Author Topic: [GB] The Galaxy Class set (Ordering CLOSED)  (Read 108386 times)

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: [GB] The Galaxy Class set (Taking orders!)
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 06:39:31 »
Granite had the extra homing key option and it was very cheap. I think you should consider adding that as a child buy here. [copies from pmk]

EDIT. I WAS THINKING OF THE DOLCE SET
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 May 2014, 10:41:21 by tigersharkdude »

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 06:47:18 »
It was the Dolch DSA the GB with the problems not the Granite  >:D. The Granite is a GB hosted on SP PMK site and organized by matt3o.
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 06:57:35 »

AFAIK the Granite DSA set was not your normal group buy, where it takes a set amount of orders to put it in production. SP had already created the Granite sets and the the group buy leader took the money and ran off, thus leaving SP and the buyers hanging. So it seems that SP sold the Granite set cheaper simply to make their money back.

SAY WHAT......?!?!?!?!

I thought we could trust SP to do the respectable thing but now you're saying they took our money and are now going to re-sell all our paid for goods, to other strangers on the net?

Gawd damn, this place has either changed completely to RIP-OFF central or something has gone wrong somewhere.  Looks like a visit to Paypal to see what can be done now.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 May 2014, 06:59:56 by Elrick »

Offline jdeblese

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 07:06:04 »

SAY WHAT......?!?!?!?!

I thought we could trust SP to do the respectable thing but now you're saying they took our money and are now going to re-sell all our paid for goods, to other strangers on the net?

Gawd damn, this place has either changed completely to RIP-OFF central or something has gone wrong somewhere.  Looks like a visit to Paypal to see what can be done now.

Don't worry, Elrick, Tigersharkdude has two different sets mixed up. See DanielT's post above yours, and go check PMK for the evidence.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 07:08:31 »
Chill dude ;) . Granite is OK  :cool:

Now back on-topic. This GB is so cool, I'm waiting for my paycheck to place the order. I hope people will order and at least the first tier will be reached. Having "Engage" on my keyboard....priceless  :cool:
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 May 2014, 07:14:14 by DanielT »
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 08:40:27 »
Chill dude ;) . Granite is OK  8)

Thanks G.  Got me worried for nutting  8) .

Offline jdeblese

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 08:50:02 »
I'm a little ambivalent about the asymmetric layout as well, but I really like the color scheme. Maybe I'll get some of the smaller kits, to use in combination with others.

You mention tiers for the ISO kit above, but on the PMK site there are no tiers given for ISO. Just a glitch?

Offline taylordcraig

• New Keyboard Enthusiast [needs to learn to solder]
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 10:03:53 »
Granite had the extra homing key option and it was very cheap. I think you should consider adding that as a child buy here. [copies from pmk]

AFAIK the Granite DSA set was not your normal group buy, where it takes a set amount of orders to put it in production. SP had already created the Granite sets and the the group buy leader took the money and ran off, thus leaving SP and the buyers hanging. So it seems that SP sold the Granite set cheaper simply to make their money back. I may be talking out of my "butt" but to me this seems to be what happened

Lol, that misinformation. People have already corrected it I guess but I havnen't seen the full information as posted by SP.
Mat30 never ran with our cash.
That was the Dolch DSA [in ABS plastic, not PBT and totally different colors]
and they only ever mentioned that on their PMK website.
SP produced the set before collecting money for the order on the Dolch DSA.
That's why they have it up on their website. Nothing to do with granite.

Any ways, nice little derail. It would be cheap to add extra homing keys to this set. Please consider it.

Also, dear everyone, the price tiers are hardly a break on this set, if you plan on buying it later to save $20, you're an idiot.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 10:12:14 »
Also, dear everyone, the price tiers are hardly a break on this set, if you plan on buying it later to save $20, you're an idiot.

New marketing technique... tell people they are idiots, and they will buy more sets!

And I have a feeling I should be thankful I turned off the viewing of others' signatures before this GB started.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 10:15:44 »
It was the Dolch DSA the GB with the problems not the Granite  >:D. The Granite is a GB hosted on SP PMK site and organized by matt3o.

brain fart moment. For some reason I was thinking they were the same

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 10:17:57 »

Don't worry, Elrick, Tigersharkdude has two different sets mixed up. See DanielT's post above yours, and go check PMK for the evidence.

