Author Topic: [IC] Hubble Mira Custom TKL (GB is 3... 2... 1... launched!)  (Read 579299 times)

Offline flopix

• Laur
Re: [IC] Hubble Mira Custom TKL (GROUP BUY STARTING SOON)
« Reply #1600 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 05:09:28 »
I'm fine with a cheaper board too. I can't justify 650, no matter how sexy it is. 400 is doable. I'd love it even more if one could get a TKL pcb and drop it in instead (K-Type comes to mind)...

Offline daviswalkers

• HHKB Amature 2
    • Graphic Design Portfolio
« Reply #1601 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 07:23:10 »
I too am fine with outsourcing the production, however I'm not one of the original #'d orderers so it may not be as important to me as it is to them?

Compact-SQ |          VE.A
 65g Zealios    |      78g Zealios

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1602 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 07:27:44 »
Well if we want it outsourced we'll be better off getting something else that is easily available in the market
from what I know, the original thought of this GB is to get something which is fully made in the US
and I don't know about anyone else, but it's the top reason why I support this GB

Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #1603 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 07:32:19 »
Well if we want it outsourced we'll be better off getting something else that is easily available in the market
from what I know, the original thought of this GB is to get something which is fully made in the US
and I don't know about anyone else, but it's the top reason why I support this GB

I thought this GB was supported because the custom board looked nice?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #1604 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 07:37:17 »
I could check prices with my local shop - it's cheaper for the case I designed to make it in the UK rather than the US.

Offline Jokrik

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1605 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 07:38:28 »

I thought this GB was supported because the custom board looked nice?

Well it is
I supported it for the look and the spirit of it where it's gonna be manufactured
since after all these years we're only limited with Korean made or Chinese made, not that they're bad or anything
Women always figure out the truth. Always. - Han Solo

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1606 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 07:44:16 »
wait what didn't hubble say he was like a phd or something....
Right? I thought he mentioned he was getting his PhD. As in he was already in school for it.

Giving himself the title PhD before he's earned it seems a tad bit pretentious.
But I'm going off the topic.

Hubble has never claimed to be an actual PhD.  I can't find a quote, but he has explained that he simply has a fascination with science and the stars, hence Hubble, Mira, etc.

also even though it sounds like production is a far cry at the moment I really hope that our respective $40s go towards the full cost of the board

Your $40 went to funding the prototype.

The pre order is to help pay for the prototype so that everyone is confident they know what they're paying for!

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1607 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 07:50:10 »
also even though it sounds like production is a far cry at the moment I really hope that our respective $40s go towards the full cost of the board

In order to produce a prototype for the Mira and secure a production run in the future we need to put money down with the CNC company we have chosen. Instead of asking for donations from a few people I think it would be better that we offer some benefits to everyone on GeekHack who chooses to help produce the Mira!

What it costs: $40 down towards the full purchase of the Mira

What you get in return:
  • You reserve your spot in the first 57 units that will include gold stabs
  • The opportunity to specify which number you would like engraved on your custom center weight (more on this below). Non-pre orders will receive their number in order of purchase, i.e. no say in the matter.
  • Priority for the limited number of boards that will be offered with full assembly
  • Pre-orders will ship first regardless of location and the total volume of the full production run
  • A thank you note from me in the mail with some custom stickers  :p  :))

Am I reading it wrong or did I always assume that paying the $40 up front went towards the purchase price?

I hate to say it but that wording seems pretty deliberate in meaning that $40 will be taken off the purchase price of the board

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1608 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 07:53:08 »

In order to produce a prototype for the Mira and secure a production run in the future we need to put money down with the CNC company we have chosen. Instead of asking for donations from a few people I think it would be better that we offer some benefits to everyone on GeekHack who chooses to help produce the Mira!

What you get in return:
  • The opportunity to specify which number you would like engraved on your custom center weight (more on this below). Non-pre orders will receive their number in order of purchase, i.e. no say in the matter.
  • Priority for the limited number of boards that will be offered with full assembly
  • Pre-orders will ship first regardless of location and the total volume of the full production run
  • A thank you note from me in the mail with some custom stickers    :))

Am I reading it wrong or did I always assume that paying the $40 up front went towards the purchase price?

