Author Topic: The long journey of the WhiteFox  (Read 174806 times)

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: The long journey of the WhiteFox
« Reply #150 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 12:06:14 »
Can you autograph mine?

we are talking about the feasibility of this thing with MD, it won't be easy, though. The best thing is probably if I sign a card that will be bundled inside the box.

I honestly was joshing, but that would be awesome!

Offline qwack

« Reply #151 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 12:12:16 »
PS: Alps compatibility is something we discussed at some point, but it would add too much complexity to an already complex projrct, in the future... who knows...

Since the board has been designed with the help of Input Club it should be feasible, since they have alrerady done it for their Infinity pcb. Granted, the Whitefox pcb is more complex (LEDs) but slightly larger pads may not be that big of a hurdle. I would gladly give it a try once the files are released if I knew how to use KiCad.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 December 2015, 12:16:23 by qwack »

Pure Pro w/MX Red - [review]

Offline Jedi

« Reply #152 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 12:15:00 »
Push the boundaries and spread the Alps love!  :thumb: As long as you have the patience for it, it's definitely possible to modify an MX PCB for Alps compatibility. Maybe Matt3o will add it for a later revision. :)

Why stop at Alps when we have all this Topre to love.  We need a way to boost the new Topre keycaps anyway, this would be perfect  :thumb:

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #153 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 12:39:19 »
PS: Alps compatibility is something we discussed at some point, but it would add too much complexity to an already complex projrct, in the future... who knows...

Since the board has been designed with the help of Input Club it should be feasible, since they have alrerady done it for their Infinity pcb. Granted, the Whitefox pcb is more complex (LEDs) but slightly larger pads may not be that big of a hurdle. I would gladly give it a try once the files are released if I knew how to use KiCad.

it's not a technical issue but more logistics (more switch options for one). I learned that it's easier to design a product than actually bring it to your home.

Offline qwack

« Reply #154 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 12:51:10 »
That's a fair point :D I had not considered the logistical side of things obviously.

Offline ika

« Reply #155 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 15:39:28 »

Can you autograph mine?

we are talking about the feasibility of this thing with MD, it won't be easy, though. The best thing is probably if I sign a card that will be bundled inside the box.

I'm sure there's some way you can sign something digitally and have it sent over the tubes into a robot hand that translates your signature :D

Is there any way to get the LEDs on their own? I have switches and keycaps but I've got no LEDs due to relying on sethk's GB.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #156 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 16:20:01 »

Can you autograph mine?

I'm sure there's some way you can sign something digitally and have it sent over the tubes into a robot hand that translates your signature :D

Is there any way to get the LEDs on their own? I have switches and keycaps but I've got no LEDs due to relying on sethk's GB.

The FAQ at this link should give you what you need to source LEDs.

Offline qwack

« Reply #157 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 16:22:04 »
Search for "1.8 mm LEDs" on ebay and you should be set (most kinds of 3 mm LEDs should work as well, but 1.8 mm are shorter, which does not hurt if you want to use thick keycaps).

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #158 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 16:33:22 »
I'll try to keep the base kit as bare bone as possible, so more experienced users can get a WF at a very interesting price point.

LEDs are very easy to source (ebay, mouser, farnell, ...) and cost basically nothing.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #159 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 20:14:19 »
I'll try to keep the base kit as bare bone as possible, so more experienced users can get a WF at a very interesting price point.

LEDs are very easy to source (ebay, mouser, farnell, ...) and cost basically nothing.

Awesome, definitely glad to hear that. LEDs are pretty cheap, I always use eBay and getting a U.S. seller is a little more but ships so much faster in the states but still pretty cheap for a pack of 100.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #160 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 20:25:47 »
Wait, so how do the plates work, can I not get an iso winkeyless plate? Do I have to choose between the two?
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #161 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 20:45:56 »
Estimated ship date is 23 Dec? :O

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #162 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 20:51:15 »
Estimated ship date is 23 Dec? :O

Yeah, when I saw that I was extremely surprised. I think Massdrop may have gotten it wrong since Matt3o said it wouldn't be shipped until like February.

Offline Hexterdude

• I have a problem when it come to artisans
« Reply #163 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 20:57:06 »
does anyone know the estimated price for this?

Offline ika

« Reply #164 on: Wed, 09 December 2015, 21:25:36 »
How heavy is the whole keyboard? I'm not quite sure how exactly the alu bottom is built. Is it just like a low-profile tray that gets "capped" by the plate, which also serves as the case top?

Also I just realized those keycaps are dyesubbed Gateron! Hype! Wish I could buy another full TKL set...

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #165 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 01:58:51 »
Matt3o, suppose I want to order a custom plate elsewhere, because the options given do not please me. If I use the plate builder tool from swill, what are the configurations I must use on screw diameter (probably 2mm, you said you use M2 screws), width & height paddings and corner radius?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #166 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 02:41:13 »
How heavy is the whole keyboard? I'm not quite sure how exactly the alu bottom is built. Is it just like a low-profile tray that gets "capped" by the plate, which also serves as the case top?

