Author Topic: Ergodox Keyboard Kit  (Read 106267 times)

Offline WRXChris

Re: Ergodox Keyboard Kit
« Reply #150 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 11:51:12 »
I'll definitely be ordering one in the next day or 2! I prefer the classic case to the full-hand, and probably will go with acrylic.  I really like being able to see the pcb and various components.. The alu looks nice though and if I wasn't a broke ski resort employee I would probably grab both cases!

Great to see this awesome project nearing completion, and I didn't mind registering for massdrop, especially considering how much work it saves for the gb organizer(s)!  I know you massdrop complainers are hardcore consumerist Americans, but you should think about someone other than yourselves from time to time! ;)

EDIT: Ordered classic + acrylic + keycaps!
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 January 2013, 19:52:02 by WRXChris »

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #151 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 11:58:44 »
Alu classic FTW! Now where to find/ make two mini wrist rests...

I think they did a great job with the new site in terms of at least being able to see a little more before registering.

Offline Larken

« Reply #153 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 05:38:40 »
never did like the 3m gel wrist rests. the height isn't exact. I'm planning to get the classic and try to chop up my grifiti block of neoprene to fit the bends exactly. my only problem is how to get a clean cut; never tried slicing neoprene before.
| Ergodox #1 | Ergodox #2 |

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline haskellelephant

• haskell is everywhere! What are we going to do?
« Reply #154 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 05:54:42 »
never did like the 3m gel wrist rests. the height isn't exact. I'm planning to get the classic and try to chop up my grifiti block of neoprene to fit the bends exactly. my only problem is how to get a clean cut; never tried slicing neoprene before.

I had the same idea. Don't know if it will work though. Please tell me how that works out!

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #155 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 10:49:07 »
X-Acto blades.  fresh un-used.   Don't try to cut the entire thickness in one shot.  You do it like a surgeon, one layer at a time.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #156 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 15:36:05 »
2 more needed and its $199 :D, i changed my order from 1 to 2.

i really want them NOW!

Offline regack

« Reply #157 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 15:38:31 »
i changed my order from 1 to 2.

quick! get 2 more more people to follow your lead! :D :D :D

Offline Larken

« Reply #158 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 22:05:49 »
X-Acto blades.  fresh un-used.   Don't try to cut the entire thickness in one shot.  You do it like a surgeon, one layer at a time.

problem is it seems to be one single layer :D but thanks for the advice, I'll try the X-actos and do it carefully.

Filco Majestouch Brown | Ducky 1087 Brown | Cherry G80-3494 Reds | Unicomp Ultra Classics | Cherry G80-8113 Clears |

Offline Glissant

« Reply #159 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 22:07:09 »
It has been done! Lowest tier reached :D

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
Re: Re: Ergodox Keyboard Kit
« Reply #160 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 22:10:53 »
It has been done! Lowest tier reached :D

Yessssss

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #161 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 22:12:06 »
problem is it seems to be one single layer :D but thanks for the advice, I'll try the X-actos and do it carefully.

Then call it a virtual layer, main point being that if you try to hack through the whole thing the compression will futz up your cut line.  Just cut through 1/16-1/8" of material at a time.  Bend the piece slightly at the cut line to spread it apart.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Cadrach

« Reply #162 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 23:53:42 »
I've been going back and forth between aluminum and acrylic.  How careful would a person need to be with the acrylic case?  Would it be fragile, or would I just need to avoid smashing it with hammers?  Would it become more brittle over time?

Thanks for any help people can provide;  I know basically nothing about plastics.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #163 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 00:12:50 »
I've been going back and forth between aluminum and acrylic.  How careful would a person need to be with the acrylic case?  Would it be fragile, or would I just need to avoid smashing it with hammers?  Would it become more brittle over time?

Thanks for any help people can provide;  I know basically nothing about plastics.
your smashing your ergodox with hammers?

