Author Topic: [IC] VE.A 2nd  (Read 188126 times)

Offline Little4Real

Re: [IC] VE.A 2nd
« Reply #600 on: Wed, 07 April 2021, 16:49:33 »
@Painmaster

Is it possible to get a DXF for the VE.A PCB?  If I can't get my hands on a 2nd VE.A, I would at least like to make a few more PCB+Plate combos for the one I currently have to have different switch combinations.  Happy to share the PCB files with you to support people who want to refurbish their gen1 VE.As.

THIS!!!  :eek: :thumb:

Gerber files for the VE.A v1 PCB would be greatly appreciated. I've had mine over the years, and would love to enjoy it for even longer without having to worry about the PCB eventually dying on me.

Offline homerowco

• Homerow.Co
« Reply #601 on: Thu, 08 April 2021, 18:24:56 »
ANY DAY NOW BOYS! ANY DAY! :)

Offline g_hack_it

« Reply #602 on: Thu, 08 April 2021, 20:57:47 »
Interested!

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #603 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 16:52:51 »
@Painmaster

Is it possible to get a DXF for the VE.A PCB?  If I can't get my hands on a 2nd VE.A, I would at least like to make a few more PCB+Plate combos for the one I currently have to have different switch combinations.  Happy to share the PCB files with you to support people who want to refurbish their gen1 VE.As.

Gerber files for the VE.A v1 PCB would be greatly appreciated. I've had mine over the years, and would love to enjoy it for even longer without having to worry about the PCB eventually dying on me.

I might just de-solder my VE.A to take measurements and do my best to make a replica.  If I make a replacement PCB, it'll likely be QMK powered since I don't know how to get bootmapper installed onto a board.  Any interest in a few spare PCBs?

Offline Little4Real

« Reply #604 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 17:10:27 »
I might just de-solder my VE.A to take measurements and do my best to make a replica.  If I make a replacement PCB, it'll likely be QMK powered since I don't know how to get bootmapper installed onto a board.  Any interest in a few spare PCBs?

I'm down to purchase a couple. Pretty sure there's quite a few people out there looking for replacement VE.A PCBs as well.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 April 2021, 17:13:24 by Little4Real »

Offline snarfel

« Reply #605 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 14:28:43 »
@Painmaster

I would also suggest making VIA compatible. Being able to update mappings on the fly w/o having to flash via a certain process is super nice for one of the keebs I have

Offline Tyson

« Reply #606 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 16:20:33 »
@Painmaster

I would also suggest making VIA compatible. Being able to update mappings on the fly w/o having to flash via a certain process is super nice for one of the keebs I have

MechMerlin has had a VE.A PCB for over a year now, the owner sent it to him for Merlin to Port to QMK and VIA, not too sure when Merlin will get around to it.

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #607 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 10:16:08 »
@Painmaster

MechMerlin has had a VE.A PCB for over a year now, the owner sent it to him for Merlin to Port to QMK and VIA, not too sure when Merlin will get around to it.

Oh daaaaaaaaaaamn.  That would certainly save all of us a bunch of time.  Does MechMerlin ever open-source the files?  I usually just order blank PCBs and solder things on myself.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #608 on: Tue, 20 April 2021, 13:52:19 »
@Painmaster

Oh daaaaaaaaaaamn.  That would certainly save all of us a bunch of time.  Does MechMerlin ever open-source the files?  I usually just order blank PCBs and solder things on myself.

If it's ported, it will be in the QMK repo and the Via layout repo.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline shensmobile

« Reply #609 on: Wed, 21 April 2021, 11:21:33 »
If it's ported, it will be in the QMK repo and the Via layout repo.

Well hot damn, it's up there.  Now I just need to get my hands on this PCB!

Edit: Damn, misunderstood.  Sounds like he just has a normal VE.A PCB, not a re-designed VE.A PCB that needed firmware.  He probably won't have the gerber files in that case.  Back to the drawing board!

