Author Topic: [GB] MxSS - Polycarb 65% Kit for MX/SMK [Kinda close to finishing again?!]  (Read 119842 times)

Offline dwarflemur

Re: [GB] MxSS - Polycarb 65% Kit for MX/SMK [Brass parts update]
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 13:37:08 »
This looks dope. I can't wait to get mine!
Camp C225 | Norbatouch | ALF X2 + X3 | Orange TKL | CA66 | Leaf 60 | a bunch of others

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 02:54:02 »
First shipment of parts arrived at my place. I've got exams until next Monday, so I'll just leave this small set of photos here.

https://imgur.com/a/Lo1xVm4

I'll do a better update when I have time  :thumb:

Offline dantambok

« Reply #102 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 04:19:32 »
First shipment of parts arrived at my place. I've got exams until next Monday, so I'll just leave this small set of photos here.

https://imgur.com/a/Lo1xVm4

I'll do a better update when I have time  :thumb:

so close I can almost taste it!
Stuff  I have
More
2x TGR Alice / TGR 910 RE / TGR 910 CE / TGR 910 VKC / 2x TGR Jane V2 / 2x Matrix 2.0 / Matrix 2.2 / Matrix 1.2OG / Lyn Whale v2 / Lyn EM7 v3 / DK Saver / Keycult No. 1/60 /  Quantrik Hachi /  Quantrik  Kyuu / Duck Orion V2 / TGRxSinga Unikorn R1 / 2x Unikorn 2.2 / Quantrik QXP /  JER80 / TMO50 / 2x 86u / ION i69 / LZ MP / 2x FMJ80 / TGR Jane V2 CE / Matrix Project F / IDB60 / is0  / MXSS / Atom TKL / Duck Viper v3 / HBCP / Noxary 280 / LZ Physix / FLX Virgo / Modern M0110 / Matrix 2.0 ADD / TGR Police / Noxary XRF / Noxary Vulcan Pro / 350 Mimi / Matrix 2.0CP / Kira80 / Exent 65% / FMJ60 / Haus 65 / Kikuichimonji / Cake 60 / 2x AU Unikorn  Commission/ LZ XE / Paraluman 60 / AI03 Andromeda / Dalco 959 Mini GT / LZ Erghost /  Finder Works Hyphen / 2x Singa Kohaku / Linworks EM8 / GAFxTGR 910 / TGRxKLC Dolice / TGR 910v2 ME / Noxary Valhalla / Hiney Ibis / LZ REs / PerryWorks MC65 / Hiney Poly TKL One / RS60 / Zekk RBB / QK80 / Keycult No 2 TKL / FLX Virgo r2 / Matrix Navi

Coming --   Lynx50 (wixx scammed us) / Ladybird60 / JJW Derivative / TGR Shi

100+ GMK sets

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 04:25:20 »
Any of the 4 extra's still available?

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 07:32:50 »
Can I pay for express shipping to try and get this before Keycon? ;)

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #105 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 05:14:35 »
Got a touch distracted from studying, but here's a few pics.

First from me: https://imgur.com/a/rePnxqk

From the factory (chrome and gold electroplating): https://imgur.com/a/LdY3wxN

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
Re: [GB] MxSS - Polycarb 65% Kit for MX/SMK [Big update/delays]
« Reply #106 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 02:02:50 »
TL;DR: Cases half alright, electrophoretic coating ended up worse than expected, factory will fix things, just need a new finish (or compromise on an old one) for brass parts.

Alright, now that everything is settling down for me, time to give an update on the situation.

To start off, the good news. All due parts have arrived, meaning all the cases, plates, weights, and PCBs. https://imgur.com/a/MWGQPXj

Purble, Blue and Clear cases:

Black Nickel, Gold and Silver plated parts respectively:

Polycarb Plate:

All the electroplated parts and the polycarb plate turned out great, as you can see. The issue exists with the rest of the brass parts that received the electrophoretic coating and with some of the cases. https://imgur.com/a/CF261I5

More

For reference, 6/30 brass weights passed QC. Some number of them was more acceptable with no visible flaws showing through the poly case, but I don't have a number handy. The plates are better, but majority have dirt under the coating on the underside or even worse, on top. Notable mention that the 2 untreated sets ended up scratched up to hell and also failed QC.

