Author Topic: Realforce 45g vs 55g  (Read 44233 times)

Offline danrew

Re: Realforce 45g vs 55g
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 10:20:51 »
About two hours of key time with the 55g. Left pinky is getting a little tired, but the same thing happened when I went from MX Browns to MX Blacks. Might be that I need to acclimate to these switches, but if feels like I'm definitely striking harder than I was with MX Blues.
Keyboards:
Filco TKL Blues, Filco TKL Browns, Filco TKL Blacks, Realforce 87U 55G, Realforce 87U 45G, HHKB Pro 2

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 16:16:35 »
Just got my 55g 87U this morning. Gonna bring it to work and take it for a spin.

Initial impressions:
-Love the look of the keyboard. The black legends on grey keys looks awesome and I don't mind that they're a little tough to read quickly. I can touch type around 95 wpm so I generally don't need to look down. My primary game is League of Legends, so my fingers also don't move very far from the QWER.
-The case is a little bigger compared to my Filcos (both are TKL's).
-The switches have a very unique feel. Very pleasant to bottom out on.
-I feel that the 55g switches are a bit heavier than Cherry MX Blues like some have mentioned.

You should try Dota 2.  It's similar to LOL, but IMHO better.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 19 July 2013, 20:58:05 »
About two hours of key time with the 55g. Left pinky is getting a little tired, but the same thing happened when I went from MX Browns to MX Blacks. Might be that I need to acclimate to these switches, but if feels like I'm definitely striking harder than I was with MX Blues.

Give the 55g a few weeks to break in....it will become a completely different switch and lighten up a little bit.

Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Se7en

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 02:54:24 »
Just got my 55g 87U this morning. Gonna bring it to work and take it for a spin.

Initial impressions:

I have a Filco TKL browns at work which a few of my colleagues has commented to be too loud. In your opinion would it be worth it for me noise wise to switch to a non silent Topre?

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 09:53:35 »

Initial impressions:

I have a Filco TKL browns at work which a few of my colleagues has commented to be too loud. In your opinion would it be worth it for me noise wise to switch to a non silent Topre?

Hmmmm. Well, I don't think it'd honestly be any better.  My 45g 660C is a bit loud (If you watched my video) while the silenced versions are SO much quieter. If you get the white version, it's only $15 more to get the silenced version, and I recommend it 100%. That'll be perfect for a work or class environment.
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 20 July 2013, 12:39:08 »
I just got my HiPro in yesterday.  I've only typed on it for about 15 min so far.  This is a very unique keyboard.  Initial impressions of the HiPro are mixed for the moment.  But i'ts growing on me fast.  One thing in particular that I love about this keyboard is the way the number row catches your finger.  I tend to fat finger the "underscore" in particular and often get "+" to go with it.  The upward curvature and more narrow key target have solved that problem right away.  I also love the way the backspace catches your pinky.  Also, the scoops.  this has no nipples on the F and J, but rather very exadurated scoops on "S, D, F" and "J, K, L".  It really just grabs your hands and forces them to the home row.  I have never had trouble with this in the past, but this really will make sure that their is no issue.  My only complaint at the moment is that it's a little louder than I would have liked.  My neighbors at work are sooooooo picky about noise at work.  I'm sure they would complain about it.  Heck, they even complain when I get going fast on a rubber dome.

I'll likely post a review comparing the HiPro, to 87U (silenced), and 87U 55g later.

Offline danrew

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 07:49:58 »

I think it would depend on the specific keyboard with MX browns that you have. The Topre switches in the Realforce 87U I just got are definitely quieter than the MX Browns in my Filco Majestouch.
Keyboards:
Filco TKL Blues, Filco TKL Browns, Filco TKL Blacks, Realforce 87U 55G, Realforce 87U 45G, HHKB Pro 2

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 08:16:57 »
You guys are still arguing about Topre weighting and MX switches? Haven't I made the effort to teach you better...?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 08:21:44 »
You guys are still arguing about Topre weighting and MX switches? Haven't I made the effort to teach you better...?

