Author Topic: Resell value on a Das Keyboard  (Read 1913 times)

Offline kingqway

Resell value on a Das Keyboard
« on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 15:16:49 »
Hi again Geekhack,

I've been looking around on the forums for anything on das keyboards and their resell value, and I haven't really found anything. To be more precise, most people on mechanical keyboard forums would rather get their hands on a filco, leopold, poker, or something along those lines. I have a Das Keyboard Silent (MX Brown), and I've gotten a couple keyboards that I like in terms of feel and such, more so than the Das. (I have a white TKL filco blue in the mail, & Leopold brown in repair [thx elitekeyboards for fixing that -_-]). So I've been looking to see how others sell their Das, and it seems like people don't really want them unless their prices drop really low.

TL;DR: How much would you sell a 2-3 month old, das keyboard with mx browns, either to your friends @ home or online. The condition itself is pretty good, as I wash my hands anytime before I go on the computer. I replaced a couple keys but I still have the old ones as well.

Thanks for reading.
Das Professional Silent || White Filco TKL MX Blue || Leopold FC500R MX Brown

Offline csm725

• I BLEED RED AND GOLD
    • http://csm725.com
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 15:19:13 »
If I WERE interested in a Das I wouldn't pay more than 90-100USD shipped, and that may be stretching it.

Offline kingqway

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 15:22:55 »
Yeah, I was considering 95 as like probably the absolute max anyone will really be willing to go; Otherwise, I'd probably sell it for 80-90 to a friend, but damn these things prices drop fast. haha. Then again, I guess no one really buys it at its list price, and probably 90% get the student discount on it.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 15:22:58 »
Quote from: csm725;427621
If I WERE interested in a Das I wouldn't pay more than 90-100USD shipped, and that may be stretching it.
this sounds good judge by how many can get a DAS with student discount for 100shipped. Put it up in classifieds and see what you get i guess.

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 15:25:47 »
Sell to friend and tell them about GH. Ruin them financially.

Offline kingqway

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 15:29:02 »
Quote from: hcry4;427632

HAHAHA, Thats kind of what happened to me. My cousin helped me get the Das originally, saying how its much better than my original choices. Then I came here and all I do is freakin' buy these things, one switch after another.

Offline slueth

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 17:44:16 »
Let me help you onto the path of recovery.  First step is to get a topre :welcome:.

Offline Kamikaze K

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 20:28:38 »
Quote from: hcry4;427632

Damn you Geekhack... Before discovering mech'boards, I was skipping along in my blissfully magical ignorant rubberdomed world with no care in the world and money spewing out of my pockets.... Now I'm just a mech junky sleeping in a dingy ditch waiting for my next hit.
FILCO Majestouch 2 Camouflage Tenkeyless [Black]
DUCKY DK9008 Shining [Blue]
CM STORM Quickfire Rapid [Red]
TOPRE REALFORCE 87U

Offline bloodygood

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 21:18:36 »
Well there are a few ways to look at it. A few month old keyboard shouldn't have much wear and tear so it should have good re-sale value if the keys all still look pristine and not shiny. But there are people out there who might buy the Das at full price, and resell at above the student discount price. Ah because some people didn't think of that. Theoretically there are people out there who might buy the Das at student discount price, then sell it at just below the full price. Which I am morally against but there is obviously a chance people out there would do it. So the question is, how much of a discount would you give someone for a near perfect condition board, based on the price you paid. Perhaps just 15~25 dollars lower? After all I don't think you went through even 1 million of those possibly 50 million key presses.
Current collection: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown, IBM Model M, Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite II, Dell AT101W.
Looking for: IBM Model M SpaceSaver, HHKB Topre keychain. >> Feedback Thread

Offline kingqway

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 08 October 2011, 23:27:12 »
Yeah, I'm currently aiming for 15-20 below the student discount price, which is 109$. Im aiming around 90-95 as my max # for price. I was hoping 100$, but then I realized it's not really a big deal-breaker for most people, who would probably rather have something brand new for themselves. So 90-95$ is what I'm perceiving as people's max, as stated by CSM.

Unfortunately, I don't think people really see Das as a collectible item, as much as they do a good introductory keyboard. Most people still do want Filco's & Pokers as opposed to something like Das (I'm one of them :P).

Yeah, I definitely haven't gone over more than 10000 key presses in the past few months I'm sure, especially since I've been switching it around with my Leopold, until I screwed up the shift key on it and had it sent to EK for repairs. As for the key caps themselves, there's a bit of glow on the major keys, like A, e, shift, & T. But the print hasn't worn off. I've been taking good care of all my boards since purchase, and I clean them quite often with the suggested methods in the wiki's. I would probably give it a good clean before I sold it too.

EDIT
Quote from: slueth;427706
Let me help you onto the path of recovery.  First step is to get a topre :welcome:.

I'm not sure how much I would enjoy Topre's... They're a bit on the pricy side, and I would be too scared to experiment with that ahah :(
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 October 2011, 23:32:19 by kingqway »