Moving on to the cases, most of the cases exhibit a bending issue, while some have some blemishes on the outside of the case. While all but the worse cases assemble fine, the bending makes assembly more difficult and well, I'm sure not everyone will be happy about it.

Changing topics to the PCBs, they all look fine from initial inspection, only issue is that the wrong production hex was flashed on to it, so I have to go through and reprogram every PCB to add back the bootloader :((

So after all this bad news, I'm relieved to say the factory is willing to replace parts with the above issues, given I am reasonable in setting my expectations.

For the cases, this means that there will most likely be a slight bending of the base, but not so much that it makes it difficult to assemble. Once assembled, the issue goes away for all of the cases. The remade cases would not have alignment nubs on the base, as they are part of the cause of the bending.

For the brass parts, the situation is a bit more annoying. We're back to the brainstorming stage on what finish would achieve the ideal appearance of mirror polished and coated. One suggestion my manufacturer had for me was a matte sandblasted finish (factory-quality pic as usual :P):

This is a different look, but it will be easier to get consistently good.

The issues with each finish summarised:

Untreated: Tarnishes, harder to clean
UV coated: Dust speckles all over, bad side has wavy lines
Silver Electroplating: It's silver, one side will have flaws (amount random)
Gold Electroplating: Costs 40USD/part, one side ends up inconsistently matte: https://i.imgur.com/HD0C7Mq.jpg
Electrophoretic: Slight flaws on both sides, dust on both sides

I will keep thinking about what a good compromise would be, but please do leave comments on what you think here or in PMs. Do you mind the defects? Is there something I'm overlooking? Let me know.

The GB will naturally be delayed based on how long we take to start production, as well as how long it takes for me to check and pack parts afterwards, I'll put it as early August now (sigh). Since there are some parts that meet standards, I will try and arrange to ship out some units early, provided people are willing to pay the premium that I have to pay to ship packages individually vs as a bulk. More details about that when I have a more clear overview on what parts are good to go.

Extras are unlikely to be available, if they are, I'll mention so after the main orders are available to ship out. This will not make Keycon even at the earliest because I have to fix the PCBs and source screws (factory forgot to include them), I won't give any dates for how early I can get things ready or I'll end up more exhausted than I am.

Mx is a tired boy.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 June 2018, 03:42:18 by MxBlue »

Offline dantambok

« Reply #107 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 02:13:25 »
Oh boy, that's something nobody wants to hear but i guess **** happens. Thanks for working hard to figure stuff out for use peeps  :blank:
Stuff  I have
More
2x TGR Alice / TGR 910 RE / TGR 910 CE / TGR 910 VKC / 2x TGR Jane V2 / 2x Matrix 2.0 / Matrix 2.2 / Matrix 1.2OG / Lyn Whale v2 / Lyn EM7 v3 / DK Saver / Keycult No. 1/60 /  Quantrik Hachi /  Quantrik  Kyuu / Duck Orion V2 / TGRxSinga Unikorn R1 / 2x Unikorn 2.2 / Quantrik QXP /  JER80 / TMO50 / 2x 86u / ION i69 / LZ MP / 2x FMJ80 / TGR Jane V2 CE / Matrix Project F / IDB60 / is0  / MXSS / Atom TKL / Duck Viper v3 / HBCP / Noxary 280 / LZ Physix / FLX Virgo / Modern M0110 / Matrix 2.0 ADD / TGR Police / Noxary XRF / Noxary Vulcan Pro / 350 Mimi / Matrix 2.0CP / Kira80 / Exent 65% / FMJ60 / Haus 65 / Kikuichimonji / Cake 60 / 2x AU Unikorn  Commission/ LZ XE / Paraluman 60 / AI03 Andromeda / Dalco 959 Mini GT / LZ Erghost /  Finder Works Hyphen / 2x Singa Kohaku / Linworks EM8 / GAFxTGR 910 / TGRxKLC Dolice / TGR 910v2 ME / Noxary Valhalla / Hiney Ibis / LZ REs / PerryWorks MC65 / Hiney Poly TKL One / RS60 / Zekk RBB / QK80 / Keycult No 2 TKL / FLX Virgo r2 / Matrix Navi

100+ GMK sets

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #108 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 06:55:34 »
Might as well tease a couple hype pics while we're waiting  :))

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #109 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 07:04:49 »
Might as well tease a couple hype pics while we're waiting  :))

Show Image

Now I don't need coffee this morning.... Well I am going to drink some anyway

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #110 on: Thu, 28 June 2018, 07:20:13 »
I'd take an untreated sandblasted option for my brass parts!

