Author Topic: The long journey of the WhiteFox  (Read 174816 times)

Offline vercadium

Re: The long journey of the WhiteFox
« Reply #200 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 02:50:33 »
Argh can't get it assembled with Zealios. At the moment i've ordered it as a kit, but wondering what people would recommend if I get an assembled board?

Will it be hard to assemble for someone who has 0 experience of soldering?

Not at all. Soldering is easy peasy. Just don't hold the iron to the switch pins for too long because you might melt the housings. Just enough for the solder to wet the pin and the pad and create a secure joint. Switch soldering is one of the easiest things to do. Don't be intimidated!  :thumb:

Any quick reference guides you could link us to for switch soldering to illustrate? I could probably just go check the wiki's, but simpler to ask! :)

Offline ika

« Reply #201 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 02:55:00 »
I remembered matt3o mentioned wanting to keep the production at 500. Was it MD that went against your will for 1000 units?

we are dealing with OEMs to get the best pricing possible, so 1000 is not really that much (actually the bare minimum)

Given the sales numbers not even an hour after the debut, I think that was probably a good decision. Is it too early to call this a stunning success?

Offline n__dles

« Reply #202 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 02:58:32 »
Any quick reference guides you could link us to for switch soldering to illustrate? I could probably just go check the wiki's, but simpler to ask! :)
Soldering is much easier than I thought it would be before I started. It's more about knowing the right technique, and using the right equipment than having nimble fingers and a steady hand. I seem to remember watching a few videos from EEVblog when I first started. Anyhow invest a few hours researching, you'll be happy you did.

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #203 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 03:25:43 »
I remembered matt3o mentioned wanting to keep the production at 500. Was it MD that went against your will for 1000 units?

Agreed! I am also a noob when it comes to soldering, but I read up a lot here and followed build logs of others and it helped me a lot. Now I feel like I know more what to watch out for. I am using a Teensy to covert an old Apple keyboard to USB and will harvest switches from another keyboard to use in my Monarch keyboard. This is all good experience for putting together a board of my own. This one might be it.

I say you can do it if you arm yourself with some knowledge and the right tools.

Failing all that you might find someone to assemble it for you. :D

Offline Thumper_

• Spend all my money.
« Reply #204 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 03:26:59 »
Just entered the drop. Really excited about it.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #205 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 03:36:18 »
Given the sales numbers not even an hour after the debut, I think that was probably a good decision. Is it too early to call this a stunning success?

not until everybody get a working WhiteFox on their hands.

Offline Vimto

« Reply #206 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 04:41:40 »
Does it come with the cable i see in the pics on Massdrop?
If not where can i get a cable like that from?

HHKB Pro 2    HHKB Pro 2   Realforce 87U       WhiteFox        Keyboardio
   BT Hasu                              55g 10th      The True Fox        Model 01
  Controller                        Anniversary Ed.     On Order         On Order

Offline Thumper_

• Spend all my money.
« Reply #207 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 04:42:28 »

I don't know, but you can get those cables from pexonpcs or zeal for example.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #208 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 04:49:37 »

cable is included

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #209 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 06:12:13 »
Congrats to matt on getting this to where it is, really looking good and I'm glad so many people are excited. Personally looking forward to a premium edition.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #210 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 06:24:36 »
"Estimated ship date is March 28, 2016"

3 months is plenty of time to make a custom plate. Correct me if these (mostly guess) specs are wrong, Matt3o:
  • 8 mounting holes, diameter = 2mm
  • Width padding: 4mm
  • Height padding: 4mm
  • Plate corner radius: 2mm

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #211 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 06:34:16 »
"Estimated ship date is March 28, 2016"

3 months is plenty of time to make a custom plate. Correct me if these (mostly guess) specs are wrong, Matt3o:
  • 8 mounting holes, diameter = 2mm
  • Width padding: 4mm
  • Height padding: 4mm
  • Plate corner radius: 2mm

I'll give you full specs in the coming days, but seems pretty much right. The corner radius should be something more than that. Have to check.

