Author Topic: [IC] Hubble Mira Custom TKL (GB is 3... 2... 1... launched!)  (Read 579272 times)

Offline Data

Re: [IC] Hubble Mira Custom TKL (Searching for New Resources)
« Reply #2100 on: Thu, 29 September 2016, 08:05:29 »
skcheng has purchased my spot #10.

Transferring to him.

Offline daviswalkers

• HHKB Amature 2
    • Graphic Design Portfolio
« Reply #2101 on: Fri, 30 September 2016, 09:43:30 »
Showed interest a week or two ago, things came up and unless this takes another 4-5 months to take off I likely wont be able to take part, if anyone is interested in picking up my preorder ($40 which is taken off of eventual GP price) let me know, I do not have any specific #.

Compact-SQ |          VE.A
 65g Zealios    |      78g Zealios

Offline ninjadoc

Mira update
« Reply #2102 on: Wed, 05 October 2016, 18:19:07 »
Several things are going on

Let me address the " prototypes in the wild" situation.
When I took over the only prototype was the one Hubble had where the winkeyless blockers were too long.

I initially asked a well known member of Geekhack to help me correct the CAD files he wanted to charge me an amount per hour that was prohibitive to me given that the only funds I had were my own since all deposits went to Hubble.

Someone had approached me after the first prototype about working with me on a group buy in the states and we talked about redesigning the Mira. He was willing to help and three prototypes were produced - the winkey one and the winkeyless one I had and a red winkeyless one he had made for himself. I sold the blue winkey one to help recoup some of my cost to a friend who built it and then asked if he could sell it. The red one sold shortly afterwards. Retrospectively that was not a smart move on my part.

We then redisgned the Mira to make it more cost effective to build. This drug on forever so I hired someone in the states to work on the design. Eventually the person helping me from Geekhack said that we could get a prototype done and since I was spending all of my money on it he would pay for this one. Once it was made he decided to keep it. Now that prototype is up for sale here
https://m.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/55yomg/sghmira_prototype_w_paypal/
http://imgur.com/a/D2l7E

I'm not going to say who this was but I really don't appreciate it and I've sunk miles driven, shops visited, prototypes made, time, and only my money into this project. I've paid for CAD with someone that has no relationship with the keyboard community and currently have several Mira designs available.

This design being sold would cost $500 to be produced if at least 70 were produced and that is without any profit being made by myself, Frosty, or Zeal. It would also cost $70 to be shipped to your door. I really don't want to deal with that person but if there is enough interest I can do so.
Currently there is another shop that has plans in hand and I'm waiting for their estimate.

I will post other pictures of the prototype that is being sold.

Offline ninjadoc

Current Mira delay
« Reply #2103 on: Wed, 05 October 2016, 18:23:58 »
I haven't been updating due to the issues of lack of communication from the person helping me with the last prototype that is now being sold as described in my previous post.

There is a second issue - I've had several medical problems over the last year or so and next week I have two surgeries followed by up to three weeks of in patient rehab. I suspect you will hear little or nothing from me during that time. Needless to say the work up preceding this has also led to me not commenting on the status of the Mira.

Offline ninjadoc

Mira pictures
« Reply #2104 on: Wed, 05 October 2016, 18:48:51 »
http://imgur.com/a/B91Xi

I copied the ones from the sale to the folder

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #2105 on: Wed, 05 October 2016, 22:54:47 »
Thanks for the update ninja, wishing you the best of luck towards your upcoming surgeries. I think we can all agree that the delays in this board aren't that big of a deal when it comes to your personal health

EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline diqkiq

« Reply #2106 on: Sat, 08 October 2016, 21:09:19 »
I haven't been updating due to the issues of lack of communication from the person helping me with the last prototype that is now being sold as described in my previous post.

There is a second issue - I've had several medical problems over the last year or so and next week I have two surgeries followed by up to three weeks of in patient rehab. I suspect you will hear little or nothing from me during that time. Needless to say the work up preceding this has also led to me not commenting on the status of the Mira.
I am truly impressed and appreciative of you rescuing this project.

Get better. I'm in for the long term, so I will wait for posts in the future.
Filco Majestouch TKL, Noppoo Choc Mini, Realforce 87 55g, Model M TKL, Ducky Shine 3 TKL, KC60, Planck.

