Author Topic: [IC] GMK Nordic Pine - Green Tea inspired, reasonable cost, high compatibility  (Read 34645 times)

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
I like the direction. The green alphas might be a little hard to make out in harsh light but count me interested overall.

harsh light? what're you, doing work in hell? or at a rave? at a solar power plant?

Offline Khers

• Schrödinger's box
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:39:50 by Khers »

Offline My_Thoughts

- Winkey - I also don't like the Win10 logo, but I think it is one of those things where a small percentage really object to it while most others are neutral or mildly in favor. Informal poll: would people prefer Win10, Win98, a custom logo (e.g. stylized pine tree - extra cost for custom mold), CODE, or blank?

I love blanks for those keys.  Custom logo or CODE would also be good

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
if you make it green on beige alphas im backing out. its been done already and this set is unique as it is.

- Winkey - I also don't like the Win10 logo, but I think it is one of those things where a small percentage really object to it while most others are neutral or mildly in favor. Informal poll: would people prefer Win10, Win98, a custom logo (e.g. stylized pine tree - extra cost for custom mold), CODE, or blank?

I love blanks for those keys.  Custom logo or CODE would also be good

win 98 is nice. win 10 is fine as well. idc really.

Offline Tobi45

Personally I have nothing against the win 10 logo, I'd just like a custom molded Pinecone (or something similar) as an eyecatcher, just like the "cha" character was for Green Tea. Pad printed would be okay too, as long as it (the pad-printing) has a different colour than the other mods, as the different states of decay on my OG skidata look horrible.
(Ctrl will likely stay the same - just personal preference, unless more folks would prefer the full Control)
I actually prefer Control as well, at least for cherry-profile. It is no big deal for me though.
I know it's a long shot, but maybe you could include both, the excess one can be used on (Sky) Dolch  :D.

- How would folks feel about losing the green-primary arrows
Do not care, as I'll use it on a 60% keyboard anyway
"dolch-lite with bright green uniform legends"
I feel like we need an own GB for that, as it sounds delicious, but very different to the current render (which looks great also)

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
CODE or blank are my preference.

For the HHKB layout, split right shift is kinda necessary.

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body
i prefer to AE or other green "CODE" legend in black

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread

Why CODE in black it would just look off and out of place with the set?

Offline shower_king

• Pain is weakness leaving your body

Why CODE in black it would just look off and out of place with the set?
just from my pointview.
AE or N7 green "code" or "pine" legend in U9 color  will conrresponding with other keys  in R4 ROW with AE green in U9
or
u9 "code" or "pine" legend in AE or N7 green will stand out in R4 row keys
both is ok ,just my opinion .

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
Would like it if the alphas were the same colour as the mods

Offline WNovizar

Still no 75% compatibility? Will the renders updated later?
I like mechanical keyboards

Offline wilarseny

Still no 75% compatibility? Will the renders updated later?

Yes, was waiting a couple days for reactions to the proposed changes from the last page before I sent a list to GMK.

Keep in mind that renders from GMK often take a while, even when there is an existing render to work from.

CODE or blank are my preference.

For the HHKB layout, split right shift is kinda necessary.

The split right shift is already in there - that's not changing. Lots of layouts need that key. The question on the last page was just whether to add the other HHKB-specific keys for which there's already an appropriate size/profile key - e.g. having a 1.5u r2 backspace when the pipe/backslash key exists. I will be adding a 1u R4 fn key, though.

Personally I have nothing against the win 10 logo, I'd just like a custom molded Pinecone (or something similar) as an eyecatcher, just like the "cha" character was for Green Tea. Pad printed would be okay too, as long as it (the pad-printing) has a different colour than the other mods, as the different states of decay on my OG skidata look horrible.
(Ctrl will likely stay the same - just personal preference, unless more folks would prefer the full Control)
I actually prefer Control as well, at least for cherry-profile. It is no big deal for me though.
I know it's a long shot, but maybe you could include both, the excess one can be used on (Sky) Dolch  :D.

- How would folks feel about losing the green-primary arrows
Do not care, as I'll use it on a 60% keyboard anyway
"dolch-lite with bright green uniform legends"
I feel like we need an own GB for that, as it sounds delicious, but very different to the current render (which looks great also)

Thanks for this post, appreciate the feedback. I also like using winkey for custom set logos, it's just a cost question. It's something we'll investigate. I'm a little resistant to pad printing it for the decay reasons you state - I have a pad-printed GMK cyrillic set that is showing significant wear after not a ton of use - but if it's cheap enough, we could have a pad printed logo win key along with the normal doubleshot windows-logo one.