Offline potatowire

« Reply #212 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 07:22:36 »
I just ordered The True Fox with Gateron Blues (because I haven't tried their blues yet). I can't wait! They're selling like hotcakes, congratulations Matt3o!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #213 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 07:40:38 »
Is there a reason Zealios don't come assembled? Are they in ZealPC's stock only?
Also, why are assembled boards cheaper than kits?

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #214 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 07:56:38 »
Ordered a kit with MX-Whites. Was going to do the Bare Bones, but I wanted the key caps and figured I'd go ahead and get the switches too.

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #215 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 08:05:24 »
Ordered a kit with MX-Whites. Was going to do the Bare Bones, but I wanted the key caps and figured I'd go ahead and get the switches too.

From what I can tell, pricing is accurate. The Gaterons are cheaper than Cherry, so while the assembled Gateron costs more than the Gateron kit, it's still cheaper than the Cherry kit.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline Jedi

« Reply #216 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 08:18:11 »
It probably wouldn't hurt if some of our esteemed SMEs in here would post some of their recommended videos for how to "best practices" in soldering a keyboard, even a reference or two to another thread they (me) could read while we patiently wait for the shipments to come in next year.  If some could throw in the specifics on temperature setting (F or C) and the exact solder type to use.  For those (me) with a Hakko FX-888D (soldering iron), soldering tip to use (bevel, chisel tip, needle point), and a FR300 (desoldering iron for mistakes), it would go a long way for a few (me).

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #217 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 08:20:34 »
The Living Soldering Thread is a good place to start.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42824.0

Offline Jedi

« Reply #218 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 08:21:51 »
Hey Matt3o, what can we do about the limited edition options that didn't make it in this first round?  Is Kunal working on this or are we just on hold?  Seems we can make something possible as a separate GB for those pieces similar to what MD did when they ran the infinity parts.

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #219 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 08:36:22 »
So my next question for matt3o is, which switch will you be using in your white fox?

that's the one million dollar question. I despise tactile switches, for me only clicky or linear, with a preference on MX white, green (for clicky) and black (for linear). So I'll probably have one with linear zaelios and one with possibly mx white (just because of WHITE fox)

PS: the one I have now is a variable Cherry MX green+blue+white. It's pretty nice actually.

Are there any quick references I can look at with respect to the Zealio Linear options vs Cherry Black & Red?

I ordered this board in Gateron Red to see how "smooth" it is compared to MX Red, but the Zealio Linear options are intriguing as well - something to consider for a second run with the special edition.

Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline loki993

« Reply #220 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 09:27:58 »
I think Ill hold out for the special edition and hopefully its not too much more expensive. Will there be another regular run too?

Offline ika

« Reply #221 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 09:29:23 »
wait, what's this about a special edition?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #222 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 09:32:20 »
Hey Matt3o, what can we do about the limited edition options that didn't make it in this first round?  Is Kunal working on this or are we just on hold?  Seems we can make something possible as a separate GB for those pieces similar to what MD did when they ran the infinity parts.

considering the number of orders in less than 24h it is very likely that we will run more in the future. But it's still early to say, we have to see if everything in production goes smooth.

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #223 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 09:49:29 »
Glad I as able to get in on this before all 500 orders are up!

Congrats Matt3o on another super awesome and successful creation! And thank you for bringing it to the community <3
omniclectic@gmail.com if you need me!

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #224 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 09:58:38 »

Congrats Matt3o on another super awesome and successful creation! And thank you for bringing it to the community <3

It's been extended to 1,000. So far we're over 400 (in less than 24 hours)!

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #225 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 10:15:08 »

It's been extended to 1,000. So far we're over 400 (in less than 24 hours)!

That's mad, will the production time stay the same though?