MY, MY, MY....some lessons are hard to learn ;)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 08:24:31 »
I think I'm going to have my name changed. How does esooMYnona sound?

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 08:32:40 »

Technically it works better grammatically than the current name :P Maybe I should do a tour of the MY Phantom to educate these poor souls.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 July 2013, 12:06:20 by oTurtlez »
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 08:48:15 »

Do it!!

Technically it works better gratically than the current name :p Maybe I should do a tour of the MY Phantom to educate these poor souls.

Sign me up!!

Offline danrew

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 09:20:03 »
Never actually heard of MY switches until this morning. Please rid me of my ignorance o enlightened one!
Keyboards:

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 09:33:44 »
Take a look at my profile to read the truth.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 22 July 2013, 09:47:20 »
Take a look at my profile to read the truth.

The truth is out there...X

Offline danrew

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 11:42:28 »
So...only the G81 has Cherry MY switches? Any reason why no other companies wanted to make em?
Keyboards:

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 12:04:25 »
If you invented the perfect switch, would you let others get in and profit from your glory? I didn't think so.

No, you'd say, "Here, have some of these other crappy switches. We call them MX."

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 12:11:13 »
If you invented the perfect switch, would you let others get in and profit from your glory? I didn't think so.

No, you'd say, "Here, have some of these other crappy switches. We call them MX."

I'm so sigging this.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 12:12:02 »

I'm so sigging this.

Moose is just a siggable person. I speak from experience :p
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 12:16:04 »
I'm so proud lately! That's my third sig so far. I'm aiming for all of them.

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 12:17:46 »
I'm so proud lately! That's my third sig so far. I'm aiming for all of them.

Keep it up moose and I might just change my name to oMooselz
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 12:19:46 »
More like 0Mooselz, because you ain't strong like me.

Offline oTurtlez

• DAT ZACKATTACK
  • Fo' Realforce
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 12:34:32 »
More like 0Mooselz, because you ain't strong like me.

I can't have my "o" it has to be a "0"? :(
TOO BAD FOR YOU

Phantom 62g MX Whites    

Offline danrew

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 15:52:48 »
Keyboards:

Offline danrew

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 18:16:48 »
So far I'm finding the 55g to be a bit less responsive than MX Blues. I like the feeling and the sound of the Topre switches bottoming out, but I think I'm still used to the middle actuation point on the MX switches. So far, I'm not really blown away with the 55g Topre switches. I think I may order a Realforce 87U in 45g or a Type Heaven to try out.
Keyboards:

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 19:06:09 »
Yet Another Victim of the GeekHack syndrome. Soon you'll have 3 Topres: A 55g, a 45g and a variable. Then you might end up with a silent :-)

So far I'm finding the 55g to be a bit less responsive than MX Blues. I like the feeling and the sound of the Topre switches bottoming out, but I think I'm still used to the middle actuation point on the MX switches. So far, I'm not really blown away with the 55g Topre switches. I think I may order a Realforce 87U in 45g or a Type Heaven to try out.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 19:07:46 »

Typing on 55g topre is a lot different than typing on mx switches.  You almost have to stab at the switch and let it fall on its own past the tactile bump and then spring back up.  Keep at it with the 55g and you'll soon find your rhythm.
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 21:02:59 »

I just bought a Hipro and an 87U silent.  I'll trade either of those for your 55g board.  the silent is about 1mo old and the Hipro is like 3 days old - I can prove it with reciepts too.  I wanted to try other options for work, but I just love the 55g.  Offer is there if you want it, otherwise I'll just put them up in the classifieds.

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 21:12:27 »
Here's a pic.  The top is white (55g), the middle is silent, and the bottom is obviously the HiPro

I'll be putting them in the classifieds later as well.

Thanks

FYI, I may keep the silent, but I'm getting rid of the HiPro for sure.  My neighbor loves it, but it's not for me. 

