Author Topic: Can we get some moderation please?  (Read 29061 times)

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
Can we get some moderation please?
« on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 15:20:12 »
I want to start out by saying, this is not directed at any particular person, but the moderation team in general.

It seems that we have one mod active these days.  Hoffman does a lot, and is a great member of the community, but he is one man.  To be honest, i'm not really sure who the other mods are.  I think User 18, HashBaz, but thats about all I know.

There has been a lot of complaints over ****posting lately.  Hoff has been the one posting about cleaning it up.  Hoff is always the one that we see as moderating the forum.  He can't do it all, and it shows.  The forum is steadily going down the drain.  We have trolls out the ass.  I like trolls, to a point, they make things entertaining.  But, when every single post is a troll, it gets slightly annoying.

I am not trying to tell the moderation team how to do their job, I know it is a lot of work.  All I am asking is that if it is too much work, make new mods or replace ones that no longer deserve it.

Additionally, If there is misinformation in my post, please inform me.  And I don't mean Hoffman.  We all know that he is the first one to step in and inform the community of what is happening.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Can we get some moderation please?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 15:23:17 »
I would agree that it seems like hoff does a lot of the moderation, which might be a lot of pressure on him.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 15:23:33 »
Got to agree, in this time where a lot of new members joined, some posts must be really off putting for newbies.
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 November 2015, 15:26:36 by azhdar »
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 15:27:21 »
I don't disagree.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 15:27:25 »
Dry snitching   

Nah but houf is a strong independent mod that don't need no man.
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 November 2015, 15:31:44 by demik »
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 15:29:57 »
I don't disagree.

Good to hear. Do you know if anyone is working on a solution?

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 15:31:11 »
I don't disagree either. Hoff is da real MVP.

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 15:35:08 »
Maybe give someone their own board in exchange for their services as backup mod across multiple boards. Relieve the pressure.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 15:37:10 »
To be clear, we do have other people contributing. I think Hoff and jwaz are the two main public faces of the forum leadership though.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 15:39:29 »
Yeah jwaz is always deleting my posts. All because I wouldn't go to a sideshow with him ;_;  told him I'm not thug enough for that

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 15:42:17 »
town biz!
welcome back deee-mik!
Radiers > 9ers :D

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 15:42:56 »
town biz!
welcome back deee-mik!
Radiers > 9ers :D

Show Image

Damn it digi. I'm still sensitive about my niners ;_;

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 15:44:15 »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 15:48:55 »
Reported for bullying

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 16:02:49 »
Maybe give someone their own board in exchange for their services as backup mod across multiple boards. Relieve the pressure.

Why would they need/want a board?  There are surely people here willing to donate their time for the good of the community - I know I would.

Moderating is a tough job though and not sure I could do it.  I mean moving misposted threads, approving classifieds, and banning/erasing newbie trolls is easy enough, but judging whether a post by an established member crosses the line when (I assume) someone reports it?  That's a tough call.
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 November 2015, 16:04:33 by suicidal_orange »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 16:03:57 »

Why would they need/want a board?  There are surely people here willing to donate their time for the good of the community - I know I would.

Moderating is a tough job though and not sure I'm up to it.  I mean moving misposted threads, approving classifieds, and banning/erasing newbie trolls is easy enough, but judging whether a post by an established member crosses the line when (I assume) someone reports it?  That's a tough call.

For precisely that reason. most people will not mod if not given some incentive.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 16:20:43 »

Moderating is a tough job though and not sure I'm up to it.  I mean moving misposted threads, approving classifieds, and banning/erasing newbie trolls is easy enough, but judging whether a post by an established member crosses the line when (I assume) someone reports it?  That's a tough call.

For precisely that reason. most people will not mod if not given some incentive.

I didn't say I wouldn't, I just meant that I'm not confident I'd do a good enough job and that would be kinda pointless.  It's not like you can go on a course and learn "forum moderation" either...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 16:22:01 »
+1

Almost at 50 posts guys

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 16:23:09 »

I didn't say I wouldn't, I just meant that I'm not confident I'd do a good enough job and that would be kinda pointless.  It's not like you can go on a course and learn "forum moderation" either...

If you've got the time, you should apply. I would except that procrastination is ruining my life and i promised myself I'd start extracting myself more from this virtual world.

And BTW, the fact that you care about doing a good job and making the right decision tells me you'd probably be a good mod.

Offline whmeltonjr

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 16:29:19 »
I used to mod a golf forum. It wasn't so bad, but it just depends how many trolls there are. As forums grow you inevitably gain more trolls unfortunately. It all depends on how mods handle the trolls. Sometimes it's better to just ban them completely and be done with it. I see some accounts here that wouldn't have lasted long on other forums I used to frequent, but every place is different though.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 16:52:30 »

If you've got the time, you should apply. I would except that procrastination is ruining my life and i promised myself I'd start extracting myself more from this virtual world.