Offline wasabah

« Reply #164 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 02:29:06 »

You don't? :P

I just had a quick chat with the Massdrop guys (Nelson, he assembled the two prototype keyboards).
The aluminium case really seems to have quite some weight. For transportation, the acrylic case is definitely more appropriate.

But he also said to look out for contact with other hard objects, because the acrylic case might get scratched.
He said the acrylic one had to be handled with more care, better in a case for transportation.

Also, the aluminium isn't that shiny, he said. And of course raw, so that there could be applied a finish.
("Anodizing, powdercoating, polished or brushed")
ErgoDox Classic | Logitech G400 | Logitech Marble | Logitech M570 | Logitech M235 | Logitech M305

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #165 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 02:38:05 »

You don't? :P

I just had a quick chat with the Massdrop guys (Nelson, he assembled the two prototype keyboards).
The aluminium case really seems to have quite some weight. For transportation, the acrylic case is definitely more appropriate.

But he also said to look out for contact with other hard objects, because the acrylic case might get scratched.
He said the acrylic one had to be handled with more care, better in a case for transportation.

Also, the aluminium isn't that shiny, he said. And of course raw, so that there could be applied a finish.
("Anodizing, powdercoating, polished or brushed")
my keyboards are treated with so much love and care its crazy.

Ive been trying to get them on chat but their never on when I am

I am getting mine anodized black with the middle layers of the right red and left blue to match the R and L logos on my MDR-V6's, I though they looked good.

Offline Glissant

« Reply #166 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 06:38:12 »
I might have gotten an alu case for it if I could anodize it easily too, but I'm lazy and sort of like to be able to see components through plastic. Makes me think of the laptop the main character in Hackers gets.
« Last Edit: Tue, 22 January 2013, 07:32:31 by Glissant »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #167 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 07:28:37 »
One of my favorite movies!

CEREAL
                    Whoa, whowhowhowhoa.
                                (motioning to Dade)
                    Crash...
                                (motioning to Kate)
                    and Burn!

Cereal breaks into hysterics.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
Re: Re: Ergodox Keyboard Kit
« Reply #168 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 07:36:50 »
One of my favorite movies!

CEREAL
                    Whoa, whowhowhowhoa.
                                (motioning to Dade)
                    Crash...
                                (motioning to Kate)
                    and Burn!

Cereal breaks into hysterics.
Hackers? Bahahaha one of my favorites also.

Offline haskellelephant

• haskell is everywhere! What are we going to do?
« Reply #169 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 08:03:11 »
I might have gotten an alu case for it if I could anodize it easily too, but I'm lazy and sort of like to be able to see components through plastic. Makes me think of the laptop the main character in Hackers gets.

I remember there being some really cool keyboards in that movie too, at least one of them split.

Found some discussion about it here: http://www.therpf.com/f9/hackers-1995-laptops-used-various-characters-84387/ . One person claims that the laptop is a clear mac powerbook:

« Last Edit: Tue, 22 January 2013, 08:06:41 by haskellelephant »

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #170 on: Tue, 22 January 2013, 08:20:35 »
I have always liked to be able to see the components inside my devices.

Side note, this is one crazy/awesome board!

Offline regack

« Reply #171 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 11:39:15 »
FYI, there are now separate group buys for :

Acrylic Case $80 - https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ergodox-case
Single PCB $22 - https://www.massdrop.com/buy/ergodox-pcb
10 plate-mount switches $5.90 - https://www.massdrop.com/buy/cherry-mx

Offline Permeability

« Reply #172 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 15:18:13 »
wooo lowest price point  :)
Keyboards:
'The Cheat' - lubed 62g Clears
Ducky Shine 3 TKL lubed 45g Reds (Work)

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #173 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 15:55:13 »
Tou can make the 3m better by microwaving them or like how I did it, accidently leaving them in front of my heater. They got a lot softer and the heat made it mold to my hand.

Are ergoDox switch switchable without desoldering?
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 January 2013, 16:01:48 by TheQsanity »
SmallFry! <3

Offline DanGWanG

• Higher Standards
    • DanGWanG's Keyboard Blog
« Reply #174 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 16:09:48 »
So they're doing a blank PBT set from SP for it?