I'll also be posting a review contrasting the three.
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 July 2013, 21:16:58 by KuhnTang »

Offline danrew

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 23 July 2013, 21:58:46 »
Sorry the HiPro didn't work out for you. The Type Heaven I ordered from Amazon should be here tomorrow (God I love Prime shipping). Going to compare the 55g and the 45g head to head and report back here. I'll definitely keep your offer in mind. I'd be more interested in the silent, purely because I'm curious about variable weighted Topres. Kinda wonder what it is about the HiPro that turns people off (almost buy one just to know...almost ha ha).
Keyboards:

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 00:25:55 »
To be honest I don't even notice the variable weighting.  The silent just types like a lighter version of the 55g to me.  I also think the silent is a little scratchy.  As for the HiPro, There is no doubt it's awesome in build quality.  And I actually like the spherical raised keycaps, ALOT.  I just can't get over the light key feel.  I know the key feel is total preference, so I can't say it's a bad keyboard.  I just like a heavier switch.

Offline danrew

« Reply #81 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 15:42:55 »
I think LETE was having some buyer's remorse regarding the HiPro as well. Maybe he can chime in as he seems to be one of the first people to order a HiPro from EK.
Keyboards:

Offline whiteduck

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 24 July 2013, 15:52:48 »

I just bought a Hipro and an 87U silent.  I'll trade either of those for your 55g board.  the silent is about 1mo old and the Hipro is like 3 days old - I can prove it with reciepts too.  I wanted to try other options for work, but I just love the 55g.  Offer is there if you want it, otherwise I'll just put them up in the classifieds.

didn't i send you a message offering to trade my 55g for your silent?  if not, trade??? 
<3

wd
-wd

Offline danrew

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 14:46:59 »
I'm really enjoying the 45g switches on the Type heaven. I definitely notice a difference between the keycaps though. The PBT keys on the Realforce are much quieter than the ABS keys on the Type Heaven. Looks like EK's gonna be getting another order from me soon...the best of both (my) worlds...45g Topre with PBT keys~

Anyone interested in relieving me of this week old Realforce 55g 87U?
Keyboards:

Offline mauri

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 14:50:54 »
variable force woo \o7
I AM BABAR KING OF THE ELEPHANTS

Offline danrew

« Reply #85 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 14:54:14 »
Variables are next on my list :p

Then I suppose Silent Topre.
Keyboards:

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 14:54:58 »

Silent 55g yo....that's what I'm doing once EK gets back from vacation!
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline Acetrak

• ssk.ℜ
  • gnawm_
« Reply #87 on: Fri, 26 July 2013, 15:55:53 »
HHKB 55g Type-S is the way to go :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Offline danrew

« Reply #88 on: Sun, 28 July 2013, 10:48:27 »
Anyone know where I could get a uniform 45g Realforce 104U? Seems like EK's only got variable weighted for the fullsize.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 July 2013, 10:55:22 by danrew »
Keyboards:

Offline danrew

« Reply #89 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 11:03:53 »
According to Brian at EK, fullsize Realforce 104U's with uniform 55g and 35g are being considered. Probably won't be this year though, as Topre's production schedule is backed up.
Keyboards:

Offline HolidaySHRIMP

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 01 December 2013, 18:41:10 »

Silent 55g yo....that's what I'm doing once EK gets back from vacation!

Wot I no see that option. I already have an 87u 55g.

Offline Shikarikato

« Reply #91 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 08:04:48 »

Give the 55g a few weeks to break in....it will become a completely different switch and lighten up a little bit.
Whats your opinion between your HHKB and 55g?