What he said. for some reason I was thinking the granite set was the one that SP had group buy issue with .... it was the Dolch set

Lol, that misinformation. People have already corrected it I guess but I havnen't seen the full information as posted by SP.
Mat30 never ran with our cash.
That was the Dolch DSA [in ABS plastic, not PBT and totally different colors]
and they only ever mentioned that on their PMK website.

SP produced the set before collecting money for the order on the Dolch DSA.
That's why they have it up on their website. Nothing to do with granite.

Any ways, nice little derail. It would be cheap to add extra homing keys to this set. Please consider it.

Misinformation was not on purpose. I mistook and thought the Granite set and Dolch set were the same, so don't let it rustle your jimmies because it was not on purpose.
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 May 2014, 10:51:35 by tigersharkdude »

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 10:20:13 »

New marketing technique... tell people they are idiots, and they will buy more sets!

New marketing technique: if $5 is the difference between them buying or not, they probably weren't going to buy.

edit: @ tigershark: your edit was probably totally not needed [so many quotes].
I thought it was mostly cleared up but wanted to throw out some big letters to counter Elrick's big red letters.
No jimmies were rustled.

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 13:10:17 »
I'm a little ambivalent about the asymmetric layout as well, but I really like the color scheme. Maybe I'll get some of the smaller kits, to use in combination with others.

You mention tiers for the ISO kit above, but on the PMK site there are no tiers given for ISO. Just a glitch?

That would appear to be a glitch, yes. I'll email the PMK folks about it. The tiers will be as I posted them in the final buy.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 13:19:35 »

I have emailed SP about this possibility. I was thinking we could either add non-bump F and J keys to the small Battle Bridge set of add-ons at no additional cost, or create a new child deal with very low minimum just for those two keys. It may be too late, and I don't know what the (not terribly flexible) PMK system can accommodate, but I'll let you know. Sorry I didn't think of this earlier, but nobody mentioned this as an issue in the IC thread, and I don't use an alternate layout so the issue never occurred to me.

I am also going to see about lowering the minimum on the Ergodox set, as at this rate it is in serious danger of not being made (assuming at we even hit the tipping point for the Core set, which is by no means yet certain).

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 13:22:52 »
I said it in reply #2 but I'll say it again, I like this and will make sure it is tipped.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 13:33:06 »
I said it in reply #2 but I'll say it again, I like this and will make sure it is tipped.

Sorry I didn't reply to this before (was a bit overwhelmed dealing with the registration problems at the time), but THANK YOU! :D

Offline i3oilermaker

• * Vendor
  • techkeys.us
    • TechKeys
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 13:37:27 »
Now the Ergodox layout, I can not make any promises.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 14:14:07 »
Now the Ergodox layout, I can not make any promises.

Understood completely; that would be asking quite a lot!

FWIW, I am actually currently exploring with SP reducing the minimum to 25 on the Ergodox set, if they're willing. The main trouble is that there are already 3 orders, and those folks would be paying more than expected if we did that. If technically feasible, we could probably reset those orders and email the individuals involved. I'll provide an update when we figure out what's possible.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 14:17:39 »

Done! :D Low minimum of 5, flat rate price of $3.

http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/f-and-j-keys-without-homing-bump/

Offline norbauer

« Reply #69 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 14:29:26 »
I should be in for one as well for the ergodox set, my only issue is that I am closing on a house soon so I will have a new address to deal with :).

The ergodox set includes all the keys pictured and not just the modifiers, right? Some of the other group buys on there made it seem like you only got the modifier keys (and they seemed expensive too for what you got...).

Yes, all the keys pictured in that child deal are included in the Ergodox set. It should be enough to cover a full board (though somebody let me know if this is not the case; I don't own an Ergodox board myself.)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #70 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 14:32:11 »
I would 100% order a set for the ErgoDox I'm building but I have one major problem with the set. The rightmost legended column being 141C Pantone instead of BFE would drive me nuts. That asymmetry would bug me enough I could not use the set. I think it would have looked much better if all the alpha keys were BFE and the entire top row be 141C (including the two 1.5 mods). I know you probably cant change it now but I just wanted to throw my opinion out there.

