Author Topic: [IC] Hubble Mira Custom TKL (GB is 3... 2... 1... launched!)  (Read 579307 times)

Offline Bucky

Re: [IC] Hubble Mira Custom TKL (Searching for New Resources)
« Reply #1800 on: Fri, 26 February 2016, 22:54:40 »
At this point the timeline would be at least part of my consideration too. If there isn't progress in a few months maybe I will just jump on a different aluminum TKL custom. I want to stick it out for the Mira if possible though, it really looks amazing. Totally understand Ninjadoc's frustration too.

Offline 64rky

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #1801 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 08:46:36 »
I think people are being a bit stingy with their money when it comes to the voting. I don't see why people are choosing $400 as their max limit when there have been plenty of other kits that have gone for more. To the people that voted, you wouldn't even fork over an extra $50 to get the keyboard? So anything over $400 and you're just calling it quits.

I agree... A lot has/is gone/going into this!!

I am still in

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #1802 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 12:55:50 »
I'm still in! I'd like to confirm that I am still spot number 47. Is that still the case?

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1803 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 13:27:07 »
I'm still in! I'd like to confirm that I am still spot number 47. Is that still the case?

You are, just check the spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pzd7Zo5xQsonnvf7k5IL3_7KPkBGX6CVzUBtos9Jw6M/edit#gid=0
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #1804 on: Sat, 27 February 2016, 13:28:50 »

You are, just check the spreadsheet.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pzd7Zo5xQsonnvf7k5IL3_7KPkBGX6CVzUBtos9Jw6M/edit#gid=0
Thanks for linking that again! I've been in so many group buys recently that I can't keep track of who has posted spreadsheets and who hasn't...

Offline Xiro7

« Reply #1805 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 09:12:00 »
Any word on when official GB and total # of units will be made? I really want to get in on this.

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1806 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 09:15:10 »
 :thumb: those recent prototypes looks awesome

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #1807 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 09:33:54 »
Any word on when official GB and total # of units will be made? I really want to get in on this.

Those last two prototypes are in the mail.
A prototype of the new design is being made now.
If it is good with everyone and the quoteis good I will see what the final price comes out to.
I will post it and see how many it is acceptable to.

Cost is the major factor and this can't keep dragging on.

That is not fair to anyone.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 February 2016, 09:39:55 by ninjadoc »

Offline Xiro7

« Reply #1808 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 10:07:05 »

Those last two prototypes are in the mail.
A prototype of the new design is being made now.
If it is good with everyone and the quoteis good I will see what the final price comes out to.
I will post it and see how many it is acceptable to.

Cost is the major factor and this can't keep dragging on.

That is not fair to anyone.

Considering the cost of some of these other custom boards, I'm less concerned with cost unless it is crazy high ($700+ type range). It is still a really nice looking keyboard.

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #1809 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 06:27:49 »
big fan of the changes, will be saving up for this. if anyone wants to pass their spot on, pls let me know.
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline Data

« Reply #1810 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 14:36:27 »
Haven't checked on this thread in a while.  Nice to see things are still in motion.  Ninjadoc is some kind of flipping hero.

I'm cool with all of the suggested changes.  Can the brass weight be nickel plated?  That's something I'd probably want to look into on my own.  Nickel plated is almost as good as solid stainless, but I wouldn't want a polished brass weight because it tarnishes so easily.  :P

Looking forward to seeing the latested build and the proposed pricing.

Offline flopix

• Laur
« Reply #1811 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 04:15:26 »
I've been missing a lot I see  :eek: . The Mira looks excellent but, as noted, 600 is an epic price :( I'd have to sell all other keyboards and caps to get it :P. In that case, I hope the GB will get delayed a couple of months, ideally until the summer to have enough time to sell my stuff...

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #1812 on: Tue, 01 March 2016, 12:28:21 »
With so many interesting boards hitting the market I'm tempted to start an organ brokering service.  Once you've come around to selling that unwanted kidney, give me a shout... I'm sure I can find a buyer.

I want everyone to know this is made in jest, do not send me spare body parts!
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Data

« Reply #1813 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 15:11:32 »
With so many interesting boards hitting the market I'm tempted to start an organ brokering service.  Once you've come around to selling that unwanted kidney, give me a shout... I'm sure I can find a buyer.

I want everyone to know this is made in jest, do not send me spare body parts!

Instructions unclear.  Sent my liver via Parcel Post. 

Offline Le7iathan

• Certified Lurker
« Reply #1814 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 11:16:47 »
I'd definitely be in if someone isn't up for whatever the finalized price is. Unless there's a possibility of extras just without numbered plates.

Offline en7ropy

« Reply #1815 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 11:18:30 »
I'd definitely be in if someone isn't up for whatever the finalized price is. Unless there's a possibility of extras just without numbered plates.

