Author Topic: [IC] Altair and Altair-X - Split ergonomic keyboard | GB starting Apr 29  (Read 21273 times)

Offline ai03

• I do not reply to PMs; contact me via website
    • Website
Altair and Altair-X

Latest update: Vendors and final pricing announced here

After half a decade of development and over two years of use as a daily driver, Altair and Altair-X represent ai03's current benchmark in keyboard design for productivity and comfort.
Going beyond just internals or mounting methods, the Altair family blends a fully-split ergonomic key layout with high-end keyboard visuals and internals to take typing comfort to the next level.

Third Time's the Charm

Altair's key layout is the third ergonomic layout iteration by ai03, having been revised after heavy real-world testing and years of use.
Altair's layout focuses on three important aspects:

Ease of learning.

While visually unique, Altair closely matches a typical keyboard in general key positions.
Care has been taken to make sure that anyone can learn the layout quickly, while also being able to jump between Altair and other keyboard layouts when necessary.

Typing Excellence.

Altair's key placement matches natural finger movement ranges closely, minimizing both finger and hand-movement during use.
This in return minimizes typing effort and strain, while also contributing to higher possible typing accuracy and speeds.

The Ergo Advantage.

Altair's layer switching keys are conveniently placed right next to the spacebars, allowing for convenient layer switching with minimal finger movement.
Taking full advantage of Altair's split design, an extra column has been added to the inner side of the G/H split - map this to your favorite macros for convenient access, or use them as dedicated bracket keys for programming efficiency.
They can also be used as a duplicate set of inner alphanumerics to help adjust to the layout, or even as a dedicated pedestal to display your artisan collections in style.

Form Matches Function

Carefully drawn curves wrap around the keys, integrating the ergonomic key layout into part of the visuals.

A unique mix of soft organic curves, geometric arcs, and bold straight edges create a dynamic aesthetic reaching far beyond the board's compact size.

A bottom emblem weight adds the final visual touch, while also serving as an acoustic damper and a crucial mass to anchor the compact board to the desk.

Tilt and Absorb

Altair features a unique PCB point-mount system which uses the circuit board as a key part of its internal structure.

Small gasket columns hold the PCB from below around the rims, allowing for effective vibration and impact absorption with no "rigid spots" close to mounting points.
Chosen after testing various materials, the specific material and compression ratio ensures a fine balance between comfort and reliable feedback which never devolves into mushiness.

All gasket columns can independently compress, allowing for the entire internals to tilt in all directions to absorb and disperse impacts.
Combined with the ergonomic key layout, Altair ensures all-day typing comfort.

Unique shoulder screws act as columns that keep the internals secured and aligned within the single-part case, making this internals system possible without the need for multiple case parts.

Sculpting and Engineering In Tandem

Altair is truly tailor-made - a custom case, custom PCBs, and even custom daughterboards work in perfect coordination to make the unique layout possible without compromising function or visuals.
The PCB edge bends and stairsteps to perfectly match the case, and the daughterboard precisely angles its USB connectors to match the rear curvature while minimizing interior cutouts.

Altair cuts no corners with high-end tuning and optimizations - with its seven-degree incline and a front ledge that drops down as low as 16.7mm at its tip, the keyboard remains comfortable to use even without assistance of a wristrest.

The Power of Two

Altair is a fully split keyboard - the keyboard halves can be placed to match your natural hand and arm placement, rather than the other way around.
A regular USB-C cable connects the two halves - the choice is yours for how long of a cable to use for balancing keyboard placement and desk clutter.

Ever wanted a premium single-handed keyboard for gaming, artwork, or macropad use?
Altair can take on the task by leaving the split cable disconnected - since each half is a fully functional keyboard, plug in just one half to free up keyboard space on your desk.

The Altair family comes with two variants:
- The Altair (five-row) features a numrow, making it as easy as possible to migrate from larger layouts.
- The Altair-X (four-row) lacks the numrow, condensing the keyboard down to the most easily reachable keys.

Beyond Just the Keyboard

Altair's default key mapping has been optimized over years of testing for easy usability, learn-ability, and minimized memorizing needs - along with the physical layout, Altair aims to be both accessible to the novice and practical to an expert.