Offline ninjadoc

Warning)
« Reply #2107 on: Sun, 09 October 2016, 12:55:26 »

By the way - the person who was helping me who kept the second prototype has CAD files - so any GB or other prototypes sold are not authorized by me and have absolutely nothing to do with this group buy.

There should only be 4 prototypes
1 black WKL sitting on my desk
1 blue/grey WK sold by me
1 red WKL
1 silver WKL, second prototype being sold by a friend of or the person who is/was helping me produce the MIRA.

Any other MIRA's that show up are not authorized by me or anyone else associated with this group buy

Only I will start the GB and there has not been any private GB done that I had anything to do with. Hopefully that clarifies any questions and or comments seen on Reddit. This should have been run in August at the latest and the person helping has been "slow", not answered messages or email, and has recently made it more difficult to get the board produced. That resulted in me having the CAD files redrawn with a few modifications.

Offline doom2

« Reply #2108 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 14:37:25 »
I would be very interested in this GB! Like the layout and the case.  :thumb:

Offline tribade

Re: Current Mira delay
« Reply #2109 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 11:39:34 »

Wish you all the best with your health and successful and speedy recovery from your surgeries!
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline Charlie.Mike25

« Reply #2110 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 17:45:36 »
I would love to pair this with my newly acquired Godspeed SA set, but 400 USD... that's a lot of money... will monitor this to look for a final price, but at this price point, a little too much.

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #2111 on: Wed, 12 October 2016, 17:51:32 »
I would love to pair this with my newly acquired Godspeed SA set, but 400 USD... that's a lot of money... will monitor this to look for a final price, but at this price point, a little too much.

Probably not gonna change by much. If the aftermarket prices are indicative of anything, people are willing to pay much more for this board.
EM7 | Nunu | Virgo | Salamander | SS AEK64

Offline tuba section

« Reply #2112 on: Fri, 04 November 2016, 00:06:54 »
If anyone would like to sell their spot feel free to PM me. Thanks!

Offline skcheng

• * Destiny Supporter
    • Tenafly Dentistry
« Reply #2113 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 10:57:26 »
Supposedly the prototype turned out great!!   So here's hoping that we can get this GB going with possibly some new resources.   

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #2114 on: Sun, 06 November 2016, 13:12:53 »
Stopped back here today. Can't thank Ninjadoc enough for all the great work he has done on this project both on my behalf and for the most part on his own. Rock on!  :thumb:

Offline nastrovje

« Reply #2115 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 01:01:54 »
I too would like to buy a spot. Contact me via pm, I check often.

Offline daviswalkers

• HHKB Amature 2
    • Graphic Design Portfolio
« Reply #2116 on: Mon, 07 November 2016, 11:22:44 »
I too would like to buy a spot. Contact me via pm, I check often.

Sold my spot to nastrovje

Compact-SQ |          VE.A
 65g Zealios    |      78g Zealios

Offline ticktwo

• -kbdfan
« Reply #2117 on: Thu, 10 November 2016, 03:05:24 »
favorite layout and case!  :thumb:
HHKB | Leopold FC750R | Mech27 (soon) | TX-75 (soon)

Offline Data

« Reply #2118 on: Thu, 10 November 2016, 09:25:26 »
Stopped back here today. Can't thank Ninjadoc enough for all the great work he has done on this project both on my behalf and for the most part on his own. Rock on!  :thumb:

Might want to edit the OP.  The current "approved" design looks nothing like the original photos.  It's a little misleading, especially for newcomers.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #2119 on: Wed, 23 November 2016, 14:54:10 »

Might want to edit the OP.  The current "approved" design looks nothing like the original photos.  It's a little misleading, especially for newcomers.

I have seen the latest design and I understand the sacrifices he has had to make in order to get it produced. It's a tricky process and consider this a start! Before the Mira few were thinking about such ambitious projects here. Perhaps for good reason, but it may be worth it to push the envelope even a bit!

Offline ninjadoc

Mira update
« Reply #2120 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 10:19:09 »
Hate airing my own issues but I feel the group needs an explanation of the delay - after 16 hours of surgery followed my multiple complications I'm back briefly. A tumor was found in my chest and I have another surgery scheduled for next week. Unsure about the recovery on that.