Also, you get to keep a lot of these "sub-par" parts, right? You could totally make some B-stock kits ;)

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #111 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 01:07:16 »
Alright, a small update on progress.

Cases:

I'm yet to finalise the count of tops and bottoms that need to be replaced, once that's done, I'd be getting the factory to remake said parts.

Plate/Weights:

The electroplated parts ended up with fitting issues unfortunately, so I won't be able to ship those out until the rest of the parts are ready. Polished parts got scratched up like crazy, and also need to be redone.

After discussing the possible finishes with the factory, we've somewhat reached a conclusion on the finish. We're looking at either:
 - Gold plating, with one side brushed/sandblasted, which should mitigate the issue of one side being bad, of course, the fitting issue will also be resolved
 - Sandblasting with a matte finish, should be a shiny matte finish like shown in my previous post

Gold plating is more similar to the original finish, but it needs testing anyhow, so I will have get both finishes tested. There may (emphasis on may) be another chance to go for a silver (chrome electroplated) finish, which would be the same as gold having one side brushed/sandblasted. Details will be available on that when I can confirm it.

PCBs:

I'm in the middle of assembling the PCBs that take the least effort to get working, and I'll work up from there. The PCB factory will let me know what the go is for replacing PCBs with some dead LEDs.

I've finished with the firmware, which you can find here: https://github.com/qmk/qmk_firmware/tree/master/keyboards/mxss. It supports QMK Configurator, so you can build your keymaps here: https://config.qmk.fm/#/mxss/LAYOUT. I'll have a more indepth explanation in how to go about doing some of the extra custom things the board supports closer to delivery.

Here are some of the nifty things I coded in:
https://streamable.com/nd7pk - RGB mode makes the LEDs work with the RGB underglow
https://streamable.com/hj2yd - Indicator mode makes the top LED a capslock indicator and the bottom LED a layer indicator
https://streamable.com/wjpwx - Modes can be changed on the fly, and brightness for the front LEDs can be individually controlled

And to wrap things up, I'd like to say that we have 2 kits that are (nearly) ready to go, they will end up having the electrophoretic finish rather than whatever ends up replacing it for the reworked parts, so keep that in mind. Considering that the black nickel parts are ready to go as well, I will offer to ship out kits without the brass parts early as well.

For both these cases, you will have to accept that the shipping cost will be higher, since they'll be shipped individually, and you will have to pay shipping for brass parts further down the line as well. For a rough estimate, take the cost on the opening post and add $10. Priority for the 2 kits with electrophoretic parts goes to the highest invoice numbers.

The form for early shipping can be located in your emails, PM me if you need a link.

TL;DR:

Cases: Check parts -> Get them remade
Brass: Either gold electroplated or sandblasted -> Get them remade/reworked
PCBs: I'm slaving to fix them, and replacements should come in to fulfill the rest

If you can pay for shipping, I will prepare to ship whatever I have ready (any black nickel sets, 2x electrophoretic coated sets), priority for good electrophoretic parts goes to the highest invoice numbers. Check your email for the form for shipping early.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 July 2018, 01:36:14 by MxBlue »

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #112 on: Tue, 10 July 2018, 01:12:45 »
I'd take an untreated sandblasted option for my brass parts!

I'll keep it in mind that people want it, but i'll be aiming to make it simple enough for the factory so we will see where we go on that note.

Also, you get to keep a lot of these "sub-par" parts, right? You could totally make some B-stock kits ;)

I might, but what will happen will be decided after the GB is over, getting parts to you guys is more important :thumb:

Offline dwarflemur

« Reply #113 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 15:19:19 »
Hey dude, has there been anything update worthy in the last few weeks?
Camp C225 | Norbatouch | ALF X2 + X3 | Orange TKL | CA66 | Leaf 60 | a bunch of others

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #114 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 17:09:19 »

Like a day or two ago on discord he said they were working on the brass parts. I don’t think he has any meaningful updates yet.