A dedicated keyset has been created for both the Altair and Altair-X with custom legends matching the default keymap.
Combined with a planned Altair learning guide, the keyboard is designed to go beyond just dropping the board off in the mailbox, but rather to go the full way for allowing the user to learn and appreciate the ergonomic key layout.

For those who prefer the use of wristrests, custom wristrests that match both the Altair and Altair-X are in the works.

Specifications

Note: Details are as planned at the time of writing the IC.

Typing angle: 7deg
Materials: Aluminum case, polycarbonate plate, steel or brass weight
Manufacturer: Expected to be Hongtu
Weight (both halves combined): ~1.2kg (Altair 5-row) | ~900g (Altair-X 4-row)
Dimensions (per half): ~143.6 x 126.4 x 30.0mm (Altair 5-row) | ~143.6 x 107.4 x 27.9mm (Altair-X 4-row)
PCB: 1.2mm thick; hotswap
Vendors: Full list here
Price: Starting at 300 USD for Altair-X (4-row) and 315 USD for Altair (5-row); full pricing list here
Target group buy date: April 29 to June 3
Colors:

- E-white

- Dark Grey

- Rose Gold

Accessories: Foam layers (midfoam, bottomfoam, PCB foam), tailored carrying cases, tailored wristrests, custom keysets
Custom keysets: 30USD for Altair (5-row), 27USD for Altair-X (4-row)

Feedback Form
To leave feedback, request features, or just to receive updates when the project goes live, submit the IC form here.
In addition, I'll be releasing updates on my Discord as the project progresses.

« Last Edit: Thu, 25 April 2024, 19:21:09 by ai03 »

Offline ai03

• Website
Re: [IC] Altair and Altair-X - Third generation split ergonomic keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 19 January 2024, 19:02:49 »

An in-depth look at Altair

While I usually keep ICs compact, there's a lot to write about with the Altair family, so I'll deviate from the typical format and describe the behind-the-scenes and reasoning behind aspects of the design.

A (not-so-)brief history

As stated in the earlier portion of the IC, Altair (specifically the four-row Altair-X) has been my daily driver keyboard for over two years at this point - specifically around two and a half.
In the span I've added numerous keyboards to my collection, but Altair-X has remained the one daily driver keyboard that I come back to - at least for my preferences, so far nothing beats the extreme typing accuracy, comfort, and effortlessness that this board provides.

My efforts at ergonomic keyboard design date back to the original Orbit which began in late 2018.
The inspiration was drawn from attending some of the earlier Tokyo keyboard meetups - it was a time when at minimum 9 out of 10 keyboards on display were ergonomic or non-standard layout units, and being able to try them for the first time gave me the desire to combine the metal cases and internals of the typical "custom keyboards" with the ergonomic layouts that go beyond just variations of the typical row-stagger.
Being my first split keyboard design, it took quite some effort and research to make it happen - learning split PCB design, configuring the firmware, and simply the task of designing around the non-rectangular key layout required plenty of time, and the knowledge gained from the task would eventually influence my other designs later on.

A total of 10 units were produced, being sold as effectively a semi-private group buy primarily for the JP audience.

By late 2019, I was already feeling the desire to build upon the design further, having noticed some aspects which I wanted to improve.
For example, the interconnect cable exiting from the thumb area was moved to the back, allowing for more freedom in placing the halves without getting the cables tangled.
After realizing that the hands and wrists move very little when using an ergonomic keyboard which limits the reach of the fingers, most of the outer keys and numrow was axed in favor of a compact layout with every key in reach from home position.
This revised prototype design, named the Orbit-X, arrived and was shown off for the first time at the December 2019 SoCal meetup - one of the very last meetups before the pandemic took the world by surprise.

A side note is that this was one of my earliest designs which combined internal case screws with a seamless design, an element which was effectively transplanted into the Vega which made its debut soon after.

From then on, I almost exclusively used the Orbit-X prototype as my daily driver - it was immediately evident that typing accuracy skyrocketed, with speed test accuracy scores rising from the mid-90% range on typical row-stagger layouts to effectively 100% with the ergo.
Combined with the decreased finger and hand movement, Orbit-X quickly proved itself much more comfortable to type on than the other boards on hand.

