Author Topic: [GB] Atlas - Extras June 30  (Read 40807 times)

Offline Narf

• Krado Industries
Re: [GB] Atlas - QC'ing at CK
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 17:34:22 »
Any update for mykeyboard.eu orders?

From what I'm gathering, it looks like the boards have made it but they are missing PCBs or some other parts still. The team over at MyKeyboard.EU is gonna look into it further and reach back out to me soon.

Latest news is that everything is ready minus the daughterboards. As soon as they receive those they can ship out the boards.

Great, thank you for the update! Hopefully the daughterboards arrive soon.  :thumb:

Offline Halcyrin

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 20:53:44 »
I dont know if its come up or if I've missed it in the thread, but is the Atlas compatible with VIA?

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #52 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 21:02:51 »
I dont know if its come up or if I've missed it in the thread, but is the Atlas compatible with VIA?

Yes. Both PCBs will be VIA compatible

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
Re: [GB] Atlas - Shipping at CK
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 16:07:28 »
CK has begun shipping these out. Some of you have already received your boards.

If you are waiting on extras, the manufacturer shorted CK some parts so the replacement parts will take a few weeks to arrive. Hopefully you won't have to wait too long.

Offline SneakaTwix

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 19:41:34 »
I finally got mine!

Unfortunately, while trying to put it together one of the bottom case screws already had signs of stripping and when I tried to open the case, it was just stripped, the other 3 of the bottom screws are alright. Might have just been an unlucky screw problem, have had this happen when buying bulk screws for auto parts as well.

Any idea what the screw size is so I can find a replacement and stock them as well?

Also, new to the ortho scene, are if I do a 2U spacebar, do I need to put stabilizers? Any recommendations on keycaps as well?

Thanks in advance.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 13 April 2021, 20:25:29 »
I finally got mine!

Unfortunately, while trying to put it together one of the bottom case screws already had signs of stripping and when I tried to open the case, it was just stripped, the other 3 of the bottom screws are alright. Might have just been an unlucky screw problem, have had this happen when buying bulk screws for auto parts as well.

Any idea what the screw size is so I can find a replacement and stock them as well?

Also, new to the ortho scene, are if I do a 2U spacebar, do I need to put stabilizers? Any recommendations on keycaps as well?

Thanks in advance.

Please contact Cannon Keys about the screw size. I don't have a production unit yet and the prototype screws are not the same.

As for stabs, you do not need to use them for 2u keys, but if your thumb or finger doesn't fall directly over the middle of the keycap, I'd use a stab. As for keysets, it depends what profile you like. There aren't a whole lot of in-stock options if you're looking for quality. Drop might have some GMK or MT3 stuff in stock. You may want to check out DSS profile if you don't want to wait too long. Turn-around time for DSS GBs is only about 3 months ATM. Doesn't hurt to also hop in a Discord an ask around or check out the mech-market in different Discord servers. 

Offline Halcyrin

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 01:40:08 »
 My board came in and it is awesome nasp, I think you did a good job. The 2x2u layout does seem not to take very well to a custom keymap using qmk config, but I might've done something wrong and am still trying to get it to work.

I also know next to nothing about VIA, but the atlas isnt detected upon running it. Tried flashing the via firmware onto the board and nothing changed and it doesnt pull up on the config. I'll take all the help I can get if anyone else is running this board in 2x2u?

Offline KurageOuji

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 14:51:40 »
yeah i need guidance on flashing and changing the keymap for this guy. i see a .bin file on via's firmware page, but what do i do with that to make it get recognized on via
?

Offline Chippy

• sus chef
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 15:10:56 »
yeah i need guidance on flashing and changing the keymap for this guy. i see a .bin file on via's firmware page, but what do i do with that to make it get recognized on via
?

My board came in and it is awesome nasp, I think you did a good job. The 2x2u layout does seem not to take very well to a custom keymap using qmk config, but I might've done something wrong and am still trying to get it to work.

I also know next to nothing about VIA, but the atlas isnt detected upon running it. Tried flashing the via firmware onto the board and nothing changed and it doesnt pull up on the config. I'll take all the help I can get if anyone else is running this board in 2x2u?

Atlas via fix

-json download: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/772835813297487903/831729714774409236/atlas.json

-firmware download: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/772835813297487903/831737874079809556/cannonkeys_atlas_via_vintage.bin

1. flash the via firmware (.bin) (make sure it is set to 32u2, if it is saying device not recognized, make sure the correct winusb driver is installed via zadig. You can put the atlas into boot mode via the reset button on the back, or by holding escape down while plugging in. Some people have reported the escape method does not work, in this case just use the button.)
2. open via, click design tab (if there is no design tab, enable it in settings tab)
3. load the via definitions via the .json you downloaded
4. hopefully it will now be working, enjoy your board!