And BTW, the fact that you care about doing a good job and making the right decision tells me you'd probably be a good mod.

I don't know if anyone is still looking at those applications.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 19:40:58 »
+1

Almost at 50 posts guys

Aren't we all still in timeout?

Anyway a list of moderators and admins is here.

And if you want to help Hoff and the others, you can apply to become a moderator yourself.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 20:18:18 »

I don't know if anyone is still looking at those applications.

We are. Though, for the very reasons outlined in the OP, you may as well just PM myself or jwaz. I rarely check the mod team account since I prefer to not use it (if someone has a beef with what I've done I don't want them to think I'm hiding behind that account).

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 20:33:53 »
I've thought about applying but I'm honestly not sure how I would have handled some of the recent situations where mods stepped in, and that makes me think I'm not cut out for it.

Then again, maybe there's need for moderation for some of the simpler stuff that would just free up guys like Hoff and jwaz to handle the tough calls.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 21:02:42 »

I've thought about applying but I'm honestly not sure how I would have handled some of the recent situations where mods stepped in, and that makes me think I'm not cut out for it.

Then again, maybe there's need for moderation for some of the simpler stuff that would just free up guys like Hoff and jwaz to handle the tough calls.

This is exactly, 100% my feelings. I'm happy to help out but feel I'm not as good in handling some situations/personalities as existing mods. But I can do menial labor moderation of called upon.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 21:11:30 »
demik for mod late 2015

Offline neverused

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 21:20:03 »
demik for mod late 2015
+1

Watch it burn.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 07 November 2015, 21:20:28 »
ayyyy

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 20:42:50 »
Moderate my ****, *****es.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 20:45:18 »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 20:47:56 »

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 20:55:15 »
Oh we have moderation. Just as I hit "post" in the What's Bothering You thread that **** got locked again:rolleyes:

Goddammit guys.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 20:55:48 »
Oh we have moderation. Just as I hit "post" in the What's Bothering You thread that **** got locked again:rolleyes:

Goddammit guys.

Sorry bud. :`\

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 21:02:28 »

Goddammit guys.

sorry about that, if you wanna talk about it just shoot me a PM

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 21:04:32 »

Goddammit guys.

both of you guys can cry on my shoulder too, PM pls

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 21:05:07 »

Goddammit guys.

dear bee,

no

love,
demik

Offline R1N3

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 21:05:48 »

Goddammit guys.

PM shot, resond at your leisure.

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 21:08:03 »

Goddammit guys.

Took a break from gaming and got to see a good chunk of it through Spy. I ain't even mad.
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 08 November 2015, 23:40:56 »
since this forum is archaic and nothing ever changes i'm sure there's plenty of moderation but only 3 people hitting the report button

cause that's how it was 18 months ago and i'm sure that's how it is now

not that i'm complaining, i like most of the mods
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 00:58:20 »
Good job who ever locked that thread again, top tier moderating. It's really working too, no need to mute the people causing issues when locking that thread solves the problem.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 01:16:27 »
Good job who ever locked that thread again, top tier moderating. It's really working too, no need to mute the people causing issues when locking that thread solves the problem.

pm jwaz and cry to him

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 03:29:52 »
Seeing as how the bothered thread is locked, I'll just mention that the cicadas have just started up for this season.  Loud little bastards.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 08:27:09 »

Can we nominate njbair as mod?

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 08:32:53 »

Can we nominate njbair as mod?

nah, I choose baldgye

Offline osi

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 09:07:00 »
<3 Hoff

Offline MeltingTeeth

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 09:19:25 »
since this forum is archaic and nothing ever changes i'm sure there's plenty of moderation but only 3 people hitting the report button

cause that's how it was 18 months ago and i'm sure that's how it is now

not that i'm complaining, i like most of the mods

I can tell you my post count never changes.

So much for me ever selling in Classifieds or ever buying a BroCap.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 09:27:05 »

Your post count isn't changing because people have been spamming the **** out of the board trying to get to 50 posts. This  has been discussed multiple times now. No one's post count in changing in most areas of the forum. I do not disagree with this approach since it was completely out of control for a while there. I'm sure it will return to normal once things calm down.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 09 November 2015, 12:26:29 »

Your post count isn't changing because people have been spamming the **** out of the board trying to get to 50 posts. This  has been discussed multiple times now. No one's post count in changing in most areas of the forum. I do not disagree with this approach since it was completely out of control for a while there. I'm sure it will return to normal once things calm down.
So let's punish all for the rules of somebody else. Great approach mods.