Also I just realized those keycaps are dyesubbed Gateron! Hype! Wish I could buy another full TKL set...

Keyboard weights approx 800g. The case is a tray covered by the switch plate, the plate is also the case top. The top is flush tough not recessed.

Matt3o, suppose I want to order a custom plate elsewhere, because the options given do not please me. If I use the plate builder tool from swill, what are the configurations I must use on screw diameter (probably 2mm, you said you use M2 screws), width & height paddings and corner radius?

I'll release full specs asap.

Offline Vimto

« Reply #167 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 08:49:13 »
Will there be a way to get a 1.75 control key?
I just saw this and am in love with true fox except the caps lock key which i would prefer to switch to control
Also what switches are people looking to get with this, for someone who's new to Cherry switches which ones would you recommend for gaming?
I was thinking of going with Clears or Zealios.

HHKB Pro 2    HHKB Pro 2   Realforce 87U       WhiteFox        Keyboardio
   BT Hasu                              55g 10th      The True Fox        Model 01
  Controller                        Anniversary Ed.     On Order         On Order

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #168 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 08:52:42 »
They opened a discussion page for the board on Massdrop. You can find it here.

Offline qwack

« Reply #169 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 08:53:42 »
Zealios are all the rage, but you can't go wrong with Reds or evens Blacks for gaming. There is no best switch for any kind of use anyway, it's down to anyone's preferences. If you search the forum you'll find tons of threads named "are Reds good for typing" or "are Clears good for gaming" and lots of people answering "yes, they are".

Also according to the mockup on MD there will be 1.75 control and fn keys to replace capslock.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #170 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 08:54:31 »

look closer at the available keycaps :)

Offline Vimto

« Reply #171 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 09:13:04 »
Zealios are all the rage, but you can't go wrong with Reds or evens Blacks for gaming. There is no best switch for any kind of use anyway, it's down to anyone's preferences. If you search the forum you'll find tons of threads named "are Reds good for typing" or "are Clears good for gaming" and lots of people answering "yes, they are".

Also according to the mockup on MD there will be 1.75 control and fn keys to replace capslock.

look closer at the available keycaps :)

Thanks guys, didn't see the extra pictures on MassDrop.

So my next question for matt3o is, which switch will you be using in your white fox?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #172 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 09:26:51 »
So my next question for matt3o is, which switch will you be using in your white fox?

that's the one million dollar question. I despise tactile switches, for me only clicky or linear, with a preference on MX white, green (for clicky) and black (for linear). So I'll probably have one with linear zaelios and one with possibly mx white (just because of WHITE fox)

PS: the one I have now is a variable Cherry MX green+blue+white. It's pretty nice actually.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 December 2015, 09:29:57 by Matt3o »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #173 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 09:36:14 »

that's the one million dollar question. I despise tactile switches, for me only clicky or linear, with a preference on MX white, green (for clicky) and black (for linear). So I'll probably have one with linear zaelios and one with possibly mx white (just because of WHITE fox)

PS: the one I have now is a variable Cherry MX green+blue+white. It's pretty nice actually.

I don't know why it bothers me, but is it "Matt3o" or "matt3o"? I always thought the "M" was uppercase, but Massdrop wrote it all lowercase.

Offline Vimto

« Reply #174 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 09:41:25 »
OK thats decided it for me. Going to get it in True Fox fully assembled with Zealio's (I've never soldered before, and don't want to mess up on such a beautiful design)

Now i just want to get a Limited Edition one as well :(
Could you make the Limited Edition one Bluetooth. That would make it even more special :)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #175 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 09:51:28 »
I don't know why it bothers me, but is it "Matt3o" or "matt3o"? I always thought the "M" was uppercase, but Massdrop wrote it all lowercase.

They are both correct :)

matt3o is when I feel more robotic, Matt3o is for the human part.

OK thats decided it for me. Going to get it in True Fox fully assembled with Zealio's (I've never soldered before, and don't want to mess up on such a beautiful design)

Now i just want to get a Limited Edition one as well :(
Could you make the Limited Edition one Bluetooth. That would make it even more special :)

there will be possibly a bluetooth version, but it will take some time and I'm not sure the case could be full alu (due to interference).

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #176 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 09:54:37 »
there will be possibly a bluetooth version,

:eek:

I could totally see a bluetooth version of this being something I would use.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #177 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 09:55:08 »

I've been debating on the switch to use as well and I think you just helped me make up my mind -- MX White with white tops!

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #178 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 10:01:20 »
The whitefox is now TMK ready! https://github.com/tmk/whitefox thanks to Hasu!

I've been debating on the switch to use as well and I think you just helped me make up my mind -- MX White with white tops!

that's actually a very nice idea. where do you get the white tops?

Offline childofthehorn

« Reply #179 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 10:18:50 »
Any chance that this will support Alps?

I am all about pushing the Alps love over here!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #180 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 10:22:00 »
Any chance that this will support Alps?

I am all about pushing the Alps love over here!