I wrote this pin for the ck discord, it has worked for other people. Let me know if it helps.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 April 2021, 15:26:03 by Chippy »
1.2og | Buddy 6xx | Le Fishe V1 Proto | xyz60 Rev2 | Quartermaster | Chimera65 | Satisfaction75 | Realforce 84u | Zenith Z-150 | Realforce 86u | 378
More
This and the swiss cheese keyboard is the next generation of keyboards

Offline Halcyrin

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 20:46:55 »

Atlas via fix

-json download: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/772835813297487903/831729714774409236/atlas.json

-firmware download: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/772835813297487903/831737874079809556/cannonkeys_atlas_via_vintage.bin

1. flash the via firmware (.bin) (make sure it is set to 32u2, if it is saying device not recognized, make sure the correct winusb driver is installed via zadig. You can put the atlas into boot mode via the reset button on the back, or by holding escape down while plugging in. Some people have reported the escape method does not work, in this case just use the button.)
2. open via, click design tab (if there is no design tab, enable it in settings tab)

I wrote this pin for the ck discord, it has worked for other people. Let me know if it helps.

Thank you Chippy, this worked like a charm. I really appreciate the help.

Offline Chippy

• sus chef
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 22:58:33 »

Atlas via fix

Thank you Chippy, this worked like a charm. I really appreciate the help.

glad it worked, enjoy the board!
1.2og | Buddy 6xx | Le Fishe V1 Proto | xyz60 Rev2 | Quartermaster | Chimera65 | Satisfaction75 | Realforce 84u | Zenith Z-150 | Realforce 86u | 378
More
This and the swiss cheese keyboard is the next generation of keyboards

Offline krautcat

• local the flammable man without identity
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 10:00:48 »
nasp, is there any plate files available? I remember you said plate files will be available after GB and it seems it comes to be concluded soon.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 10:34:25 »
nasp, is there any plate files available? I remember you said plate files will be available after GB and it seems it comes to be concluded soon.

Absolutely, here it is: * Atlas-2x2u-plate.dxf (78.38 kB - downloaded 131 times.)

Offline krautcat

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 10:41:59 »
Absolutely, here it is: (Attachment Link)
Thank you! I watched it in online viewer and I guess it is universal plate file despite its name, isn't it?

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #64 on: Thu, 15 April 2021, 10:52:02 »
Absolutely, here it is: (Attachment Link)
Thank you! I watched it in online viewer and I guess it is universal plate file despite its name, isn't it?

Yes, it fits all layouts - grid, MIT, 2x2u - the name is because originally the Atlas was designed without 2x2u support.

Offline StrangPrisoner

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 00:17:33 »
I have two questions:
1. Is there any chance that there are extra hotswappable PCBs for purchase? I mutilated mine installing switches (I am not proud...)
2. Should I be using a different hex file than cannonkeys_atlas_alps_default_78bd56a6.hex to flash my Alps PCB? When I flash this the layout is 18 kinds of borked.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 00:29:49 »
I have two questions:
1. Is there any chance that there are extra hotswappable PCBs for purchase? I mutilated mine installing switches (I am not proud...)
2. Should I be using a different hex file than cannonkeys_atlas_alps_default_78bd56a6.hex to flash my Alps PCB? When I flash this the layout is 18 kinds of borked.

1. Most likely, if not I sell a solderable version on my store - www.checkerboards.xyz

2. That's the Alps/MX PCB. Use the other Atlas firmware

Offline StrangPrisoner

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 00:41:53 »
I have two questions:

1. Most likely, if not I sell a solderable version on my store - www.checkerboards.xyz

Forgive me, I'm confused on your answer to the second question.
I have both the hotswappable MX PCB and the MX/Alps solderable PCB.
So on the solderable Alps PCB I am using the incorrect firmware in the cannonkeys_atlas_alps_default_78bd56a6.hex? Should I use the firmware Chippy posted but select 32u4 MCU?

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 00:54:46 »
Sorry. Reading comprehension isn't good at night. You are using the correct firmware for the Alps PCB.

Offline krautcat

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 13:45:48 »
Also I have a question. Does hotswap PCB support only one layout or it is multilayout PCB? I want full grid layout but don;t know whether it is possible and I cannot find any info about hotswap PCB layout (photos of the back of the PCB).

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 14:19:26 »
I have two questions:

So on the solderable Alps PCB I am using the incorrect firmware in the cannonkeys_atlas_alps_default_78bd56a6.hex? Should I use the firmware Chippy posted but select 32u4 MCU?

