Author Topic: The long journey of the WhiteFox  (Read 174808 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Re: The long journey of the WhiteFox
« Reply #450 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 08:09:34 »
Today I received a new test case I asked the manufacturer (we are a bit late I know, but I really wanted to try a thing).

I'm typing on the whitefox since a couple of weeks now and it's absolutely divine, but I would have liked it to be few mm shorter in height so the wrists stay in a more natural position. Please note that we are in the "fanatic" field here, nobody would have probably noticed and the previous case was just fine... but now... ohmy. This is pure heaven. It's like orgasm for your fingers.

This is the case now (left) and before (right).

Show Image

This just to show you the level of maniacal research for perfection I'm putting into this thing.

I want to thank once again MD for accepting all my crazy last minute requests.

They'd better listen to you; because, it was this level of detail that makes this a successful drop.

Offline sordna

« Reply #451 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 13:51:11 »
Today I received a new test case I asked the manufacturer (we are a bit late I know, but I really wanted to try a thing).

I'm typing on the whitefox since a couple of weeks now and it's absolutely divine, but I would have liked it to be few mm shorter in height so the wrists stay in a more natural position. Please note that we are in the "fanatic" field here, nobody would have probably noticed and the previous case was just fine... but now... ohmy. This is pure heaven. It's like orgasm for your fingers.

This is the case now (left) and before (right).

Show Image

This just to show you the level of maniacal research for perfection I'm putting into this thing.

I want to thank once again MD for accepting all my crazy last minute requests.

Thank YOU! The lower the height the better, as you can always raise a keyboard (with feet, etc) but you cannot lower it :-)
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline sordna

« Reply #452 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 15:29:31 »
Forgot to mention, kudos for making the keyboard flat, not tilted like the MagicForce and most others. Some of us need keyboards to be flat, even with negative tilt sometimes. I place my keyboards as low as possible, and use them without feet.

Unrelated request: Would you be so kind and mention how many keys the keyboard has in the OP, for each layout ? It would be nice to easily refer to this info at a glance.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #453 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 15:58:10 »
Forgot to mention, kudos for making the keyboard flat, not tilted like the MagicForce and most others. Some of us need keyboards to be flat, even with negative tilt sometimes. I place my keyboards as low as possible, and use them without feet.

Unrelated request: Would you be so kind and mention how many keys the keyboard has in the OP, for each layout ? It would be nice to easily refer to this info at a glance.

I also use negative tilt and it is very comfortable. That small detail alone alleviated an incipient case of carpal tunnel syndrome.

Offline STARLORDCOFFEE

• @watch_spike
« Reply #454 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 20:01:03 »
Got some White Fox pixel art made in case anyone wants it.
 :p

Model M              BL82          JD45          HHKB        RF

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #455 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 01:01:22 »

aaaaw! that is so lovely :)

I was actually pondering to make the next run in just one chunk of aluminum (like the MagicForce), but your reasoning totally makes sense and being able to negative-tilt it is a huge plus.

between 67 and 69 I believe. I'll post about it. I'm setting up a blog right now with everything about the whitefox (and other projects of mine)

Offline sordna

« Reply #456 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 01:31:46 »
You know what the best thing would be to add to this keyboard, right? Trackpoint. Maybe you should join forces with lowpoly :-)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #457 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 01:51:18 »
You know what the best thing would be to add to this keyboard, right? Trackpoint. Maybe you should join forces with lowpoly :-)

I'm not a huge fan of trackpoints especially those in the middle of the keyboard... I'm trying to find the right way to include a pointer device somehow. Maybe a small joypad to the upper right replacing the top-right key.

Offline RNT

« Reply #458 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 10:16:45 »
Hey Matt3o, congrats on the success of the MK.

I got mine in the second batch, is there a possibility that the 314 in the second batch can be delivered earlier since it was planned that 1000 would be for May and now theres 314?

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #459 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 10:38:29 »

I'm not a huge fan of trackpoints especially those in the middle of the keyboard... I'm trying to find the right way to include a pointer device somehow. Maybe a small joypad to the upper right replacing the top-right key.

I think most of the people will hesitate to drill a nice OG set just to fit around a track point in the middle of the keyboard. I am a long time user of Thinkpads and I have never got accustomed to use the track point only, while I use it with my Thinkpad when it is in its portable mode, I always look for a regular mouse to do heavy work. The entire idea of a track point as a mouse pointer is not as good as regular mice or pads.

