Author Topic: Clicky ergonomic  (Read 6589 times)

Offline marrt

Clicky ergonomic
« on: Sat, 23 February 2008, 18:20:33 »
I'm trying to find an ergonomic kb with mechanical switches.  Preferably with tactile feedback.  I've looked for years for an IBM M15 and have given up.  I'm currently using a rare Reveal ergonomic with mechanical Alps switches.  It's not too bad but I was wondering if there were other options (other than DataDesk Smartboard which I didn't like too much).

Clicky ergonomic
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 February 2008, 18:57:21 »
Quote from: marrt;3182
I'm trying to find an ergonomic kb with mechanical switches.  Preferably with tactile feedback.  I've looked for years for an IBM M15 and have given up.  I'm currently using a rare Reveal ergonomic with mechanical Alps switches.  It's not too bad but I was wondering if there were other options (other than DataDesk Smartboard which I didn't like too much).

Reveal - never heard of it.  I have a Northgate Evolution though (white Alps):
http://c-techsys.com/products.html

I find it too hard on my fingers, though.  So I'm using the MS Natural Multimedia most of the time.  It's a membrane, but feels clicky enough, especially compared with the MS NEK4000.

Offline marrt

Clicky ergonomic
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 24 February 2008, 08:21:03 »
This kb may be older than you (lol)…it has an original XT style connector (pre-PS).  I’m guessing 1985 vintage. I think Reveal was a generic office products name.  

I looked at the Northgate once before.  I didn’t like the funky layout of the arrow keys.  
I used to have an original Northgate but threw it away a couple years ago once I made the move to ergonomic keyboards.  Should have kept it I guess.

Clicky ergonomic
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 24 February 2008, 16:20:54 »
Quote from: marrt;3186
This kb may be older than you (lol)…it has an original XT style connector (pre-PS).  I’m guessing 1985 vintage. I think Reveal was a generic office products name.  

Any pictures?

Offline marrt

Clicky ergonomic
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 February 2008, 08:22:34 »
Picture attached.

Clicky ergonomic
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 26 February 2008, 16:53:25 »
Quote from: marrt;3211
Picture attached.

Looks a lot like my Northgate Evolution, except I have the cursor keys and touchpad in the middle.  Wouldn't surprise me if they were made at the same factory.  BTW, my Evolution was made in 1995.  The cursor keys and touchpad in the middle are useful for offloading the right hand (which gives me the most trouble).

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
Clicky ergonomic
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 02 March 2008, 11:29:17 »
Here's an M15...

http://www.indexworldwide.com/13h6713.html (that's the FRU number)

I may or may not end up getting a 13H6705 (M13) from them (they list it as 13H6710)... they do have some, although I had made an offer on eBay (they're selling the M13s on eBay,) and they let the offer expire (but, IIRC, I put the offer in when they were closed.) I may call them and see...

Also, I just tried 13H6713 in IBM's part site, and it did come up with something, which is a good sign... bad part is, it's availability call and it's $390.

Clicky ergonomic
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 02 March 2008, 18:42:02 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;3344
Here's an M15...
http://www.indexworldwide.com/13h6713.html[/url] (that's the FRU number)

I contacted them a couple of weeks ago.  They didn't have any in stock.

Offline Astra Diesel

Clicky ergonomic
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 02 March 2008, 19:29:50 »
Try the apple adjustable keyboard, it comes with non-clicky alps.

http://search.ebay.com/apple-adjustable-keyboard_W0QQfrppZ50QQfsopZ1QQmaxrecordsreturnedZ300

Right now, there aren't any auctions, so if you need one, you have to buy one for pretty unreasonable prices...

BTW, I don't really like using an ADB keyboard with Griffin's iMate on my PC, the typing rate is really slow and I don't think Griffin has a patch for PC users.  I don't how mac users are faring with older Apple keyboards with imate extensions, but I'm sure they have normal typing rates.

Good luck on your search. ;)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Clicky ergonomic
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 02 March 2008, 23:04:30 »
My iMate works so well I wouldn't know it was there.

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
Clicky ergonomic
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 03 March 2008, 03:23:40 »
I have an iMate on my iMac and I don't notice any iproblems at all.
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline marrt

Clicky ergonomic
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 09 March 2008, 17:31:58 »
Do Apple keyboards work with "IBM compatible" pc's.  I assumed they did not.  Unfortnately for me, I'm stuck in a Vista world for reasons beyond the scope of this discussion.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
Clicky ergonomic
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 09 March 2008, 18:47:20 »
If it's an Apple USB keyboard, it should work.

ADB will work with a Griffin iMate, although I've heard it doesn't work well. (Note Astra Diesel's post above.)

Offline IBI

Clicky ergonomic
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 09 March 2008, 19:11:08 »
What about Maltron? They're not a conventional ergonomic and they're not cheap but they do use cherry switches.
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Clicky ergonomic
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 09 March 2008, 19:43:26 »
Quote from: IBI;3541
What about Maltron? They're not a conventional ergonomic and they're not cheap but they do use cherry switches.

The Maltron looks like something that belongs in a public restroom.  The Kinesis Advantage uses the same brown Cherry switches, and looks better IMO.

Offline IBI

Clicky ergonomic
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 09 March 2008, 20:02:49 »
I was thinking more Apollo control panel, but tastes vary.
Owned: Raptor-Gaming K1 (linear MX)(Broken), IBM Model M UK, Dell AT102W, Left-handed keyboard with Type 1 Simplified Alps.

Clicky ergonomic
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 09 March 2008, 23:30:23 »
Review of some ergonomic keyboards.