Yet once again, the desire to improve upon it came around - this time primarily in the internals.
Being a weightless top-mounted board effectively the size of a numpad, the acoustics quickly fell beyond my usual bar when compared to newer row-staggered designs, and due to the rigid screw mount points on the plate, certain keys near the edges were much stiffer compared to the rest.

In addition, there were many keys which proved themselves difficult to reach (primarily in the bottom corner areas commonly blockered-off in HHKB-style layouts), as well as very reachable areas without optimal placement of keys (near the thumb area, on the inner side of the split).

So once again the ergonomic design was revised - this time as Altair-X, removing the hard-to-reach keys, adding keys where reachable and convenient, and overhauling the internals to deliver the needed comfort and acoustics within the tiny board size.
In addition, I used the opportunity to redo the visuals, sculpting it in a much more intricate and organic manner compared to the Orbit-X which used just a combination of arcs and straight edges.

This design was followed with the five-row Altair by redoing the design with a numrow, in hopes that this modification would make the layout more beginner-friendly than the compact Altair-X.
From then on, the early prototype unit of Altair-X replaced the Orbit-X as my daily driver, and was subject to over two years of full-time use in a real-world environment:
- The board was transported around with unideal packaging to test physical durability
- The board was subject to at least 50 static shocks to test its onboard ESD handling circuit
- The board was used to write large software projects such as Hype V2 and the self-service portal
- The board was used to design effectively every board in the past two years (yes, I do CAD without physical arrow keys or a numrow).

Several issues were addressed during this testing, such as the placement of the rubber feet to maximize stability during use, and replacing the internal connection from the daughterboard to the mainboard with a flat ribbon (FFC) to reduce its impact on typing feel.
And after one more final round of prototypes to confirm that these changes were practical and effective, we finally arrive at the Altair family IC with roughly half a decade of development, redesigns, optimizations, and battle-hardenedness under its belt - also written on a unit of Altair-X itself.

This is probably the most heavily-tested and thoroughly-optimized board I've designed to date, and I hope that it is able to serve as not only a unique typing experience that places emphasis on aspects beyond the typical row-stagger layout, but also as a gateway to the wide world of unique layout keyboards out there.

The challenge of two
Due to its split nature, Altair(-X) is inherently two keyboards being sold as one.
This means two cases, two weights, two plates, two PCBs, two daughterboards, two of effectively everything - and if not done correctly, double the price tag.
This has been a huge challenge in making a practical split keyboard ever since I started with the Orbit - on that design, the price tag was simply left high.
On Orbit-X, I skipped the weight to cut costs, but always felt the desire to have one installed.

With Altair, I instead combined the top and bottom case parts into a single case component; this halves the number of large case parts needed, and brings down the price tag to far more accessible ranges.
In addition, due to the lack of case screws and seams to hold the parts together, there's quite a bit more freedom in designing the exterior - something I took full advantage of with sculpting the rear curvature.

The challenge of two also strikes when designing the internals - since the physical volume of the keyboard is divided in half, the next battle becomes trying to achieve typing feel and acoustics which can hold its own against boards 3~4 times in size... while also already limited to just a single numpad-sized case component per half.
After much headaches and numerous attempts, the solution to this challenge ended up being the PCB point-mount system as described earlier.
While there are physical limitations that prevent Altair from sounding exactly like a board multiple times in size, I believe that I've achieved a very satisfactory result acoustically that can be tuned to perform well, while also not compromising any aspects of typing feel which I find crucial to an ergonomic design.

« Last Edit: Fri, 19 January 2024, 19:05:08 by ai03 »

Offline ai03

• Website
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 19 January 2024, 19:02:59 »

Q&A

Q: So Altair and Altair-X... which do I choose?

A: If you're new to ergonomic or compact keyboards, I recommend the five-row Altair, since it allows you to adjust to ergo with the numrow.
Once you get used to ergo and want to take things further, you can always repurpose the numrow keys as function keys, artisan holders, or similar.
If you're used to compact boards, I recommend the four-row Altair-X all the way - beyond the simple advantage of having all keys close to home position, it also has fewer switches for less tuning hassle.

