Author Topic: Datahand Pro II and the Mac  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Miax

Datahand Pro II and the Mac
« on: Mon, 04 January 2010, 09:53:47 »
Howdy. :)

I've been a Datahand user for over 10 years now, have owned 4 or 5 of the keyboards over that time and work finally supplied us with Mac's. However the Datahand Pro II has no equivalent of the Command, Option or Apple keys and nor will many of the datahand's function keys work on the MAC (Home, End, Ins, Del, etc).

Using the MAC's key remap feature I was able to find good substitutions for 2 of the 3 primary keys (Apple, Option, Command) keys but only 2 and the rest of the function keys are useless. This is a real quandary for me as this seriously hinders alot of actions on the MAC and really make using it much-less effective than using a PC with my Datahands.

I've looked at the Datahand site and they show an adapter, but its a simple USB adapter that claims to be for Mac AND PC - which leads me to believe that its a generic USB to Keyboard/Mouse adapter. I already have such an adapter I used and it seems fine - save for the problems above.  

Has anyone experienced this or have any advice on how to overcome it? If I can't find a way, I will never be able to use a MAC. :(

Thanks in advance!

Kris

Offline konz

Datahand Pro II and the Mac
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 January 2010, 08:58:37 »
I haven't tried my Datahand on a Mac either, but experience with a more or less standard Cherry 105 key keyboard suggests the following: the keys Option and Command map to Alt and the OS (or Windows) key on a PS/2 keyboard.  Current versions of Mac OS have the option of exchanging the function of the Alt and Windows key.

Alt is right thumb west, and the Windows key is right index east, if you have set up the Datahand for 104 key mode.  This is explained in the User's Guide.  You may have to press Alt twice, to toggle left/right Alt (which Alt is used by default can be configured).

The special Apple USB adapter seems to generate more special-purpose keycodes, such as power on.  You may be able to do without them.