Author Topic: The long journey of the WhiteFox  (Read 174808 times)

Offline Jedi

Re: The long journey of the WhiteFox
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 05 December 2015, 23:07:09 »
This keyboard is approved by the commission to elect the gap.  Every man appreciates the gap :thumb: :)

Offline ileben

« Reply #101 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 01:39:37 »
I would go with The True Fox, but that backspace might be a problem for replacement caps, no? Unless you reuse a \| key there, but that's not really nice.
My next choice is Aria.
RF 87 55g (silenced) | FC660C (silenced) | Unicomp Ultra Classic | Filco MJ2 Brown | Matias Mini Quiet Pro

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #102 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 01:44:22 »
I would go with The True Fox, but that backspace might be a problem for replacement caps, no? Unless you reuse a \| key there, but that's not really nice.
My next choice is Aria.

well, it's not that uncommon, many (serious) sets have the 1.5 backspace. Granite and Round 5 to name a couple. But yea Aria would be less problematic (you still need the smaller right shift).

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #103 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 03:25:57 »

Any possibility of allowing a 1u win key on the bottom row on the left so then you can fit a 7u spacebar and get rid of that pesky gap?

I think the GAP is an intended feature.
Ya, the gap is going to be REALLY useful.   My biggest problem with the 75% layout was not being able to find the arrow keys 100% of the time without having to look cause all the keys down there felt the same.

I used an fc660c for a long time and really enjoyed the layout. One of my biggest complaint with that board was the lack of a dedicated `~ key (being a developer, I use that key often). This board solves that as well, so that is nice.

Ahh okay I didn't realise the intentionality as I've never used a keyboard with the gap before

Sounds really clever! True fox format it is for both boards!

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #104 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 07:53:50 »
The step is to prevent accidental key press of the mean caps lock, BUT you should use CTRL or FN in that position, so there's no need of a stepped key. Adding an option for stepped caps lock for each plate would be too expensive, we preferred to give more layout choices instead. I hope we made the right decision...

@HoffmanMyster where did you see flat or phillips screws?! :D They are all torx screws

1. I love that you flatout say you should have CTRL or FN where Caps Lock is. Thank you  :thumb:

2. Supporting a step key would still be nice in the future. Some sets even include a step CTRL key, obviously for aesthetic reasons. But I think that is the main reason people like it anyways at this point. Definitely something I'd like to see in the future as well, but definitely not something that will make me hesitate about buying this at all either! You can "improve" something forever, but even as it is this is an extremely exciting keyboard.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #105 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 09:21:45 »
worry not, if the first group buy is successful we will have a second batch for sure (goooold!)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #106 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 09:24:07 »
worry not, if the first group buy is successful we will have a second batch for sure (goooold!)

IF the buy is successful? hahaha.

Absolutely no question that it will be.  :thumb:
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #107 on: Sun, 06 December 2015, 10:44:37 »

Any possibility of allowing a 1u win key on the bottom row on the left so then you can fit a 7u spacebar and get rid of that pesky gap?

I think the GAP is an intended feature.
Ya, the gap is going to be REALLY useful.   My biggest problem with the 75% layout was not being able to find the arrow keys 100% of the time without having to look cause all the keys down there felt the same.

I used an fc660c for a long time and really enjoyed the layout. One of my biggest complaint with that board was the lack of a dedicated `~ key (being a developer, I use that key often). This board solves that as well, so that is nice.

Ahh okay I didn't realise the intentionality as I've never used a keyboard with the gap before

Sounds really clever! True fox format it is for both boards!

I do not need the gap either, I am actually using my arrows with space FN on ijkl; but for a dedicated arrow cluster it makes sense to separate it entirely from the rest of the keys; because, you have to "search for it" instead of just touch typing.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #108 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 06:28:04 »
in few hours we will have the GB up and running. In the meantime... Whitefox on SA Retro :)

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #109 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 06:35:44 »
Wow, a groupbuy for the whitefox, it's amazing to see the day that this finally all coming together and being made available.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #110 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 06:40:34 »
wish this wasn't happening through MassDrop, good luck with the GB Matt3o.
65% trully is the best layout.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline ika

« Reply #111 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 06:42:50 »
Hmm... it's probably too late for a suggestion like this to go out with the GB, but - any chance someone could product a companion sticker or thin "frame" that goes over the top and covers the screw holes? I really like having a clean top section without exposed screws. A thin plastic rectangular frame would work I think, or even just a vinyl sticker.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #112 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 07:02:05 »
I get paid in 10 days but I've seen like 6 different boards that I'd invest in.. **** :eek:

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #113 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 08:22:10 »

Oh **** it is... that makes me sad as well. I probably don't have the money for it anyway
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #114 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 08:39:43 »

I think there will probably be a large number of people who will proxy this through someone in the US.  Like you, we get killed with customs and duty when going through 'official' vendors.

