Author Topic: [IC] Hubble Mira Custom TKL (GB is 3... 2... 1... launched!)  (Read 579304 times)

Offline daviswalkers

• HHKB Amature 2
    • Graphic Design Portfolio
Re: [IC] Hubble Mira Custom TKL (Searching for New Resources)
« Reply #1950 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 20:52:47 »

Update - I hope to get a final render this week. After approval I will get it made. If it is a go I will get this going.
If all of the first 57 will let both I and Frosty whether they want winkey or winkeyless it would be appreciated. That way Zeal can make sure he has the gold plated stabs in stock.
 I will get information on colors available this week so everyone can think about them.
At this point I do plan on opening up the orders and hopefully I can do it all the boards at once but it might have to be done in batches. If in batches I WILL NOT collect money for a second batch until I'm sure it can be done.
I will check on plates- stainless or aluminum and verify if aluminum plates will be anodized.
I will see what can be arranged for assembly..
Once I'm sure this is a go I will find out what the lead time for PCB's from Leeku will need to be. These should be presoldered except for the RGB LED's. Previously the Mira was too tall for a diffuser plate. We've lower it but I'm not sure if it is enough or not.
As for time frame - I wish it was yesterday.
I think that covers it. Keep your fingers crossed.

As always amazing work, and great update I look forward to your next update

Compact-SQ |          VE.A
 65g Zealios    |      78g Zealios

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1951 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 20:55:07 »
Update - I hope to get a final render this week. After approval I will get it made. If it is a go I will get this going.
If all of the first 57 will let both I and Frosty whether they want winkey or winkeyless it would be appreciated. That way Zeal can make sure he has the gold plated stabs in stock.
 I will get information on colors available this week so everyone can think about them.
At this point I do plan on opening up the orders and hopefully I can do it all the boards at once but it might have to be done in batches. If in batches I WILL NOT collect money for a second batch until I'm sure it can be done.
I will check on plates- stainless or aluminum and verify if aluminum plates will be anodized.
Once I'm sure this is a go I will find out what the lead time for PCB's from Leeku will need to be. These should be presoldered except for the RGB LED's. Previously the Mira was too tall for a diffuser plate. We've lower it but I'm not sure if it is enough or not.

I wanted a winkey with a 1.25 bottom row -- should I send you a PM or is this good enough?
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline ika

« Reply #1952 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 21:07:19 »
Aw man, whatever happened to the custom B.Mira PCB from winkeyless.kr? I would personally much rather use BootMapperClient over JigOn.

also, I'd like winkey 7u with 1.5 / 1 / 1.5 / 7 / 1.5 / 1 / 1.5 if possible.

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #1953 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 21:14:09 »

Does the case support other PCBs? I'm always afraid of ruining a custom PCB, so to be able to use one that's readily available would put me at ease
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline aznairjordan

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #1954 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 22:16:48 »

thanks for the update! waiting on a more official response to how to notify you and frosty about wk/wkl. Is PMing both of you enough?
TGR Jane CE|FC660C|Orion V2
GMK Hyperfuse|GMK Olivetti|GMK Red Alert|Soulfree's Teal|GMK Cyan

Offline asdfjkl36

• blue shirt guy
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • --- Click Clacks and Cats --- -- Cyan > Purple --
« Reply #1955 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 22:26:44 »
Ty for the update!

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1956 on: Mon, 16 May 2016, 22:42:43 »

thanks for the update! waiting on a more official response to how to notify you and frosty about wk/wkl. Is PMing both of you enough?

No need for the PM.
Once everything is finalized, a form will be sent out asking for your information (shipping, payment, kit choices)
Just sit back and wait for the updates to roll in.  :thumb:
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Data

« Reply #1957 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 07:06:05 »
Nice to see things are still moving along.  I'd almost given up on this one.  :P

Offline en7ropy

« Reply #1958 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 10:48:08 »
I want to see the color options.

Offline Bucky

« Reply #1959 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 13:23:02 »
If we preordered but aren't in the first 57 will we still be in the first batch? I was going to sell my slot but at this point maybe I should wait to see new renders.