I wouldn't want to jack the thread but I've also been having confusion on which one to get. I do plan to get them both (or maybe more likely get them all, thanks a lot geekhack), but I don't know which one to grab first since there will be a considerable time gap between them.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 08:50:41 »

I wouldn't want to jack the thread but I've also been having confusion on which one to get. I do plan to get them both (or maybe more likely get them all, thanks a lot geekhack), but I don't know which one to grab first since there will be a considerable time gap between them.
I think it all depends on whether or not you're ready to learn a new layout right now, the HHKB does take a little bit of time getting used to, but once you get the gist of it, it will probably instantly become one of your favorites. You really can't go wrong with either one as your first choice, but If I were you I'd go with a HHKB.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 December 2013, 08:58:25 by Flyersfan1 »
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline goobus

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 08:53:55 »

Going to get crucified here by the hordes of HHKB enthusiasts, but I own a HHKB Type-S, RF variable, silent and 55g, and a FC660C and I can say with certainty that the 55g is the king of them all. I'm sorry but the plastic plate on the HHKB just feels shabby when compared to the RF's steel plate. That said, however, there is a certain charm about the HHKB that makes it very enjoyable to type on. If you're looking for solid, though, look elsewhere (hint: 55g).
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 December 2013, 08:55:33 by goobus »

Offline osi

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 09:01:55 »
Good input goobus

Offline goobus

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 09:13:58 »
Good input goobus
Ha I can't tell if sarcasm.

Offline Shikarikato

« Reply #96 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 10:08:32 »
Must be the biggest problem since everyone advocates the HHKB but there's also a lot of good thing about 55g topre. Honestly getting used to the HHKB is probably the least of my problems, I really like the form factor but I'd prefer a better typing experience, obviously I don't know which one would suit me more since I don't think anyone near me has a 55g Realforce and HHKB for me to borrow. I think the 55g would suit me more but I can only base it off of opinions from everyone here and from the fact I think heavier switches are growing on me but I've been on and off with the weights of switches.

Offline Mr. C

« Reply #97 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 10:32:05 »
Finally convinced myself that I need to try a Topre keyboard after having owned Cherry MX Blue, Brown, and Black (All Filco Majestouch TKLs) keyboards. I've finally reached my Cherry MX nirvana after rotating through my keyboards for three years...only to decide to pursue the much talked about "thock thock thock" that Topre fans seem to love.
Confronted with this dilemma I revived my GH account and tried to figure out what to get. So here I am to beat the dead horse some more...Should I get a 45g or 55g unifrom weighted Realforce keyboard? I will most likely end up with a black Realforce 87U in either 45g or 55g uniform weighting (unless Brian at Elitekeyboards.com suddenly discovers a stock of 104U keyboards with all unifrom weighting). If anyone has owned both, I'd love to hear why you prefer one over the other...or if I should just buy both  :D

Many thanks.

I was/am in a similar position. With Cherry switches I prefer blues. I also enjoy Buckling Spring M (SSK) and I bought Leopold FC660C 45g and a used RealForce 87UW 45g. I love typing on the Leopold. Based on the Leopold, I love Topre but the Leopold is probably closer to 50g than 45g based on the RealForce's 45g. The RealForce 45g is ok, but doesn't satisfy me. So, I have ordered a 87UB 55g from Elitekeyboards today. So soon I will know the answer (for me!). I think if you love browns, the 45g RealForce is your choice. If you love blues and or buckling springs then get the 55g.
Good luck.

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
« Reply #98 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 10:35:35 »

Going to get crucified here by the hordes of HHKB enthusiasts, but I own a HHKB Type-S, RF variable, silent and 55g, and a FC660C and I can say with certainty that the 55g is the king of them all. I'm sorry but the plastic plate on the HHKB just feels shabby when compared to the RF's steel plate. That said, however, there is a certain charm about the HHKB that makes it very enjoyable to type on. If you're looking for solid, though, look elsewhere (hint: 55g).

I agree.  The HHKB is fun because its got a small form factor and the switches are really tactile (more so than the 55g RF).  However, the 55g RF is smooth yet tactile (i.e. it's more refined). 
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline osi

« Reply #99 on: Mon, 02 December 2013, 10:39:54 »
Good input goobus
Ha I can't tell if sarcasm.
[/quote]

NOT sarcasm! :D