Offline qwack

« Reply #115 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 09:02:52 »
Hmm... it's probably too late for a suggestion like this to go out with the GB, but - any chance someone could product a companion sticker or thin "frame" that goes over the top and covers the screw holes? I really like having a clean top section without exposed screws. A thin plastic rectangular frame would work I think, or even just a vinyl sticker.

Since the project is open source, the CAD files will be released so you'll be able to have a thin plastic/vinyl sheet cut from any lasercutting service.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 December 2015, 09:06:09 by qwack »

Pure Pro w/MX Red - [review]

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #116 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 09:12:34 »
a carbon fiber top cover would be a nice idea :)

Offline Jedi

« Reply #117 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 09:23:55 »
a carbon fiber top cover would be a nice idea :)

Can you make that happen in the next 30 minutes before the drop starts? :-)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #118 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 09:28:45 »
lol, don't think so :D

Offline Jumie

« Reply #119 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 18:20:08 »
few hours has gone by.. wheres my white fox? xD

Online romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #120 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 18:23:23 »

Last time Matt3o said a few hours it turned into a couple of days. ;)

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #121 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 18:28:35 »

Last time Matt3o said a few hours it turned into a couple of days. ;)

does Matt3o run on valve time?

Offline bubbedi

« Reply #122 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 18:35:37 »
Never has MassDrop been refreshed that often... :)

Offline sircheddar

« Reply #123 on: Tue, 08 December 2015, 23:23:57 »
Hi! My first post on GH hype hype!

Can someone help me decide between the aria and the true?

The true has the potential of having a limited edition, but I am more of a white keyboard kind of person as it is.

The other thing is that my daily driver right now is a leopold fc660m and I am used to having larger sized, farther spaced back spaces, and am not sure what it will be like to have it closer. Other then that, I am thinking that I will be able to arrange the right column so that the delete goes into the corner on the right, and stuff like that, without too much issue?

edit: spent a little bit more time thinking about it. I like that the back space is closer, it kind of makes sense. I don't use that backslash whatever key... ever... so maybe having the backspace closer would make it a bit more ergo in a way?

Thanks
kevin "SirCheddar"
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 December 2015, 02:13:55 by sircheddar »
" I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. "

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #124 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 03:32:32 »
ooookay. sorry for keeping you waiting guys, but that doesn't depend on me :)

The group buy has become incredibly complex and we are trying to avoid manufacturing and logistics errors. The GB is ready on MassDrop (but dormant) and soon a newsletter will be sent out with the official announcement. The group buy will officially start this Friday.

The true has the potential of having a limited edition, but I am more of a white keyboard kind of person as it is.

the gold edition won't be released at this time. We will probably do it later this year (but don't hold your breath).

I am thinking that I will be able to arrange the right column so that the delete goes into the corner on the right, and stuff like that, without too much issue?

the key layout is completely up to you, you can customize any way you like it.

edit: spent a little bit more time thinking about it. I like that the back space is closer, it kind of makes sense. I don't use that backslash whatever key... ever... so maybe having the backspace closer would make it a bit more ergo in a way?

to me, that is the only right place for the backspace, but it's down to personal preference at the end.

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #125 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 04:41:39 »

the gold edition won't be released at this time. We will probably do it later this year (but don't hold your breath).

Can you tell us if this will be on MD or separately?
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #126 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 04:45:38 »

Can you tell us if this will be on MD or separately?

it's really to early to say...

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #127 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 05:08:00 »
okay quick update.

As I said the group buy will star this Friday on MassDrop. I don't know if I'll be able to grab some samples for myself and possibly sell them to MassDrop haters and I will actually know only when the drop is over, so don't rely on that.

We had to reduce the number of options to lower logistics hiccups. The options will be:
- a raw kit that includes only the plate, pcb, case, screws, feet and stabs
- to that you can add keycaps, switches and LEDs (all together)
- on top of that you can add full assembly service

I'm really excited about how this is coming out, some things I would have definitely done differently, but like in every relationship you have to compromise a little.