Also I have a question. Does hotswap PCB support only one layout or it is multilayout PCB? I want full grid layout but don;t know whether it is possible and I cannot find any info about hotswap PCB layout (photos of the back of the PCB).

Please let me know if you still need help, Strang. I wasn't quite coherent last night. The Alps/MX PCB uses an Atmega 32u4 - it might seemed borked because the default keymap is Colevrak. Sorry about that, I should have went with Qwerty.

Krautcat, yes, the Hotswap PCB does full grid as well as MIT (2u) and double 2u.

Offline StrangPrisoner

« Reply #71 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 16:54:01 »
I have two questions:

Please let me know if you still need help, Strang. I wasn't quite coherent last night. The Alps/MX PCB uses an Atmega 32u4 - it might seemed borked because the default keymap is Colevrak. Sorry about that, I should have went with Qwerty.

Krautcat, yes, the Hotswap PCB does full grid as well as MIT (2u) and double 2u.
I know of Colevrak but have never used it. That explains my confusion there, thank you. Is the Alps PCB meant to be VIA compatible as well? Or will I have to create and compile my own firmware?

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 17:00:53 »
It should be VIA compatible, but you may have to use the Design panel.

The JSON is here: https://github.com/the-via/keyboards/blob/master/src/nasp/atlas_alps.json

Offline Ratheighna

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 19 April 2021, 14:26:58 »
Hopefully MyKeyboard gets the last parts in soon. I'm in the US but I missed the boat on the Cannon Keys buy so I had to set up a 3rd party to ship it to me from Europe.
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 April 2021, 14:29:21 by Ratheighna »

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 19 April 2021, 14:49:13 »
Hopefully MyKeyboard gets the last parts in soon. I'm in the US but I missed the boat on the Cannon Keys buy so I had to set up a 3rd party to ship it to me from Europe.

I believe CK is shipping MYKB the necessary daughterboards so it shouldn't be too much longer.

Offline KurageOuji

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 23:01:22 »
my unit came with a scratch on the bottom but cannonkeys told me to sod off, beware of them

Offline D3LTA

« Reply #76 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 22:26:53 »
I've noticed a potential tolerancing issue with the E-white case. Not sure if it is dimensionally equivalent to the other colors, but I'm having some interference issues on mine. When removing the back plate, the bottom diffuser cracked on both edges.
* IMG_5608-1.jpg (362.64 kB. 2711x1005 - viewed 150 times.)
* IMG_5606-1.jpg (379.97 kB. 3023x1174 - viewed 107 times.)

Additionally, I can't get the top case to slide over the USB-C daughterboard easily. Not really wanting to force it.
* IMG_5609-1.jpg (387.17 kB. 2225x1552 - viewed 108 times.)
* IMG_5610-1.jpg (584.17 kB. 2584x1660 - viewed 111 times.)

I've already reached out to Cannon Keys, really hoping that they have a spare diffuser. Any advice on the daughterboard? Only idea that comes to mind is trying to file down the sides a bit, but I'm hoping to avoid any further issues.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 09:01:44 »
I have a production e-white case and haven't noticed these problems - not saying they don't exist but I'm sure Cannon Keys will do their best to resolve the problems.

As for the daughterboard, after receiving the prototype we opened up the opening a bit so the daughterboard would fit better , so I'm a bit frustrated - and I'm sure you are too - that it's still too tight. You can definitely sand the edges of the PCB, without any issue, so that it can fit better.

Hope all goes well. 

Offline krautcat

« Reply #78 on: Sat, 08 May 2021, 16:12:45 »
Can confirm there's an issue with tolerance on e-white case. I have cracked bottom diffuser on the one side when removed the plate. Thankfully it cracked in a way that I can flip the diffuser and there won't be any noticeable damage on the use side. But it affects in a some way lightning.

My first build was without detaching the plate, so diffuser cracked only when I decided to properly built the Atlas.

I have contacted Cannonkeys recently too, will see any progress for the issue.

Offline PradyXT

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 11 May 2021, 12:14:34 »
Interesting, I want this. I like the diffusers
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 May 2021, 12:16:39 by PradyXT »

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
Re: [GB] Atlas - Extras June 30
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 28 June 2021, 15:56:16 »
Cannon Keys will have extras for sale on June 30th - this Wednesday - at 11 AM Eastern Daylight Time.

And again, shameless plug: if you would like a MX/Alps solderable PCB, I'm selling them on my store at https://www.checkerboards.xyz/atlas-alpsmx-pcb.html