Author Topic: highest quality mini layout keyboard? (84-82 key close F-key cluster)  (Read 8536 times)

Offline viowastaken

Hi there,

I'm on my 3rd noppoo mini that just broke and just ordered a keycool 84. I've been quite displeased with the quality of the nopoos, but i've become addicted to the close fkey cluster. I'd simply love it if filco or another manufacturer of equal quality could produce a keyboard with this type of layout on it.

Does anyone know of any alternatives beyond keycool/noppo? preferably with a bit better quality?

Thanks in advance.

Pic of what i'm looking for, Fkeys above number keys.
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Cherry MX Brown with Ducky thick PBT white/grey

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
Re: highest quality mini layout keyboard? (84-82 key close F-key cluster)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 09:50:31 »
Like this?

GH75 by samwisekoi

From this thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38847.msg814804#msg814804

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline viowastaken

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 09:53:01 »
exactly like that, wow, what a beauty! :)

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 10:39:42 »
lol. good luck replicating that. samwisekoi's build process on that board was crazy.

you might want to check out a KBT Pure or KBT Race with plate mounted switches.  That would make the board much more sturdy and durable. then just get an aluminum case for it and bam! Bob's your uncle.

so here is how you do it.
1.Buy KBT RACE
2. Acquire a Plate for it via classifieds/group buy
3. Have a ton of patience as this is going to take a while.
4. Acquire an Aluminum case via classifieds/group buy.

I dont even know for certain that plates and custom cases are made for this board.  They probably are, but i dont pay much attention to 75% boards.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 10:40:22 »
Or you can try the LZ/MX mini though ;D

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 10:42:02 »
Did anyone make plates for the Race?

Offline ksm123

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 10:55:55 »
I'm on my 3rd noppoo mini that just broke

Just for the record, what has happened to your noppoos, I'm going through my first one, and I hoped it will last a few years.

Offline viowastaken

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 11:01:11 »
The first one i broke a space stabilizer on. Nothing serious, glue and it worked fine, gave it to a friend after.

The second one the F1 key just started not working properly all of the sudden. I had to press it really hard and/or wiggle it to get it to register.

The third one was more or less all my fault. I got cannonrushed by some ****ing noob protoss and hit my keyboard once in anger. I know this isn't how keyboards are intended to be used and damage caused by this is hard to complain about, but the keyboard got ****ing totaled. Like none of the keys worked after, and it was complete garbage.

My old old Steelseries g6v2 has received a ton of hits with a lot of  force many times, and still functions flawlessly.

Again, I find it hard to slam (no pun intended) the noppoos for not standing up to being hit, but I do feel it is a bit of a quality indicator.
I've had a g6v2 for many many years and it never missed a beat, i've had a zowie celeritas and a filco tenkeyless. No problems with any of them, ever. All of the noppoo's i've had have displayed problems pretty quickly.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 11:03:31 »
Deck 82, maybe? If you like MX Black, at least.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 11:03:52 »

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 11:05:52 »
More you should get the LZ-mini, you will think twice before slamming, whether for the sake of your wallet, or your hands :p

Offline viowastaken

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 11:07:42 »
Or you can try the LZ/MX mini though ;D

WOW I just googled that now holy crap some of those are just about the most sexy things I've ever seen.

Not super keen on the USB chord plugin thing, but if it works good it's ok.

Any advice on where I can get one and an estimate of what the price will be?

thanks!

and @ the angry german kid video, I knew that was coming. But any competitive gamer will tell you that occasionally you just get very frustrated :(

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 11:08:17 »
The first one i broke a space stabilizer on. Nothing serious, glue and it worked fine, gave it to a friend after.

The second one the F1 key just started not working properly all of the sudden. I had to press it really hard and/or wiggle it to get it to register.

The third one was more or less all my fault. I got cannonrushed by some ****ing noob protoss and hit my keyboard once in anger. I know this isn't how keyboards are intended to be used and damage caused by this is hard to complain about, but the keyboard got ****ing totaled. Like none of the keys worked after, and it was complete garbage.

My old old Steelseries g6v2 has received a ton of hits with a lot of  force many times, and still functions flawlessly.

Again, I find it hard to slam (no pun intended) the noppoos for not standing up to being hit, but I do feel it is a bit of a quality indicator.
I've had a g6v2 for many many years and it never missed a beat, i've had a zowie celeritas and a filco tenkeyless. No problems with any of them, ever. All of the noppoo's i've had have displayed problems pretty quickly.

So if I get the GH75 into a production state, you will be a good candidate for stress-testing them?

Also, the method I made the design prototypes aren't how any future versions will be made.  I hear there are things like "printed circuit boards" and "wave solder machines" that can make them better and more reliable.

I just wanted to validate the layout with a like-minded user.

- Ron | samwisekoi

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 11:08:31 »

and @ the angry german kid video, I knew that was coming. But any competitive gamer will tell you that occasionally you just get very frustrated :(

:D

Just make it a habit to hit your desk, and not they keyboard :p

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 11:09:18 »
Price should be expensive, around 300-400 bucks?

