Author Topic: The long journey of the WhiteFox  (Read 174818 times)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
Re: The long journey of the WhiteFox
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 02:20:17 »
is it me or some posts were deleted during the night....

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #51 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 02:21:27 »
Yeah , Geekhack went down and recovered with a lot of posts removed. Among them, the whole IC thread for the Ziptyze cases by Trenzafeeds....

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #52 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 02:24:28 »
okay so posting this again :)

(special edition, not sure it will be made, but the case will be gold anodized)

Offline yomammary

« Reply #53 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 07:01:32 »
okay so posting this again :)

Show Image

(special edition, not sure it will be made, but the case will be gold anodized)
Oh my... must... resist...
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #54 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 07:09:57 »
Just wondering if the plates support a stepped caps lock or just the regular centered style?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 07:21:00 »
Just wondering if the plates support a stepped caps lock or just the regular centered style?

again PCB does support that, but the plates won't be made (even though with some work you could cut some aluminum...)

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 07:28:17 »

again PCB does support that, but the plates won't be made (even though with some work you could cut some aluminum...)

Thanks!

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 03 December 2015, 09:12:24 »
Yeah , Geekhack went down and recovered with a lot of posts removed. Among them, the whole IC thread for the Ziptyze cases by Trenzafeeds....

This still happens on GH? That's unfortunate.

Well, I'll say again - glad to see the progression of your efforts culminate in this board. In for one, special edition or regular true fox, depending on how the wind blows.

:)
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 07:45:20 »
Good news / bad news situation.

Bad news: we won't make the gold edition. Sorry, I tried, but it adds a lot of work and we wouldn't make it by Christmas.

Good news: we will get FCC compliance, meaning that MD will offer a 100% full assembled WhiteFox. As far as I know this would be a first (but I might be wrong). Unfortunately I don't think it will be CE certified too. Also we will probably have a proper product box, no bubble wrap in generic box but a custom made packaging to fit all the components.

More good news: group buy starts next week! Hold tight!

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 08:03:12 »

Bad news: we won't make the gold edition. Sorry, I tried, but it adds a lot of work and we wouldn't make it by Christmas.

Good news: we will get FCC compliance, meaning that MD will offer a 100% full assembled WhiteFox. As far as I know this would be a first (but I might be wrong). Unfortunately I don't think it will be CE certified too. Also we will probably have a proper product box, no bubble wrap in generic box but a custom made packaging to fit all the components.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 08:06:14 »

Dank.

Do you know if Gateron switches will be an option?
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 December 2015, 08:21:08 by romevi »

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 08:07:35 »

Oh man WhiteFox and GMK SNES on Massdrop - my wallet is gonna get a hurting right before Christmas

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 08:21:22 »

Oh man WhiteFox and GMK SNES on Massdrop - my wallet is gonna get a hurting right before Christmas

Where is the SNES set?

Offline raymogi

« Reply #63 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 08:25:24 »
Good thing the GB comes quite early in the month. Lots of monies to be spent.
Please feed my addiction.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 08:47:39 »

Your wallet will hurt, but your fingers will be happy, and that's all Christmas is about.

Offline harlw

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 08:48:08 »
oh lawdy
Ergodox (x2), V.EA Clone, Tada68, Atreus XL, Planck, Model M 70% Mod

Offline Jedi

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 09:00:30 »
Good gawd, what the hell did my wallet ever do to deserve this?  I've been lurking on the white fox project for the past 2 years so of course the white fox layout is the only way for me to go.  Hoping there is some heft and thickness to the case like my poker keyboard.  I purchased the acrylic and the aluminum cases for my 60% boards and honestly the case from my poker just stands out over the others.  The PBT keys in this one sound like the same keys from the KC60 release on MD (not a fan). 

Matt3o, in the interest of prepping this kick a$$ board for Granite Round 4 next year, would you please make an option for no keys when the drop is set?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 09:04:52 »
The PBT keys in this one sound like the same keys from the KC60 release on MD (not a fan).

keycaps come from a brand new facility. What I tested so far is really nice.

Matt3o, in the interest of prepping this kick a$$ board for Granite Round 4 next year, would you please make an option for no keys when the drop is set?

yeah, keycaps are optional! :)

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 09:09:31 »
Is it really going through MD ?
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 09:51:49 »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder

Offline Jumie

« Reply #71 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 10:10:01 »
ow my gawd,, my wallet gonna hurt so much...

