Author Topic: [IC] Hubble Mira Custom TKL (GB is 3... 2... 1... launched!)  (Read 579302 times)

Offline daviswalkers

• HHKB Amature 2
    • Graphic Design Portfolio
Re: [IC] Hubble Mira Custom TKL (Searching for New Resources)
« Reply #1900 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 13:07:13 »
I only joined the first 57 in hopes there would be interesting colors...I'm definitely out if there's no unique colors. Atm, none of the standard colors would compel me to vote for them.

As much as I see why someone would not be comfortable spending so much on a potentially non-neutral color, I think there are and always will be other opportunities to get these neutral colored boards possibly even for cheaper.

The same process is utilized for the anodizing whether it is a neutral color or a custom color. It requires the same amount of labor and the same time. The neutral colors can not be had cheaper than I can get then. The custom colors cost because you have to mix the dye, test it, get it approved, and only anodize a small quantity. That is more money in dye, labor, and time and you have a vat of dye that you have to throw away, clean the vat, and use again. Once again time equals money.

I think he was saying that it might be cheaper for someone to find a different keyboard in a neutral color, not anodizing costs more one way or the other. Like why vote for a black Mira when there are many other black TKL's out there already. The only problem is that I have been looking for a black custom well made TKL for awhile now and haven't found one for sale, I'd like to know where all of these people are finding this "over abundance of custom TKL's" out there.

Compact-SQ |          VE.A
 65g Zealios    |      78g Zealios

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #1901 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 13:23:40 »
so, "pewter" is like the dark grey, right?

Does this help a little more?

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #1902 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 13:45:26 »
yes! thanks ninja. kinda 'dark grey' kinda 'gunmetal'

Offline Data

« Reply #1903 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 14:00:02 »
Of the non-grayscale colors I like Gold the best.  A gold keyboard would be the pinnacle of keyboard achievement and it's especially apropos given the space theme.

dat bling

Offline lol

« Reply #1904 on: Tue, 22 March 2016, 03:38:48 »
I only joined the first 57 in hopes there would be interesting colors...I'm definitely out if there's no unique colors. Atm, none of the standard colors would compel me to vote for them.

As much as I see why someone would not be comfortable spending so much on a potentially non-neutral color, I think there are and always will be other opportunities to get these neutral colored boards possibly even for cheaper.

The same process is utilized for the anodizing whether it is a neutral color or a custom color. It requires the same amount of labor and the same time. The neutral colors can not be had cheaper than I can get then. The custom colors cost because you have to mix the dye, test it, get it approved, and only anodize a small quantity. That is more money in dye, labor, and time and you have a vat of dye that you have to throw away, clean the vat, and use again. Once again time equals money.

I think he was saying that it might be cheaper for someone to find a different keyboard in a neutral color, not anodizing costs more one way or the other. Like why vote for a black Mira when there are many other black TKL's out there already. The only problem is that I have been looking for a black custom well made TKL for awhile now and haven't found one for sale, I'd like to know where all of these people are finding this "over abundance of custom TKL's" out there.

Yeah, sorry that's exactly what I meant.

I assumed that people interested in this board had bought into the theme as well with the NASA font, wavy sides from the chevron, first 57 numbers, Mira binary star, etc. It seems I was wrong. I mean, there are also plenty of opportunities to get custom boards that don't have a specific theme. You can go crazy with all the colors you want there.

I understand this as well but then again the concept originally had a much more intricate logo...recently we had even been considering removing the logo.

I get the whole complications and costs thing...It's unfortunate but at the rate we were going it's close to ending up just a generic custom keyboard (did I mention earlier there was also people saying to just manufacture outside of the West?) Sorry if that all came off as pessimistic - don't get me wrong I'm still excited and I would still be in for some of the colors in the poll I'm just voicing my concern for slippery slopes and only neutral colors.   

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #1905 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 07:10:34 »
My spot is up for grabs. Message here if you want it and do not pm me. I'll pm people in the order of posting.
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 March 2016, 16:50:40 by filphil »

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #1906 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 08:40:34 »
My spot is up for grabs. Message here if you want it and do not pm me. I'll pm people in the order of posting.

I'll pick up the spot. This project seems to be in very good hands now.