Offline cmd

« Reply #1960 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 21:17:53 »
Looking to take someone's spot.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Offline baotung

« Reply #1961 on: Tue, 17 May 2016, 22:44:29 »
Also interested in taking someones spot if they back out! Just hit me up with a PM and I will gladly take it! ;)

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #1962 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 11:31:45 »
I would love to get a 1.5/1/1.5/7/1.5/1/1.5 winkeyless bottom row, but i first a couple questions;

1. Are we still using blockers for winkeyless?
2. How can I access function layers without a typical "function" key?
3. stabs will be provided with the kit? Or available to purchase with the kit?

Offline Data

« Reply #1963 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 11:39:52 »

Just spitballing here...  If we assume there are function layers then we can also assume it's fully programmable.  So you've got plenty of options.
1. Fn on Right Ctrl
2. Fn on Scroll Lock
3. Fn on Space Bar with "SpaceFN" firmware?
4. ? ? ?
5. Profit

What did you have in mind for your Fn layers?  I'd probably put LED controls on mine, but that's about it.  /shrug

Offline ika

« Reply #1964 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 14:08:28 »

Just spitballing here...  If we assume there are function layers then we can also assume it's fully programmable.  So you've got plenty of options.
1. Fn on Right Ctrl
2. Fn on Scroll Lock
3. Fn on Space Bar with "SpaceFN" firmware?
4. ? ? ?
5. Profit

What did you have in mind for your Fn layers?  I'd probably put LED controls on mine, but that's about it.  /shrug

If it's a Leeku PCB it will be using JigOn software. Fully programmable except LED controls are a bit sparse IMO compared to Winkeyless.kr PCBs/software (no switch LED brightness, fewer RGB modes and less control).

If I do the 7u bottom row with winkey I'd do a short right shift and add a 1u FN there, maybe right right winkey a layer control key. I only use right control on that side anyway. Then I can make caps another FN key and put actual capslock on another layer just in case.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1965 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 14:21:36 »
I would love to get a 1.5/1/1.5/7/1.5/1/1.5 winkeyless bottom row, but i first a couple questions;

1. It has been said several times over that the case will be using built in blockers for winkeyless. I don't know where the rumour that it was otherwise started.
2. Leeku PCBs use JigOn which allow for a function layer accessible by any assigned key and multiple alternative layers that you can switch between while still having the function layer underneath.
3. Unless you were in the initial 57 orders you will be sourcing your own stabs.

Offline ika

« Reply #1966 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 14:59:29 »

1. It has been said several times over that the case will be using built in blockers for winkeyless. I don't know where the rumour that it was otherwise started.
2. Leeku PCBs use JigOn which allow for a function layer accessible by any assigned key and multiple alternative layers that you can switch between while still having the function layer underneath.
3. Unless you were in the initial 57 orders you will be sourcing your own stabs.

Thanks for the info frosty. Does the case support other PCBs, such as A.87? Or will the Leeku PCB be specific for this board? I would be looking to do something with an acrylic diffuser and BootMapperClient.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #1967 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 16:37:22 »

Thanks for the replies! I am in the initial 57, so what does that mean for stabilizers?

Offline ika

« Reply #1968 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 16:43:27 »

Thanks for the replies! I am in the initial 57, so what does that mean for stabilizers?

If you're in the first 57 you get gold stabs from Zeal.

Offline Bucky

« Reply #1969 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 21:39:17 »
It is fine if things are different, but the OP said that everyone would be receiving stabs (first 57 gold, rest would be normal stabs)

Offline techmattr

« Reply #1970 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 21:41:22 »
Thanks for the updates guys. Winkey for me.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1971 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 22:17:09 »
It is fine if things are different, but the OP said that everyone would be receiving stabs (first 57 gold, rest would be normal stabs)

Sorry about that I made a mistake.
If it was initially promised that this buy will include stabs for all then I'll make that happen.
The current issue is that it's quite hard to find a source for stabs but I'll get a hold of them one way or another as promised; even if it's out of my own pocket.

Offline Bucky

« Reply #1972 on: Wed, 18 May 2016, 22:58:39 »
No problem, with how long this buy has gone on it is pretty hard to not forget stuff :) Thanks for the hard work.