Offline dwarflemur

« Reply #115 on: Wed, 25 July 2018, 17:32:30 »

Like a day or two ago on discord he said they were working on the brass parts. I don’t think he has any meaningful updates yet.

Okay, cool, thanks

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #116 on: Wed, 25 July 2018, 17:54:40 »
Thanks for passing on the info amnesia, but I'll do a quick update to clarify.

I ended up sending all the brass parts over to be reworked (sorry to q and Captain Shwah, your parts were more bent than I expected, so I thought it's best to send them back). The first MxSS was picked up from me a bit over a week ago, and I received some feedback.

One issue found was that the assembled board had a bit of a rock caused by warped parts, the factory and I are resolving that matter now. Another issue I found is that the steel screws I use for assembly caused a bit of damage to the plating, so I propose to fix that with washers, which will eventually be delivered to me... https://i.imgur.com/6RdyQtP.jpg
The factory has received the parts, so we're resolving the issues now.

10 more PCBs to assemble, and at least 23 to send back for repair from the factory.

That should be a good summary of current events.

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #117 on: Sun, 05 August 2018, 04:49:35 »
Alright, we've unfortunately passed my last set deadline of August unfortunately, and while I don't have a concrete update, I will at least post why.

First up, all the brass parts have reached the factory as mentioned in the previous update, and they are working on straightening out the parts. As for the finish, well, it's again a tough situation. To put it simply, there is not perfect solution that will be both mirror polished and protected against tarnish. We tried PVD, but it ended up with light flaws: https://imgur.com/a/eA5zKOW. Turns out most (if not all) other keyboards with PVD finished brass have to recoat and sometimes even remake parts until satisfaction. This process is extremely time consuming, so naturally my manufacturer was not willing to do that considering we didn't arrange for it upfront.
On a more positive note, another keyboard done through the same manufacturer had their brass parts finished by a sandblast with a clear coat, and that turned out surprisingly well: https://i.imgur.com/YRt0O2c.jpg. While the factory isn't all too pleased with how many times they need to redo sandblasting to get it perfect without tarnish or fingerprints, they did offer me an olive branch saying they're willing to do it. If we are not able to find an alternative, I will likely have to fall back to the original set of options (UV Coat, Gold Electroplate, Silver Electroplate, uncoated) along with the sandblasted finish. While it's unusual to have group buy participants decide such technical details, I feel that after being strung along this far by me (which I sincerely apologise for), you have a say in what you're getting.

Moving on to the cases, looking over them again, I realised that they had started to develop marks more prominently as the UV coating on them further cured. My manufacturer assured me that they were issues occurring during the polishing stage, so we are experimenting on solutions for that. Unfortunately, what this means is I can't send out any kits early, I'm sorry about that  :'(

As I'm not at a stage where I have an estimate for how long processes will take, I can't give an estimate of how long things will take. I will do my best to be prompt with dealing with the manufacturer so delays will be kept to a minimum, but I will have to ask everyone to continue bearing with me, I will continue trying my best to produce the most perfect parts I can for you.

There will be a more concrete update when I have concrete details.

Thanks,
Mx

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #118 on: Sun, 12 August 2018, 13:58:53 »
Hey thanks for the updates :)

I'm sure we can all be patient to get it done right ;)

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #119 on: Sun, 12 August 2018, 15:56:18 »
Hey thanks for the updates :)

I'm sure we can all be patient to get it done right ;)
I am extremely appreciative of your patience, as well as everyone else in the gb's :D
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 August 2018, 19:17:12 by MxBlue »

Offline dantambok

« Reply #120 on: Mon, 13 August 2018, 00:47:14 »
As with all GBs, setbacks and delays are always part of the package i guess. Thank you for doing your best to ensure we get high quality boards from this buy. Just dont go in to a coma.   :thumb:
Stuff  I have
More

100+ GMK sets

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #121 on: Tue, 28 August 2018, 02:30:32 »
It's been a while, so I'm just posting a check-in to say I'm alive along with the project.

