Author Topic: RGB color easiest on eyes?  (Read 32995 times)

Offline typo

RGB color easiest on eyes?
« on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 01:36:55 »
Anyone suggest a color that is very easy on the eyes in the dark? If you can supply the 3 numbers that would be great. Obviously White is most standard but I was thinking perhaps lavender or light pink? Do not even know if that is good containing red. What would you guy's suggest? I can match my board, rodent and case Hooray!

Offline JianYang

Re: RGB color easiest on eyes?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 03:33:03 »
605nm orange

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 07:05:56 »
It could be any color you like,  as long as it's Dark enough, it'll be easy on the eyes..

Offline typo

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 17:14:01 »
No I find dark but very saturated such as dark purple very bad. Nice joke on the Orange. I am going with medium Lavender.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 18:08:39 »
Orange is no joke. Longer wavelengths / "warmer" colours are easier on the eyes.

I would suggest "warm white" or rather unsaturated orange.

Offline JianYang

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 00:47:16 »
No I find dark but very saturated such as dark purple very bad. Nice joke on the Orange. I am going with medium Lavender.

Ooh, please explain the joke to me too. Unless it was the part about the wavelength. 605nm orange is the wavelength that was used in old BMWs, I am not sure if it is still in use. But it causes least glare. Blue and UV colors cause glare in the lens of the eye, so best stay away from them. In fact, with RGB you want the B LED to be completely off, so that means lavender is off the table. On a side note - getting true 605nm LEDs is quite a bit more expensive than other LEDs (at least last time I checked).

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 01:15:09 »
Avoid blue and anything close to it, such as purple.
Blue and ultraviolet are actually towards the same end of the spectrum (shorter wavelengths) and contain more energy, one causes cancer the other causes macular degeneration.

That glare JianYang spoke of is why older cars had orange instrumentation (YES!) and had yellow FOG lights. The yellow light cuts through the fog without reflecting back at you like modern ultra white bulbs do. I laugh every time I see someone with super bright blue-ish headlights because in the fog you may as well just turn the damn things off.

As for red...
Red light doesn't cause pupil dilation, aircraft (at least older fighters and bombers) use red lamps because they can read a map or instructions/log books etc and then look back out the windows and still see.  Why or how we lost this, I have no idea, modern dashboards are terrible for this, I'm always dimming them in rental cars.

By the way, while ultraviolet is bad, your eyes actually have a natural defense for it, unlike visible blue light, which you are supposed to see. This actually makes blue light more dangerous for your eyes while ultraviolet is worse for the rest of you. Science!
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 June 2018, 01:18:19 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Altis

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 20:18:34 »
Red.

Though I will add that if you're staring into a monitor in an environment that's so dark, you have to worry about backlighting at all (let alone the colour), it's hard on the eyes.

Your space should be well lit enough around the monitor that backlighting is purely cosmetic, for the sake of your eyes.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline typo

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 01:12:48 »
Thanks Guy's. I thought you meant orange like the sun. My bad. I may go with red. In fact today in the most modern US Air Force planes much of the instrumentation is red. It was said in regard to keyboards many times red makes one drowsy. I doubt they are trying to make Fighter Pilots drowsy. Not swapping LEDS. So the palette I have but red actually sounds good after everyone said it is so bad. It simply would not make sense the Military of all people, Very dim of course. Just like the planes. I can't really think of a better color. White on a RGB board really already is Lavender anyways.  White is just too bright/bothersome to me. I am not lazy or uneducated using a backlit board. I was a great typist. Still coding. Mainly because I enjoy to. I became severely disabled later in life. I went from 200+ WPM 99% accuracy to 30WPM gibberish. They called me typo before they knew I was actually sick. I said this before but just in case. I know ordinarily no one wants a backlit keyboard I mean. Although some Korean customs are nice IMO>

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 02:02:27 »
My preference is for white lighting.  Red is easy on the eyes.
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline haanuman

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 01:12:40 »
I am good with red or green, it does matter person to person but red would be ideal I guess.