Offline diqkiq

« Reply #1973 on: Thu, 19 May 2016, 00:02:13 »
Winkey and all 1.25 for me
Filco Majestouch TKL, Noppoo Choc Mini, Realforce 87 55g, Model M TKL, Ducky Shine 3 TKL, KC60, Planck.

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #1974 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 11:27:16 »
Still waiting for the final render and quote from the shop. CAD guy has been busy - should be this week.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1975 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 14:24:44 »
I have sent out messages to the initial 57 people with a form.
If you have not received a message but believe you are in the first 57 please message me.

Those with spot #9, 41, 52, and 56 do not have their GH username entered in the form and I need those people to contact me ASAP.

Offline ika

« Reply #1976 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 14:52:57 »
Still waiting for the final render and quote from the shop. CAD guy has been busy - should be this week.

Just to confirm, this is for stabs only, not for the case top arrangement?

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1977 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 14:55:23 »
The form going out right now is a quick one to ensure we have the right amount of stabs.
Once everything is finalized there will be a final master form.
Please keep in mind that once you pick the stabs you want the choice is locked in.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1978 on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 16:34:20 »
I have sent out messages to the initial 57 people with a form.
If you have not received a message but believe you are in the first 57 please message me.

Those with spot #9, 41, 52, and 56 do not have their GH username entered in the form and I need those people to contact me ASAP.

Filled
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1979 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 00:12:20 »
Man I am excited :D

Offline abjr

• abjr.org
« Reply #1980 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 08:27:12 »
Let me know if any slot owner wants to pass theirs by

zzyjayfree has taken over spot #29 from me. I have also PM'd FrostyToast and ninjadoc to update the spreadsheet. Thanks.
CM QFR | magicforce 68 (Gateron) | magicforce 68 (Outemu) | Acros 6311-K

Offline cmd

« Reply #1981 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 10:50:13 »
Will there still be a second round of orders or has that already passed?

Offline airs

« Reply #1982 on: Fri, 03 June 2016, 18:22:02 »
Would love to get in on this - will there be a GB after the 57?
Octagon v2, LZ CLS

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #1983 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 10:44:55 »

I'm not sure if it will be a second round or if it will be opened up and capped at a specific number. My plan now is to open it up for orders depending on the factory's willingness to produce the board.

Offline ninjadoc

Mira update
« Reply #1984 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 10:57:03 »
Well, I have the Mira prototype renders and the prototype is in production right now. I’ve asked for an estimate on cost and on colors and I’m waiting on an answer.
The logo has been changed because of the “O’Mira” appearance. The insert has been changed because of cost of manufacturing. It looked cool but the cost of producing added to the overall cost more than something hidden in the case or on the bottom was worth. It is now a simple plate that currently will be offered in stainless steel.
Several have addressed PCB’s – it will take Leeku’s board and the NERD 2.0 with the USB on top. I haven’t asked Gon about offering it in the group buy and I’m not sure I want to tackle another add-on but I will notify him about it fitting in the Mira. Winkeyless PCB’s have the USB in a different location, are wider, and would require a special version to be made. My understanding is someone has received permission to use his firmware on a PCB and is currently working on a design. If that turns out I will let everyone know in the thread where they can purchase one.
Possible add- on offers include stabilizers, stickers, “older switches”, LED’s, and assembly. Springs would be harder to source but I might be able to acquire them.
Without further discussion here are the renders –

I’m not sure if engraving the two circles are worthwhile on the bottom but I feel we should at least pay some homage to the Mira star system. As usual comments, complaints, or suggestions are welcome. As long as costs aren’t prohibitive and color choice is good this is the final design change on the Mira.

Offline cmd

« Reply #1985 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 11:08:14 »

I'm not sure if it will be a second round or if it will be opened up and capped at a specific number. My plan now is to open it up for orders depending on the factory's willingness to produce the board.

Sounds good ninjadoc. Appreciate everything!