Factory has unfortunately gotten quite slow now, since it's been a back and forth of suggestions on how to go about resolving this economically, but I would like to hope we are progressing, slowly but surely. I will be paying for replacement cases out of pocket unfortunately, and I will be trying to hurry that along side the brass parts.

We're currently looking at the following options:
  • Gold Electroplating - Outward facing side mirror polished, other side brushed
  • Silver Electroplating - as above
  • Black Electroplating - as above
  • Sandblast with clearcoat
  • Untreated

The black electroplating came up as a suggestion from them, since they tried black electroplating a brass part, albeit not mirror polished, and it apparently turned out fine. I was warned against coating brass this way by another individual, so I remain sceptic about it, but if any brave souls want to give it a try, be my guest.

Will keep people posted when things are more concrete, so just take this post as a insight into the talks I've been having until now.

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #122 on: Wed, 12 September 2018, 03:41:31 »
Factory has been busy with other projects, but I got news that the new case sample should be ready soon, with what we hope will be a lot less bend. The brass parts sample is also in the pipeline, still waiting on updates on that.

Offline dantambok

« Reply #123 on: Wed, 12 September 2018, 05:20:53 »
Factory has been busy with other projects, but I got news that the new case sample should be ready soon, with what we hope will be a lot less bend. The brass parts sample is also in the pipeline, still waiting on updates on that.

Thank for the update blue!
Stuff  I have
More

100+ GMK sets

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #124 on: Sat, 15 September 2018, 04:06:33 »
Just a small update, not much to look at but the sample has been CNC'd, and it is apparently much better in terms of the bending issue.

Will keep everyone posted on progress.

Offline MightyFineShindig

« Reply #125 on: Sun, 30 September 2018, 03:30:21 »
Any news?
Canoe | MxSS | M60-A | Aegis | Unikorn | Constellation

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #126 on: Sun, 30 September 2018, 03:33:40 »
Not much unfortunately. I've pushed the factory to get the samples done faster, but between the holidays over there, we're still waiting on results.

I'm fairly certain the brass samples have gone off to the plating factory now, and the case is still in the process of being finished. I will post here as soon as I have any further updates.

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #127 on: Mon, 01 October 2018, 08:22:45 »
I've been quite distracted from this little hobby recently, and I actually just now remembered that I actually bought one of these!
I'm happy to here there's at least some progress going on.

Thanks for all your hard work, Blue!

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #128 on: Mon, 01 October 2018, 18:14:29 »
I've been quite distracted from this little hobby recently, and I actually just now remembered that I actually bought one of these!
I'm happy to here there's at least some progress going on.

Thanks for all your hard work, Blue!

Hehe I hope to have something nice to show you next time you remember to check in.

China takes the week off for their National Day, so expect something in the next fortnight or so.

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #129 on: Sat, 13 October 2018, 06:56:43 »
Alright, I managed to have an update ready before a fortnight  :))

My rep got back to me with a few pics of the poly case, and one set of brass parts (we are still waiting on the other, more on that later).

The new case is looking good, much more consistent with the finishing. I look forward to receiving and verifying these claims.

These brass parts have both sides brushed horizontally, which is why you see streaking. The important part to note is that the finish is consistent, on both sides. This was the issue we were having with all the other finishes, with one side being "bad". The other sample set that has yet to arrive has one side mirror polished, and the other side brushed. This should hopefully achieve the best of both worlds with one side being a consistent slightly less shiny finish, and one side being a lovely mirror.

Here are the rest of the photos for everyone to stare at, don't mind the usual factory photo lighting/quality: https://imgur.com/a/bIcBExp

Will post more updates as I get them  :thumb:

Offline lazyfart

« Reply #130 on: Sat, 13 October 2018, 09:43:35 »
So I just found out about the case GB, and the case looks really good. Will there be extras for sale?

Offline dantambok

« Reply #131 on: Sat, 13 October 2018, 09:52:01 »
Really happy you are making some progress on this blue! Still fingers crossed this will all be over before 2019!  ;D
Stuff  I have
More

100+ GMK sets

Offline briano1905

« Reply #132 on: Sun, 14 October 2018, 02:30:43 »
Alright, I managed to have an update ready before a fortnight  :))

My rep got back to me with a few pics of the poly case, and one set of brass parts (we are still waiting on the other, more on that later).