Q: I'm scared to jump to an ergo design out of the blue... is it even possible?

A: I felt the same when I jumped straight from a TKL (~95 WPM, ~97% accuracy) to the Orbit-X for the first time.
My learning experience was as follows:
- Week 1: Typing speed slow, needing to look down at the keys often, making plenty of typing errors specifically around the Z/X/C keys.
- Week 2: Typing speed improving, little need to look at the keys anymore, typing mistakes decreasing significantly.
- Week 3: Typing speed and accuracy is roughly where it was with the TKL, no longer looking down at the keys.
- Week 5~6: Typing speed perfectly matches what it was before with the TKL, typing accuracy far exceeding what it was with the TKL and nearing 100%.
Note that while adjustment speed will vary from person to person, my results were with the obstacle of having to develop a usable keymap alongside learning the physical layout - since I've done that work for you beforehand with Altair, the learning curve may be even lower depending on your keymap preferences.
Also note that my typing speed never increased beyond the row-stagger in the short term while accuracy skyrocketed - it took another year or so until I realized I was typing slightly faster (~110WPM) than what I was achieving with row-stagger.
Ironic that it ended up this way since my original goal for trying ergo was to improve typing speed over everything else - turns out there was more to gain in other aspects.
Once again, these results might vary from person to person, but an interesting point nonetheless.

Q: Are there any specific things I should be aware of when planning my Altair build?

A: My first recommendation is to try a switch weight one or two tiers lighter than what you'd typically pick for a row-stagger build.
Ergos are often typed on with the wrists anchored rather than floating, since the wrists don't need to move much to reach most keys.
Due to this, the keys are pressed with just the force of the fingers rather than the full combined force of the hand and wrists - this leaves less force to press against the spring of the switches.
As a real-world example, I can type on 65~67g switches just fine in a row-stagger, but on ergo I often have trouble going over the 63.5g bar.
Altair's unique mounting system can make switches sound drastically different compared to how they behave in other boards.
This isn't that the board can't be tuned to perform - just that it needs to be tuned quite differently compared to a typical keyboard.
Some examples of what I've experienced:
- Gateron X switches, which I find to be typically loud and sharp-sounding in typical boards, sounds very dull and muffled on Altair.
- Unlubed Alpaca switches, which I find to sound somewhat thin and hollow on typical boards, sounds rather deep and full on Altair.
- Haimu Pastel Sky switches, which I find to be a balanced middle-of-the-road type of sound on typical boards, sounds shrill and hollow on Altair.
- I find Gateron Oil Kings to sound more or less the same on Altair as they do on typical boards.
Since the results are so unpredictable, my personal recommendation is to try a bunch of switches and to see what you prefer the most.

Q: What keyset compatibility do I need to fill the board?

A: Look for ortho kits - stuff that can fill a Planck, Preonic or similar.
Altair(-X) uses all 1U-keys, so an ortho kit should be able to cover it; in certain cases you might need to look for a spacebar kit to find 1U spacebars (or I guess convex space-keys, since it's not much of a bar at that point).
If you don't need legends, one set I recommend is the NicePBT blanks - it comes with the convex 1U spacebars and enough regular 1Us to fill the board.

Q: No tenting kits?

A: I don't have one planned this time around - adding tenting or variable angle capabilities either adds complexity that raises the board height and makes it difficult to type on, or adds mechanical complexity that raises cost in addition to the challenge of having to create two keyboards for the price of one.
Also, part of it comes down to personal preference - I originally tried a tented design with the Orbit, and found it too unwieldy to use without a wristrest; since I value keyboard versatility, I decided to ditch it altogether and optimize the board for a single-angle with a very low front height so it could be comfortably used even without tenting or a wristrest.

« Last Edit: Fri, 19 January 2024, 19:40:22 by ai03 »

Offline .Udon

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 19 January 2024, 19:11:32 »
Orbit-X walked so Altair could run.

Offline Agilr

• Never stop achieving
    • Discord Server
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 19 January 2024, 19:41:19 »
It’s about god damn time.