In this very moment I'm typing on a 100% working WhiteFox and it's amazing. I'm almost to tears, it took a year but it was totally worth it!

Offline f1xedgear

« Reply #128 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 06:45:19 »
okay quick update.

As I said the group buy will star this Friday on MassDrop. I don't know if I'll be able to grab some samples for myself and possibly sell them to MassDrop haters and I will actually know only when the drop is over, so don't rely on that.

We had to reduce the number of options to lower logistics hiccups. The options will be:

I'm really excited about how this is coming out, some things I would have definitely done differently, but like in every relationship you have to compromise a little.

In this very moment I'm typing on a 100% working WhiteFox and it's amazing. I'm almost to tears, it took a year but it was totally worth it!
Can you share pricing details yet?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #129 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 06:56:39 »
actually, let me ask you, how much would you expect from a high quality aluminum keyboard like this?

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #130 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 06:58:02 »
okay quick update.

I'm assuming that all the plate options will still be run?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #131 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 07:00:17 »
okay quick update.

yes, all plates are a go.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #132 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 07:03:27 »
okay quick update.

yes, all plates are a go.

sweet can't wait to see it go live

congrats on bringing this board to life matt3o

Offline f1xedgear

« Reply #133 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 07:05:30 »
actually, let me ask you, how much would you expect from a high quality aluminum keyboard like this?

Given what I just paid for my WKL b.face build, somewhere around $250-$300?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #134 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 07:08:27 »

Given what I just paid for my WKL b.face build, somewhere around $250-$300?

a lot depends on if you need assembly or not... but hopefully we can beat that :) Also of course depends on how many WF we sell

Offline sircheddar

« Reply #135 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 07:30:38 »
Hi Matteo, still learning how to reply to what you specifically responded to, but i think I have come to a bit of a conclusion.

So, as far as the aria is concerned, if i end up preferring to have the back space 1 spot closer and lower, i could always remap it to that key and enjoy. if not, i could keep it in its original position. also, i think with this, keycap sets could be easier to find in the future? maybe? I think this probably makes the aria a better option for me. I doubt that i will need a dedicated tilde key and the backslash one anyways.

next, I wanted to ask how the timeline is expected to look? i am sure it will be months before it is complete, but will it be closer to lets say 6 months till the keyboard is produced, or closer to a year? more? i understand if you cant comment!

oh, another thing, do you know the overall dimensions of this keyboard? I am trying to picture its size compared to my leopold, which is like 12.5 inches by maybe 4.1 inches

lastly, will there be an option to get some of it soldered, and some of it unsoldered (like have everything but the switches soldered?)

Thanks,
Kevin "SirCheddar"

« Last Edit: Wed, 09 December 2015, 08:03:19 by sircheddar »
" I hope that when the world comes to an end, I can breathe a sigh of relief, because there will be so much to look forward to. "

Offline qwack

« Reply #136 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 07:50:55 »

Obviously it depends on the number of cases that are manufactured, but given the design of the case, I'd expect the kit to be priced around 160€, 180€ tops (unassembled, with keycaps but no switches).

Which does not mean that I consider it to be a cheap keyboard — on the contrary it looks like a lot of thought went into its design, so I assume that you made the right design choices to make it more affordable than the average custom keyboard with CNC case (no tight radius inside corners, etc.).

Offline qwack

« Reply #137 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 08:04:25 »
next, I wanted to ask how the timeline is expected to look? i am sure it will be months before it is complete, but will it be closer to lets say 6 months till the keyboard is produced, or closer to a year? more? i understand if you cant comment!

lastly, will there be an option to get some of it soldered, and some of it unsoldered (like have everything but the switches soldered?)

Regarding the timeline, this was posted in the deskthority thread :

The kit should ship shortly after the end of the GB (that will last one week)

Hence the limited number of options I guess, but I'd gladly take that over a nevending rollercoaster à la GH60.

If I am not mistaken, the whole PCB is already soldered (micro USB, controllers, diodes), only the switches need to be soldered and for those who cannot there will be an option to have it fully assembled.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 December 2015, 08:06:02 by qwack »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #138 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 08:05:07 »
So, as far as the aria is concerned, if i end up preferring to have the back space 1 spot closer and lower, i could always remap it to that key and enjoy. if not, i could keep it in its original position. also, i think with this, keycap sets could be easier to find in the future? maybe? I think this probably makes the aria a better option for me. I doubt that i will need a dedicated tilde key and the backslash one anyways.