Edit edit: Found the VE.A PCB DWG on the kbdlab forums.  Thank you Vermillion for posting them.  I'm going to slowly work on porting the design.  I will be using USB-C connectors where I can.  I just bought a used VE.A with a de-soldered PCB, I'll use that for verification of pinouts.  I'll make it as direct of a clone as possible to the original PCB.  Hopefully this preserves the capability to use Bootmapper if we want to (I'm not sure how to actually make the atmega compatible with bootmapper client though, can I just flash the .hex firmware that Vermillion made available?)
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 April 2021, 13:52:23 by shensmobile »

Offline keuhdall

« Reply #610 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 05:35:36 »
It's been almost 6 months since OP's last connection, at this point I just hope that nothing bad happened to him, but I'm starting to lose hope...
Does anyone in the community has news about this ?

Offline snarfel

« Reply #611 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 16:22:46 »
No news, but I've gotten my layout fix w/ Sinc v2. No community tenting kit for it yet TMK, but has nice QMK and Via support.

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #612 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 16:27:59 »
I ported the original VE.A PCB to QMK + VIA a couple of months ago.
It's under oddforge/vea in the repo.
If you want to DL from caniusevia.com you're looking for oddforge_vea_via.hex
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 June 2021, 16:34:02 by MajorKoos »

Offline strigif0rm3s

« Reply #613 on: Fri, 11 June 2021, 08:05:31 »
This is clearly not OP's priority, I've been waiting for a couple years for this board to come to fruition. I think it'll happen, just going to take a while. have patience..... :)

Offline dahun.kim@

« Reply #614 on: Fri, 11 June 2021, 14:37:28 »
I really want it… plz make it happen

Offline HappyB0T

• I'm a Piggie
« Reply #615 on: Wed, 30 June 2021, 21:56:29 »
Hi VE.A 2nd - looking good today! I was wondering if you would consider dropping by my place sometime so we can type it out.

Offline Engedi_

« Reply #616 on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 10:41:45 »
This is clearly not OP's priority, I've been waiting for a couple years for this board to come to fruition. I think it'll happen, just going to take a while. have patience..... :)

I'm just afraid when it does happen, how long we have to wait for it be delivered to your door. Hopefully it's not another Jane.

Offline strigif0rm3s

« Reply #617 on: Tue, 17 August 2021, 14:15:44 »
OP...........?!?! @PainMaster

Sent from my LIO-AL00 using Tapatalk

Offline rawrjau

• Stop making nice things so I can stop spending
« Reply #618 on: Sun, 12 September 2021, 00:49:37 »
Here's hoping there's still life to this project. Sorry for baiting your watched posts  :D

Offline strigif0rm3s

« Reply #619 on: Sun, 12 September 2021, 01:57:12 »
Here's hoping there's still life to this project. Sorry for baiting your watched posts  :D
https://c.tenor.com/6uKkbtEVcvsAAAAM/son-of-a-*****-chris-farley.gif

Sent from my LIO-AL00 using Tapatalk

Offline Engedi_

« Reply #620 on: Wed, 22 September 2021, 11:36:39 »
I bought like 4 keyboards while waiting for this.

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #621 on: Wed, 22 September 2021, 22:58:06 »
So? I've bought like 4 boards so far this month.

How many have you RECIEVED while waiting for this? That's the real measure.

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #622 on: Wed, 22 September 2021, 23:39:18 »
I have three.  Three VE.A keyboards :D

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #623 on: Wed, 22 September 2021, 23:50:51 »
i've not even looked at mine for over a year

Offline litster

« Reply #624 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 00:25:03 »
Typing on an VE.A right now.

Offline KMPLSV

« Reply #625 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 09:07:03 »
Is this still a thing?

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #626 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 09:24:04 »
This was my original endgame years ago. I think I’ll be holding SP-111 round 2 boards in my hands in 2023 while this still gets necro’ d every few months. Sad this doppleganger and kendo never made it.

Offline brln

« Reply #627 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 11:58:49 »
I have three.  Three VE.A keyboards :D

So how does your desk look like?

L3 L2 L1 R1 R2 R3
or
L1 R1 L2 R2 L3 R3 ?