I hate to say it but that wording seems pretty deliberate in meaning that $40 will be taken off the purchase price of the board

It went to funding the proto as well as toward the board when it was ready.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1609 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 07:53:20 »

What you get in return:

Don't be made a high schooler got you guys to pay for him to have a custom keyboard. :P #sorrynotsorry

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1610 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 07:55:49 »

What you get in return:

Don't be made a high schooler got you guys to pay for him to have a custom keyboard. :P #sorrynotsorry

damn kids

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #1611 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 07:56:11 »

What you get in return:

Kids these days.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1612 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 07:56:42 »

What you get in return:

Oh no, that's how I interpreted it as well.  That $40 should be deducted from your final bill.  What I was saying was that the funds have already been spent on the prototype, so no longer exist anymore (presumably - who knows if there was extra money) if you were looking for a refund or something of that sort.  At this point, pre-orders have purchased the prototype and regular buyers will back-subsidize the pre-order purchases, if that makes sense.  It's a bit semantic, but that wasn't my intent.  I misunderstood the root of your question.  :P

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1613 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 07:58:22 »

What you get in return:

Oh no, that's how I interpreted it as well.  That $40 should be deducted from your final bill.  What I was saying was that the funds have already been spent on the prototype, so no longer exist anymore (presumably - who knows if there was extra money) if you were looking for a refund or something of that sort.  At this point, pre-orders have purchased the prototype and regular buyers will back-subsidize the pre-order purchases, if that makes sense.  It's a bit semantic, but that wasn't my intent.  I misunderstood the root of your question.  :P

Ah okay no worries

Yeah I misread it somewhere that I had just personally bankrolled hubble's unicorn keyboard and that was it

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #1614 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 08:01:21 »
Need to start asking for ages and 5 year plans before starting group buys. The number of "something came up" bull**** excuses is getting ridiculous.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #1615 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 08:01:45 »

What you get in return:

Ah okay no worries

Yeah I misread it somewhere that I had just personally bankrolled hubble's unicorn keyboard and that was it

There's no saying that's not what happened.  :D

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #1616 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 08:34:27 »
Need to start asking for ages and 5 year plans before starting group buys. The number of "something came up" bull**** excuses is getting ridiculous.

You should start a GB, id totally buy whatever the fudge you might sell.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1617 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 08:58:09 »

You should buy the GEEK HACK keycaps I'm selling, then. demik used to do them for a while, back a few years ago. But I just recently decided to pick up that torch he dropped.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #1618 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 08:59:37 »

You should buy the GEEK HACK keycaps I'm selling, then. demik used to do them for a while, back a few years ago. But I just recently decided to pick up that torch he dropped.

great advertise, will join! :D

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #1619 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 09:03:52 »

I will throw in a $50 up-front fee to help you fund a prototype for yourself.

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #1620 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 09:32:50 »

I will throw in a $50 up-front fee to help you fund a prototype for yourself.

not sure if plastic is my thang :) but i would try selling some alps space stabwires  eventually, bought some stuff to bend some stabs! id take some donations any day :)

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #1621 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 09:46:07 »

+1

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #1622 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 14:09:38 »
I think age should be irrelevant but proof that they won't **** it up/past experience would be great.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1623 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 14:10:15 »
proof that they won't **** it up

If only it were so simple.

Offline Armagedda

« Reply #1624 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 16:03:50 »
Personally I don't think the whole 'Made in Murrica' aspect matters at all, I bought in because I wanted a great looking board. It would have been cool to see a nice custom board made outside of the Asian keyboard industrial complex but I really hate to see this on hold while the organisers stubbornly trudge towards an impossible goal.

Those moq's listed above are pretty damn steep but not entirely unexpected or unreasonable and when you factor in shipping that much weight around this does not look like it will be coming in anywhere near the target. I was happy to come in for a board at $350-400 knowing full well it could blow out to around $500 all told. I will not be able to justify a $700USD board and I don't doubt there will be many others in my situation too.

