geekhack Community > Ergonomics

Mechanical Split Keyboard

(1/3) > >>

Necroleachate:
Is there anyone? Or I will have to make my own?

itlnstln:
There's a few, but most are OOP.

IBM M15 (Good luck finding this one)
Northgate Evolution
Reveal Something-or-Other
Cherry Ergo-Plus (another one that's hard to find)
uTron (These are in production, but you would have to import one from Asia, and they are about $500)

nraymond:

--- Quote from: Necroleachate;173450 ---Is there anyone? Or I will have to make my own?
--- End quote ---

I really liked the old DataDesk Smartboard (ADB model), and about 8 years ago I bought their USB version, but at the time they changed the plastic from platinum to a semi-translucent white, and it was much more brittle.  It wasn't long before several of the keycaps cracked under normal use (near the stem).  I wrote to them, and they sent me replacement keycaps.  It looks like they've since changed their plastic:

http://www.datadesktech.com/desktop_sb.html

I also want to say the keyswitch they used changed between the old ADB version and the USB version, but I haven't tried a side-by-side in quite some time (and when I last had them both out was before I really became very cognizant of keyswitch brands and types).

Their front page also has this at the bottom:

"SmartBoard II - Coming Soon!  Our most sought-after product is getting even better. Every key re-definable w/o software, USB 2.0 Hub, and much more. Call 1-888-446-3222 or email sales@datadesktech.com for information."

Interesting.  I hope they build it well.

itlnstln:
I forgot about the Smartboard.  That "Smartboard II..." message has been there for about a year or so.  I wouldn't get too excited about it.

itlnstln:
The Apple Adjustable is another, but most people around here that have used it didn't like it.  Most of the split ergo keyboards you find are going to be ALPS-based.  The M15 (BS), uTron (Topre), Maltron (Cherry), Cherry Ergo-Plus and Kinesis (Cherry) are not, but they are much harder to find or fairly expensive (or both).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version