Offline fliptrik

« Reply #226 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 10:31:08 »
I just ordered The True Fox with Gateron Blues (because I haven't tried their blues yet). I can't wait! They're selling like hotcakes, congratulations Matt3o!

I got the same thing!  :thumb: I think part of it was that sexy photo they're using that show the clear switch tops sticking out.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #227 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 10:52:29 »
I jumped on the drop from my mobile to make sure that I didn't miss out, so I didn't focus too much on the pricing. Now that I'm reviewing my order on my desktop, I'm amazed at some of the pricing. Matt3o, you did an amazing job providing assembled boards!

Here's a breakdown of what the prices are if you're looking for a clicky switch:

$109.99 -  Barebones (-$60)
$169.99 - DIY Kit with Gateron Blue
$184.99 - Assembled with Gateron Blue (+15)
$189.99 - DIY Kit with Cherry MX-Blue (+20)
$204.99 - Assembled with Cherry MX-Blue (+$35)
$219.99 - DIY Kit with Cherry MX-White (+$50)

Unfortunately, the option I want is the most expensive, but I'm really impressed at the assembled prices. If you want stock Gateron switches, I don't know why you would opt for the assembled board for only $15 more.

Offline trees

• I like bagels.
« Reply #228 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 10:57:48 »
I do not want to miss out on this, but im short on $ to invest in a long term project :/
B.Face HHKB - B.mini - Black/Purple Custom

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #229 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 10:58:44 »
I do not want to miss out on this, but im short on $ to invest in a long term project :/

I'm in the same boat as you, trying to save to splurge on a new monitor but I've been waiting so long for this board to be released. :(
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline loki993

« Reply #230 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 11:04:03 »

From the OP:
As a side note, I'm fighting (and seems that I won the battle) for a limited edition WhiteFox, available in only one layout (#5 the true fox) with dark gold anodized case and black on dark-gray keycaps. That it is expected to be a pinch more expensive, but gosh if it will be sexy!

Now the only question is a pinch actually a pinch or sarcasm?

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #231 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 11:07:54 »

From the OP:
As a side note, I'm fighting (and seems that I won the battle) for a limited edition WhiteFox, available in only one layout (#5 the true fox) with dark gold anodized case and black on dark-gray keycaps. That it is expected to be a pinch more expensive, but gosh if it will be sexy!

Later in the thread (so somewhere above) he stated he couldn't make it work after all for this round, but he still hopes to bring it in future drop.

Offline HungryPillow

« Reply #232 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 11:46:23 »
In for an assembled Cherry MX Brown. I wanted to try the Zealios purples but they were sold out by the time I joined and didn't come assembled so I guess that made my decision easier lol
Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Filco Majestouch MX Blues | Corsair K70 RGB MX Browns | Ducky Shine 4 MX Clears / Browns | WhiteFox Aria MX Browns

Offline loki993

« Reply #233 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 12:08:12 »

From the OP:

Later in the thread (so somewhere above) he stated he couldn't make it work after all for this round, but he still hopes to bring it in future drop.

Right I wasnt expecting it this round. I was hoping for a later one because I dont think I can get in on this one.

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #234 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 12:17:32 »
kinda accidentally bought one because the paypal payment system isn't explicit when you hit "continue" that it would actually submit and process your payment. Anywhooooooooooo imma leave it alone. #truefox

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline E3E

« Reply #235 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 12:28:11 »
kinda accidentally bought one because the paypal payment system isn't explicit when you hit "continue" that it would actually submit and process your payment. Anywhooooooooooo imma leave it alone. #truefox

I hate when that happens! Good thing it won't be a regrettable purchase though. :)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #236 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 12:53:21 »

you don't fûk with fate!

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #237 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 13:09:35 »

you don't fûk with fate!

'twas meant to be.