It's already been mentioned in this thread and in the OP it's only supporting MX. You'd have to do a mod like E3E did on his Eagle PCB.

Offline childofthehorn

« Reply #181 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 16:01:57 »
Just trying to see if we can change some minds. this thing looks just great. Modded Gateron Blues can only get you so close.......

Offline E3E

« Reply #182 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 16:16:54 »
Just trying to see if we can change some minds. this thing looks just great. Modded Gateron Blues can only get you so close.......

I'd be happy to modify it to Alps for you if you're really itching for an Alps 65%.  :thumb:

Would have to take a gander at how close the traces are to each other, but regardless, it could most likely be done.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #183 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 16:37:40 »

I got them as part of the original AboStudio Group Buy kinruan did back in --  :eek: YIKES  :eek: -- 2013.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #184 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 16:43:09 »

I got them as part of the original AboStudio Group Buy kinruan did back in --  :eek: YIKES  :eek: -- 2013.

I'll probably have to rape some gaterons :)

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #185 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 17:25:33 »
I'd be happy to modify it to Alps
Depending on the details, maybe the best route would be to open-source the PCB files sometime near the close of orders, then you can adjust the PCB to be ALPS-only, then have a separate (PCB-Only?) GB for Alps-Adjusted-Whitefox.

But I have to side with Matt3o that concentrating on a single product, makes it more likely to be completely produced.

(but I have to agree with ChildOfTheHorn that a good ALPS PCB would be awesome. )

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #186 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 18:13:30 »

Yeah. There's no Gateron equivalent for an MX-White is there?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #187 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 18:21:24 »

Nah. Whites are clicky, but a very soft click. I guess you'd have Gateron Blues and mod them somehow to make them quieter. More work than its worth, I'm sure.

Offline E3E

« Reply #188 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 18:23:47 »

Nah. Whites are clicky, but a very soft click. I guess you'd have Gateron Blues and mod them somehow to make them quieter. More work than its worth, I'm sure.

Yeah. If you don't mind opening all the switches, I hear that it's just a matter of more lube on the slider's legs, but that might be speculation rather than fact. I can't be sure. All I know is that I want some damn vintage MX whites. :P

In general, I think it's stated that lubing clicky switches in the MX family quiets their clicks a bit.

Offline piemancoder

« Reply #189 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 22:07:06 »
This is one awesome keyboard, and I definitely want one. I have a few questions though. Will we be able to get parts by themselves? For example, just the case or just the PCB and plate. Sorry of this has been answered already.

Also, do you have any tips for building a keyboard from scratch? I wanted to try and make a keyboard, but I am very much a beginner.
Yoda grammar best has

Offline n__dles

« Reply #190 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 22:13:10 »
Also, do you have any tips for building a keyboard from scratch?
Check this thread out.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #191 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 22:58:04 »
there will be possibly a bluetooth version,

:eek:

I could totally see a bluetooth version of this being something I would use.

+1  I could see myself using a bluetooth WhiteFox as my media center keyboard.  :thumb:

Offline n__dles

« Reply #192 on: Thu, 10 December 2015, 23:22:41 »
+1  I could see myself using a bluetooth WhiteFox as my media center keyboard.  :thumb:
Keyboard orders of magnitude better than the best kbd most will ever type on serves as Hoffman's glorified remote control  :cool: :p :thumb:

Offline Jedi

« Reply #193 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 01:53:13 »
Quantity update bumped this to 1,000.  The drop strikes tonight

Offline ika

« Reply #194 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 02:04:20 »
Buy is live! I did not expect this price, and fully assembled is only another $15. That's a great deal. I'm really sad to see that it's only compatible with costar stabs, though, I despise them with a passion :(

Offline Hexterdude

• I have a problem when it come to artisans
« Reply #195 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 02:04:59 »
will this drop have a bluetooth option?

Offline Vimto

« Reply #196 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 02:09:35 »
Argh can't get it assembled with Zealios. At the moment i've ordered it as a kit, but wondering what people would recommend if I get an assembled board?

Will it be hard to assemble for someone who has 0 experience of soldering?

Offline E3E

« Reply #197 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 02:17:32 »
Argh can't get it assembled with Zealios. At the moment i've ordered it as a kit, but wondering what people would recommend if I get an assembled board?

Will it be hard to assemble for someone who has 0 experience of soldering?

Not at all. Soldering is easy peasy. Just don't hold the iron to the switch pins for too long because you might melt the housings. Just enough for the solder to wet the pin and the pad and create a secure joint. Switch soldering is one of the easiest things to do. Don't be intimidated!  :thumb:

Offline Delirious

« Reply #198 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 02:22:06 »
I remembered matt3o mentioned wanting to keep the production at 500. Was it MD that went against your will for 1000 units?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #199 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 02:46:50 »
I remembered matt3o mentioned wanting to keep the production at 500. Was it MD that went against your will for 1000 units?

we are dealing with OEMs to get the best pricing possible, so 1000 is not really that much (actually the bare minimum)