Author Topic: Wrist rest or no writest rest? + keyboard legs extended or laying flat?  (Read 26715 times)

Offline mrsone

• Recovering Rubber Dome User
Wrist rest or no writest rest? + keyboard legs extended or laying flat?
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 26 July 2011, 12:59:58 »
Just for kicks and giggles I angled the keyboard up (still using the rest) and I found that with the keyboard angled up my right hand moves less when I try to type anything with a "y" in it. That aspect is a little more comfortable but overall I am still more used to typing with the legs down. I read somewhere that it depends on the height of the keyboard relative to your elbows or something. Basically, if the surface of your desk is high, then you are supposed to use the legs, but if the surface of your desk is low, then it is supposed to be flat. To each his or her own, I guess. (Just don't get RSI.)
Keyboards currently in my possession:
Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Brown 104 key, Unicomp Spacesaver 104, Rosewill RK-9000RE (Cherry MX Red), Leopold 660C Mini Capacitive keyboard, HHKB Type S, Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

Keypads:
Leopold 210TP Mechanical Keypad (Cherry MX Red), Leopold FC210TP/NB Mechanical Keypad (Cherry MX Brown)

Other Keyboards I have tried:
Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Red, Leopold  FC500RR/AB Linear Touch Cherry MX Red, Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition, Realforce 103U/UB, Realforce 103U Black All 55g, Noppoo Choc Mini 84 Mechanical Cherry MX Black keyboard, Noppoo Choc Mini 84 Mechanical Cherry MX Red keyboard (white and black color versions), PLU G3000 NKRO keyboard (white w/ Cherry MX Red switches), Dell 101AT (black Alps switches), Mattias Mini Quiet Pro (modified white Alps switches), KBT Pure Pro, (2)Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2, Leopold FC210TP/CB Tactile Click Cherry MX Blue Tenkey pad

Offline spitfire6000

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 26 July 2011, 15:09:17 »
Quote from: ripster;387483
Do you adjust the angle with a boner?

Aww yea...nothing is more pleasurable than the sliding and pinging/vibrations of a black switch filco key bottoming out on a steel backplate...ohhh yeaaa.....^_^

Offline AUAnonymous

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 26 July 2011, 15:14:07 »
No rest, no legs for me. I find that a wrist rest doesn't make too much of a difference for me, it's just that most of the keyboards I use don't have them.
Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Blacks) - First mechanical keyboard :D
Why don\'t you give Colemak a try? You\'ll like it, I promise.*

*Not a real promise

Offline junkyardcat

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 02:54:18 »
Quote from: spitfire6000;378799
nice post! I didn't know that its best to have the keyboard tilted DOWNWARDS! it makes sense though.
How come there are no keyboards that let you tild them downwards away from you? The keyboard legs being on the far end seems to be totally against what that webpage is saying.

Yes, I never did resort to using the feet on the keyboards because I thought they would tilt the keyboard in the wrong direction :)

Quote from: spitfire6000;381241
TIME FOR A CURVE BALL!!!
Many times, the GREATEST of all positions i think, is to take the keyboard entirely off the desk and have it flat on your lap. typing that way.

Tried this recently in my quest for the perfect ahem the viable ergonomics. The height could be OK, the big problem is to keep the keyboard steady on the lap. Still researching a solution to this problem, though.

Quote from: Bry;387546
This, except I like to have a low desk with the keyboard and mouse on it and my monitors sitting on risers. I suppose if I had a tray that was very sturdy then I would probably be happy with that, but all the trays I've used are cheap wobbly things. Doesnt matter if you have a $150 keyboard built solid as a tank, if you put it on a flimsy plastic thing that wobbles around, it still feels like **** to me.

I second that (keyboard on the desk and risers for the monitors or laptop), but sometimes have to find other solutions, like when there's no proper desk, or I cannot adjust the height of the chair etc.

Quote from: TheGreatAmphibianPling;378362
Hand position is what counts, not what the hand is resting on - in fact it shouldn't be resting on anything while you are typing:

I'm pretty sure that the light RSI I'm suffering from (ok, let's not be a sissy : I'm slightly annoyed with) comes from working exclusively on laptops for the last few years. I did rest the palms on the laptop while typing, and it indeed felt comfortable.

Quote from: TheGreatAmphibianPling;378362
As for the keyboard legs, desk height, etc - everything should be tweaked to get you that neutral hand position.

That's my quest today :)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
They drew first blood, not me - John Rambo

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 27 July 2011, 03:24:38 »
i use a keyboard tray+wrist rest+flat
or
wrist rest+flat
or
SteelSeries 7G+included wrist rest (i add this separatly because i dont know where it lies...)
and sadly
HHKB Pro 2 flat (i refuse to pay $112 for a wrist rest)

Update: now have wrist rest for HHKB Pro 2. ended up modifying one to fit my needs.
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 August 2011, 05:51:31 by TheProfosist »