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #175 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 16:23:43 »
So they're doing a blank PBT set from SP for it?

Yup.  Black, blank PBTS.  DSA profile.

There was a comment on the MD page, that they would potentially run another keycap GB after this one completed.  It would be black blank PBTs, as well, just in the DCS profile.
| HHKB Pro 2 | Leopold FC660C
| Poker.PANDAclears | ErgoDox (62g Black)

Offline bisl

« Reply #176 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 16:46:06 »
DSA might be ok for fingers, but I can't imagine using them for the thumb clusters. The only thing that seems sensible to me is DCS rows 2, 1, 5 from front to back, so that you're not trying to reach over the front keys as much to hit the ones in back.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #177 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 19:06:08 »
Yes, due mainly to the phantom-like plate design.

I still need to order mine.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #178 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 20:34:11 »
I just noticed this on the ergodox MD page,

We’ll do everything possible to make the fulfillment go quickly. However, there is a global shortage of Cherry MX switches right now and as such, it might take a significant amount of time to receive all the switches in our order. Those customers who ordered first will be given priority in the case of a shortage.

i either didnt see it or they added it, either way its noteworthy

I personally am not getting any switches and ordered early, but i'm wondering how much of a delay some people will be receiving their ergodox due to switches. april? :(

i really hoping this ships in February, mid February even better but i doubt it lol, i would hate to have to wait another month for this, its killing me.

Offline wasabah

« Reply #179 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 20:39:31 »
Yeah, that's one reason more for me to get the switches separately.
ErgoDox Classic | Logitech G400 | Logitech Marble | Logitech M570 | Logitech M235 | Logitech M305

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #180 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 20:43:15 »
and then yiou can hunt down some PCB mount ones

Offline wasabah

« Reply #181 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 20:47:33 »
Just ordered my second ErgoDox!  ;D
Both without switches, acrylic case. One full hand, one classic.

The switches I will probably get from 7bit (Edit: @TheProfosist: exactly, PCB mounted! :) ). This weekend I will head to Akihabara to test out the different switches and decide which one I like the most! :)

I also ordered one set of the key caps. The second one will either be the blank DCS caps (if Massdrop makes another group buy) or printed ones.
Not sure yet.

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #182 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 20:56:06 »
Wish we had a store available to try out different switches around here.  I bought most of my boards based on what I read, and then all my friends/co-workers got to reap the benefits from me, before they bought anything.

MD seems like they want to run another cap run for DCS, but I don't think they want to thin out the current GB numbers.  So they're waiting until this cap run is finished.

And I went switchless on both of my orders, too.  Going to pick up some switches from Profosist for one kit.  My other kit is probably going to be unbuilt for awhile.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #183 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 20:59:24 »
and then yiou can hunt down some PCB mount ones

yeah i want the plate/pcb mount combo too :)

If your doing the parts group buy for the GH60 Prof, i hope you'll have PCB switches in all colors :)

I have some loose black PCB switches but that's not enough for 2 ergo-dox. i may end up ripping them off my RACE,  taking the white sliders out(i dislike whites really) and putting the brown or red sliders i have from another keyboard in one of the ergodox. and hope a pcb switch group buy comes up for the other one. might as well lube them then since i'm tearing them all apart.

Offline wasabah

« Reply #184 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 21:00:13 »
Yeah, actually I'm quite happy that I have the possibility. In April I will go back to Germany, and I think there I also wouldn't have any opportunities to check out the switches.

I will probably also build only one keyboard at first (full hand). If I like it, I will probably sell the classic one. If not, I will try the classis one too.

Offline wiredPANDA

« Reply #185 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 21:04:55 »
I will probably also build only one keyboard at first (full hand). If I like it, I will probably sell the classic one. If not, I will try the classis one too.

That's exactly what I'm doing, but in reverse.  I'm starting with the classic case - with the full hand on standby.