I see where you're coming from, but bear in mind that the goal of this set was to invoke the feel of the LCARS designs and not just to be inherently appealing as a set unto itself. This kind of right-angle half-arch in yellow was very characteristic of LCARS designs. It was the only way in the Ergodox layout that we could reasonably evoke it (I tried many different permutations). I do agree that on the ANSI layout, this is achieved more successfully, FWIW.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 14:35:45 »
Just ordered The Battle Bridge Set. Couldn't resist the Geek Hack key.  :))

Offline norbauer

« Reply #72 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 14:39:33 »
Just ordered The Battle Bridge Set. Couldn't resist the Geek Hack key.  :))

Awesome. That one is definitely my favorite of the whole set too!

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #73 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 17:47:58 »

I have emailed SP about this possibility. I was thinking we could either add non-bump F and J keys to the small Battle Bridge set of add-ons at no additional cost, or create a new child deal with very low minimum just for those two keys. It may be too late, and I don't know what the (not terribly flexible) PMK system can accommodate, but I'll let you know. Sorry I didn't think of this earlier, but nobody mentioned this as an issue in the IC thread, and I don't use an alternate layout so the issue never occurred to me.

I am also going to see about lowering the minimum on the Ergodox set, as at this rate it is in serious danger of not being made (assuming at we even hit the tipping point for the Core set, which is by no means yet certain).

consider adding the letters required for dvorak and colemak WITH homing bumps, to replace the F and J.  [ill buy both either way]

http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/granite-extra-homing-keys/

Offline norbauer

« Reply #74 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 17:54:37 »
FWIW, I am actually currently exploring with SP reducing the minimum to 25 on the Ergodox set, if they're willing. The main trouble is that there are already 3 orders, and those folks would be paying more than expected if we did that. If technically feasible, we could probably reset those orders and email the individuals involved. I'll provide an update when we figure out what's possible.

Looks like it' a no-go on this option. We still have plenty of time left though; hopefully enough people will order ErgoDox in time. If not, we'll see what we can do in a follow-up deal with a lower MOQ.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 18:08:10 »

consider adding the letters required for dvorak and colemak WITH homing bumps, to replace the F and J.  [ill buy both either way]

http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/granite-extra-homing-keys/

I'm working on this. What's the deal with the up arrow on the right? Is there a layout that uses an up arrow in the homing position?

Offline Mercury7

« Reply #76 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 10:14:01 »
Two Questions: likelihood of a num pad with numbers instead of the design or what about a set similar to the lost and found the granite set came with(different colors to mix and match)? Is it too late for anything like this?
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 May 2014, 10:35:30 by Mercury7 »

Offline norbauer

« Reply #77 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 12:15:22 »
Two Questions: likelihood of a num pad with numbers instead of the design

Sorry, 0% for this round. =\

what about a set similar to the lost and found the granite set came with(different colors to mix and match)?

Something like this is coming early next week. We're adding a few small child deals with 1u blanks in selected colors—mainly for people who have gamer add-on boards with 1u keys like the Corsair K95, so they can cover their full board without breaking the color scheme.

Offline Mercury7

« Reply #78 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 12:20:20 »
Two Questions: likelihood of a num pad with numbers instead of the design

Sorry, 0% for this round. =\

what about a set similar to the lost and found the granite set came with(different colors to mix and match)?

Something like this is coming early next week. We're adding a few small child deals with 1u blanks in selected colors—mainly for people who have gamer add-on boards with 1u keys like the Corsair K95, so they can cover their full board without breaking the color scheme.

Sounds good!

Offline norbauer

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 12:20:35 »
How does this work for an extra homing keys set for DVORAK, COLEMAK folks? If somebody can verify for me that this makes sense, I believe I can get this child deal live early next week.

(Deep dish breaks the rounded-rectangles visual consistency the LCARS theme, so we're using homing bump here and deep dish only in the middle of the nav wheel on the numpad.)

Offline taylordcraig

« Reply #80 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 14:48:16 »
I think it's a hat ^. But I couldn't find a layout that used it, no. Haha. Thanks for adding though.

