBT and EDRUG Mix. It will work for all of them, but I can't test the 7U spacebar compatibility as I don't have a cherry 7U spacebar, if the cherry has the same offset from the alps insert locations, like every other key, it should be fine. It will be a 3D printed part as they wouldn't be enough interest to allow it to be injection molded as such a low quantity is needed per board, that it isn't reasonable. So it will have to be printed on either an SLA or Polyjet printer to get the accuracy and strength as the part goes down to 0.8mm and has features that are too small for other printing methods, like FDM. SLS can work, but the surface finish is very rough and can affect the actuation even when lubed. This will be available to just download when the time comes, or you can pay me to have them printed in a larger quantity to get a lower per piece cost. When the GB opens I will do a video going over all that is needed to do the conversion, and have more detailed information that everyone can see before buying, as it will be easier that way.

189465-0
« Last Edit: Thu, 22 February 2018, 20:53:40 by BlindAssassin111 »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #196 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 20:54:39 »
Okay, Made the offset keycap stab insert. It can be installed in two ways, so it can be offset to be wider or skinnier depending on the keycap set used. I used sets from 4 different keyboards, AT101W, Omnikey Ultra T, Masterkeys S PBT and EDRUG Mix. It will work for all of them, but I can't test the 7U spacebar compatibility as I don't have a cherry 7U spacebar, if the cherry has the same offset from the alps insert locations, like every other key, it should be fine. It will be a 3D printed part as they wouldn't be enough interest to allow it to be injection molded as such a low quantity is needed per board, that it isn't reasonable. So it will have to be printed on either an SLA or Polyjet printer to get the accuracy and strength as the part goes down to 0.8mm and has features that are too small for other printing methods, like FDM or SLS. This will be available to just download when the time comes, or you can pay me to have them printed in a larger quantity to get a lower per piece cost. When the GB opens I will do a video going over all that is needed to do the conversion, and have more detailed information that everyone can see before buying, as it will be easier that way.

(Attachment Link)

People with lightcycle, granite, and alpine winter alps caps will most likely be interested in those inserts too.  I know I want some extra

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #197 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 20:56:15 »
People with lightcycle, granite, and alpine winter alps caps will most likely be interested in those inserts too.  I know I want some extra

I would need help advertising to those people as I don't know of an easy way to do so...

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #198 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 21:04:04 »
I'll link your post in a few threads.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #199 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 21:05:57 »
Just got a quote, if 140 are ordered at a time I can get them all for $35+shipping to me. So in the end probably $50 because all the printers have stupid high shipping rates for some reason...So inserts could be $5, which is a zero profit cost. So I am assuming people would be okay with a $5 set of inserts as that is extremely affordable.

I'll link your post in a few threads.

Thank you!!! I am going to order a set of these inserts, would you want a set now to test?