Author Topic: The long journey of the WhiteFox  (Read 174808 times)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
Re: The long journey of the WhiteFox
« Reply #350 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 05:26:41 »
Would you know who will be responsible for the construction of this keyboard ?

an assembly service.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #351 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 06:19:32 »

an assembly service.

Whom or where is it located?

Offline Jedi

« Reply #352 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 06:22:16 »
We all know where, we don't know whom :))

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #353 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 07:03:35 »
China. I don't know them personally... I guess there will be some Wu and some Lee.

Offline pandaaqq

« Reply #354 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 07:50:32 »
Just to clarify, everyone who is in batch 1 (even when ordered later on, just changed to batch 1 because someone cancelled) will get the special edition? That's amazing!

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #355 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 07:52:39 »
Just to clarify, everyone who is in batch 1 (even when ordered later on, just changed to batch 1 because someone cancelled) will get the special edition? That's amazing!

I don't think there is a special edition at the moment - from what I've seen and read there will be no difference between the keyboards produced for batch 1 and batch 2

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #356 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 08:11:48 »
China. I don't know them personally... I guess there will be some Wu and some Lee.

Brilliant, at least don't get any South Koreans involved (GON excluded here), already know what they're like when it comes to waiting for any keyboards.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 December 2015, 08:14:06 by Elrick »

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #357 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 08:13:51 »

Brilliant, at least don't get any South Koreans involved here, already know what they're like when it comes to waiting for any keyboards.

Best set of exchanges I've seen on here in a while.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #358 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 08:52:07 »

I don't think there is a special edition at the moment - from what I've seen and read there will be no difference between the keyboards produced for batch 1 and batch 2

there's not a "special edition" per se. First batch is considered limited edition, though.

Offline profet

« Reply #359 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 09:25:33 »

there's not a "special edition" per se. First batch is considered limited edition, though.

I guess the confusion is this:   What makes the first batch "limited edition."

How can one tell the difference between a first batch keyboard and second batch other than arrival time?
Bringing custom Ergodoxes to the masses.

My heatware: http://www.heatware.com/u/102649

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #360 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 10:10:53 »

the fact that there are only 1000 of them :)

Offline Zorberema

• * Maker
  • IG: @ZorbCaps
« Reply #361 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 10:16:24 »

Sounds limited enough to me  :)) I'm happy to be in the first batch; thank you for designing this awesome board! :)

Offline profet

« Reply #362 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 10:17:30 »

Until the second batch is made... then they are just... "old"  ?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #363 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 10:22:50 »

the first love is the one you never forget :)

Offline profet

« Reply #364 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 10:26:46 »

And don't get me wrong... this board looks amazing. I just hate the term "limited edition" As unless we're talking about virtual goods, there is a finite amount of everything.
So unless there is something special about the first batch, silk screening, caps, something, then its not really limited edition. It's just first run edition.

Offline loki993

« Reply #365 on: Thu, 17 December 2015, 11:35:44 »
I wanted one of these but I didn't have the money. Also its hard to justify the money for the second batch only to have to wait 6 months to get it. Really think it would have been better to do another drop the beginning of the year maybe.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #366 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 10:57:50 »
I made a quick video on how to correctly mount costar stabilizers

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #367 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 16:08:33 »
Just realized I've been doing it wrong. I always attached the inserts in the key and then fought it onto the stab. Your method is much easier *mind blown*

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #368 on: Fri, 18 December 2015, 16:37:21 »
I made a quick video on how to correctly mount costar stabilizers

Making a note of this -- this is the way I've always done it, but I've quite often done a poor job of explaining it with words alone. Makes things so much easier than other ways of dealing with costars.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Lunatique

• Writer, Composer, Artist, Photographer, Gamer
« Reply #369 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 14:59:55 »
I'm very tempted by the White Fox, but in order to justify it when I already have the Leopold FC660 (which I love), I'll need to make sure the programmable aspect is indeed able to do what I need.