IIRC the preorder spots didn't even sell out? I don't see this making an moq of 100 at $800 once you factor in US manufacturing and shipping. Especially for Australians and Canadians who definitely will be struggling to pay something like that when you consider it's $1000 native for us.

IMO go to an overseas manufacturer. There is a reason that people don't manufacture in the US, it's just too expensive.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #1625 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 16:08:42 »
I think age should be irrelevant but proof that they won't **** it up/past experience would be great.
How can you prove something that hasn't happened yet?
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #1626 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 16:13:20 »
I think the point is that you should really start small with stuff like this and work up to the more ambitious peojects/gbs.

It's something that I don't entirely disagree with, but being a younger person myself (I'm 20 now, or so they tell me) I totally see why someone would want to start with a project like this.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #1627 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 16:27:17 »
I think the point is that you should really start small with stuff like this and work up to the more ambitious peojects/gbs.

It's something that I don't entirely disagree with, but being a younger person myself (I'm 20 now, or so they tell me) I totally see why someone would want to start with a project like this.

Start selling plates before a $400+ full kb kit

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #1628 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 16:29:15 »

Exactly.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1629 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 16:50:30 »

Exactly.

What if you don't want to do that. I certainly would not want to waste my time selling plates rather than working on a project that I love and want to see come to fruition. If you don't think they're trustworthy then don't give them your damn money, it's as simple as that.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1630 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 17:03:58 »

Exactly.

What if you don't want to do that. I certainly would not want to waste my time selling plates rather than working on a project that I love and want to see come to fruition. If you don't think they're trustworthy then don't give them your damn money, it's as simple as that.

Since I have insider information here, I will just say this: it really is good to start your group buy life off with something small, just to get a feel for how it is. Then you will know if you want to scale up from there. You can see how long it has taken me to get the JD45 off the ground. That's because I don't want a repeat of the GH60 fiasco or others. I've been doing other group buys because I like doing them, and experience has taught me what to expect.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1631 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 17:08:29 »

Exactly.

Since I have insider information here, I will just say this: it really is good to start your group buy life off with something small, just to get a feel for how it is. Then you will know if you want to scale up from there. You can see how long it has taken me to get the JD45 off the ground. That's because I don't want a repeat of the GH60 fiasco or others. I've been doing other group buys because I like doing them, and experience has taught me what to expect.

I understand that, I always said that when group buys fail it's usually because the person bit off more than they can chew. However, I still think it's perfectly acceptable to have a keyboard kit as your first group buy if you limit the amounts like yuktsi has been doing. The only downside is that people will complain because they didn't get in on the buy but it's better than everybody getting screwed.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1632 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 17:50:50 »

Exactly.

GH60 fiasco?

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #1633 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 19:36:46 »

Exactly.

GH60 fiasco?
If you want to know more, I suggest you look at the gh60 thread in the group buys section. It's pretty darn bad...

Offline meiosis

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Time
« Reply #1634 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 21:02:33 »
As of now it's more of Ninjadoc's guilt that keeps Mira alive.. Hubble took payments after the prototype was paid off that is not accounted for - seemingly everyone after the original 40 numbers - so that money is mia. As is, the board that will come out of here will be a result of ninjadoc's hard work.
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 January 2016, 21:08:04 by Meiosis »
Keyboards:
Filco Majestouch 2 - Sakura Edition [MX Blue]
Filco Majestouch 2 - Lotus Edition [MX Brown]
Realforce 23ub - Modded with 55g Domes.
Aripeko TKL

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1635 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 21:15:17 »
As of now it's more of Ninjadoc's guilt that keeps Mira alive.. Hubble took payments after the prototype was paid off that is not accounted for - seemingly everyone after the original 40 numbers - so that money is mia. As is, the board that will come out of here will be a result of ninjadoc's hard work.

Maybe Hubble should auction off the prototype if the start date isn't announced in a reasonable time frame and refund accordingly

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #1636 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 21:16:12 »

What you get in return:

Ha, pretty much this.