If you ever wanted to be lifted of the "burden" of one hmu.
I still have hope :(

Offline litster

« Reply #628 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 12:26:01 »
like this:

Offline noahf

« Reply #629 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 12:39:26 »
This was my original endgame years ago. I think I’ll be holding SP-111 round 2 boards in my hands in 2023 while this still gets necro’ d every few months. Sad this doppleganger and kendo never made it.

who said doppleganger is dead?

« Reply #630 on: Thu, 23 September 2021, 16:29:38 »

who said doppleganger is dead?

the man himself! It lives?

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #631 on: Wed, 29 September 2021, 23:56:08 »

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #632 on: Thu, 30 September 2021, 08:07:36 »
Ahhh. These pics are making me really hope this runs.

Offline juusu

« Reply #633 on: Thu, 30 September 2021, 09:17:37 »
Where did you guys get those wooden tenting kits/wrist rests? I’d really love something like that for my Sinc

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #634 on: Thu, 30 September 2021, 10:33:20 »
Where did you guys get those wooden tenting kits/wrist rests? I’d really love something like that for my Sinc

they were a separate GB after the original
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

« Reply #635 on: Thu, 30 September 2021, 12:26:46 »

Puddsy or otherwise, do you know who made them?

Offline litster

« Reply #636 on: Thu, 30 September 2021, 12:58:06 »

« Reply #637 on: Thu, 30 September 2021, 13:12:57 »
Appreciate it. These were on r/mk back in late 2017 when I first began looking at keyboards and I’ve loved split boards since.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #638 on: Thu, 30 September 2021, 21:39:25 »

bendrexl ultimately made them. gb run by his friend alienman82. it was a cluster **** that nearly did not happen until people started issuing paypal disputes and getting refunds

not that those guys are around anymore, but i would not do anything with them again
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 September 2021, 21:47:42 by roostrc0gburn »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #639 on: Fri, 01 October 2021, 10:48:47 »

bendrexl ultimately made them. gb run by his friend alienman82. it was a cluster **** that nearly did not happen until people started issuing paypal disputes and getting refunds

not that those guys are around anymore, but i would not do anything with them again

ya i remember that debacle. was not good
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Engedi_

« Reply #640 on: Fri, 01 October 2021, 16:53:15 »
So? I've bought like 4 boards so far this month.

How many have you RECIEVED while waiting for this? That's the real measure.

Just one lol. Mr Suit. Still waiting for vega and others.
This was also one of my endgames.
I fear it will not happen...

Offline japancakes

« Reply #641 on: Fri, 22 October 2021, 17:52:14 »
At this rate, someone should just design a new split 75%+ with all the modern upgrades and we can move on.

Sat75 + F13 + gasket + Case/PE Foam weeeew lad. Wish I knew how to render or do any of this stuff.

Offline keuhdall

« Reply #642 on: Wed, 22 June 2022, 08:29:04 »
Bumping just in case someone knows what happens to OP ?
According to his last messages, things seemed to be coming along well with those USB-C prototypes, but no messages since, and it has been almost a year since OP's last connection.
With covid and everything going on since his last message I was hoping someone could tell us if he's doing good or not at least, and if he's willing to continue this project.

EDIT: Sorry for giving false hopes to those who like me have been expecting updates on this topic for quite some time now :(
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 June 2022, 08:31:39 by keuhdall »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #643 on: Wed, 22 June 2022, 14:06:48 »
Bumping just in case someone knows what happens to OP ?
According to his last messages, things seemed to be coming along well with those USB-C prototypes, but no messages since, and it has been almost a year since OP's last connection.
With covid and everything going on since his last message I was hoping someone could tell us if he's doing good or not at least, and if he's willing to continue this project.

EDIT: Sorry for giving false hopes to those who like me have been expecting updates on this topic for quite some time now :(

last i heard he is deep in the aether but there were a number of people working on this project, not just the OP

but the places i was looking for to get updates have been largely quiet

« Reply #644 on: Thu, 11 August 2022, 13:58:03 »
I'd give my left nut to see this go somewhere. My VE.A is aging and was my entry to this hobby and as such wasn't thoughtfully assembled. VEA with USB C and something instead of SATA for the link. Hell, even just if I could source a new PCB.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #645 on: Tue, 15 November 2022, 08:34:35 »
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 November 2022, 11:37:54 by alienman82 »