Sounds like most are in favor of Control with few agreeing w/ my Ctrl preference, so that'll change too.

I am curious for more feedback on the arrow color question from those who'll be using the set w/ the arrow keys. Personally, I prefer the N7/AE arrows over the N7/N9 ones, but it feels odd having that few non-alpha keys in the alpha colorway.

Yea, that would be something to do in another IC. FWIW, I'd buy the crap out of that set.

Offline harlw

I dig
Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
I love this keycap set. Those green looks so nice. I'm in for this!

Offline dfrib

I'm very interested of this one.
2x Hypersphered Novatouch TKL, Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (Browns)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
It is a shame it does not have HHKB layout support.

Offline kawasaki161

"dolch-lite with bright green uniform legends" a la sky dolch,

I want something like that sooo much. Anyone please inform me when something like that happens

Offline mr.squishy

• I like beer and keebs
I'd buy, but I wish Planck compatibility was possible. Other than that I love it.

Offline Bumbibear

oooo very interesting! will definitely want the Nordic feel for my boards!
Ducky Shine 3 TKL ISO
Soon: LeandreN GB 4 60% - Sentraq 78%

Offline Tobi45

Is anything happening behind the scenes?

Offline SBeaver

If this ISO-Nordic addon is really happening, I hope it's done right and not just as an afterthought with just a few keys.
The difference between ISO-UK and ISO-Nordic is very large. I did a quick comparision and on the alphanumeric keys alone the difference is 20 keys, and that is not including if you have UK-ISO with some accented third layer alphas. I don't know how common that is.

Also a suggestion, if all ISOs have this, add a third layer legend for µ on M key, that would be nice.

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
Watching this thread and IN for a set when it's ready!

Offline Acerk

• I pay attention to details!
Cool concept. Is there any interest for something like the color pack in Ivan's Dolch group buy? I think it would be nice to spice it up a little, without adding tons of keys.

Please don't add ISO-Nordic support. Too few people to justify everyone paying more.
« Last Edit: Wed, 27 July 2016, 10:46:55 by Acerk »

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
hey dude whats good with this set? been over a month since op last reply

Offline ctrlX

Please don't add ISO-Nordic support. Too few people to justify everyone paying more.

I disagree. Adding Nordic keys would bring something different and an uniqueness to the set. It is not called Nordic Pine for nothing. Just like Cyrillic is considered in the Yuri SA set.

I am from Sweden so naturally I am a little bit biased. Still I stand behind my statement above and truly believe in it. Just as I want both Japanese and Korean sets.

Offline Acerk

I disagree. Adding Nordic keys would bring something different and an uniqueness to the set. It is not called Nordic Pine for nothing. Just like Cyrillic is considered in the Yuri SA set.

I am from Sweden so naturally I am a little bit biased. Still I stand behind my statement above and truly believe in it. Just as I want both Japanese and Korean sets.
There's an easy way to test for that. Has there ever been a successful group buy with nordic keys? No. Imsto couldn't even reach an MOQ of 20 (if I remember the number correctly) buyers for his last group buy. Comparatively, there's always been a lot of interest in Cyrillic, Japanese and Korean sets and plenty of successful group buys. This makes sense, because all three are exotic, but also still have US legends.

Offline ctrlX

There's an easy way to test for that. Has there ever been a successful group buy with nordic keys? No. Imsto couldn't even reach an MOQ of 20 (if I remember the number correctly) buyers for his last group buy. Comparatively, there's always been a lot of interest in Cyrillic, Japanese and Korean sets and plenty of successful group buys. This makes sense, because all three are exotic, but also still have US legends.
Sooner or later there must be a first ;)

Given the theme of the set, a Nordic kit might pull through. If MOQ is not met for the kit, then so be it and it can be pulled back. I do not understand how this would  cost the other buyers more money. I might completely wrong on this of course.

Offline pomk

IMSTO is producing the swedish keys, making your point moot. Besides, adding the nordic keys adds the same amount to the set as ansi support  ;)

Would be fun to see if nordic+german set could be made. By dropping ansi support completely and sticking to the basics the price would be around 90$.