Also, never got stickers and all that jazz, but then again the #'s went terribly wrong as well.  :-X
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline en7ropy

« Reply #1637 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 01:11:11 »

Help the Mira Group Buy ninjadoc, you're our only hope!

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #1638 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 01:24:30 »
Well it's sad that this went to ****.

So hubble just dropped of the face of the planet or what?  :-\

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #1639 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 01:39:15 »
Spamray said it best.  :))

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #1640 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 09:32:08 »
Well it's sad that this went to ****.

So hubble just dropped of the face of the planet or what?  :-\

Haven't seen him on skype for quite a while
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #1641 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 13:08:39 »
This is sad, really liked this project but he's MIA for now which is a total bummer.

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #1642 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 23:51:44 »
Really liked this project. Too bad it's coming to naught.

Keyboard community has been bumming me out lately.

1) Friend got scammed $600 in materials/assembly service from a user on GH (Sent 3 ergodoxes)
2) Spirit buy I was in scammed
3) This buy doesn't seem like it's going anywhere. Wasn't expecting much in the first place, but I still allowed myself to get my hopes up. I offered to put him in touch with a machining service I utilize for my own HW startup, but got no response.
4) Kin25 scammed on the TX1800

Too many projects coming to nothing.
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1643 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 23:57:54 »
I don't know why you guys are posting replies as though this project is dead.
Guys, this is going to happen. Ninjadoc and I have discussed various details and we are quite close.
Unfortunately it's not as simple as pointing at a machining shop and going with it.

My word isn't as official as Ninjadoc's since he is talking to the machining shops and has the CAD files, but I can say that there are revisions that were made to the design which pushes this further back.
Hubble being gone doesn't change the fact that this will happen.
Ninjadoc has all of the CAD files that we need and we have a solid option for a machining shop right now which we are investigating.

More updates will come with some better info. I just wanted to post something quick since people are making assumptions.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #1644 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 23:59:42 »

Ah, I thought this made a big difference.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1645 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 00:02:13 »

Nah, the most important thing he had would be the CAD files which Hubble has sent us.
The money is also important, but we will keep the costs down since we are looking to make zero profit from this.
Just keep our fingers crossed that whatever mistakes we make won't cost us an arm and a leg.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #1646 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 00:05:09 »

Nah, the most important thing he had would be the CAD files which Hubble has sent us.
The money is also important, but we will keep the costs down since we are looking to make zero profit from this.
Just keep our fingers crossed that whatever mistakes we make won't cost us an arm and a leg.

Just to clarify, he designed, prototyped and then gave the files for you to look at different shops?

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1647 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 00:09:12 »

Just to clarify, he designed, prototyped and then gave the files for you to look at different shops?

Yup pretty much. We got the prototypes, got excited, got the notsoexciting quotes, and then had to back off from that shop.
Since Hubble got occupied with other things during that time span we pretty much got carte blanche to continue this project.
Really, the only thing hindering us aside from slow communication with shops is the fact that we can't modify the OP.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #1648 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 00:11:14 »
Thank you for your hard work, frostytoast and ninjadoc.  I have no expertise in getting keyboard parts made, but hopefully you can get more GH support as the project moves along.  Maybe JD can offer some advice, *wink* :) 

I think one of the problems with getting the case parts made abroad would be lack of quality control checks between manufacturing steps on the part of group buy organizers.  Unless one of the organizers happens to live in the country of manufacture and is able to visit the shops and monitor progress.  Otherwise I personally don't see a problem with doing at least part of the manufacturing abroad.   I just remember that the US-made Skeldon case was Very expensive, and it was a simple wedge design, not as intricate as Mira.  Lower number of orders though, if I remember correctly, so that might have been why.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #1649 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 00:12:24 »

Yup pretty much. We got the prototypes, got excited, got the notsoexciting quotes, and then had to back off from that shop.
Since Hubble got occupied with other things during that time span we pretty much got carte blanche to continue this project.
Really, the only thing hindering us aside from slow communication with shops is the fact that we can't modify the OP.

Can't edit it due to not having a CAD designer or that the file is unmoddable?

Sounds good though, my bad for taking him disappearing the wrong way. Thanks for your work.