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
« Reply #1907 on: Thu, 24 March 2016, 16:51:12 »

I'll pick up the spot. This project seems to be in very good hands now.

I've received your payment and messaged the appropriate people to make changes to the list.  Enjoy spot #3!

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1908 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 21:13:33 »
My spot is up for grabs, just asking for the $40 down payment. I have spot #31.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline ika

« Reply #1909 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 21:40:58 »
My spot is up for grabs, just asking for the $40 down payment. I have spot #31.

I'll take it if it's available still.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #1910 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 22:04:16 »
SixtyLife was the first to respond, he now has my spot #31. :thumb:
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #1911 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 02:48:38 »
thanks Steezus  :)

big fan of this proposed change where the back angle extends all the way out to the back edge:

is this change still planned Ninjadoc? makes the design significantly cleaner imo. didn't see it in the 2 prototypes photos that you linked though, but I think you last mentioned another prototype was being built.
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #1912 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 08:05:40 »
Mira update

Anodizer has fallen through. I aent then 3 of my boards and two of them had anodizing flaws or were anodized with a different finish. I sent them back and they came back with defects again. I called aand their response was they can't make me happy and they would not do anymore keyboards. All I asked was that they produce the kind of product that they showed me as samples so they are a no go.

The machine shop that did the first two prototypes and that is doing a third still hasn't given me an estimate. The owner was out of the country but I'm not sure how interested he is in producing the Mira.

Another shop has expressed interest in producing the Mira and if everything works out their price will bring us close to the $400 mark. They will do finishing and anodizing so pur color choice may be limited. These shops are in another country so this is being done through an intermediary which limits my control of the process and the time frame.

I wa waiting for the estimate before another update but given the current events I felt one was needed. I've made a copy of the color poll and I'll try to meet the chief desires. Clear and black should be easy, blue would depend on the shade or if it was a custom color. Pewter might or might not be available.

Time frame - if I can't start this by sometime in June I will cancel it. I've spent the last year on it and it is similar to beating my head on a wall. If this shop fails I know someone in Korea that I may discuss this with. I'm not sure if that is a possiblility but I can ask.

Offline diqkiq

« Reply #1913 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 12:24:04 »
Thanks for the update!
Filco Majestouch TKL, Noppoo Choc Mini, Realforce 87 55g, Model M TKL, Ducky Shine 3 TKL, KC60, Planck.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #1914 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 13:08:17 »
thank you for doing this, Ninja. we all appreciate your effort. do you need any help?

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #1915 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 13:13:28 »
Ty for the update, and for all the work you've put in to try and keeping this going

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #1916 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 15:44:19 »
Mira update

The machine shop that did the first two prototypes and that is doing a third still hasn't given me an estimate. The owner was out of the country but I'm not sure how interested he is in producing the Mira.

Another shop has expressed interest in producing the Mira and if everything works out their price will bring us close to the $400 mark. They will do finishing and anodizing so pur color choice may be limited. These shops are in another country so this is being done through an intermediary which limits my control of the process and the time frame.
I wonder if there is anyway that norbauer would be able to help with machining or finding a machine shop. He's got an IC thread for a CNC Anodized Aluminum case for CM Novatouch and Rapid-i that looks really promising.
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline Data

« Reply #1917 on: Wed, 06 April 2016, 16:45:08 »
Wow, hard to believe it's this difficult to find a machine shop and anodizer willing to work with us and stand by their work.

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #1918 on: Thu, 07 April 2016, 23:03:59 »
Wow, hard to believe it's this difficult to find a machine shop and anodizer willing to work with us and stand by their work.

I think it has a lot to do with the relatively small quantities.  They probably are accustomed to dealing with larger manufacturers and customers that request MUCH LARGER quantities and amounts than keyboard hobbyists.  When I contact machine shops for keyboard projects, I usually do not get a response.  What we request are small potatoes compared to their bread and butter clientele.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Data

« Reply #1919 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 16:42:22 »

I think it has a lot to do with the relatively small quantities.  They probably are accustomed to dealing with larger manufacturers and customers that request MUCH LARGER quantities and amounts than keyboard hobbyists.  When I contact machine shops for keyboard projects, I usually do not get a response.  What we request are small potatoes compared to their bread and butter clientele.