Offline jdeblese

« Reply #82 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 22:20:52 »
Cool, score for the blanks, I can use a few. :thumb:

Any chance you'll also add the other colors? I'll tip purple by myself need-be: purple PBT DSA never seems to be in inventory on SP's site. :D

Offline animaliaparadoxa

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 19 May 2014, 22:51:52 »
Has anybody promoted this GB on the Star Trek subreddit? JUST SAYIN

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 12:10:00 »
The numpad set just cost me $180 >:( …….. LOL

I wanted it so much that I am in the process of ordering a Ducky Shine 3 to replace my QFR

Offline norbauer

« Reply #85 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 12:19:30 »

I did, but it didn't get much traction.

http://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/25km87/fanorganized_group_buy_for_an_lcarsinspired/

If you can think of any other ways of promoting this to our community of fellow trek nerds, it would be most appreciated. :)

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #86 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 13:36:49 »

http://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/25km87/fanorganized_group_buy_for_an_lcarsinspired/

If you can think of any other ways of promoting this to our community of fellow trek nerds, it would be most appreciated. :)

I'm going to try posting it to the Gaming section of trekbbs.com -- it seems the most logical place, and reference here and PMK. Hopefully that will help.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline norbauer

« Reply #87 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 13:38:11 »

I'm going to try posting it to the Gaming section of trekbbs.com -- it seems the most logical place, and reference here and PMK. Hopefully that will help.

Great idea; thanks!

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 13:46:09 »

Those reddit Trekkies... such mechanical keyboard amateurs...
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline norbauer

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 14:00:39 »

srsly. Stone knives and bearskins over there.

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #90 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 14:03:06 »

srsly. Stone knives and bearskins over there.

Show Image

Man, just look at all those pristine 6AS7G tubes!  Beautiful!

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #91 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 14:05:33 »
Well, I made an account at trekbbs.com -- but they explicitly ask that you not create an account and then immediately push a product (which is precisely my reason for joining) so I emailed the admins. Here are the emails, if others want to start a drumbeat:

news@trektoday.com
articles@treknation.com
christian@trektoday.com

And... I emailed, this guy: tbonz@trekbbs.com

I did my level best not to sound like I was selling oxycontin.  :thumb:
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 14:10:44 »
... but, steering clear of some other Star Trek related sites...   :-X
More

Offline HID45

« Reply #93 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 16:22:46 »
Any chance for Nordic/German child set? I'm loving the set, but I need to have those Å Ä Æ Ö Ø 's

Offline norbauer

« Reply #94 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 16:28:01 »
Any chance for Nordic/German child set? I'm loving the set, but I need to have those Å Ä Æ Ö Ø 's

Sorry, not this time around, but this is an open design and I'm happy to make the source files available for future rounds. If the first round is successful I'm sure SP would be happy to run this group buy again with an expanded set of add-ons.

Offline animaliaparadoxa

« Reply #95 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 16:30:39 »
I tried reddit as well but all I got was some dweeb criticising the term "mechanical keyboard". http://www.reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/2605iu/galaxy_class_lcars_keyboard/

Offline animaliaparadoxa

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 16:39:10 »
... but, steering clear of some other Star Trek related sites...   :-X

I'm not sure Kirk/Spock types would be interested any way.

[Edit] TNG slashers though...
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 May 2014, 16:49:21 by animaliaparadoxa »

Offline soymic

« Reply #97 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 11:42:15 »
Definitely in, but why is the tsangan kit so expensive? :eek:
Really worried if we can hit the MOQ sitting on this price.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 11:45:43 »
Definitely in, but why is the tsangan kit so expensive? :eek:
Really worried if we can hit the MOQ sitting on this price.

I'm not really sure about that one. I think it might be the difficulty of making 7u spacebars in PBT. I know that Topre won't do spacebars in PBT, purportedly because plastic shrinkage on so wide a key makes the manufacturing tolerances problematic using PBT instead of ABS. Maybe there are simply more rejects when they make PBT spacebars, which raises the overall cost—just a guess. =\

Offline chibishin

• sittin around all day listening to classical music
« Reply #99 on: Thu, 22 May 2014, 08:42:00 »
In for a full set. Hoping sliders come down in price for my Topre, otherwise looks like this will go to a new build, assuming it tips.