I posted this question at the input.club forum, but it's very slow there, so I'll ask here too:

I use TouchCursor for programming navigation onto the home row so when I’m writing, I can quickly navigate without leaving the home row. I’m contemplating whether to get the White Fox, and I think it’s only worth it if I can program it to do the same with the configurator firmware. So I’d like to know how I would go about doing these macros with the online configurator (I looked at it and read the forum threads, but still cant’ figure it out).

The simple stuff is easy, such as programming I, K, J, L to become the arrow keys when an activation key is held down. But there doesn’t seem to be a way do combo keys macro, such as programming the M key to perform CTRL+LeftArrow, and the , key to perform CTRL+RightArrow. Basically any macro combos with two or more keys doesn’t seem possible, or it isn’t clear how to do it with the online configurator.

Also, if I want to designate a key to be the fn key, what am I supposed to do? And once I make it the fn key, does that mean its original function is now lost? So let's say I make the right-control key the fn key, does it then become just the fn key and can no longer perform the control function?

What if I want to use a key as the fn/activation key only when I hold it down (such as how it works in TouchCursor, where I can hold down the spacebar and it becomes the activation/fn key only when held down, but if I simply tap it, it behaves like a normal spacebar)?

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #370 on: Sat, 19 December 2015, 20:20:28 »
I just wanted to congratulate you on the success of the White Fox and even though I'm not getting one right now I am impressed with your creation. Any ideas if there will be other versions such as a 75% like a Keycool layout etc?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #371 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 03:47:57 »
I just wanted to congratulate you on the success of the White Fox and even though I'm not getting one right now I am impressed with your creation. Any ideas if there will be other versions such as a 75% like a Keycool layout etc?

too early to say, there will be more keyboards for sure, don't know yet about the layout.

Offline mtdr

« Reply #372 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 09:42:30 »

an assembly service.

Hey Matt3o, I just got into this whole world of mechanical keyboards, but man what an exciting time to join the community  :) I immediately grabbed a TrueFox :thumb:

My question is regarding the assembly service, I have done some soldering before but I don't have a soldering kit anymore, so I decided to just go for the assembled option. But for what I know, bad soldering can mess up the switches, so I'm a little worried about that. Do you vouch for this assembly service? Or should I just go and get the normal kit and assemble it myself? I would have to get myself a soldering kit and some practice since I'm a little rusty in that regard but I would rather do that if the assembly service is not expected to do a good work at it. Might even be fun, little DIY project.

Your thoughts?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #373 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 12:16:11 »

an assembly service.

Hey Matt3o, I just got into this whole world of mechanical keyboards, but man what an exciting time to join the community  :) I immediately grabbed a TrueFox :thumb:

My question is regarding the assembly service, I have done some soldering before but I don't have a soldering kit anymore, so I decided to just go for the assembled option. But for what I know, bad soldering can mess up the switches, so I'm a little worried about that. Do you vouch for this assembly service? Or should I just go and get the normal kit and assemble it myself? I would have to get myself a soldering kit and some practice since I'm a little rusty in that regard but I would rather do that if the assembly service is not expected to do a good work at it. Might even be fun, little DIY project.

Your thoughts?

I suggest to anyone who already has a soldering iron to go with the kit and assemble the keyboard at home.

If you plan on buying a soldering kit anyway (say you want to do more custom keyboards in the future), go ahead and grab the kit.

If you none of the above is true, go for the assembly service.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #374 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 16:39:07 »
If you none of the above is true, go for the assembly service.

For me personally, all those small parts being the switches, SMDs and leds are so small I can't even see them with my own eyes without using a large Magnifying Glass.

Plus my hands aren't built to play around with microscopic hardware, hence the assembly service is ideal for ugly Rock Apes  8) .

Offline sordna

« Reply #375 on: Sun, 20 December 2015, 19:35:01 »

Customizing your layout is super easy thank to the online configurator. Cross platform, web based. Design your keyboard and download the compiled firmware, ready to be flashed.