Offline wasabah

« Reply #186 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 21:11:34 »

That's exactly what I'm doing, but in reverse.  I'm starting with the classic case - with the full hand on standby.

Hehe, I guess the aftermarket will thrive! :D

Offline Dreyer

« Reply #187 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 21:21:36 »
I just sent a e-mail to Massdrop, and it seems that they are estimating to delivery it between 3 to 6 weeks, starting on February 1st.

Quite a shame since I will be leaving US  on 23 of the following month, and probably will  the time window.

Still thinking if I will ask then to send it to Brazil and risk to pay 60% in custom taxes...

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #188 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 21:53:10 »
Yes, due mainly to the phantom-like plate design.

I still need to order mine.

Thanks. Yeah, 4 days left and a lot of hype. I might end up getting one or two.
SmallFry! <3

Offline sordna

« Reply #189 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 22:54:47 »
How does one order 2 keyboards with different cases? When I select 2 in quantity, the form doesn't allow choosing a different case for each.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Larken

« Reply #190 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 22:55:44 »
update your current order back to one, and click join groupbuy again. you'd get to fill out the details for the second board.

Offline inaneframe

« Reply #191 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 00:22:30 »
I have a question.  I am in on this group buy already but I want to try one and then, if I like it, pick up another two in the next group buy.  Do you think there will be another group buy after this one?

Offline mikelanding

« Reply #192 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 00:32:36 »
How does one order 2 keyboards with different cases? When I select 2 in quantity, the form doesn't allow choosing a different case for each.
I asked this question to Massdrop Will. He told me to order 1 pc at a time. Then you can customise each to your liking. I did that to my orders (2 complete kits)
HHKB Type-S | Kinesis Advantage | Maltron 3D 2Hand | Ergodox (62g ErgoClear)

Offline sordna

« Reply #193 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 00:56:07 »
Thanks Larken and mikelanding.

@inaneframe: There probably will be another group buy, but it might be more expensive if it doesn't find many buyers next time around. You could buy 2-3 now, and sell if you don't like it. Or you could buy one, and add extra PCBs for safekeeping (saving some money) since the other components can be more easily found so you can build more keyboards down the road even if another group buy doesn't happen. I'm kind of debating the same thing here, buy 1, or maybe 2, or maybe 1 + extra PCBs.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline bisl

« Reply #194 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 01:50:18 »
I have a question.  I am in on this group buy already but I want to try one and then, if I like it, pick up another two in the next group buy.  Do you think there will be another group buy after this one?

I believe they'll roll another one if they can get 50 units.

Offline regack

« Reply #195 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 10:02:14 »

I believe they'll roll another one if they can get 50 units.

Aside from Massdrop, I got the impression that someome might run a group buy at some point in the future at Deskthority, but it might be a while. 

Offline sordna

« Reply #196 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 10:31:45 »
Let's say someone wants to build a keyboard after group buys are over. How would one order PCBs? What's the company that makes the PCBs, and what is file/design would one need to give them, in order to make it? (any pointers appreciated). And what's the cost to make just 2 PCBs ?

Offline bisl

« Reply #197 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 11:11:09 »
I think bpiphany was going to give the files out after the GB happened, to ensure that a GB happened. I guess maybe PM him?

Offline sordna

« Reply #198 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 11:28:13 »
Ideally all needed files/pointers should go to ergodox.org  .... we need a way for anyone, any time in the future, to be able to give a file to a PCB company and another file to a machine shop, and get PCBs and cases easily (even though it will be expensive).

Offline Dreadwyrm

• typemaster wannabe
« Reply #199 on: Thu, 24 January 2013, 11:58:36 »
Ideally all needed files/pointers should go to ergodox.org  .... we need a way for anyone, any time in the future, to be able to give a file to a PCB company and another file to a machine shop, and get PCBs and cases easily (even though it will be expensive).
Why would it be? Shouldn't you be able to get it printed at a local tech university for almost no cost at all? It costs around 15$ to do one side here.

Das Model S Ultimate