There almost certainly will be.  The more boards they can get made the lower the price per unit can be.  I think the original goal was to sell 100 or more with the first 57 having numbers.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #1816 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 14:17:12 »

There almost certainly will be.  The more boards they can get made the lower the price per unit can be.  I think the original goal was to sell 100 or more with the first 57 having numbers.
The original goal was for there to be 100 boards made, no more, no less. The only difference between the first 57 and all of the others was that they would have gold stabilizers.

Making more than 100 may not be the best move, since that just adds a lot more work to sorting and inspecting the boards.

Offline Patchwrks

« Reply #1817 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 10:40:57 »

The original goal was for there to be 100 boards made, no more, no less. The only difference between the first 57 and all of the others was that they would have gold stabilizers.

Making more than 100 may not be the best move, since that just adds a lot more work to sorting and inspecting the boards.

100% this.  Even at 100 units, sorting will be a pain
(´・ω・`)denko-chan~~~내 스레드

Offline Bucky

« Reply #1818 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 10:47:52 »
Ninjadoc should have the prototypes by now, right? Would love to see more pictures of them (fully built would be cool). There is a final prototype being made too right? Any progress on that?

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #1819 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 23:13:09 »
Yes I have the prototypes in hand. I took pictures of the winkeyless version and tomorrow I will take pictures of the winkey and try to post them. I'm just switching the plate from winkeyless to winkey but I'll stick two switches on there. Contrary to popular belief the tipping proplem with the function row seems to be negligible.

I'm going to try to send a link to anodizing samples from the company I'm planning on using and have a poll set up on color choice. Do to the expected volume produced I will request only one or two custom colors due to cost constraints and to prevent confusion when they are anodized. I tried to take pictures of the standard colors when I was there so you could see what they look like. The company has 6 - 7 colors standard - I would like to keep it to three depending on the number ordered and 1 - 2 custom colors. That prevents confusion and keeps the price down for those who desire a custom color. I may change my mind depending on what the shop is willing to do.

Quality control - I'm afraid I'm going to have to check every board when they arrive from manufacturing to find defects and attempt to repair any found. This will have to be by hand and I'll have to discuss with the finishing company if I can do it in their shop or if I will have to hole up in a hotel to do that. If I can have a few volunteers who live in driving distance of Cincinnati, OH that would be willing to help it would be appreciated. PM me if you would be interested. I will also try to hand check all boards before they are shipped from anodizing to my home for sorting.

I'm not sure if stainless plates will be available so consider that an advance warning.

With the prototype in hand the binary suns and "Mira" engraving look exactly like the "O'Mira" so that will have to go. I will probably simply go with "MIRA" since I see no way we can do two binary suns in such a small area and make them look attractive, especially since I have no way to make them different colors that I want to be responsible for. If anyone has a good design for binary suns I'm happy to review them but please PM them to me and don't place them in the thread.

The brass plate may be changed to a bottom plate. The three pieces seem to be awkward and the weight is helpful to prevent issues with the function row.

Price - anyone that has not participated in the pricing poll please do so. That includes anyone not in the preorder group because depending on the capacity of the shop I will make more of the board. It may have to be made in groups of 25 - 50 but I would like to supply everyone who desires one the opportunity to purchase it. My goal right now is to have the price in the $400 - $500 range, preferably on the lower end. I don't believe I can get it done at $400 but it might happen.

That's all for tonight. As always, any comments are welcome.

Offline daviswalkers

• HHKB Amature 2
    • Graphic Design Portfolio
« Reply #1820 on: Tue, 08 March 2016, 23:43:45 »
Very excited to see pics, just to clarify it will have winkey and winkeyless right? Or was winkeyless cut with other cost saving changes?

Compact-SQ |          VE.A
 65g Zealios    |      78g Zealios

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #1821 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 00:02:17 »
Very excited to see pics, just to clarify it will have winkey and winkeyless right? Or was winkeyless cut with other cost saving changes?

both

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #1822 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 00:20:32 »
Look forward to seeing the protos  ;D Nice job ninja. Way to be really clear and transparent about this whole thing.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #1823 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 00:33:40 »

both
I have a question about that.

Will the winkeyless boards have a top plate with integrated blockers available, or is that off the table?

I've always wanted a board with built in blockers, since I don't think that the metal blanks look as good...

Offline whentheclouds

« Reply #1824 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 01:36:41 »
that's what david meant by his question, how did you interpret it?. anyway that's one thing you don't have to worry about, winkey blockers are grotesque and no serious gb will forgo the wkl option just because you can put blockers in the winkey slots.

(also it's top housing* not plate)

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #1825 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 02:09:31 »
that's what david meant by his question, how did you interpret it?. anyway that's one thing you don't have to worry about, winkey blockers are grotesque and no serious gb will forgo the wkl option just because you can put blockers in the winkey slots.