I know that's a factor, but I also know that some of these shops specialize in one-offs, prototypes, and small quantity custom parts for big companies.  Somebody has to fabricate the parts for one-of-a-kind engineering and architectural projects -- those will never be bulk orders.  So you can't turn away business on that criteria alone.  The shop that I sometimes work with locally is very proud of its partnerships with the theme parks, designing and fabricating one-off and small quantity parts/apparatus for the rides.  If a guy wants a unique part machined for a rollercoaster you don't turn him away because he's only building one.  I'm sure it's a combination of factors in our case.

Offline ika

« Reply #1920 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 18:35:28 »
You guys are forgetting the $ part of the equation... Ninjadoc is trying to get this for the most reasonable price possible. Quality + low quantity + decent price = difficult to find.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1921 on: Fri, 08 April 2016, 18:49:34 »
Thanks ninjadoc for all your hard work

The amount of effort you've put in for everyone is astonishing

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #1922 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 19:55:54 »
Been awhile since I've given an update.
My anodizing shop in the states fell through.
The anodizing shop that the machinist uses that made the 2nd prototype fell through.
Have I mentioned that anodizing shops suck and don't really care if our keyboards look nice or not!
So... the third prototype (my second) is being done at a different shop that does their own anodizing. The machining was a little rough from what I've been told but we hope that can be cleaned up with the finishing. Color choices will be more limited but I'll know more after the prototype is completed. Pricing should be better and hopefully we can get the product out at a price that will make most of you happy.

I know this is dragging on and on. At this point it has been 13 months since the IC started but we are closer to some type of conclusion.There are so many things that I have little or no control of that totally control the length of time it takes to get anything done. Give me a little longer to see how the current shop works out and I'll decide how to precede.

Thanks for everyone's support
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 April 2016, 20:38:28 by ninjadoc »

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #1923 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 20:02:04 »
thanks Steezus  :)

big fan of this proposed change where the back angle extends all the way out to the back edge:
Show Image

is this change still planned Ninjadoc? makes the design significantly cleaner imo. didn't see it in the 2 prototypes photos that you linked though, but I think you last mentioned another prototype was being built.

Yes that is the design that is currently being built as a prototype. I will probably change the engraving to Mira only because of the O'Mira confusion and I think it will be cleaner. I'm not sure what if any change we are going to do with the insert.

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #1924 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 20:16:54 »
Thank you for the update and for your efforts, ninjadoc.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1925 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 20:32:38 »
Thanks for the update ninjadoc!

Offline diqkiq

« Reply #1926 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 20:44:02 »
Thank you ninja doc!
Filco Majestouch TKL, Noppoo Choc Mini, Realforce 87 55g, Model M TKL, Ducky Shine 3 TKL, KC60, Planck.

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #1927 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 20:45:25 »
Thanks for the update and your work :)

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #1928 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 20:46:31 »
thanks Ninjadoc! Simplifying to just MIRA sounds awesome. Can't unsee O'Mira.
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline guy12

« Reply #1929 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 08:51:36 »
Awh, are all the spots gone?

Offline fi0x

« Reply #1930 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 13:23:31 »
Thanks for the update Ninjadoc!
~I̶ ̶a̶m̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶a̶ ̶k̶e̶y̶b̶o̶a̶r̶d̶ ̶g̶e̶e̶k̶ ̶(̶I̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶I̶'̶m̶ ̶o̶n̶e̶)̶ I am a keyboard geek~

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #1931 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 14:52:38 »
I'd like to sell my spot. I have too many other boards that are already on the way to keep holding out hope for this one...

I have spot #47. Please pm me if you want my spot!

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

Offline cmd

« Reply #1932 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 10:02:58 »
I'd like to sell my spot. I have too many other boards that are already on the way to keep holding out hope for this one...

I have spot #47. Please pm me if you want my spot!

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

I PM'd ya  :thumb:

Offline diqkiq

« Reply #1933 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 12:42:11 »

I dont think so. There were a certain number of keyboards that a $40 prepay got you the initial offered numbered edition. But there were quite a few spots left for the other

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #1934 on: Sun, 24 April 2016, 12:44:50 »

I dont think so. There were a certain number of keyboards that a $40 prepay got you the initial offered numbered edition. But there were quite a few spots left for the other
I think only 50 spots were offered for the numbered spots during the IC and the other 50 would be offered in the GB but it's still stuck in IC.

