Author Topic: Seeking Help - understanding converters/adapters  (Read 1266 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Seeking Help - understanding converters/adapters
« on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 08:10:41 »
I have a number of adapters and converters, and I use them without really understanding what they do.

For ADB-to-USB converters for old Apples, I know that circuitry is require to actually change the signals.

As I understand it, AT-to-PS/2 adapters are usually just pass-through wiring to change plug size.

But, in simple layman's terms, do the PS/2-to-USB adapters do? I am a smart guy, but I have never tried to understand what is going on electronically inside them.

I have had near-100% success with the cheapest simplest PS/2-to-USB adapters with a variety of keyboards, but other people seem to have loads of problems unless they use the more complicated and expensive ones. What, for example, does a Blue Cube do, electrically, that a $1 Chinese Y-cable does not?

Where I want to go with this is to change some of my attached PS/2 keyboard cables to USB, and wondering how to avoid the kludge of concealing wires, plugs, adapters, and/or converters inside the case so that only a simple USB cable emerges.

Thanks for keeping it simple.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline Tactile

Re: Seeking Help - understanding converters/adapters
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 18:13:52 »
There are active PS/2 to USB adapters and passive ones. In order for the passive adapters to work, the mouse or keyboard has to have special circuitry inside. Those little green (passive) adapters included with your mouse will *only* work with a mouse with this special circuitry, and not just any mouse.

Microsoft has such circuitry and is very protective of it. Just Google "microsoft u2 lawsuit" and you'll see.

I recently had an interesting experience here with an active (Trendnet) PS/2 to USB adapter. When I used it with 2 different brand of trackball I was getting phantom right mouse clicks & scroll wheel movement (just one notch). I replaced it with one from Ziotek and all is fine now.
REΛLFORCE

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 18:39:32 »
Thanks for the reply.

I have never had a mouse issue and have mostly used USB mice for a decade or so.

My conceptual question is what does an "active" converter actually do?

And why have the passive ones always worked for me, with literally dozens of different keyboards, some quite old?

And, lastly, does "passive" actually mean "does nothing" so that I can simply cut and splice wire from the controller to USB?
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline dgreekstallion

• B.S. Fiend
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 19:39:53 »
Hello good sir!

I believe I have a found a document that will help you understand the underlying science behind said converters.

Here it is:

https://mega.co.nz/#!kIdUzQJR!IHcbhqdGM8NizlXwdTxeDdUjG4lMZhHt981IaG86WCY
Recent keyboard fanatic.

Model F-122 convert.

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 20:37:52 »
I have a number of adapters and converters, and I use them without really understanding what they do.

For ADB-to-USB converters for old Apples, I know that circuitry is require to actually change the signals.

As I understand it, AT-to-PS/2 adapters are usually just pass-through wiring to change plug size.

But, in simple layman's terms, do the PS/2-to-USB adapters do? I am a smart guy, but I have never tried to understand what is going on electronically inside them.

I have had near-100% success with the cheapest simplest PS/2-to-USB adapters with a variety of keyboards, but other people seem to have loads of problems unless they use the more complicated and expensive ones. What, for example, does a Blue Cube do, electrically, that a $1 Chinese Y-cable does not?

Where I want to go with this is to change some of my attached PS/2 keyboard cables to USB, and wondering how to avoid the kludge of concealing wires, plugs, adapters, and/or converters inside the case so that only a simple USB cable emerges.

Thanks for keeping it simple.

i would be one of the few i guess that has minor issues with adapters.............

my ziotek works like a charm on all my ps2 boards

my purple ended one (see below) does not and my belkin died, so i give up :-\

the generic one will not power my model m at all, my dell 101's at times, but most of the other ones fine

i run win 7 on my one desktop and win 8 on the other
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 21:06:42 »
Thanks for the reply.

I have never had a mouse issue and have mostly used USB mice for a decade or so.

My conceptual question is what does an "active" converter actually do?

And why have the passive ones always worked for me, with literally dozens of different keyboards, some quite old?

And, lastly, does "passive" actually mean "does nothing" so that I can simply cut and splice wire from the controller to USB?

Passive can man that it "does nothing". Usually this is the case, it just adapts the size/shape. However, I would say that a passive convert is simply one without an "active" (or powered) device, usually a microcontroller.

Some keyboards need what is called a pull-up resistor. If your adapter just includes this item, then it will be passive but also doing something.

I have had a few of the cheap USB-to-PS2 adapters and the biggest issue I had with them is that they "reset" randomly, at least once every few hours. The more expensive ones (ID innovations, xkeys "y mouse", and possibly the blue cube) will generally not have this issue.

Also cheap ones will only support 2KRO, whereas more expensive ones (ID innovations, soarer) will support at least 6KRO.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 21:43:28 »
Good, thanks.

I think I have about 50 1K ohm .25 watt resistors that I got for use with my Teensies. So, my first experiment with be to cut and splice the wires from a PS/2 keyboard (with resistors between Vcc and data and clock) straight to a USB cable, if I can find the USB pin-out, which now I can't recall ever having seen .....

There is room for that inside even the tightest case.
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 06 March 2014, 22:55:15 »
For PS/2 to USB, it's the same thing as ADB to USB. It's changing all the signals actively. The only difference is that PS/2 is more well known. When they're saying that there is 'special circuitry' for passive adapters, all it means is that for devices which can use them they recognize which protocol they are plugged into, and use that language. Not all do. When on the other hand it's an active converter, it acts like a translator. On the computer side it acts like a normal usb device, since usb is polling based, it polls the device and asks for any changes however fast the connection is set. On the device side it thinks it is talking to its native bus device (the convertor/translator) in its native language. So the ADB or PS/2 keyboard thinks that it is connected to a computer in its usual setting - PS/2 is interrupt-based, so when something happens it makes what it's talking to stop what it is doing and listen to its updated information - in this case the convertor. At this point the convertor translates and creates usb packets which are picked up when the computer polls what it sees as the USB device. Most of that's probably identical for ADB, PS/2 and things like soarer's convertor.

Also that's exactly what AT-to-PS/2 does. When IBM changed from XT to AT they changed the signal, but not the plug. When they changed to PS/2 they made the plug smaller but kept the signal/protocol identical. I have no idea why they went from 5 pins to 6 though, because obviously the 6th pin can't do anything useful because they were without it when the protocol was made.

If you don't game, that's the reason why you've not had a problem with the cheap ones. I had a cheap one and couldn't walk and do anything else at the same time - it was built only for typing. I looked at what it was doing using aquakey test, and what it did was send a key up for *everything* whenever just one key was released. Obviously completely useless for holding down anything while doing other stuff.

The blue cube and certain belkin converters are known to be able to do at least 6KRO and are able to keep up with anything the PS/2 keyboards can do otherwise. No reinitializing (time when no input can be done while it does so) or anything, just solid conversion. They are also known for being able to power more demanding things such as the model m. This is why when ripster wanted to do what you want to do, he would open a blue cube up and solder it inside a keyboard so that it would physically seem to be just a USB device. Maybe you can find his guide for that somewhere.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)