Show Image

The new case is looking good, much more consistent with the finishing. I look forward to receiving and verifying these claims.

Show Image

These brass parts have both sides brushed horizontally, which is why you see streaking. The important part to note is that the finish is consistent, on both sides. This was the issue we were having with all the other finishes, with one side being "bad". The other sample set that has yet to arrive has one side mirror polished, and the other side brushed. This should hopefully achieve the best of both worlds with one side being a consistent slightly less shiny finish, and one side being a lovely mirror.

Here are the rest of the photos for everyone to stare at, don't mind the usual factory photo lighting/quality: https://imgur.com/a/bIcBExp

Will post more updates as I get them  :thumb:

Brass parts looks great! will be even better with the mirror finish :) Thanks for the update blue

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #133 on: Sun, 14 October 2018, 07:03:29 »
So I just found out about the case GB, and the case looks really good. Will there be extras for sale?

Possibly. I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, so I won't confirm anything regarding extras until after everyone gets their boards.

Dan and Briano, appreciate the support. I really hope I will be able to get the boards out by 2019 haha. Pray to big China

Offline dantambok

« Reply #134 on: Sun, 14 October 2018, 09:03:35 »
Also, i think the brushed brass parts look good. Excited to see the other samples  :thumb:
Stuff  I have
More

100+ GMK sets

Offline Dovan1405

« Reply #135 on: Sun, 14 October 2018, 12:59:40 »
Oh man this looks amazing. I want to get one of those extras. Pleassseee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #136 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 08:31:15 »
Glad to see some more baby steps happening!
I was cleaning out my desk the other day, and was like "WTF Why do I have a bag of like 120 Monterey blues?... Oh yeah MxSS Duh"

I'm glad I'm so patient, otherwise I'd be miserable  :))

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #137 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 23:04:32 »
I'm glad I'm so patient, otherwise I'd be miserable  :))

So am I friend :))

Update time, electroplated samples have arrived at the factory, and are now on their way to me with the new case sample.

One side brushed, other side mirror polished

Both sides brushed

Linked below are the full albums of photos I've received.

https://imgur.com/a/hRnQAO2
https://imgur.com/a/UwaykNs

Will keep everyone posted  :thumb:

Offline dantambok

« Reply #138 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 01:07:48 »
Brushed is the way to go! Hoping this GB wraps up before CNY hits  :p
Stuff  I have
More

100+ GMK sets

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #139 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 18:12:49 »
Am I still able to get the untreated brass like before?
Also, how are the cases doing?

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #140 on: Wed, 24 October 2018, 18:34:29 »
Am I still able to get the untreated brass like before?
Also, how are the cases doing?

Yep, should still be fine getting untreated brass, I'd just like to solve the issue for the finish first before doing a final check on what finishes people would like (again).

As for the cases, they were also ready to go, but the factory found during a test fit yesterday that they used the incorrect model for the new prototype, one which we did not have matching parts for, and so they need to remake those.  :blank:

I apologise again about he GB timeline going absolutely whack, but I can guarantee that the factory is willing to work with me to achieve my required quality standards. Will keep everyone posted.

Offline MightyFineShindig

« Reply #141 on: Thu, 15 November 2018, 02:29:00 »
Any progress?
Canoe | MxSS | M60-A | Aegis | Unikorn | Constellation

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #142 on: Thu, 15 November 2018, 04:56:09 »
Any progress?

Indeed there is, I've been in exam season and hence a bit slow to post.

I received the new prototype cases and electroplated brass parts on Monday.
Starting with the positives, the brass parts look pretty damn good.

More pics of the former: https://imgur.com/a/Pr3S6jI
More pics of the latter: https://imgur.com/a/j8WjZrx

The first has one side lightly brushed and the other side polished, the second has both sides brushed. The polish isn't as shiny as the before, I suspect that would be the factory simply being lazy sadly. For what it's worth, a slightly rougher surface tends to make the electroplating more consistent, so I won't bother them too much on that matter. The second is brushed both sides, and actually very damn clean, quite impressed by it.

I'll get a poll out later to allow people to choose their preferences for brass finishing.

Moving on to the less happy news, the new polycarb cases still don't meet my standards. They no longer have issues with warp (hurrah!) but they still have a few issues which bother me quite a bit.