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 10:12:20 »
ow my gawd,, my wallet gonna hurt so much...

Why do you even carry a wallet anymore? Just tape your credit card to the bottom of your monitor.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 10:26:36 »
been watching this project for quite a while.  Very interesting layout...

Offline ddot

• Master of Suspense
« Reply #74 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 11:44:37 »
Any updates on the pinging or lack thereof?  (I think you mentioned you had a recording or something to post, but it looks like it got lost in the rollback).

I've also casually followed some of the Infinity development on Massdrop.  For one, I know they were having issues with the strength of the USB connector on the Infinity ErgoDox.  Have you guys been able to gain any insights from their problems so they don't happen with the WhiteFox?

How's the online configurator working?  Massdrop's for the original  Ergodox never really seemed to made it out of (an early) beta.  If you wanted more functionality than that, you needed to wrap your head around TMK or Ben's firmware or something and figure out how to compile it on your own.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 December 2015, 11:51:38 by ddot »

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #75 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 11:44:57 »
The Winkeyless layout is definitely my favorite part of this set  :eek:
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #76 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 13:21:02 »
Any updates on the pinging or lack thereof?  (I think you mentioned you had a recording or something to post, but it looks like it got lost in the rollback).

I've also casually followed some of the Infinity development on Massdrop.  For one, I know they were having issues with the strength of the USB connector on the Infinity ErgoDox.  Have you guys been able to gain any insights from their problems so they don't happen with the WhiteFox?

How's the online configurator working?  Massdrop's for the original  Ergodox never really seemed to made it out of (an early) beta.  If you wanted more functionality than that, you needed to wrap your head around TMK or Ben's firmware or something and figure out how to compile it on your own.

audio quality is not the best and the mic was really too close, but you can get an idea. Switches are MX Blue and the keyboard is still a prototype (not the final product) but there's no "ping". Sound test.

the whitefox has a micro-usb connector with pass-through pins. that is the best you can get in terms of small usb ports.

Configuration works pretty well with the configurator, if you need more options just ask. Consider that the TMK firmware will also be ported to the whitefox.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 13:24:36 »

audio quality is not the best and the mic was really too close, but you can get an idea. Switches are MX Blue and the keyboard is still a prototype (not the final product) but there's no "ping". Sound test.

the whitefox has a micro-usb connector with pass-through pins. that is the best you can get in terms of small usb ports.

Configuration works pretty well with the configurator, if you need more options just ask. Consider that the TMK firmware will also be ported to the whitefox.

Those clicks are music to my ears. I am constantly refreshing this thread at working, waiting for the group buy announcement to go live, even though I know it won't be until next week.

Offline ddot

• Master of Suspense
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 15:18:44 »

I took a quick look at the configurator over at input.club.  Not sure if this'll end up being the official one or not.  A couple things come to mind that weren't overly clear if they're implemented.  Simple macros (ie hold down a modifier or something, type a series of keys, release modifier) and an easy way to implement SpaceFN (ie function change on down keystroke, then conditional space on up keystroke if nothing else got pressed after the down keystroke).

I was also looking at the keycap renders over on deskthority.  Is the top right key on the number pad kit really an "Any Key" or is that just a place holder?

Offline ika

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 15:20:50 »
Wait, is this going to come as a kit or only as a complete board? I would rather put it together myself.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 15:22:15 »
Wait, is this going to come as a kit or only as a complete board? I would rather put it together myself.

Pretty sure you can order just the kit, a la the Infinity boards.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 16:35:15 »
it's a kit, but you can get it assembled if you want (for a price :P).

PS: the key in the numpad reads "ANY KEY" :P

Offline p1114501510

• 尴尬癌晚期患者
« Reply #82 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 19:04:34 »
oh man, great job. Looking forward to the group buy, but can I change the position of caps and ctrl?

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 21:43:12 »

If only it supported HHKB top row

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 21:58:10 »

I think that, as a new keyboard, the Fox is trying a new layout inspired by others.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #85 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 21:59:15 »

I think that, as a new keyboard, the Fox is trying a new layout inspired by others.

?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 22:01:14 »

?

Sorry, I'm actually really tired and too lazy to write.
Meant to add that its main purpose is to try a new layout, so supporting other layouts isn't its main concern but to have people try a new one. Hence the creation of supporting caps.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #87 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 22:20:51 »
Holy crap, Matt3o. :eek: This is amazing.