Offline KyleZhuang

I love the colorway. Will the GB run by MD?
REALFORCE 104 Pro-30

Offline Acerk

Sooner or later there must be a first ;)

Given the theme of the set, a Nordic kit might pull through. If MOQ is not met for the kit, then so be it and it can be pulled back. I do not understand how this would  cost the other buyers more money. I might completely wrong on this of course.
People have been saying that for years now. If the plan is to add extra keys with nordic characters, that is an added cost. If the plan is to just not include all US characters, then alright.

IMSTO is producing the swedish keys, making your point moot. Besides, adding the nordic keys adds the same amount to the set as ansi support  ;)

Would be fun to see if nordic+german set could be made. By dropping ansi support completely and sticking to the basics the price would be around 90$.
I didn't know the Swedish set made it through. That's interesting, but doesn't quite make my point moot. The interest was still pretty low, and it's been that way for European sets for a long time. I actually agree that I think it would be better to drop ANSI support entirely. That way, the set can be kept cheap by not trying to be everything to everyone, and it will have the best chance possible to succeed. I'm somewhat skeptical, because people tend to complain that a set doesn't match all their requirements.

Offline nicx

This would look amazing on a wooden board.

Offline Edde

I'll definitely be interested in getting this if there will be some way of getting nordic keys.

Offline My_Thoughts

If ansi is dropped could UK ISO be included?  That might increase sales with a small bump in costs

Offline Edde

I'm wondering if it might be possible to only have ISO-uk and ISO-nordic and skip the alt gr layer in order to keep down the cost? Considering that there's already green tea for ANSI users. I'm guessing the GB won't happen though, would be nice with a nordic gmk set.

Offline Vigrith

Not a big fan of green usually but the set looks beautiful + the fact that it'll actually be held within the EU and all the taxing (or lack thereof) that it entails is very captivating - very likely going to be picking it up once/when it becomes available for purchase.

Offline My_Thoughts

After reading this thread, other threads and posts on reddit I wonder if it's time to do a UK/DE/Nordic GMK set.  Skip the ANSI unless there is great demand for it. 

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
After reading this thread, other threads and posts on reddit I wonder if it's time to do a UK/DE/Nordic GMK set.  Skip the ANSI unless there is great demand for it. 

this. i'm a north american ansi user, and i would buy that set just for the novelty

Offline pomk

I don't think that keeping UK in the kit is really worth it. UK ISO has more keys in common with ANSI than with DE/Nordic combined. I haven't counted them, but I approximate it would be around 15 keys to add it. With 15 keys we could rather add maybe 2-3 other languages that do not have GMK kits coming in once in a month.

Offline Edde

I don't think that keeping UK in the kit is really worth it. UK ISO has more keys in common with ANSI than with DE/Nordic combined. I haven't counted them, but I approximate it would be around 15 keys to add it. With 15 keys we could rather add maybe 2-3 other languages that do not have GMK kits coming in once in a month.
Having only a DE/Nordic GMK set will probably make it very hard to reach MOQ, maybe it might be possible if multiple forums are reached out to. It will probably be better to add ANSI-us instead of removing ISO-uk.

Personally I'd have standard ANSI-us and ISO-uk and make a very simple support for FR/SP/IT/DE/Nordic by removing the shift layer for the number keys as well as adding the å/ä/ö/ü/ø/æ/y/z/w/m/ñ/a/q/</,/./- keys along with a few blanks for the other not as commonly used keys. That would mean support for 8 extra languages by adding around 30 or 17 keys, depending on whether or not blanks are added. You could possibly add enough blank keys to make support both for the other languages as well as something like planck, that way some ansi users won't have to pay for too many keys that are unnecessary for them.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 August 2016, 09:37:22 by Edde »

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???

Without ANSI and ISO-UK support, I would not participate, since those are the two layouts I use. IMO leaving out those two layouts will make this set appeal only to non-English speaking populations and will make it challenging to meet GMK's MOQ
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline pomk

Having only a DE/Nordic GMK set will probably make it very hard to reach MOQ, maybe it might be possible if multiple forums are reached out to. It will probably be better to add ANSI-us instead of removing ISO-uk.