Personal stuff aside - the Mira is progressing. There are a few errors on the design which will be corrected. Once cost, packing, and colors are decided I hope to pull this off in the next two months - FINALLY. Leelu's board is planned to be used but the NERD will work and Yuk Tsi has designed a board that should fit. Leeku's board is the one that will be offered but the others may be bought on your own.

all that said - here some prototypes that address all of your complaints ( I think)

http://imgur.com/a/Mj1Yr

As I said, a few modifications need to be made.

Cheers
ninjadoc

Offline zzyjayfree

« Reply #2121 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 10:20:12 »
Looking good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OTD 360 Corsa w/ Nixdorf, OTD 356.2 DGE, Matrix 1.2, Matrix 2.0, Matrix Abel, Skog, Dolphin, EM7, Lynn Pad, Plank, LZ-RE, EqualZ, Orion v2, Octagon v2, Viper v2, Tank, Mira, Mira SE, Moon, Camp 225, Let's Split, HHKB, RealForce, Infinity Ergo, Cherry 3700, DolchPac, Nixdorf, Model M, Filcos.

Offline adamski07

• * Maker
  • adamskimodz|fudorekz12
« Reply #2122 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 10:22:30 »
Awesome update. Get well soon, brother!

Offline Damonskv

« Reply #2123 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 10:27:00 »
Hate airing my own issues but I feel the group needs an explanation of the delay - after 16 hours of surgery followed my multiple complications I'm back briefly. A tumor was found in my chest and I have another surgery scheduled for next week. Unsure about the recovery on that.

Personal stuff aside - the Mira is progressing. There are a few errors on the design which will be corrected. Once cost, packing, and colors are decided I hope to pull this off in the next two months - FINALLY. Leelu's board is planned to be used but the NERD will work and Yuk Tsi has designed a board that should fit. Leeku's board is the one that will be offered but the others may be bought on your own.

all that said - here some prototypes that address all of your complaints ( I think)

Cheers
ninjadoc
Great, as i see you totally back to original design ideas?

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #2124 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 10:28:11 »
Get well soon.  :thumb:

If I liked the TKL layout I'd be all over this board, looks amazing.

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #2125 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 10:39:11 »

Out of curiosity what layouts are you interested in? Mini, 65%, keypad?
Never know what might appear if I get this one to finally launch.

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #2126 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 10:47:06 »

Out of curiosity what layouts are you interested in? Mini, 65%, keypad?
Never know what might appear if I get this one to finally launch.
I don't know about 65% yet, but I'll give it a try with the JC65, so I'm not opposed to it. I really love my Duck Black Bird and Sentraq TK78 layouts though (yeah, really strange layouts). I'd love to see another CP layout board (like the LZ-CP, CPSQ, TX-CP) sometimes as I missed/had to skip all of them until now. An easy way to get me interested in a board is offering a split Spacebar layout, I love uncommon stuff.
TBH the only layouts I don't really like are 60% and smaller as well as TKL's.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #2127 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 10:49:30 »
hells ya! happy to see the O'Mira logo is staying, as well as the binary weight in the bottom of the case

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2128 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 10:49:42 »
great stuff, good luck on the upcoming surgeries

« Last Edit: Tue, 29 November 2016, 15:30:39 by alienman82 »

Offline -musubi

• Spam rice 'n eggs
Re: Mira update
« Reply #2129 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 14:31:38 »

Cheers
ninjadoc

Yesss it's beautiful! Definitely glad you managed to make it back for an update. Best of luck to you and your surgery and recovery  :thumb:

Hopefully I can get in this without a pre-order spot.

Offline unipsykal

• ghostly lurker
« Reply #2130 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 22:14:30 »
Looking good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My man!

Offline SixtyLife

« Reply #2131 on: Tue, 29 November 2016, 22:52:08 »
new proto looks phenomenal. wish you the best for your upcoming surgery ninjadoc.
Kishsaver, JP SSK, Displaywriter SSK, 360C, HHKB Type S, X60, Jane v2, Jane v2 CE

Offline nastrovje

« Reply #2132 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 02:32:59 »
Hey man! Sorry to hear that. I wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery! Never lose your drive while feeling bad and stay patient, in the end you will conquer this and be stronger than before!