You try slamming your fists on that......I have no doubt which one will be in pain ;D

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 11:09:36 »
The MX Mini can be had for cheaper, which has an acrylic/aluminum case. The LZMXSE is more expensive. Either way, you're looking at $300-$400+.

Offline viowastaken

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 11:10:51 »

So if I get the GH75 into a production state, you will be a good candidate for stress-testing them?

Also, the method I made the design prototypes aren't how any future versions will be made.  I hear there are things like "printed circuit boards" and "wave solder machines" that can make them better and more reliable.

I just wanted to validate the layout with a like-minded user.

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

- Ron | samwisekoi

Ha,
Yes, the layout was beautiful. 100% perfect for my taste.

As long as it was sub $200 I'd order one in a heartbeat. (I know that may be an unrealistic price point.)

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 11:11:24 »
The MX Mini can be had for cheaper, which has an acrylic/aluminum case. The LZMXSE is more expensive. Either way, you're looking at $300-$400+.

He needs the LZ, the MX is still not *that* slam proof :p

Offline viowastaken

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 11:17:46 »
In my defense I would like to emphasize that only one of the noppo's was hit (and totaled.) The rest broke due to God know what. Like I said I've had three other mech keyboards which all still function flawlessly to this day. The G6V2 I've had since like 2007.

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 11:19:34 »
In my defense I would like to emphasize that only one of the noppo's was hit (and totaled.) The rest broke due to God know what. Like I said I've had three other mech keyboards which all still function flawlessly to this day. The G6V2 I've had since like 2007.

LOL but seriously I am looking forward to the day you get cheesed and you slam the LZ :))

Would expect you to end up in a cast maybe :p

Jokes aside, the LZ/MX builds are very solid, you can even build it yourself if you know how to solder ;D

Offline viowastaken

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 11:34:48 »

LOL but seriously I am looking forward to the day you get cheesed and you slam the LZ :))

Jokes aside, the LZ/MX builds are very solid, you can even build it yourself if you know how to solder ;D

They look unbelieveably sexy... I don't know how to solder though unfortunately :(

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 11:44:21 »

They look unbelieveably sexy... I don't know how to solder though unfortunately :(

You can buy them assembled though, if not, find one of our soldering experts to do the job for you for a small fee :cool:

Offline viowastaken

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 11:52:21 »

You can buy them assembled though, if not, find one of our soldering experts to do the job for you for a small fee :cool:

I haven't been able to find a place that sells them assembled yet. Any suggestions? :)

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 11:54:42 »

I haven't been able to find a place that sells them assembled yet. Any suggestions? :)

Get someone to assemble it for you ;D

EDIT: buy lee's MX mini then http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41303.0

Offline viowastaken

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 12:02:39 »

Get someone to assemble it for you ;D

EDIT: buy lee's MX mini then http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=41303.0

Thanks, but I really prefer cherry Browns :/

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 12:20:23 »
I hear there are things like "printed circuit boards" and "wave solder machines" that can make them better and more reliable.

- Ron | samwisekoi

LOL.

After reading this thread develop I have changed my opinion as to what OP should do. I now believe OP should just buy Choc Mini's in bulk.  Throwing down hard cash on a LZ Korean Board is not a wise investment to a temperamental Starcraft player.  I say punch the chocs as hard as you want and swap 'em out.

Or just learn to turn your hatred inwards. When I get cannonrushed at my base by a Protoss turd I just quietly hate on myself for a few minutes. No electronics are damaged.  Just be careful with this method. Serenity now, insanity later is a real threat.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 12:25:21 »
Or just learn to turn your hatred inwards. When I get cannonrushed at my base by a Protoss turd I just quietly hate on myself for a few minutes. No electronics are damaged.  Just be careful with this method. Serenity now, insanity later is a real threat.

Not everyone can channel their inner Wu-Tang Sword Style. :P

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 12:57:58 »
...or watch Day[9] Daily about dealing with emotions.

Offline viowastaken

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 13:14:22 »
Thanks for the replies, but please, let's keep it on topic. I really don't need any therapy, hitting a relatively inexpensive and replaceable keyboard once is not a sign of not being able to own nice and pricy things. I lose on ladder all the time without throwing my Rolex out of the window, so clearly things of higher value are indeed respected :)

Anyways, it seems to me like the only options for me (For now) is the Noppoo mini, KC 84 and maybe the LZMX. Either way it's not super pressing at the moment as I still have one relatively functioning noppoo which only needs its F1 key fixed, and a Kc84 in the mail.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 16:54:11 »
Like this?

Show Image

GH75 by samwisekoi

From this thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=38847.msg814804#msg814804

- Ron | samwisekoi
Show Image

Oh my that's hot. I was about to suggest looking into a Keycool 84 with POM/PBT, but that pales in comparison... Still would suggest checking them out as the construction is supposedly similar/better than the Noppoo Choc Mini.