Offline sordna

« Reply #460 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 12:56:27 »
Yes trackpoints are not good enough as a primary input device for heavy work, but their value lies in the fact they ARE in the middle of the keyboard so you don't have to move your hands away from the typing position if you want to move the pointer to click on something.

Offline codywanks

« Reply #461 on: Tue, 05 January 2016, 06:22:18 »

I like how it looks more Aria than True Fox :p

Don't mind if I use it!

Offline STARLORDCOFFEE

• @watch_spike
« Reply #462 on: Sat, 09 January 2016, 03:02:11 »
Tried my hand in them again. Made each layout this time  ;)

Vanilla

ISO

Aria

Winkeyless

True Fox

Jack of All Trades

Offline Troif

• Carpe Diem!!!
    • Daniel Ferrer
« Reply #463 on: Sun, 10 January 2016, 07:33:26 »
Super nice pixelated layouts. Congratulations @starlordcoffee

About the height, this is super. Those details made the @Matt3o we love. We will follow you (the only thing I do not understand is that you do not like tactile switches much... )
--
Filco TKL Ninja Blues / CODE Greens / Pok3r Clears / HHKBpro2 / RF 87U 55g / Novatouch TKL / KC60 Clears / SSK and also regular Model M

Offline mastermachetier

« Reply #464 on: Mon, 11 January 2016, 21:57:26 »
has the order for this already been put through ? i saw you said it would start before christmas.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #465 on: Tue, 12 January 2016, 01:50:46 »
has the order for this already been put through ? i saw you said it would start before christmas.

the gears already started spinning a long ago :)

Offline SwissFTW

« Reply #466 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 11:10:05 »

HYPE!!!

WhiteFox  | HHKB Pro 2 | KBT Pure MX Browns | CM Storm MX Browns | Ducky YOTD MX Browns | Ducky Shine II MX Browns
    TrueFox

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #467 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 13:53:57 »

Do you think it would be possible to get production shots? Those would look awesome I think. Is there a place for updates?
pls gief bbv2

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #468 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 13:55:34 »
Do you think it would be possible to get production shots? Those would look awesome I think. Is there a place for updates?

I think this would be the place for updates. What sort of updates are you waiting on?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #469 on: Wed, 13 January 2016, 14:46:31 »
I'll post something regarding the development process in the coming days.

Offline mastermachetier

« Reply #470 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 12:56:22 »

This is exciting. Hopefully the next time geekhack designs something like this I can get in on it :( so sad i missed the whitefox.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #471 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 13:07:18 »

:( so sad i missed the whitefox.

Me too.   :'(
I was all on board and excited, but then holiday shopping got the best of me and had to bail at the last minute. Here's hoping there's a second round.

Offline piemancoder

« Reply #472 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 18:47:43 »

:( so sad i missed the whitefox.

Me too.   :'(
I was all on board and excited, but then holiday shopping got the best of me and had to bail at the last minute. Here's hoping there's a second round.

^ This. So sad I missed out.  :'(   ;_;
Yoda grammar best has

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #473 on: Thu, 14 January 2016, 22:37:23 »
I feel ya, I was unsure if it's what I wanted so I waited until the last day, and for some reason or another, I promptly forgot. =(

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #474 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 04:55:26 »

I think this would be the place for updates. What sort of updates are you waiting on?

I'm just generally really interested in technology etc. I'm thinking pictures of the PCB's during construction, milling of cases, moulding of keycaps... They would tell a great story, but I have no idea how realistic those things are.
pls gief bbv2

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #475 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 07:12:07 »

I'm just generally really interested in technology etc. I'm thinking pictures of the PCB's during construction, milling of cases, moulding of keycaps... They would tell a great story, but I have no idea how realistic those things are.

Manufacturing facilities do not have staff in excess as to have someone taking pictures and Matt and MD personnel are too far from manufacturing sites as to document the processes, a shot or two maybe, but not an entire documentation.

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #476 on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 07:52:13 »
Manufacturing facilities do not have staff in excess as to have someone taking pictures and Matt and MD personnel are too far from manufacturing sites as to document the processes, a shot or two maybe, but not an entire documentation.