Hi, 65% is the sweet spot in compact keyboards, the fc660[cm] got it almost right except no PgUp/PgDn, yours is perfect. Very tempted to join the MD drop. Some questions if you could answer:

1. The online configurator only seems to show the Aria layout. Will the others be added ?
2. While using the keyboard how do you access layers 2, 3, etc ?
3. How do you access Pause, Scroll Lock, etc keys ? Is there a "default" firmware that has a 2nd layer with an image of the assignments we can see ?
4. Which one is the FN key and which one is the Windows key? How do you momentarily access a layer in the winkeyless version (to hit Home or End for example) ?
« Last Edit: Sun, 20 December 2015, 19:52:00 by sordna »
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #376 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 05:28:19 »

Customizing your layout is super easy thank to the online configurator. Cross platform, web based. Design your keyboard and download the compiled firmware, ready to be flashed.

Hi, 65% is the sweet spot in compact keyboards, the fc660[cm] got it almost right except no PgUp/PgDn, yours is perfect. Very tempted to join the MD drop. Some questions if you could answer:

1. The online configurator only seems to show the Aria layout. Will the others be added ?
2. While using the keyboard how do you access layers 2, 3, etc ?
3. How do you access Pause, Scroll Lock, etc keys ? Is there a "default" firmware that has a 2nd layer with an image of the assignments we can see ?
4. Which one is the FN key and which one is the Windows key? How do you momentarily access a layer in the winkeyless version (to hit Home or End for example) ?

1. All layouts will be supported of course
2. The mock-ups you see on massdrop are just to show you the keyboard layout, not the actual per-key position. You'll need an FN key for each layer you want
3. There's a default firmware, but you most likely need to flash your own
4. winkeyless is a bit up to you. You could probably set one of the right hand modifier as FN, I personally like the FN key in lieu of the Caps Lock. That's really the charm of this keyboard, you can do whatever you want with the layers.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #377 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 13:47:06 »
I took the time to write the official WhiteFox FAQ

Find it here: http://matt3o.com/whitefox-faq

In the coming days I'll set up a proper website with info and tutorials. Have fun!

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #378 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 13:50:50 »
I took the time to write the official WhiteFox FAQ

Find it here: http://matt3o.com/whitefox-faq

In the coming days I'll set up a proper website with info and tutorials. Have fun!

You linked to the wrong item on Massdrop, matt3o.

Offline V1ral

« Reply #379 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 14:06:09 »

He's trying to drop a hint.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #380 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 14:08:29 »

Buy topre keycaps for his MX board? XD

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #381 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 16:54:46 »

Buy topre keycaps for his MX board? XD

that's what happens when you work on 20 projects at the same time :) sorry, fixed.

Offline sordna

« Reply #382 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 20:00:11 »

Is there a picture anywhere that shows the FN layer of the default firmware ?

Also, hmm, would it be possible for me to install a buzzer on this keyboard to make it click ? Check out how I did it on my ergodox; I'm kind of hooked on this feature!

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=22780.msg840977#msg840977
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=22780.msg1046607#msg1046607
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline queefmonchan

« Reply #383 on: Mon, 21 December 2015, 21:02:07 »
Hey Matt3o, will the production PCB be the same as the one pictured in the promo pics? More specifically, will the PCB that we receive have the mounting holes for pcb mounted cherry stabs like the one in the pictures? Thanks! ;D

Offline STARLORDCOFFEE

• @watch_spike
« Reply #384 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 02:22:28 »

[/quote]

Off Topic but I just had to comment on your location...Saitama. Don't know if you are familiar with One Punch Man, it is so legit.

Model M              BL82          JD45          HHKB        RF

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #385 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 04:11:14 »

Off Topic but I just had to comment on your location...Saitama. Don't know if you are familiar with One Punch Man, it is so legit.
[/quote]

Haha yeah. I am familiar with the name only.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #386 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 04:47:53 »

Is there a picture anywhere that shows the FN layer of the default firmware ?

