Author Topic: AMD 2022  (Read 2092 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
AMD 2022
« on: Wed, 05 January 2022, 19:12:06 »
280774-0

Ok, soooo..  we "Thought" am4 was dead socket,  but they're giving it 1 last hoorah w/ 5800x3d  Which supposedly surpasses 12900k in gaming.   That's pretty interesting since it's roughly the same clocks and cores, but with added 3D-Vertical cache.

It's impressive that, that vcache alone can boost its perf so much.

280776-1

Then Zen 4, Ryzen 7000 series coming second half of the year,  it's prolly gonna be pretty pwnage, considering the 5800x3d is 7nm , while Z4 will be on 5nm.    Even a tiny clock bump will send it up towards 10-20% boost.   And we're already familiar with TSMC's 5nm enough through apple, that they're absolutely capable of this dialing up.

Zen 4's physical design seems interesting with caps all over the chip, probably to maintain stable voltage across the large plain.

There was a bit in the promo where they emphasize that AMD is the only company that can do an Efficiency core AND a Performance core on the same CORE.   That's really just a polite way of saying , hey Intel  we don't need to Cheat benchmarks on immensely crappy power consumption.

Not a whole lot of info on Desktop GPUs,  the 6500xt for $200,  it seeeeems something like a 1060 or so lvl card.... for $200, ehhh.. assuming it's available to buy, not so bad.. but not mind blowing.

Mobile CPU/GPU will be interesting, They're doing what they call Zen3+ on 6nm instead of the 7nm zen 3, We'll see how they actually do on their 24hr battery life promise.

Stonk's done well.  /Long AMD? /Not investment advice

THOUGHTS ?, y'all watch the promo ?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: AMD 2022
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 January 2022, 22:30:26 »
More stuff to be scalped.
Have you looked at DDR5 memory prices... LOL

You can pare it with a new 3090 TI to really destroy your wallet.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 January 2022, 11:33:43 »
I did not see the promo.  Have they canned the desktop APU or did you roll it in with the mobile?  Still hoping to get there while knowing something will die a month too soon.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 January 2022, 12:26:40 »
I did not see the promo.  Have they canned the desktop APU or did you roll it in with the mobile?  Still hoping to get there while knowing something will die a month too soon.

They're still doing APU,  it's suppose to be double the existing APU gpu,  That's not much, but they're saying you can play some AAA titles @ 1080p low @ above 60fps with the AI resolution scaling enabled, so not 1080p, but close to it, probably with halving the vertical or horizontal pixels. .

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 18 January 2022, 10:36:52 »
They're still doing APU,  it's suppose to be double the existing APU gpu,
Hopefully it will never see a widescreen monitor and I don't think I'm going to become a gamer overnight - the GPU on my old 5775C would still be good enough for my needs but the one in my current 4980HQ is not, hence having to use an overkill GPU (1050ti)  Whatever they come up with will be fine, just glad it doesn't mean having to buy one of those essentially screenless laptop mini-PC jobbies or a dodgy modded CPU.
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 18 January 2022, 12:14:04 »
Hopefully it will never see a widescreen monitor and I don't think I'm going to become a gamer overnight - the GPU on my old 5775C would still be good enough for my needs but the one in my current 4980HQ is not, hence having to use an overkill GPU (1050ti)  Whatever they come up with will be fine, just glad it doesn't mean having to buy one of those essentially screenless laptop mini-PC jobbies or a dodgy modded CPU.

Step 1, stand on street corner

Step 2 x 10, do the things a man shouldn't do

Step 3, buy Nvidia 3090

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 18 January 2022, 16:12:50 »
buy Nvidia 3090
Would make a pretty paperweight but I'd need a couple more step 2's to buy a big PSU if I wanted to use it, and I don't think the stock heatsink would like being upside down so a few more 2's for welder and some alu sheets and angle to build myself a new case, plus more for a big radiator (3x180mm?) to run fanless as the roof (positive pressured case with intake below mobo on the floor for direct cooling)  And more 2's for a pump, waterblock and some fancy hard pipe and bender...

Between all the step 2's, learning to weld, designing and building the case and learning to bend pipes I'd probably be better off targetting a 5090 :p
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 18 January 2022, 16:19:02 »
Run open chassis, problem solved. 15x  s2 tops.