Your initial prototyping and building a couple years ago is one of the things that inspired me to dig deeper into this hobby and build my own things.  Thank you for detailing the history of this board, it brought back a lot of great memories.  :)  And it's so great to see your dream finally realized.

I'm totally in for the True Fox layout.  :thumb: ;D  I like 65% boards, I like HHKB backspace, and I love the gap between the arrow keys.  Great design, of course.

My only gripe is the lack of stepped caps lock support.  :( 

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #88 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 22:24:13 »

Your initial prototyping and building a couple years ago is one of the things that inspired me to dig deeper into this hobby and build my own things.  Thank you for detailing the history of this board, it brought back a lot of great memories.  :)  And it's so great to see your dream finally realized.

I'm totally in for the True Fox layout.  :thumb: ;D  I like 65% boards, I like HHKB backspace, and I love the gap between the arrow keys.  Great design, of course.

There is support in the PCB, just not with the flush plate.
But yeah, I wish the full shebang had the stepped cap. This would make True Fox perfect.

Still getting True Fox layout 'cause that's what this board was made for!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #89 on: Fri, 04 December 2015, 22:28:11 »

There is support in the PCB, just not with the flush plate.
But yeah, I wish the full shebang had the stepped cap. This would make True Fox perfect.

Still getting True Fox layout 'cause that's what this board was made for!

Yeah, but I want the plate!  :P

Oh!  Another comment for Matt3o: If there is any way to get hex socket screws (Allen Wrench screws - I don't know the technical name :) ) instead of flat-head screws that would be great.  Flat-head and phillips don't look nearly as clean and polished as hex screws IMO.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #90 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 01:20:22 »
The step is to prevent accidental key press of the mean caps lock, BUT you should use CTRL or FN in that position, so there's no need of a stepped key. Adding an option for stepped caps lock for each plate would be too expensive, we preferred to give more layout choices instead. I hope we made the right decision...

@HoffmanMyster where did you see flat or phillips screws?! :D They are all torx screws

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #91 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 06:53:58 »
But the off centered switch for the step caps lock allows the use of authentic OG Cherry sets and it does look very cool.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #92 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 07:36:33 »
But the off centered switch for the step caps lock allows the use of authentic OG Cherry sets and it does look very cool.

I agree, but like I said, we couldn't make both versions for all layouts.

Offline joey

« Reply #93 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 07:38:30 »
Why can't one plate support both versions?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #94 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 07:46:25 »
Why can't one plate support both versions?

I'm not very much fond of open frame keyboards with large holes to support multiple layouts.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #95 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 08:43:09 »
The step is to prevent accidental key press of the mean caps lock, BUT you should use CTRL or FN in that position, so there's no need of a stepped key. Adding an option for stepped caps lock for each plate would be too expensive, we preferred to give more layout choices instead. I hope we made the right decision...

Good point.  I do still like the stepped key, even if it's Ctrl, but you're right that it is not critical at that point.

@HoffmanMyster where did you see flat or phillips screws?! :D They are all torx screws

Whoops!  I saw this picture and assumed the final product would have the same screws.  But looking at the final product shot I see that that is not the case.  Thank you for clarifying!  :D

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #96 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 09:03:40 »
the screws are really small, almost cellphone size, we could find only torx head at that size (no hex), but they are definitely better than flat or phillips.

Yeah the prototypes had flat heads, you are right, but it was just to check that everything was working.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #97 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 14:02:14 »
Any possibility of allowing a 1u win key on the bottom row on the left so then you can fit a 7u spacebar and get rid of that pesky gap?

I think the GAP is an intended feature.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #98 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 19:31:22 »
Any possibility of allowing a 1u win key on the bottom row on the left so then you can fit a 7u spacebar and get rid of that pesky gap?

I think the GAP is an intended feature.
Ya, the gap is going to be REALLY useful.   My biggest problem with the 75% layout was not being able to find the arrow keys 100% of the time without having to look cause all the keys down there felt the same.

I used an fc660c for a long time and really enjoyed the layout. One of my biggest complaint with that board was the lack of a dedicated `~ key (being a developer, I use that key often). This board solves that as well, so that is nice.

Offline trizkut

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #99 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 22:45:30 »

That's unfortunate.  I was really looking forward to the gold edition!  But still in  :thumb: