Author Topic: [IC] Hubble Mira Custom TKL (GB is 3... 2... 1... launched!)  (Read 579307 times)

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
Re: [IC] Hubble Mira Custom TKL With b.Mira PCB
« Reply #350 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 14:17:30 »
Perhaps a silly question but would it be possible to have a test piece of just the cutout in something like black acrylic (to mimic the aluminum) + frosted acrylic (to serve as our insert)?
You would get a much better idea of the limitations of the machinery and give people something to discuss.
Perhaps it doesn't even look half bad. :)

And that should not be that expensive. Perhaps $50 or so? Hell, I'd even be willing to throw DrHubblePhD a couple of dollars to get it made and have him shoot some pictures of it.

Edit:
I just pulled out my book on materials and cutting and I can see how it might be very difficult to cut these areas to the desired exactness with round bits.
Show Image

You could probably do it by lasercutting (provided it's less than 20mm thick) but the anodizing could make it difficult to design the inserts to make them fit...
Would the materials of our resident capmakers provide an option? As in fill it up with liquid?

EDIT2:
Can you show us what the underside of the insert currently looks like? It doesn't have to be as thick as the rest of the top plate does it? Would that make it easier for your machine guy?

I thought about all this too. Thinning that area so it doesn't have to be as deep, and you could even use EDM instead of milling or laser cutting. But it's still a whole separate setup/operation which adds a ton of cost. I thought about casting in-place with resin instead of an acrylic cutout. But resins are all polyester-based, not acrylic, which means they don't transmit light as well.

Unfortunately, I just don't think there's a good way to make this happen and still have this be an affordable board.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #351 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 14:32:55 »
Perhaps a silly question but would it be possible to have a test piece of just the cutout in something like black acrylic (to mimic the aluminum) + frosted acrylic (to serve as our insert)?
You would get a much better idea of the limitations of the machinery and give people something to discuss.
Perhaps it doesn't even look half bad. :)

And that should not be that expensive. Perhaps $50 or so? Hell, I'd even be willing to throw DrHubblePhD a couple of dollars to get it made and have him shoot some pictures of it.

Edit:
I just pulled out my book on materials and cutting and I can see how it might be very difficult to cut these areas to the desired exactness with round bits.
Show Image

You could probably do it by lasercutting (provided it's less than 20mm thick) but the anodizing could make it difficult to design the inserts to make them fit...
Would the materials of our resident capmakers provide an option? As in fill it up with liquid?

EDIT2:
Can you show us what the underside of the insert currently looks like? It doesn't have to be as thick as the rest of the top plate does it? Would that make it easier for your machine guy?

I thought about all this too. Thinning that area so it doesn't have to be as deep, and you could even use EDM instead of milling or laser cutting. But it's still a whole separate setup/operation which adds a ton of cost. I thought about casting in-place with resin instead of an acrylic cutout. But resins are all polyester-based, not acrylic, which means they don't transmit light as well.

Unfortunately, I just don't think there's a good way to make this happen and still have this be an affordable board.
:(
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #352 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 16:39:56 »
Here's whats up boys...

The cost of the Mira will likely be above a bit above $400 for the full package. This includes: the full alu case, a custom engraved SS weight, a SS plate, gold stabs, and the b.mira pcb with controller pre soldered. That said we are working on options that allow for a lower price and make it more accessible to more people.

Here is the important part. Why the cost is what it is. And most importantly why you should buy a Mira:

• The design is an obviously difficult one to mill since it utilizes curves on many surfaces, something that makes this board unique but costly.
  • It will be completely produced in America, from design to manufacturing. You will be supporting a project that brings design and innovation back to our community instead of relying on other communities to do the dirty work. This of course is not cheep, and manufacturing costs will always be higher here than what can be found overseas.
  • This board still has a great range of features, even without the insert that will make it a truly unique piece of hardware for your desk. It has a truly unique side profile, a custom engraved weight, a custom pcb with full back lighting support, and don't forget about those gold stabs that will ship as part of the package!
  • We are still working hard to provide you as many options for anodization as possible, even a potential for a custom option where you can choose anything you would like!

Remember also that shipping from me to the rest of the US will be considerably cheaper than shipping for other kustoms. So factor that into what you plan on spending.

I hope with some of this information you will support this project when the GB starts. Since the Orion GB has started, I will allow adequate time for your wallets to recover as I acquire a prototype. I am looking into options for alternate plate materials such as polycarbonate that as an option for the buy could bring the mark below $400. In the meantime, continue to voice your support and with your help we can make this the first all out GeekHack custom!
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 April 2015, 17:36:44 by DrHubblePhD »

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #353 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 17:39:45 »
Here's whats up boys...

The cost of the Mira will likely be above a bit above $400 for the full package. This includes: the full alu case, a custom engraved SS weight, a SS plate, gold stabs, and the b.mira pcb with controller pre soldered. That said we are working on options that allow for a lower price and make it more accessible to more people.

Here is the important part. Why the cost is what it is. And most importantly why you should buy a Mira:

• The design is an obviously difficult one to mill since it utilizes curves on many surfaces, something that makes this board unique but costly.
  • It will be completely produced in America, from design to manufacturing. You will be supporting a project that brings design and innovation back to our community instead of relying on other communities to do the dirty work. This of course is not cheep, and manufacturing costs will always be higher here than what can be found overseas.
  • This board still has a great range of features, even without the insert that will make it a truly unique piece of hardware for your desk. It has a truly unique side profile, a custom engraved weight, a custom pcb with full back lighting support, and don't forget about those gold stabs that will ship as part of the package!
  • We are still working hard to provide you as many options for anodization as possible, even a potential for a custom option where you can choose anything you would like!

Remember also that shipping from me to the rest of the US will be considerably cheaper than shipping for other kustoms. So factor that into what you plan on spending.

I hope with some of this information you will support this project when the GB starts. Since the Orion GB has started, I will allow adequate time for your wallets to recover as I acquire a prototype. I am looking into options for alternate plate materials such as polycarbonate that as an option for the buy could bring the mark below $400. In the meantime, continue to voice your support and with your help we can make this the first all out GeekHack custom!

Well I'm sold for sure.  :cool:

Offline Zeroo

« Reply #354 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 18:01:42 »
IF I can afford it when it's being released, I'll most definitely get one, love the look of the case :)

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #355 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 18:12:27 »
Here's whats up boys...

I'm sold on this as well! Having a glorious all-American keyboard is really such a treat.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #356 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 20:11:05 »
Will it be split right shift compatible?

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #357 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 20:13:56 »
Will it be split right shift compatible?

yup

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'

Offline Data

« Reply #359 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 22:32:40 »
North of $400?  Really?

I thought we were shooting for a keyboard considerably cheaper than the Orion V2.  That's not cheaper at all.  This makes the decision much harder for me.  Disappointing...

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #360 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 22:35:31 »
North of $400?  Really?

I thought we were shooting for a keyboard considerably cheaper than the Orion V2.  That's not cheaper at all.  This makes the decision much harder for me.  Disappointing...

Well im sorry that your disappointing, so am I, no need to be rude.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #361 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 22:45:26 »
North of $400?  Really?

IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #362 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 22:46:47 »
Because custom boards with curves made in America are going to be sub 400.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline ATXTider

• I keep it playa while some choose to play it safe
« Reply #363 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 22:47:33 »
North of $400?  Really?

u must not love 'murica then...

Offline Data

« Reply #364 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 22:53:43 »
North of $400?  Really?

u must not love 'murica then...

That's what makes it so hard.  :'(

Edit: Elton is helping make the decision for me.  He just closed orders on Orion V2 after less than 13 hours.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 April 2015, 22:58:17 by Data »

Offline Alex92

« Reply #365 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 23:23:35 »
I'm not quite sure what the expectations for the price were. $400 was my estimate for what this was going to cost from the start, and it would have been surprising to me if it had cost less. Great update!  :thumb:

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #366 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 23:26:05 »
Any possibility of a cheaper option with a simpler case? After this one is done I suppose :)

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #367 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 23:27:19 »
Any possibility of a cheaper option with a simpler case? After this one is done I suppose :)

Well as I said, if you opt for a polycarb plate the cost will likely be under $400. I dont plan to do another tkl for a while after this, however I have some other projects in the pipe that you might enjoy!

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #368 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 23:27:24 »
I ask this not as a potential customer, but as someone who really wants to see the original concept realized as it was designed.  How feasible would it be to cast the top of the case with the Mira logo extending the full thickness of the material to allow for the original acrylic insert? 

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #369 on: Sat, 11 April 2015, 23:36:34 »

Well as I said, if you opt for a polycarb plate the cost will likely be under $400. I dont plan to do another tkl for a while after this, however I have some other projects in the pipe that you might enjoy!

I look forward to seeing what else you have coming up, but I really just want a simple TKL keyboard that is solid and not $5000000000000000.. everyone makes 60% boards >_<

Offline HTN47

• Mr. SoCal
« Reply #370 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 03:46:28 »
how about this, since it's impossible to cater to the majority and keep the prices low, we go all out! Cater to the few! Original design, brass weights at the bottom with some sort of NASA engraving on it, then a small cutout for a circular insert on the side (also brass) with the # engraving on it. The price will be expensive and only a few will have access to them, put limit at 57 orders. In a few years, this will be like the GeekHack version of the 356cl with market value of $3000.00  :p
What is love.... Baby don't hurt me... No more!!

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #371 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 11:07:28 »
That sounds like a really cool keyboard

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #372 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 19:43:41 »

I look forward to seeing what else you have coming up, but I really just want a simple TKL keyboard that is solid and not $5000000000000000.. everyone makes 60% boards >_<

Well I have no plans of making anything "simple," synonymous with boring  :p I think that what the market needs is something new not more Kmac rehashes  ^-^

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #373 on: Sun, 12 April 2015, 19:47:29 »
how about this, since it's impossible to cater to the majority and keep the prices low, we go all out! Cater to the few! Original design, brass weights at the bottom with some sort of NASA engraving on it, then a small cutout for a circular insert on the side (also brass) with the # engraving on it. The price will be expensive and only a few will have access to them, put limit at 57 orders. In a few years, this will be like the GeekHack version of the 356cl with market value of $3000.00  :p

I don't want to make something that is unobtainable. Right now there haven't been any attempts on GH to make something as complete and complex as Mira so baby steps. If however you want something one off and over the top and are willing to pay for it yourself, I have no problem designing it for you, I just couldn't justify a GB  :p

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #374 on: Mon, 13 April 2015, 15:07:10 »
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Those teal colors.... mmmmm :D   I'd still love to see a copper version in a TKL.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline cryptowillem

« Reply #375 on: Tue, 14 April 2015, 00:34:45 »
Well, north of $400 US, along with the ****ty Canadian dollar, makes this go from an expensive keyboard to a "maybe I'll skip my vacation this year" keyboard.

But this is epic, and closes in on end-game for me, so I'll count my pennies and maybe skip that vacation.
Got nothing for ya. Head back to camp.

Coolermaster Quickfire Rapid TK w Blues
WASD Code TKL w Greens

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #376 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 22:36:20 »
Hope everyone is ready... we will be announcing a special offer on a very special day...
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 April 2015, 22:47:25 by DrHubblePhD »

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #377 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 22:49:39 »
Hype
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #378 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 22:53:32 »
Cinco de mayo hype?

Offline elton5354

« Reply #379 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 22:54:55 »
Cool. Do you have a prototype done? If so, let's see!

Offline Cottonsox

« Reply #380 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 22:56:34 »
just in time for my busy weekend :(!!

looking forward to seeing what the announcement is none the less!

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #381 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 23:05:05 »
May 5th hype!

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #382 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 23:09:27 »

+1  Thought that had to be done before the orders started.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #383 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 23:22:26 »

+1  Thought that had to be done before the orders started.

Just await the announcement, we understand all your concerns  ;D

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #384 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 23:28:46 »
Perhaps what I should say is that you will get a chance to see the prototype before purchasing. :thumb:

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #385 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 23:30:57 »
Perhaps what I should say is that you will get a chance to see the prototype before purchasing. :thumb:

You're gonna send the prototype to each of us before we buy?!? Sign me up!  :p
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline derezzed

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #386 on: Thu, 16 April 2015, 23:39:01 »
Hope everyone is ready... we will be announcing a special offer on a very special day...

June 6, the 29th anniversary of the release of Disney's Space Camp; one of Disney's worst movies and an affront to space exploration.   Will DrHubblePhD settle the score by producing one of the best custom TKLs with a space theme?  *fingers crossed*

Offline cryptowillem

« Reply #387 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 00:48:19 »

I was reading this on my mobile, and the picture was really small. I didn't get it at first, thinking, "But Yuri Gagarin was the first man in space on April 12th, 1961. It's already past April 12th."

Zoomed in and the picture (literally) became clearer. May 5th, then. I'm hyped. It's in my calendar!
Got nothing for ya. Head back to camp.

Coolermaster Quickfire Rapid TK w Blues
WASD Code TKL w Greens

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #388 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 07:19:34 »

June 6, the 29th anniversary of the release of Disney's Space Camp; one of Disney's worst movies and an affront to space exploration.   Will DrHubblePhD settle the score by producing one of the best custom TKLs with a space theme?  *fingers crossed*

Or even better, a ship date of October 10, the 18th anniversary of the release of Rocketman, one of Disney's funniest movies and Harland Williams' first leading role.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline techmattr

« Reply #389 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 14:13:11 »
24 Apr. 1990 Launch of the Hubble Space Telescope

(yes I know that's not what the pictures are from)
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 April 2015, 14:16:20 by techmattr »

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #390 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 22:15:05 »
What program did you use to design the case?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #391 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 22:17:48 »
Did someone say....MADE IN AMERICA?

If you're thinking about getting into CAD, I *highly* suggest going with Pro Engineer or SolidWorks.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #392 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 22:22:18 »
Did someone say....MADE IN AMERICA?

If you're thinking about getting into CAD, I *highly* suggest going with Pro Engineer or SolidWorks.
Thanks! I know how to use AutoCAD, and I also have a student license, so that is what I plan on sticking with for 2d drawings, but I know SolidWorks has 3d modeling,  hopefully neither don't take too long to get good at.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #393 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 22:25:53 »

Designed in Inventor but it's a silly program. I would recommend following CPT's advice and getting started in solidworks.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #394 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 22:26:44 »
AutoCAD is wonderful for plates though. That's what jd uses for his plates.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #395 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 22:27:05 »

Designed in Inventor but it's a silly program. I would recommend following CPT's advice and getting started in solidworks.
Ok, thanks. I have student licenses for a couple different CAD programs, so I should be able to find one that I like.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #396 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 22:30:21 »

If you don't mind me asking, what thickness did you make your plate and top case? I know for plate its around 1.5mm, but no clue where to go for top case thickness.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #397 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 22:33:06 »

If you don't mind me asking, what thickness did you make your plate and top case? I know for plate its around 1.5mm, but no clue where to go for top case thickness.

The plate is 1.5mm. The top of the case has two different thicknesses so I can't give you a number. I am away from my computer right now, but  I can give you more details later.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #398 on: Fri, 17 April 2015, 22:33:37 »

The plate is 1.5mm. The top of the case has two different thicknesses so I can't give you a number. I am away from my computer right now, but  I can give you more details later.
Thanks!

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #399 on: Sat, 18 April 2015, 00:48:46 »
Looks like I won't have funds in time for this but I hope people pick up some blue and #GOLD
I love Elzy