First up, we have the inserts being slightly pulled out by the case. Second and third, you have careless mistakes to do with inserting the inserts (accidentally damaging the polycarb and inserting it at the wrong angle). Finally, we have insufficient polishing of the polycarb cases.

I will try my best to resolve all these issues, keeping in mind how long I've been taking. Would be a shame to get your boards only to have lost interest in it haha.

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #143 on: Fri, 16 November 2018, 04:16:57 »
Any progress?

Indeed there is, I've been in exam season and hence a bit slow to post.

I received the new prototype cases and electroplated brass parts on Monday.
Starting with the positives, the brass parts look pretty damn good.

Show Image

Show Image

More pics of the former: https://imgur.com/a/Pr3S6jI
More pics of the latter: https://imgur.com/a/j8WjZrx

The first has one side lightly brushed and the other side polished, the second has both sides brushed. The polish isn't as shiny as the before, I suspect that would be the factory simply being lazy sadly. For what it's worth, a slightly rougher surface tends to make the electroplating more consistent, so I won't bother them too much on that matter. The second is brushed both sides, and actually very damn clean, quite impressed by it.

I'll get a poll out later to allow people to choose their preferences for brass finishing.

Moving on to the less happy news, the new polycarb cases still don't meet my standards. They no longer have issues with warp (hurrah!) but they still have a few issues which bother me quite a bit.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

First up, we have the inserts being slightly pulled out by the case. Second and third, you have careless mistakes to do with inserting the inserts (accidentally damaging the polycarb and inserting it at the wrong angle). Finally, we have insufficient polishing of the polycarb cases.

I will try my best to resolve all these issues, keeping in mind how long I've been taking. Would be a shame to get your boards only to have lost interest in it haha.

These boards are really shaping up to be something special. I was gonna say I can't wait to see them go out, but actually I'm happy to wait and I'm guessing others are too if it means getting the boards to meet your exacting standards.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #144 on: Sat, 17 November 2018, 17:02:11 »
Will this work with a 910 plate?

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #145 on: Sat, 17 November 2018, 17:03:40 »
Will this work with a 910 plate?

Nope, the plate has different mounting points. See below (marked in red):

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #146 on: Thu, 29 November 2018, 17:58:37 »
Hey all, I've been on a short vacation (just finished uni!), so I thought I'd post a quick update on the situation.

PCBs arrived when I got back from my trip, they're lying in a box for now, will get to testing them next week.
I've managed to borrow a sandblasted brass sample off my designer, and took photos comparing it to the other finishes:

In order, sandblasted, brushed, mirror polished, and mirror polished stainless steel (black nickel plated). The sandblasted parts are not (and will not) be plated, the rest of the brass parts are gold plated.
More pictures are available here: https://imgur.com/a/N2QqXYT

As for the cases, I want some feedback from you guys. I'll organise a proper form for it once things are more concrete, but what do you think about the finish on the polycarb? Are the marks fine with you?

For reference, the "dirtiness" on the left side of the weight isn't fingerprint smudges on the brass, but rather something of the sort on the polycarb, under or in the top coating, we have yet to figure out.
I'm unsure if we'll be able to correct the marks, though I'll try and push for some sort of improvement. The major improvements are to do with the inserts, I will do my best to ensure those won't fail on us.

Mx

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #147 on: Sun, 23 December 2018, 16:37:05 »
Hey all, it's been a bit over 3 weeks so just another post.

No updates at all to give, my factory rep went on holiday shortly after I went on holiday, and communication was taking place at a week messages a week rather than a day. We're finally back on the topic of the cases, hope to provide updates soon.

Offline MxBlue

• * Maker
  • buy my keyboard
« Reply #148 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 06:19:15 »
Happy new year! Is not exactly what I'd like to say in a GB post but it is how it is :))

Anyhow, progress! The factory tested new inserts and they're looking much better.

Requested another sample from them to verify the problem is resolved, then will move on to message everyone for brass preferences (just trying to avoid jumping the gun on that :p )

Offline dantambok

« Reply #149 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 08:44:54 »
Woohooo! That’s great news!  ;D
Stuff  I have
More

100+ GMK sets