Also, hmm, would it be possible for me to install a buzzer on this keyboard to make it click ? Check out how I did it on my ergodox; I'm kind of hooked on this feature!

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=22780.msg840977#msg840977
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=22780.msg1046607#msg1046607

I'll post the final layout in the coming days (we made few changes recently).

It should be possible to add the buzzer... not completely sure, have to check.

Hey Matt3o, will the production PCB be the same as the one pictured in the promo pics? More specifically, will the PCB that we receive have the mounting holes for pcb mounted cherry stabs like the one in the pictures? Thanks! ;D

yes, the PCB supports PCB mounted cherry stabs (as per the FAQ :P )

Offline Hexterdude

• I have a problem when it come to artisans
« Reply #387 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 04:49:07 »
When do you think a bluetooth version of the whitefox will be released?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #388 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 05:09:01 »

I'm working on that, but it really takes years to design something like that in the spare time. I hope to be able to get a first PCB prototype in Q1 2016... then the case... then looking for manufacturers...

Offline Hexterdude

• I have a problem when it come to artisans
« Reply #389 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 05:13:09 »

I'm working on that, but it really takes years to design something like that in the spare time. I hope to be able to get a first PCB prototype in Q1 2016... then the case... then looking for manufacturers...

Awesome, i'm really looking forward to it! Do you plan for it to just be bluetooth or also wired compatible?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #390 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 05:32:23 »

Awesome, i'm really looking forward to it! Do you plan for it to just be bluetooth or also wired compatible?

not sure about that yet. depends on complexity. it will be powered by usb for sure, but connection could still be BT only.

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #391 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 09:13:39 »
I wish the 1u top row layout didn't have that unsightly gap in the bottom row. :( Making my choice quite difficult. Might have to go with a custom plate.

Offline qwack

« Reply #392 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 09:24:20 »
It's not unsightly, it's ergonomic ;D But you can either make a custom plate, or file down the one you'll get since the PCB itself supports all switch positions.

Pure Pro w/MX Red - [review]

Offline MrRooks

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Always be knolling
« Reply #393 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 09:27:50 »

Offline qwack

« Reply #394 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 09:38:12 »
Honestly I find the six 1u-keys in a row on my Pure Pro a bit annoying, so I completely understand the choice to leave a gap between the 1.25u mods and the arrow keys on most layouts.

Pure Pro w/MX Red - [review]

Offline queefmonchan

« Reply #395 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 11:04:47 »

yes, the PCB supports PCB mounted cherry stabs (as per the FAQ :P )

Thanks for the reply  :thumb: I looked at the FAQ but it figures that I would miss that..

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #396 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 11:07:17 »

yes, the PCB supports PCB mounted cherry stabs (as per the FAQ :p )

Thanks for the reply  :thumb: I looked at the FAQ but it figures that I would miss that..

This is very good, it is a pain to remove keycaps with Costar stabilizers.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #397 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 11:22:16 »

yes, the PCB supports PCB mounted cherry stabs (as per the FAQ :p )

This is very good, it is a pain to remove keycaps with Costar stabilizers.

pain is good. pain makes you stronger.

Offline mtdr

« Reply #398 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 19:55:37 »
Question for the more experienced. Would a Weller WP25 be enough to put this keyboard together, diodes, switches and LEDs?

http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WP25-Professional-25Watts-Soldering/dp/B000B63BTU/ref=sr_1_7?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1344112191&sr=1-7&keywords=Weller+soldering+iron

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #399 on: Tue, 22 December 2015, 19:58:37 »
Question for the more experienced. Would a Weller WP25 be enough to put this keyboard together, diodes, switches and LEDs?

http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WP25-Professional-25Watts-Soldering/dp/B000B63BTU/ref=sr_1_7?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1344112191&sr=1-7&keywords=Weller+soldering+iron

In my experience the ax tip works better than the conic one for SMD, but for pass through components you may be ok with pretty much any soldering iron.