Offline Azernith

• board enjoyer
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 19 January 2024, 19:59:20 »
what a dedication, GLWIC  :thumb: :thumb:

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 19 January 2024, 20:08:59 »
f i n a l l y
i
n
a
l
l
y

Offline HaloShiroe

• looking for work
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 19 January 2024, 23:34:16 »
Hype as ****, Ergo enthusiasts have been eating good lately.

Offline stomaha

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 20 January 2024, 11:07:57 »
want

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 20 January 2024, 11:44:16 »
It looks very nice.  I had not followed the IC, so it was a pleasant surprise when I saw this in the Cannonkeys marketing email.

I love the look of the 4 column, but I know from experience that I flop when it comes to getting a fully usable board without that numrow.  Mostly because of the complications of getting not only to the numerals but the shifted characters on those numbers.  Things like !, dash, the @ sign, and parentheses are a learning experience when it comes to these layouts.  I did get used to it after a few days with my minivan.  But the way I swap my keyboards out so often makes learning new ways a hassle.  But I think the 5 column will be worth a try!

I own hundreds of keyboards, but only 1 that isn't staggered.  I was surprised to find that it wasn't all that hard to get used to.  And this was a boardwalk, not a split or ergo layout.  So I imagine the Altair will be pretty easy to learn quickly. 

Looking forward to joining the group buy.

Offline sirieous

• help
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 21 January 2024, 19:40:50 »
Looks really dope, am definitely considering

Offline newcscsl

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 21 January 2024, 23:27:27 »
ai03 thoughtful as ever. Also love the dedication to the end user to help learning the ortho layout. The writing definitely got me interested/convinced. But I'd only buy it if sold as a Complete packge with custom keysets and wrist-rests though, cuz I'm noob like that.

Don't know how I feel about the gaskets though. Seems easily squashed.

Sent from my SM-X900 using Tapatalk

Offline GrifNK

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 22 January 2024, 04:03:00 »
I've been following the project for a while and I'm so excited to see it reach the IC. Still deciding if I want to take the 4 row leap or not (mostly due to going down to 2 side mods), but I'm very excited either way!

Offline ai03

• Website
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 22 January 2024, 21:14:58 »
Don't know how I feel about the gaskets though. Seems easily squashed.

From my two years with my first Altair-X prototype, the gaskets seem to hold up fine - I've put the unit through not-too-ideal conditions such as being crushed at full force in a suitcase during overseas transit multiple times, and they feel as firm as day one.

I've been following the project for a while and I'm so excited to see it reach the IC. Still deciding if I want to take the 4 row leap or not (mostly due to going down to 2 side mods), but I'm very excited either way!

I personally jumped straight from a TKL to a 4-row (Orbit-X) so it's definitely doable, but having the numrow might ease the transition or make it possible to take it in steps.
It's possible to repurpose the numrow as a function row or macro keys later on, so my gut instinct is that the 5-row is the safer bet unless you want the compactness and condensed functionality of the 4-row.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 January 2024, 21:17:03 by ai03 »

Offline MordeKonno

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 23 January 2024, 08:04:45 »
Looks good

Offline victorpre

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 25 January 2024, 05:10:35 »
Have been following the Orbit and Orbit-X journeys since they were announced and as I could never get one of them to my hands, I'll be definitely in for Altair. ;)

Offline riterdando

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 30 January 2024, 13:46:34 »
I Like it.
Pretty much depends on the price of I can bum another ergo board.

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk

Offline rtmf

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 05 February 2024, 18:55:42 »
Will I be able to customize the layout at the firmware level? Is it running QMK or ZMK?

Offline Azmodan

• Strangers have the best candy!
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 09 February 2024, 15:19:10 »
I keep checking Cannon Keys daily to see when this is going live!!! I do not think I have been that excited for a keyboard for years...

Are there any estimates on release date? Also is this going to be in the market permanently or group buy?

Offline ai03

• Website
« Reply #19 on: Mon, 12 February 2024, 00:56:39 »
Will I be able to customize the layout at the firmware level? Is it running QMK or ZMK?