(also it's top housing* not plate)
Lol, I meant top housing. That's the one thing about the LZ-RV (of which I am also a part) that I wish I could change.

I interpreted it as us having built in blockers, but I'd rather be 100% sure, and get the thing I want than accidentally be wrong about something.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1826 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 06:18:33 »
Excellent update ninjadoc

Looking forward to seeing the new boards and anodising samples

Offline Bucky

« Reply #1827 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 12:53:25 »
Thanks for the update, great work as always.

Offline Data

« Reply #1828 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 16:24:20 »
Nice update.

Could the "O'MIRA" phenomenon be remedied by simply shifting the position of the smaller circle?  Move it to the top-left, 11 o'clock position.  Is that enough to fix it?  Does it still fit?

I never had a problem with the O'MIRA thing and rather like the logo as it is, to be perfectly honest.  The larger circle isn't the same size as the rest of the letters in the font, so it doesn't immediately look like an O, and the smaller circle looks like a circle (and not an apostrophe) to me.  /shrug

Offline daviswalkers

• HHKB Amature 2
    • Graphic Design Portfolio
« Reply #1829 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 22:58:39 »
david
It's Davis zzz

But yes I was asking about the housing, but he was asking about the plate. He wants the plate to be solid where the winkey hole would normally be. At least that is my understanding

Compact-SQ |          VE.A
 65g Zealios    |      78g Zealios

Offline ika

« Reply #1830 on: Wed, 09 March 2016, 23:01:43 »
How would the binary sun look in between Esc and F1? I  don't think it would be such a bad plate to put a small version of that logo.

Also I wish I were a little closer so I could help with the sorting/shipping process; alas, I'm at the other end of the state and that's not really a day trip.

Also is there any chance a thin polycarbonate diffuser could be added between the top and bottom sections in the future to allow for RGB backlight compatibility?
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 March 2016, 23:03:16 by ika »

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #1831 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 21:17:53 »
I thought I did this earlier - didn't.
Here are links to the two prototypes
Winkey - http://imgur.com/a/FJMka
Winkeyless - http://imgur.com/a/VxiCW

Enjoy. No blockers. Same plate will be used for both.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #1832 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 21:19:54 »

Wow.  ;D

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1833 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 21:23:34 »

nvm

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #1834 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 21:24:24 »
WKL looks awesome, really good job ninja!
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #1835 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 22:30:31 »
that pcb looks really well done. who designed it?

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #1836 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 22:42:50 »
I believe the original plan was for a winkeyless pcb. Not sure if that's still the case though.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #1837 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 22:58:18 »
If bright blue is a color available like there was in the early renders then I will certainly want one of these assuming spots are even open.

Offline radio_killah

• Chinchillin'
« Reply #1838 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 23:39:08 »

It is the L3alphas TKL pcb made by Leeku

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #1839 on: Thu, 10 March 2016, 23:44:27 »
Looks fantastic!

Great job :)

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #1840 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 00:11:24 »
Leeku has agreed to supply the board. Currently the board will have all SMD soldering done except the RGB lights on the bottom. Initially the board was too tall for a diffuser, the latest rendition should be better. We will have to see.

It is the L3alphas TKL pcb made by Leeku

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #1841 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 00:13:09 »
If bright blue is a color available like there was in the early renders then I will certainly want one of these assuming spots are even open.

I will try to get the anodizing colors up tomorrow. I plan on opening spots if there is no limit of production by the shop. Time will answer that.

Offline Bucky

« Reply #1842 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 01:12:02 »
Love the WKL. So since you now have the protos what are your thoughts on the shop Ninjadoc? Does it feel well done? (it looks great)

Offline Data

« Reply #1843 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 07:36:59 »

Sick.

It's smaller than I imagined, and I'm not sure why I had an image in my head that was bigger because it's a TKL and I type on a TKL at work every day... so I know how big they are.   :confused:

Thanks for the photos.

Offline logomachy

« Reply #1844 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 20:57:29 »
This is exciting.
Will the production plate be red or has that not been decided? I hope for a neutral color.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #1845 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 20:59:43 »
This is exciting.
Will the production plate be red or has that not been decided? I hope for a neutral color.
Colors haven't been announced yet, that I'm aware of.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1846 on: Fri, 11 March 2016, 23:18:53 »
Looking tight

Can't wait for this to get into production

Offline ArnavM

• Student of Metaphysics
« Reply #1847 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 00:45:20 »
Will there be multiple colors for the plate?
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

Offline ika

« Reply #1848 on: Sat, 12 March 2016, 13:28:05 »
If anyone wants to let go of their pre-order now I am more than willing to pick up the deposit and spot :)

Offline tullyvivi

« Reply #1849 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 13:39:47 »
I generally dislike people putting their logo in the outter shell, unless its a cool one...