Offline SingSong

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 18:48:59 »
In my old astronomy class we used only red flashlights so our night vision wouldn't be affected.

I don't know why so many computer peripherals like to use blue LEDs, they're too damn bright and hurt my eyes.

Offline Senthura

• Your Doom
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 01:44:33 »
In my old astronomy class we used only red flashlights so our night vision wouldn't be affected.

I don't know why so many computer peripherals like to use blue LEDs, they're too damn bright and hurt my eyes.

I’m not great on red but orange is ok. I figure it’s just me and my messed up eyesight but green actually works really well for me but not a bright one.
Ducky Shine 3 TKL Blue switch & Green backlight

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 24 July 2018, 03:01:16 »
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 July 2018, 05:13:28 by Giorgio »

Offline redleaf

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 02:15:44 »
Orange for me

Offline aya3154

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 04 August 2018, 10:33:48 »
Red is my RGB color even though most of my set up is monochrome, its just soothing on the eyes

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 04 August 2018, 13:08:00 »
How is Black not the Easiest on the eye..

Even if Red has special properties relative to other illuminants,  Black (Nothing) is still by far MOST relaxing no ?

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 04 August 2018, 15:18:58 »
How is Black not the Easiest on the eye..

Even if Red has special properties relative to other illuminants,  Black (Nothing) is still by far MOST relaxing no ?

Black... like my di.....soul.

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 05 August 2018, 00:27:42 »
I find that brightness overall matters most to me, not hue. Though I agree that reddish hues are naturally less irritating (see darkrooms) just having a lowered brightness helps a great deal to make the light not distracting, especially since I am sensitive to the, what I guess to be, PWM type flicker that gives strobe-like tracers when moving my eyes.

I always keep my mouse built in leds on, but at a low brightness and it actually serves a very useful function as being, essentially, the power LED for my computer. I can just glance at it when needed and it's never distracting even considering that currently I have only blue led lighting there.

. Getting the light at the minimum brightness while still being usable seems to be the best "design" for RGB lighting that is missed in reviews and promotions where they seem to assume that RGB lighting is or must always be very bright to be worthwhile for use or generate more sales. LED lighting can be very useful and not just there to make your workstation look like a gamer carnival attraction. (This could also be very useful on routers to make them not unnecessarily light up a bedroom causing one to have to put black tape over the lights, losing ALL functionality)

Also, just as a creative thought experiment, imagine how some tasteful low brightness white leds could accent something like a mac. I could see a low level white glowing backlight apple keyboard adding much to luxurious feel while adding actual practical use. A reality though is that you'd probably need replace thinness obsessed Jony Ive since he apparently can't come up with much more than the aesthetic apple has been using for well over a decade now and leds might seem like a "far out" concept to him. You know, those "crazy" leds might add 1mm thickness so "can't have that".
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 August 2018, 01:01:36 by ThoughtArtist »

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 05 August 2018, 02:33:41 »
BEST RGB COLOR IS rgb(0,0,0) :p. or dark red.

Offline JianYang

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 05 August 2018, 03:01:39 »
BEST RGB COLOR IS rgb(0,0,0) :p. or dark red.

I like the way you think. I hate direct light sources (other than the screen).

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 05 August 2018, 04:42:42 »
I use a light blue color for my desk. It's quite nice.

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 04 September 2018, 11:16:45 »
I know I'm posting a month after the latest post and hopefully you found a color range that you enjoy. I'm giving my two cents anyway...what evs.

Like a lot of peeps are saying in here, stay away from the shorter wavelength colors (blue, indigo, violet). That being said, yellow and green, which are at the top of the visible spectrum bell curve, are easiest for our eyes to see and process. Maybe try a dimmed yellow, gold, or green. But if you're going for night vision-safe, go with red. I think trying to base your ambient color on retaining night vision is fruitless since you'll be staring into a full-spectrum monitor, anyway.  :cool:
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]