The firmware is QMK, so you can customize it as you desire and reflash.
While I'd love to have a wireless Altair at some point, with this design I decided to opt for a wired setup due to limited internal space for a battery and interference issues between aluminum cases and signals.

Are there any estimates on release date? Also is this going to be in the market permanently or group buy?

I don't have an estimate just yet, but hopefully not too far off.
If you're signed up for the CannonKeys newsletter or have the notifications role in my Discord, you'll definitely hear about it before it goes live.

As for permanent or group buy, this run will be a group buy; as for whether or not it'll become a permanent thing in the future, that'll depend on how much demand exists in the long run.

Offline Nevrest

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 13 February 2024, 20:40:28 »
Hope to see a EU vendor for this. Really looking forward to a split board from the legendary Aio3

Offline Artemie

• Don't Let Your Memes Be Dreams
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 20 February 2024, 20:58:21 »
nice. any intention for it to be offered in raw.
| 420CL | Fanoe | Porpoise | KFE R1 Silver| MxSS |  is0 Pink & Silver | HBCP Polycarbonate | Matrix 2.0 Additional Purple | TGR Police | Singa Jaguar Green | KFE R2 Blue | RS so lit | Dolch CR Black | Jelly 60 Blue | Belle en Rose | Kei R2 Olive | Dalco 959 Mini | Aripeko
More
Boards in GB: | IU board |
Previous Boards: QXP | Singa  | UTD | Taichi | Jane v2 Red | Jane v2 CE

Offline ai03

• Website
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 26 February 2024, 09:04:00 »
nice. any intention for it to be offered in raw.

There's been many requests for raw finish in the IC form, so I'm currently looking into whether or not it's possible - hopefully in the near future I'll be able to make an announcement regarding it.

Offline mcmcmc

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 05 March 2024, 23:11:34 »
 :cool:

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 07 March 2024, 15:58:36 »
In for one please EU vendor🙏
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline ylothar

• Yo Ho Ho!
    • KEEB.it
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 09 March 2024, 02:44:53 »
+1 EU vendor
«How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?»

Offline riterdando

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 09 March 2024, 06:03:39 »
+1 for EU vendor

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Offline Sainity

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 09 March 2024, 13:06:36 »
And another 1 (for EU vendor)

Offline ai03

• Website
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 22 March 2024, 15:03:28 »
Many Altair(-X) Updates

First of all, a huge thank-you to everyone who expressed interest and/or filled out the IC form - it truly means a lot to me seeing excitement around this design which I've worked to bring to reality for such a long time.

Things have been quiet for a while since there was a lot of info to wait on, but now that many things are moving, it's time for a rather large set of announcements.

Pricing

Prices will begin at 300 USD per kit for the 4-row Altair-X and 315 USD per kit for the 5-row Altair - in my opinion a solid deal considering that you get effectively two whole CNCed keyboards in the package.
Everything from the cases, plates, weights, PCBs, to even a carrying case and a USB-C interconnect cable are included in that price tag.

The e-white variants will be a few dollars more due to being more expensive to manufacture.

GB Date
The current target group-buy date is late April to early May.
The specifics haven't been finalized just yet so things might change depending on circumstances, but in general expect the group buy to begin around that time.

Wristrests
The most popular wristrest material from the IC form was wood, so wooden wristrests are currently being prototyped.
If they arrive and meet expectations, the price will be finalized and announced.

Custom Keysets
The custom keysets with stock keymap sublegends have been designed by RHHDailo.
Personally I think they look fantastic and are a billion times better than anything I could've pulled off; these will be shared once finalized and rendered.

Other Upcoming Announcements

Now that the pricing is finally ready, the next big step is choosing vendors - this will likely be decided over the next few weeks.

There are many Altair(-X) build streams planned in the future, so keep an eye out for announcements via Discord and similar if you don't want to miss them.

While there were a few requests for a raw finish variant in the IC form, unfortunately raw won't be available this time around - likely due to the complex curvatures and geometry, it was difficult to ensure consistent quality or visually appealing machining marks without a full finishing.