Added: I personally liked the Oo on the mira logo on the front :(
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 June 2016, 11:14:05 by cmd »

Offline limitz

• "the old gods stir and will not let me sleep..."
« Reply #1986 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 12:31:48 »
The size and design of the weight looks great. Logo revision is better, less cluttered on the front.

Have you thought about putting the logo on the back, near the USB cutout, for a cleaner top design? Either configuration will be okay though, as the logo is good enough to stand out, and be a part of the design itself.
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 June 2016, 12:43:52 by limitz »
Mmm... machined aluminum

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #1987 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 14:25:20 »
is the case still designed to accommodate a weight insert? If so, I could definitely see a small spin-off group buy for just weights after this run is complete. I would be willing to head up this effort.

personally, i see no need for the binary stars on the back of the case - especially if they're just going to be etched. as limitz suggested, i think we should show them somewhere more visible on the case, and near the USB plug is a good choice for location.

thanks again for all your efforts, ninja

Offline ika

« Reply #1988 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 14:39:08 »
I recall reading about plans for an acrylic diffuser layer - is this still in the works/an option?

I like the revision to the engraved "MIRA" on the top of the case, and would not like it if it were removed, as that engraving is what differentiates a TKL from the myriad of other alu customs. I like the engraving of the binary stars on the back but wouldn't mind having it near or on the USB cutout, it could make for an interesting effect.

Offline Patchwrks

« Reply #1989 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 14:40:21 »
I recall reading about plans for an acrylic diffuser layer - is this still in the works/an option?

I thought that was for the 27 keyboard
(´・ω・`)denko-chan~~~내 스레드

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #1990 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 15:26:30 »
Looking to pick up someone's spot, PM me if you're looking to get rid of it
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #1991 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 17:15:08 »
is the case still designed to accommodate a weight insert? If so, I could definitely see a small spin-off group buy for just weights after this run is complete. I would be willing to head up this effort.

personally, i see no need for the binary stars on the back of the case - especially if they're just going to be etched. as limitz suggested, i think we should show them somewhere more visible on the case, and near the USB plug is a good choice for location.

There is a stainless steel weight in the bottom of the case.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #1992 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 17:43:12 »

so there is a weight included, it will just not poke through the back of the case through the binary cutout? ie, there will not be a binary cutout?

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #1993 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 18:22:36 »

so there is a weight included, it will just not poke through the back of the case through the binary cutout? ie, there will not be a binary cutout?
yes.
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline Data

« Reply #1994 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 21:30:11 »
Any reason the binary symbol couldn't go here?

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • hickneller.com
« Reply #1995 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 21:35:03 »
Have you thought about putting the logo on the back, near the USB cutout, for a cleaner top design?

I would like this, not that my opinion matters as I am not in the pre orders or whatever and would only buy if more orders end up being taken

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1996 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 21:36:43 »
Have you thought about putting the logo on the back, near the USB cutout, for a cleaner top design? Either configuration will be okay though, as the logo is good enough to stand out, and be a part of the design itself.
Yes this has been mentioned in the thread before.
Adding any cuts on the back of the board would mean an additional flipping of the piece during the milling process. This would increase the cost by a stupid amount and not be worth it.

No. There were talks about it since the reduced height of the keyboard might make it possible to accommodate such a feature.
Still nothing concrete however.

Show Image

Because it would look ugly. So ugly. Please.

Offline lol

« Reply #1997 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 21:58:10 »

yes.

Shucks, I really liked the cutout of the prototype / being able to see the weight.

Offline Patchwrks

« Reply #1998 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 22:05:44 »
Adding any cuts on the back of the board would mean an additional flipping of the piece during the milling process. This would increase the cost by a stupid amount and not be worth it.

No. There were talks about it since the reduced height of the keyboard might make it possible to accommodate such a feature.

Show Image

I would definitely prefer no acrylic cutout. I've seen a couple boards with this and I'd much rather have this one be different
(´・ω・`)denko-chan~~~내 스레드

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #1999 on: Sun, 05 June 2016, 22:07:11 »

Show Image

I would definitely prefer no acrylic cutout. I've seen a couple boards with this and I'd much rather have this one be different

It really doesn't make a difference to include it.
All boards that use acrylic diffusers can be assembled without them.