Aria is definitely easier to handle and find keycaps for. If you are torn, Aria is a safer bet. You can still remap the backspace to the \| key if you want (but then you are left with a 2u key that does basically nothing).

The group buy will last one week, production will be pretty fast actually, everything is pretty much set, so worst case scenario it should be a couple of months.

yes, the kit comes with everything soldered apart from switches. If you want it assembled, you get the full keyboard ready to rock.

Obviously it depends on the number of cases that are manufactured, but given the design of the case, I'd expect the kit to be priced around 160€, 180€ tops (unassembled, with keycaps but no switches).

I honestly don't have the final figures yet, we are still checking the last few things. Your estimate seems reasonable, though. Hopefully we can do a tad better than that, but again depends on quantity.

Offline sircheddar

« Reply #139 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 08:53:16 »
Another silly question for you matteo, im sorry, i am new to group buys so I am still wondering a ton. Is there going to be a rush to sign up for this? Will it be at risk of selling out, and should it be something that I hurry to sign up for? or are the parts produced after the signups have closed? im sorry if this is just a silly question

Thanks,
Kevin "SirCheddar"

Online romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #140 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 09:24:21 »
Matt3o,

Can you autograph mine?

Offline Jedi

« Reply #141 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 09:38:55 »
Matt3o,

Can you autograph mine?

Uhh, you do realize Matt3o is in Italy, Massdrop is in Jersey, and China is uhm somewhere in the middle? :confused: :p

Online romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #142 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 09:43:36 »
Matt3o,

Can you autograph mine?

Uhh, you do realize Matt3o is in Italy, Massdrop is in Jersey, and China is uhm somewhere in the middle? :confused: :p

Absolutely. And?

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #143 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 10:33:42 »
Matt3o,

Can you autograph mine?

Absolutely. And?

Once you get your board, you can ship it to Matt3o and have him sign it and then pay for him to ship it back to you.  That would work...  :P

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #144 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 10:36:06 »
Matt3o,

Can you autograph mine?

Absolutely. And?

Once you get your board, you can ship it to Matt3o and have him sign it and then pay for him to ship it back to you.  That would work...  :P

I mean you guys can just ask him to sign a letter for you or something and tape it underneath the housing.

Online romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #145 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 10:38:23 »
Matt3o,

Can you autograph mine?

Absolutely. And?

The box is ready.

Matt3o,

Can you autograph mine?

Absolutely. And?

I mean you guys can just ask him to sign a letter for you or something and tape it underneath the housing.

But will it add weight to the board?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #146 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 11:02:20 »
****....like others I too have been following your development for a while. I was going to make my own 65% board but....UGH. That winkeyless layout would be my ideal layout like livingspeedbump said. Great job!

Edit: I was going to say my only complaint is no Alps compatibility but E3E made his PCB work so I could too...
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 December 2015, 11:04:09 by CPTBadAss »

Offline E3E

« Reply #147 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 11:41:35 »
****....like others I too have been following your development for a while. I was going to make my own 65% board but....UGH. That winkeyless layout would be my ideal layout like livingspeedbump said. Great job!

Edit: I was going to say my only complaint is no Alps compatibility but E3E made his PCB work so I could too...

Push the boundaries and spread the Alps love!  :thumb: As long as you have the patience for it, it's definitely possible to modify an MX PCB for Alps compatibility. Maybe Matt3o will add it for a later revision. :)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #148 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 12:01:20 »
Another silly question for you matteo, im sorry, i am new to group buys so I am still wondering a ton. Is there going to be a rush to sign up for this? Will it be at risk of selling out, and should it be something that I hurry to sign up for? or are the parts produced after the signups have closed? im sorry if this is just a silly question

there's indeed a limit to the number we can produce, but I don't think we will reach it. If you see the numbers go over 450 (very unlikely) then start worrying and grab your copy right away :)

Can you autograph mine?

we are talking about the feasibility of this thing with MD, it won't be easy, though. The best thing is probably if I sign a card that will be bundled inside the box.

PS: Alps compatibility is something we discussed at some point, but it would add too much complexity to an already complex projrct, in the future... who knows...

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #149 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 12:04:59 »
Very excited Matt3o for this group buy and love The Real Fox layout.