Offline Oogtug84

Re: [IC] Altair and Altair-X - Split ergonomic keyboard | Pricing announced
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 23 March 2024, 10:42:42 »
Ok.... price is big pog. Excellent excellent work aio3, not that we expected anything less.

Super interesting, wondering how difficult it will be to learn to type on this for me.

Offline ai03

• Website
Re: [IC] Altair and Altair-X - Split ergonomic keyboard | Pricing announced
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 05 April 2024, 10:03:33 »
Altair(-X) GB Date and Keyset Announcement
More details are finally ready to share.

Group Buy Date
The Altair(-X) group buy will begin on April 29.
Don't forget to mark your calendars as necessary.

The current expected GB end date is June 3 - a bit over a month of group buy time.

The Custom Keyset
The Altair(-X) keyset by RHHDailo is complete - excellent showcase renders by @bees.keys_ are attached below.

The stock keymaps are color-coded and carefully organized by layer, hopefully making it intuitive to quickly learn and adapt to.
As mentioned in the previous announcement, they're far better than anything I could've pulled off even if spent maybe ten times the time, and I'm most definitely a fan of how it turned out.

Keyset Pricing
The keyst sale price will be 30 USD for the 5-row variant (Altair) and 27 USD for the 4-row variant (Altair-X).
Huge credits to NicePBT for making such low prices possible - especially when considering the tailored design and low MOQ, razor-sharp dyesubbing, and very thick base caps.

Wristrest Progress
The wristrest protos have arrived, and are currently being inspected - hopefully I'll have a decision soon regarding whether it meets the quality bar.

Vendors
Now that pricing and whatnot is finally close to ready for all options and addons, vendors will be decided shortly and will be announced when ready.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 April 2024, 10:45:18 by ai03 »

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
Re: [IC] Altair and Altair-X - Split ergonomic keyboard | GB Date Announced
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 05 April 2024, 15:06:38 »
I'm late to the thread, but another homerun, ai03. I'll have to look into flashing over to ZMK, but this really is a thorough IC. Hats off to you
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline ai03

• Website
Re: [IC] Altair and Altair-X - Split ergonomic keyboard | GB Date Announced
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 25 April 2024, 19:15:14 »
Altair Final Announcements

With the Altair group buy starting less than a week away on the 29th, the final details have finally been confirmed.

Vendors

The vendors for the group buy are as follows:

GB Span

The group buy will run from April 29 to June 3.

Wristrests

This was the source of the announcement delay - the first proto unexpectedly tipped over due to its design and the pressure from the wrists, so they've been fully revised to resolve that problem.
The wristrests will be machined from walnut - note that due to it being a natural material, there may be imperfections and unpredictabilities.

Other Misc Tidbits

The weight will only be offered in brass this time around - steel ended up being too expensive to machine with this design without the price skyrocketing.
The default plate will be polycarbonate, which fits in well with the goals of the board to be as ergonomic and comfortable as possible.
A basic USB-C cable will be included for the split interconnect; any USB 2.0 or higher C-to-C cable should work fine as well.

The Full Pricing List

Altair (5-row)
- Case - 315 USD for dark grey and rose gold, 325USD for e-white
- Learning keyset - 30 USD
- Extra plates - 40 USD for a pair of PC, 55USD for a pair of alu, 25USD for a pair of FR4
- Extra hotswap PCB pair - 55 USD
- Foam layers kit (midfoams, bottomfoams) - 28 USD

Altair-X (4-row)
- Case - 300 USD for dark grey and rose gold, 310USD for e-white
- Learning keyset - 27 USD
- Extra plates - 37 USD for a pair of PC, 52USD for a pair of alu, 21USD for a pair of FR4
- Extra hotswap PCB pair - 51 USD
- Foam layers kit (midfoams, bottomfoams) - 26 USD

Common Accessories
- Extra gaskets kits - 7 USD
- Extra USB-C interconnect cable - 5 USD
- Extra USB daughterboards - 11 USD
- Wooden wristrests pair - 28 USD
- Extra rubber feet (a whopping 24 per kit to account for 6 per each wristrest) - 5 USD

This will likely be the final announcement regarding the project until the day the group buy goes live.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 April 2024, 19:17:51 by ai03 »