Author Topic: Is it possible to create a topic notification?  (Read 10006 times)

Offline Special K

Is it possible to create a topic notification?
« on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 11:06:05 »
Maybe I missed something, but is it possible to create a topic alert notification that will email me whenever a topic is created that contains certain words in the subject and/or body?
Filco FKBN104MC/EB
Filco FKBN104M/EB2
IBM Model M 1391401 - 11/13/87

Quote from: ripster
LOL - we're on post #163 of this mega-thread and you've gone from"keyboard n00b" to "keyboard sn0b".  We've done our job.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: Is it possible to create a topic notification?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 17:58:35 »
Maybe I missed something, but is it possible to create a topic alert notification that will email me whenever a topic is created that contains certain words in the subject and/or body?

You can create notifications for subforums, which will send an email when a topic is created within that subforum.  Unfortunately I am not aware of any way to create notifications based on the content of a thread title, whether that be within a specific subforum or site-wide.

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 21:38:06 »
I don't know of a way to do it within the forum but I know a way to do it through google. If you go to https://www.google.com/alerts you can put in what you want to receive an alert about. So for example if you want to get alerts about group buy related content on geekhack you can type "site:geekhack.org group buy" and that should email you alerts on a daily basis or depending on your options. Hope that helps.

IBM Model M            Fjell 002           Klippe            KC60           Planck

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 14:49:56 »
I don't know of a way to do it within the forum but I know a way to do it through google. If you go to https://www.google.com/alerts you can put in what you want to receive an alert about. So for example if you want to get alerts about group buy related content on geekhack you can type "site:geekhack.org group buy" and that should email you alerts on a daily basis or depending on your options. Hope that helps.

Will this only search the subject though?  I could see a lot of false positives from people talking about where they got their keycaps - "Oh, from such and such group buy".  Or would that not trigger the alert?  I'm not familiar with google alerts.

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 03:23:01 »
Will this only search the subject though?  I could see a lot of false positives from people talking about where they got their keycaps - "Oh, from such and such group buy".  Or would that not trigger the alert?  I'm not familiar with google alerts.

Totally missed your reply. Yea you'll probably get some false positives but they way they are displayed you can probably skim through the results and ignore the false positives relatively fast.

IBM Model M            Fjell 002           Klippe            KC60           Planck