Author Topic: [GB] DCX WoB, BoW, and Genesis - WoB, BoW Shipped  (Read 12733 times)

Offline Akele

Re: [GB] DCX WoB, BoW, and Genesis - WoB, BoW Shipped
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 30 June 2022, 16:28:23 »
Thanks, good to know ISO kits are at least on the roadmap, so will happen at some point. Good to hear that icon mods may be on the cards too.

Offline shansoft

Re: [GB] DCX WoB, BoW, and Genesis - WoB, BoW Shipped
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 08 July 2022, 01:15:49 »
How is the stem height on the DCX profile? Is it the same profile as GMK where its shorter than the bottom of the keycap? or like everything else where its align with the bottom?

Offline NoPunIn10Did

• NoPunIn10Key
Re: [GB] DCX WoB, BoW, and Genesis - Open for orders
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 26 July 2022, 09:07:12 »
And while I don't know allll of the nitty gritty details, do bear in mind that tweaks to specific legends are significantly cheaper than an entirely new tool (with new overall cavities). So custom/modified legends are definitely possible, and we are actually working on a few variations currently.

Gradients and non-standard accents are not currently supported without some creativity or compromises - you're correct again here. This one does bum me out personally, but again it's the tradeoff that was decided upon.

The one workaround here is that designers would be able to create "rolling" gradients where there are as many different sets offered as there are colors in the gradient. Keys would then be mixed and matched to create each iteration and nothing goes to waste. Certainly not ideal, but might be a suitable compromise for some.

I think this remains to be seen. I mean, what you've stated as far as designers not being interested if they need to work the finer details is true, but how much will that impact the viability of DCX? I'm not so convinced that it's a big problem. We do support custom novelties and other customizations, just not quite as far-reaching as SP or GMK. It then becomes a tradeoff decision for the designer - we all know that none of the existing profiles and manufacturers are without flaws either.

I think you're right that this is the biggest risk here. Do note that there is some modularity and room for tweaking things (we are already working on including some additional keys that have been requested) but yes, it does have some fairly strict limitations in the grand scheme of things.

Hmm, interesting point - thanks for the callout. I'm curious what the broader Mac community would prefer here. I personally use Command as if it were Control on a Windows PC (though I haven't remapped it as such, but functionally it is the same key in my mind). I wonder if the majority of Mac users might view it similarly, even if it's not officially considered as such. I don't even know what I would do with the Control key in the Caps Lock position, I use that key so rarely.

Thank you for the thought-out responses. It's good to know that these tradeoffs were considered, and it's good to know that there may be more room for kitting / legend tweaks than what other all-at-once doubleshot offerings provide.