And the board just looks phenomenal! Big fan of the weight showing on the bottom. Well worth any wait.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #2133 on: Wed, 30 November 2016, 22:17:29 »
That latest prototype is looking **** hot

Offline techmattr

« Reply #2134 on: Thu, 01 December 2016, 00:17:25 »
That latest prototype is looking **** hot

Agreed. I'm pretty excited the O'Mira is back in. Is that the final decision then?

Offline muon

« Reply #2135 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 10:51:35 »
Hey, just transferred my spot (which I purchased from Bucky) to chilldude_22!

Offline duhhey

« Reply #2136 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 12:12:56 »
If someone wants to sell their spot, please let me know! I would love to buy it

Offline nsmechkb

« Reply #2137 on: Sat, 03 December 2016, 14:47:55 »
The newest prototype pictures look great. Any chance we could see a profile shot of the upright board? If it's not inconvenient.

Nice work!

Offline airs

« Reply #2138 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 00:57:25 »
Also would love to buy a spot. Please PM.
Octagon v2, LZ CLS

Offline ATXTider

• I keep it playa while some choose to play it safe
« Reply #2139 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 09:05:41 »
LMAO, this thread is 1.75 years old, and y'all STILL think this will ever happen.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2140 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 09:53:38 »
LMAO, this thread is 1.75 years old, and y'all STILL think this will ever happen.

maybe if you read the part about one of leaders being very sick you'd have though before you wrote that.

Offline Fictiouz

• That "White" Guy
  • "You miss 100% of the shots you take." -S. Trooper
« Reply #2141 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 09:58:13 »

Please tell me know how this comment was constructive in any way, then let me know what happens if you research the history of this thread at all.
Halifax, NS Meetup | "I know you'll come back to me, I'm like a good kind of herpes, I'm impossible to get rid of." - 27
67g Zilent V2 M60-A | BKE Redux HHKB Professional 2 | 62g Silent Black Planck | 62g Vint Black Tex Yoda II | Bolt-Modded Model M 1391301

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #2142 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 12:06:30 »

I didn't start this damn thing. If I had, I would have had stuff lined up before it was ever posted.

There was no thought given to whether this was a practical design - just that it looked pretty.
Cost is prohibitive in the US unless done in quantity.
I worked with one person for over a year - he didn't answer for weeks at a time, changed factories and anodizers at least twice, tried to force me to use his PCB that was untested, and bumped the price so it would be prohibitive to sell.
I'm working with someone now who has a good price, has the cutout weight, the PCB is arranged, and we are negotiating the price.

If you don't want any part of this - please DON'T participate because I don't want your business. I'm not talking about all of you just ATXTider.

As for money - look who started this group buy and guess where all the deposits are? I haven't seen any of that money except for the first prototype.

Assuming I survive this - this should happen - hopefully shortly. If not - I'll close it down.

As for selling and buying spots - STOP IT! As long as the factory will produce them in large enough quantity you will have an opportunity to purchase a board. As for the numbers - I have no idea what I'm going to do about those - that was a terrible idea and for as many as were sold each would have to have it's own CAD file for it to be machined onto the weight.

This is the last update until after I recover from this next surgery.
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 December 2016, 12:12:26 by ninjadoc »

Offline nsmechkb

« Reply #2143 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 14:55:05 »
Thanks for the detailed update, ninjadoc.The work you've done to make this happen is amazing. Hope your surgery and recovery go as smoothly as possible. Best!

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #2144 on: Mon, 05 December 2016, 19:09:24 »

**** off

Offline lol

« Reply #2145 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 04:02:06 »
Well ****. I get the initial deposit numbers were more of a supportive thing than an engraving but to say that now not only is the guaranteed spot moot but that there is still a risk (even if small) you will lose that deposit money because you did not sell your spot...that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Hell, the whole problem has always been the price because it needs to be affordable for the x amount of unlimited possible people who may or may not buy it yet still appeal in design for these same mystery people. Why pander to this group at the cost of production time, design changes, risk of complete shut down, overall money lost, increased shipping logistics, and ultimately stress if it is not guaranteed funding towards a successful group buy? No wonder spots traded so much.

I'm not blaming anyone - I truly appreciate the efforts from the very beginning until now for this and I love the latest prototype. But all the sometimes questionable waiting and roller coaster rides I've had to experience in this "hobby" have yet to show it's worth the wait. 
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 December 2016, 04:05:44 by lol »

Offline oatmicro

« Reply #2146 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 04:26:40 »
I'm new for mira I need some quick answers cause this thread have too much page I can't read them all.