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline kristofv

« Reply #238 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 13:45:23 »
ok, I also bought one :). Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Offline Wilkie

« Reply #239 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 14:29:42 »
So my next question for matt3o is, which switch will you be using in your white fox?

that's the one million dollar question. I despise tactile switches, for me only clicky or linear, with a preference on MX white, green (for clicky) and black (for linear). So I'll probably have one with linear zaelios and one with possibly mx white (just because of WHITE fox)

PS: the one I have now is a variable Cherry MX green+blue+white. It's pretty nice actually.

Matt3o, what's your opinion of MX Linear Grey?  Ever used it for extended typing?  Thanks and congratulations.

Offline V1ral

« Reply #240 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 15:05:53 »
Ordered one. Words cannot describe how excited I am to not only get some Zealios, but also to finally get to assemble a board from scratch.

Offline ccc24

• HHKB , Ergodox
« Reply #241 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 15:08:29 »
is there guide on how to flash the firmware? and do the costar stabilizers have the white stem insert included?
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 December 2015, 15:18:12 by ccc24 »

Offline FuriousGeorge

« Reply #242 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 15:22:36 »

With Massdrop you can always set your payment type to bitcoin if you want time to decide. You aren't asked for payment information until the drop ends. Then you have 24 hours (I think) to enter a valid payment.

Offline chalks

« Reply #243 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 16:11:01 »
Does the plate allow the switch tops to be opened without desoldering them?

I decided to go with the fully assembled Gateron Brown option as $15 is cheaper than buying a soldering iron and learning how to solder.

If at some point in the future I decide to get some purple Zealios can just I pop the switch open and swap the slider and spring in? Would that feel the same as proper Zealios?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #244 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 16:15:02 »

I decided to go with the fully assembled Gateron Brown option as $15 is cheaper than buying a soldering iron and learning how to solder.

If at some point in the future I decide to get some purple Zealios can just I pop the switch open and swap the slider and spring in? Would that feel the same as proper Zealios?

Based on the massdrop plate photos they should however, it won't work if you have LED's installed unless you use sip sockets for the LED's.

Offline E3E

« Reply #245 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 16:15:14 »

Zealios have modified contact leaves compared to normal Gaterons, so they wouldn't be compatible, at least not the purple Zealios, as the original leaf was incompatible with Cherry MX Clear sliders. I vaguely recall a member on here swapping out all the contacts on their Gateron switches for Cherry contacts just so they could use MX clear stems. This was before Zealios landed.

You can always get linear Zealios if they are still available, as those do have modified leaves that are compatible with clear stems/purple zealio stems.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 December 2015, 16:23:14 by E3E »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #246 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 16:40:13 »
is there guide on how to flash the firmware? and do the costar stabilizers have the white stem insert included?

there will be soon enough

Matt3o, what's your opinion of MX Linear Grey?  Ever used it for extended typing?  Thanks and congratulations.

I find black stiff enough, I honestly never typed for long time over a full linear gray keyboard.

Offline SwissFTW

« Reply #247 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 16:41:06 »

Related to this - I've never used Input Club before to create a layout. Can anyone tell me which is the "Fn" key? I know where I want it to be, but I dont see the "Fn" command available.

WhiteFox  | HHKB Pro 2 | KBT Pure MX Browns | CM Storm MX Browns | Ducky YOTD MX Browns | Ducky Shine II MX Browns
    TrueFox

Offline V1ral

« Reply #248 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 16:43:20 »
Related to this - I've never used Input Club before to create a layout. Can anyone tell me which is the "Fn" key? I know where I want it to be, but I dont see the "Fn" command available.

If you look on the first row under "special", there are buttons for f1-7.

Offline SwissFTW

« Reply #249 on: Fri, 11 December 2015, 16:48:42 »

If you look on the first row under "special", there are buttons for f1-7.

Ahh.. That makes sense. Thanks!!

WhiteFox  | HHKB Pro 2 | KBT Pure MX Browns | CM Storm MX Browns | Ducky YOTD MX Browns | Ducky Shine II MX Browns
    TrueFox