Offline KaminKevCrew

« Reply #1935 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 11:20:39 »
Spot #47 is now ika's!

Pming Ninja and Frosty about the change!

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #1936 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 11:25:02 »
might be looking to give up my spot, i think my number is #37

Offline ika

« Reply #1937 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 12:35:10 »
Spot #47 is now ika's!

Pming Ninja and Frosty about the change!

:thumb: :D

Offline Damonskv

« Reply #1938 on: Mon, 25 April 2016, 13:04:00 »
PM'd about that spot

« Reply #1939 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 13:56:11 »
Too late for anyone here but someone was selling a Mira over on /r/mechmarket and I thought some of you might want to check out the pictures at least.

https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/4goud7/uscah_custom_tkl_w_paypal/

Offline toidbb

« Reply #1940 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 14:01:28 »
PM'd about that spot
I have taken over his spot already. The last PM I received is that we are waiting on the acknowledgment of the swap.

Thanks

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1941 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 15:08:05 »
Too late for anyone here but someone was selling a Mira over on /r/mechmarket and I thought some of you might want to check out the pictures at least.

Whoa, I didn't realize the protos were out in the wild.  Cool stuff, thanks for linking.

Offline Floody

• Formerly Flood
  • But is it?
« Reply #1942 on: Wed, 27 April 2016, 15:20:14 »

That keyset really complimented the color of the board.

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #1943 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 19:06:08 »
prob gonna regret this, but passing on my spot #31.

$40 pp gift. PM if interested.

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #1944 on: Mon, 02 May 2016, 23:37:57 »
prob gonna regret this, but passing on my spot #31.

$40 pp gift. PM if interested.

Hello Ninjadoc, please note that Damonskv has taken over my #31 spot. Cheers.

Offline Bucky

« Reply #1945 on: Fri, 06 May 2016, 17:15:19 »
Thinking I am going to give up my slot if anyone is interested. I was not in the first group so it is a non numbered preorder (the cost was still the same). If you are interested let me know.

Offline LunarisDream

« Reply #1946 on: Tue, 10 May 2016, 14:45:35 »
Mira update

Is it in China? I know a guy who might be able to help with securing a factory for production here, but shipping it to you for QC, as well as the cost of the sample, will be very meh.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #1947 on: Wed, 11 May 2016, 17:28:22 »

Whoa, I didn't realize the protos were out in the wild.  Cool stuff, thanks for linking.

neither did I  :)

I just finished finals, so ill be around for the next month or so checking messages and participating a bit again here on GH.  :thumb:

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #1948 on: Sat, 14 May 2016, 06:57:55 »
Let me know if any slot owner wants to pass theirs by

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OTD 360 Corsa w/ Nixdorf, OTD 356.2 DGE, Matrix 1.2, Matrix 2.0, Matrix Abel, Skog, Dolphin, EM7, Lynn Pad, Plank, LZ-RE, EqualZ, Orion v2, Octagon v2, Viper v2, Tank, Mira, Mira SE, Moon, Camp 225, Let's Split, HHKB, RealForce, Infinity Ergo, Cherry 3700, DolchPac, Nixdorf, Model M, Filcos.

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #1949 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 20:42:15 »
Update - I hope to get a final render this week. After approval I will get it made. If it is a go I will get this going.
If all of the first 57 will let both I and Frosty whether they want winkey or winkeyless it would be appreciated. That way Zeal can make sure he has the gold plated stabs in stock.
 I will get information on colors available this week so everyone can think about them.
At this point I do plan on opening up the orders and hopefully I can do it all the boards at once but it might have to be done in batches. If in batches I WILL NOT collect money for a second batch until I'm sure it can be done.
I will check on plates- stainless or aluminum and verify if aluminum plates will be anodized.
I will see what can be arranged for assembly..
Once I'm sure this is a go I will find out what the lead time for PCB's from Leeku will need to be. These should be presoldered except for the RGB LED's. Previously the Mira was too tall for a diffuser plate. We've lower it but I'm not sure if it is enough or not.
As for time frame - I wish it was yesterday.
I think that covers it. Keep your fingers crossed.