1.why this IC take a long time(almost 2 year).

2.if I didn't get a spot from this IC, is it possible to get any spot later when in became a groupbuy?

3.if all spots're only for depositors that's mean this thread is half IC half GB right?

4.if there're some normal spots in the future, when this the estimated time for entering a normal spots, not depositor spots.

Thanks you.

Offline ATXTider

• I keep it playa while some choose to play it safe
« Reply #2147 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 07:41:26 »

Please tell me know how this comment was constructive in any way, then let me know what happens if you research the history of this thread at all.

It wasn't.  I was in this "GB" on day one, so I know the history.  I have a mira sticker to prove it.

Offline fublamchu

• ㅋㅋㅋ
« Reply #2148 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 07:53:54 »
I'm new for mira I need some quick answers cause this thread have too much page I can't read them all.

1.why this IC take a long time(almost 2 year).

2.if I didn't get a spot from this IC, is it possible to get any spot later when in became a groupbuy?

3.if all spots're only for depositors that's mean this thread is half IC half GB right?

4.if there're some normal spots in the future, when this the estimated time for entering a normal spots, not depositor spots.

Thanks you.

In a previous post Ninjadoc said to stop selling spots and that you will most likely be able to get a board in the future (if I'm interpreting correctly)
LZ-CE VBlacks
910-CE

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #2149 on: Tue, 06 December 2016, 20:13:44 »
I'm so confused by this message I have to respond because I have no clue what you are trying to say.

Well ****. I get the initial deposit numbers were more of a supportive thing than an engraving but to say that now not only is the guaranteed spot moot but that there is still a risk (even if small) you will lose that deposit money because you did not sell your spot...that leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

What do you mean by this? Your deposit means if this is made you will get a MIRA if you pay for it. You will only lose your deposit if the Mira isn't produced by me. The guaranteed spot isn't moot and I don't understand what I said to make you think it is.

The numbers are a problem. I don't know if I can get then cut into the weight via CAD, stamped, or engraved. I will figure something out.

Hell, the whole problem has always been the price because it needs to be affordable for the x amount of unlimited possible people who may or may not buy it yet still appeal in design for these same mystery people. Why pander to this group at the cost of production time, design changes, risk of complete shut down, overall money lost, increased shipping logistics, and ultimately stress if it is not guaranteed funding towards a successful group buy? No wonder spots traded so much.

I will address the last part of this first. Spots are traded because of lack of interest, fear of the product not being produced, or cost constraints.

Price has always been an issue. I have to ask if you have read the whole thread? The American shop wanted $350 a piece for a MOQ 0f 200 units, unanodized, unfinished, without PCB. Do the math on that one.

Pandering toward a particular group of people - a survey of price was done. roughly there were two cutoffs - $400 -$425 about 40 people, $500 + about 30 - 40 people. Look at the custom boards sold as kits now. Do you see any $500 kits in a group buy? Those exist but I suspect you haven't been invited into them.

"the cost of production time, design changes, risk of complete shut down, overall money lost, increased shipping logistics, and ultimately stress if it is not guaranteed funding towards a successful group buy?"

I have called and visited multiple shops. I have been delayed over 6 months by someone who implied production in June. American facilities in general don't want a small batch like this. In Korea makers have friends in shops who can slide in 20 - 50 units. I have a Lin that only 20 were made. I have an LZ mini that I've only seen one of that someone claimed was common overseas but couldn't produce a picture. Production time is usually 90 days, design changes are needed to cut down costs - the back lip on the original Mira added 2 hours of machine time - per board.Money lost - hmm- I haven't counted the money I've spent so don't worry about money lost.

I'm not blaming anyone - I truly appreciate the efforts from the very beginning until now for this and I love the latest prototype. But all the sometimes questionable waiting and roller coaster rides I've had to experience in this "hobby" have yet to show it's worth the wait. 

The questionable waiting is not just due to me. Sometimes I've waited a month for response from helpers, machine shops, etc. I didn't start this group buy but I foolishly took it over but I certainly can't give you a reason why. Anything else I will hold off on till after this week. Hopefully this addressed your comments, several of which I still can't completely comprehend. Go to my profile, search for my posts in this thread, and I suspect all your concerns have been addressed previously.