Offline viowastaken

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 17:10:53 »

Oh my that's hot. I was about to suggest looking into a Keycool 84 with POM/PBT, but that pales in comparison... Still would suggest checking them out as the construction is supposedly similar/better than the Noppoo Choc Mini.

Yeah, as mentioned I'm expecting one in the mail any day now.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #31 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 17:28:49 »

Let us know how it works out for you.

Offline viowastaken

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 17:33:39 »

Let us know how it works out for you.

Will do, fingers crossed. It has a more generic key-cap layout which is nice. I have quite a few spare sets of keycaps at this point, so I'm really looking forward to customizing it a lot :)

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 17:36:33 »
Yeah, be aware that while the spacebar is a standard 6.25 size, the stabilizer mounts are placed odd, so you may need to use a standard or custom wire to use other spacebars.

Offline ksm123

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 23:45:47 »
Sorry for bothering you about ghosts from the past, but... Your second Noppoo, the one with malfunctioning F1 key. Did you try to resolder F1 key's switch?

Offline viowastaken

« Reply #35 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 05:00:10 »
Sorry for bothering you about ghosts from the past, but... Your second Noppoo, the one with malfunctioning F1 key. Did you try to resolder F1 key's switch?

Not yet, i have a spare set of switches from one that died, so i thought i'd maybe try to move one of the old switches to replace the f1 key with. I have never soldered anything in my life though, so I might chicken out and consult a friend who has experience with this sort of thing.

Offline ksm123

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 05:07:08 »
I wasn't thinking about exchanging switch, but about checking if electrical connection of existing switch are sound.

Offline viowastaken

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 05:14:15 »
I wasn't thinking about exchanging switch, but about checking if electrical connection of existing switch are sound.

I think it must be an internal issue with the switch, since if i press it hard and wiggle the switch it will actuate.

I have no idea beyond that, and i'm open to suggestions on how to solve the problem.

Offline viowastaken

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 05:45:04 »
Wow, I just opened up the case of my old noppo and saw that one of the solders behind the F1 key was just about gone. Maybe it will work after I (my friend) resolder it back. If not I do have a spare cherry brown.

Fingers crossed.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 15:42:22 »
Wow, I just opened up the case of my old noppo and saw that one of the solders behind the F1 key was just about gone. Maybe it will work after I (my friend) resolder it back. If not I do have a spare cherry brown.

Fingers crossed.

Good luck, hope  it works out.

Offline viowastaken

« Reply #40 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 16:10:32 »

Fingers crossed.

Good luck, hope  it works out.

Thanks, it did!

The solder point had cleanly just broken on the backside of the PCB. I don't know how that happened, but a quick re-solder and it's good as new again. Very happy about that for sure, even though it's not a super fancy keyboard it would suck if it broke.

Offline viowastaken

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 06:50:02 »
Hey ya'll

Just unpacked my keycool 84 and here are my unitial thoughts on my keycool vs noppo.

+ None of the keys  rattle. On every noppo I've had the shift keys, space bar, enter and backspace have all rattled pretty significantly. Even my filco TKL has a tiny bit of play in the space bar. The KC has none what so ever.
+ It looks and feels pretty high quality.
+ Standard sized space bar, easier to find replacement for. Noppoo space bar is not replaceable by any other.
+ The space bar angle is less aggressive. The noppoo space bar was angled in a way that really was uncomfortably digging into your thumbs I think.
+ The backlighting is adjustable which is pretty neat.  Three levels of brightness, and completely off.
-The keys feel less nice than the POM noppoo caps, I think. Slightly more "sticky" and I suspect they will glaze/smoothe out relatively quickly after some use.
-The base of the keyboard is very slightly uneven. This is just the rubber pieces underneath which I can probably just sand down in 20 seconds to make it perfect.

All in all I think I prefer the keycool. At least after I get it leveled and get a slightly nicer feeling set of keycaps on it. The key hight on the keyboard is about the same, but the noppoo board seems to be a few mm's taller than the noppoo.

Hope that someone found that interesting.

Does anyone know of a space bar with the stabilizer placement that fits the Keycool? The one spare key set I had laying around had too narrow contact points for the outer two switches/stabilizers.

edit: i just checked, and the space key is the same size hole spread as the one filco uses. I had a spare set og blank filco keycaps and the space bar fit right in.

The otehr spare key-set I had was for a zowie celeritas, which had a too narrow of a side stabilizer mount on the sides. Strange. Is the filco space stabilizer hole the standard in the industry? I was thinking of ordering a new set of keycaps, but I'd really like to make sure they are going to fit first :P

« Last Edit: Tue, 02 April 2013, 07:05:11 by viowastaken »

Offline viowastaken

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 07:28:16 »
Gonna bump this with a further question:

How would one go about getting a LZ MX SE now? I can't read a word of korean, and the website (redline) has most every word in a picture, so google translate won't work.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 07:33:28 »
Classifieds is your best option. Or you can contact Team Redline in their vendor subforum to see if they can help you out