Personally I'd have standard ANSI-us and ISO-uk and make a very simple support for FR/SP/IT/DE/Nordic by removing the shift layer for the number keys as well as adding the å/ä/ö/ü/ø/æ/y/z/w/m/ñ/a/q/</,/./- keys along with a few blanks for the other not as commonly used keys. That would mean support for 8 extra languages by adding around 30 or 17 keys, depending on whether or not blanks are added. You could possibly add enough blank keys to make support both for the other languages as well as something like planck, that way some ansi users won't have to pay for too many keys that are unnecessary for them.

We'd have to poll this, but I find it more likely that we can sell 150 kits to Germany and the nordics with the correct glyphs at under 100$ than something half assed for the whole world at 150-200$. People are already hesitant on adding even basic ISO support to their sets for just one layout because of additional cost to ANSI users (carbon etc.). Also I'm not aware that GMK has monolegends available (could be wrong though!) and the cost of additional molds (around 25 for full mono legends) would probably take the set way over 150$. Regarding blanks, I'd rather use blanks exclusively than sprinkled midst proper looking keys.

One way to get over this problem would be to split the set to three. a basic set with common keys between ANSI/UK and NorDe and two separate sets one with the rest of ANSI/UK keys and the other one with just NorDe keys. That way The price would not be bloated for either party and the MoQ would stay the same anyway for the 'more likely to succeed' ANSI set. Then if we get enough ISO buyers we could hit better price tiers for the basic set making the set cheaper for all.

One could even bundle the more America -oriented additional keys, like those for the HHKB and FC660 layouts, to the ANSI/UK set only and thus keep the basic+NorDe as a very cheap set.
« Last Edit: Thu, 25 August 2016, 10:18:02 by pomk »

Offline Edde

We'd have to poll this, but I find it more likely that we can sell 150 kits to Germany and the nordics with the correct glyphs at under 100$ than something half assed for the whole world at 150-200$. People are already hesitant on adding even basic ISO support to their sets for just one layout because of additional cost to ANSI users (carbon etc.). Also I'm not aware that GMK has monolegends available (could be wrong though!) and the cost of additional molds (around 25 for full mono legends) would probably take the set way over 150$. Regarding blanks, I'd rather use blanks exclusively than sprinkled midst proper looking keys.

One way to get over this problem would be to split the set to three. a basic set with common keys between ANSI/UK and NorDe and two separate sets one with the rest of ANSI/UK keys and the other one with just NorDe keys. That way The price would not be bloated for either party and the MoQ would stay the same anyway for the 'more likely to succeed' ANSI set. Then if we get enough ISO buyers we could hit better price tiers for the basic set making the set cheaper for all.

One could even bundle the more America -oriented additional keys, like those for the HHKB and FC660 layouts, to the ANSI/UK set only and thus keep the basic+NorDe as a very cheap set.

That's true, mainly I tried to give some ideas on how it could be done. However, the keys should be kept to one set as I don't think the MOQ will be met otherwise.

Offline My_Thoughts

UK ISO also does not have GMK sets every month.  Yes there are sets with ISO enter and left shift but the other keys are often not included.  With the 150 MOQ, including UK ISO will increase sales. 

Offline Mansen

• Tweak.dk
Nordic layout AND shipping within the EU? I am definitely interested. Finally something that doesn't require Massdrop shipping from the US. :)

Offline Giorgio

For ISO you need to add one 1u R3 key (on the right of the .).
Also, would be interesting to have g80-1800 compatibility, which comes in the form of seven 1u caps, and a 6.25 spacebar.

Offline KlarKuo

Wonder how the green on grey will actually look in real life

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder

Offline Giorgio

Show Image

Ooh, pretty...

Not my picture :-) but soon will be mine, beige and black

Offline Bumbibear

Re: [IC] GMK Nordic Pine - Green Tea inspired, reasonable cost, high compatibility
« Reply #98 on: Thu, 15 September 2016, 14:42:39 »
Any news for this IC ?

Too low interest?
Ducky Shine 3 TKL ISO
Soon: LeandreN GB 4 60% - Sentraq 78%

Offline bbmathlvr

Re: [IC] GMK Nordic Pine - Green Tea inspired, reasonable cost, high compatibility
« Reply #99 on: Thu, 15 September 2016, 21:25:58 »
Beautiful set. I like it much more than the green tea!
Probably TeX'ing right now.