Author Topic: stopping backlight from bleeding through  (Read 2016 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
stopping backlight from bleeding through
« on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 01:35:05 »
I realize that some colors and LEDs will bleed through some caps more than others, but has anyone actually tried to coat the inside of a cap with something with the intent of keeping the backlight from coming through the cap at all? 

I was thinking of trying this with fingernail polish.  I am thinking to get the best lighting around the caps and not through the caps, one would want to use at least 2 layers.  First layer in black to block/absorb as much light as possible and then a layer or 2 of white on top of that to attempt to reflect as much as possible.

Thoughts or comments?

If anyone has any spare caps with a backlit board with fairly bright LEDs I would love to see some experiments.  The reason I am asking is because I like the look of backlighting around the caps but I don't want any coming through the cap.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Re: stopping backlight from bleeding through
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 15 February 2014, 07:30:07 »
Get a set of Cherry POM... there is NO CHANCE of bleed though. They are black, thick and very dense. The black PBT buy I am running should be suitable as well. Most Cherry doubleshot too... though not so much newer made light color. It is not so much a problem on thicker keycap. There is too much material to block the light and not get the paper lantern effect like most OEM profile or DCS.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 10:51:35 »
I realize that some colors and LEDs will bleed through some caps more than others, but has anyone actually tried to coat the inside of a cap with something with the intent of keeping the backlight from coming through the cap at all? 

I was thinking of trying this with fingernail polish.  I am thinking to get the best lighting around the caps and not through the caps, one would want to use at least 2 layers.  First layer in black to block/absorb as much light as possible and then a layer or 2 of white on top of that to attempt to reflect as much as possible.

Thoughts or comments?

If anyone has any spare caps with a backlit board with fairly bright LEDs I would love to see some experiments.  The reason I am asking is because I like the look of backlighting around the caps but I don't want any coming through the cap.

you can always fill the back of a key with epoxy putty, but your method of using nailpolish would work swimmingly.  Just remember there is not really a good pure WHITE nailpolish.  Depending on the thickness of your paint it may cause a bit of color to show through the top with a strong enough light...

Another option is to get some sort of metallic/reflective paint/finish, mask the outside and top of the cap, and apply it to the underside of the cap.  It would make backlighting turn into pure underglow.  Thoughts come to mind like adhering alu-foil to the underside of a key.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 11:04:01 »
Someone did and it worked very well. I can't seem to find it atm though, only sources mentioning it: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38536.msg747604#msg747604

A black covering paint should work well.

Edit: I think it might have been Lethal Squirrel or Jeci perhaps.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 February 2014, 11:09:10 by damorgue »

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 11:17:38 »
How about this "chrome" nail polish? A mirror finish should give maximum blocking and reflection...

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 13:09:36 »
How about this "chrome" nail polish? A mirror finish should give maximum blocking and reflection...

Nice idea there soulhunter.  I asked on Facebook where I might get some locally and one person suggested chrome model paint.  What do you guys think will work better?

And this will probably be used mostly on thin caps.  I will probably do a test run on the stick orbweaver caps.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 18:12:01 »
Well, I talked to a friend of mine that does a bit with small-ish scale models and he suggested chrome model paint from Testors.  He recommended against finger nail polish because after a year or so it will start falling off on its own.  The colors available are nice it just doesn't adhere that well.