Fair enough and I certainly understand. Merely wanted to say that that would be super cool.
pls gief bbv2

Offline STARLORDCOFFEE

• @watch_spike
« Reply #477 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 18:10:59 »
Final iteration of the White Fox pixel art. IMO they look a lot cleaner now. Thanks jb1830 for helping with these.  :thumb:

Vanilla               

ISO                   

Aria                   

Winkeyless         

True Fox             

Jack of all trades
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 January 2016, 18:14:21 by STARLORDCOFFEE »

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #478 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 18:22:55 »
Final iteration of the White Fox pixel art. IMO they look a lot cleaner now. Thanks jb1830 for helping with these.  :thumb:

Vanilla               
Show Image

ISO                   
Show Image

Aria                   
Show Image

Winkeyless         
Show Image

True Fox             
Show Image

Jack of all trades
Show Image

I can't tell a difference from the last post, damn things are so tiny. :p
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #479 on: Thu, 21 January 2016, 09:54:32 »

Aria                   
Show Image

Used!
pls gief bbv2

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #480 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 11:52:47 »
I published some more info about the development of the WhiteFox http://matt3o.com/whitefox-the-making-of/

Most of it is already available in the first post, but there are some additional nice curiosities you might be interested in.

Offline thaddeus

« Reply #481 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 13:47:46 »
I published some more info about the development of the WhiteFox http://matt3o.com/whitefox-the-making-of/

Most of it is already available in the first post, but there are some additional nice curiosities you might be interested in.

Nice post  :thumb: Thanks for sharing!

Offline piemancoder

« Reply #482 on: Fri, 22 January 2016, 14:01:20 »

Very interesting. I remember how I originally found the Brownfox on DT, and it was what got me interested in building a keyboard.
Yoda grammar best has

Offline radec

« Reply #483 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 09:07:24 »
wow, the Whitefox looks great. Sorry for lazy question, but will be available to buy at any point from now?

Offline hkf

• your #1 fan
« Reply #484 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 10:12:29 »
wow, the Whitefox looks great. Sorry for lazy question, but will be available to buy at any point from now?
Possibly q4 this year

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #485 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 10:55:06 »
Possibly q4 this year

Yeh...

Offline radec

« Reply #486 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 11:23:45 »
Possibly q4 this year

Yeh...

Oh right. Thank you.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #487 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 17:06:14 »
Q4 is when you'd get it considering the usual 3 months production time. The drop might start earlier of course, but anyway that's mere speculation. We don't even know if we are actually going to run more.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #488 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 19:33:52 »
Q4 is when you'd get it considering the usual 3 months production time. The drop might start earlier of course, but anyway that's mere speculation. We don't even know if we are actually going to run more.

Some extra sales would not hurt the manufacturers.

Offline hkf

• your #1 fan
« Reply #489 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 20:26:33 »

If anyone knows it should be you  :D

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #490 on: Sat, 30 January 2016, 20:30:22 »

If anyone knows it should be you  :D

Tell that to Gateron and selling his caps. ;)

Offline qwack

« Reply #491 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 04:50:06 »
Maybe I remember wrong, but I think it was said the WF would (legitimately) be available from taobao at some point.

Pure Pro w/MX Red - [review]

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #492 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 07:53:26 »
Maybe I remember wrong, but I think it was said the WF would (legitimately) be available from taobao at some point.

yes, that might happen. They asked for permission which we gave. That doesn't mean that I am getting anything from those sales, just that they will sell clones from China with our permission instead of sell anyway without our permission.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #493 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 08:57:43 »

yes, that might happen. They asked for permission which we gave. That doesn't mean that I am getting anything from those sales, just that they will sell clones from China with our permission instead of sell anyway without our permission.

Clones as in copies or clones as in genuine but not a GB format?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #494 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 09:00:15 »
technically the "WhiteFox" is just the one that I officially endorse. All others are clones.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 February 2016, 07:45:48 by Matt3o »

Offline sordna

« Reply #495 on: Sun, 31 January 2016, 20:05:01 »
Is my understanding correct that like the Ergodox, all designs, specs, firmware, etc of the WhiteFox are public and open source?
If that's the case anyone can build them and sell without permission.

Now some open source software has some clauses that you are free to do whatever you wish, as long as you keep the original copyright notice so people can see where it was derived from. Is there such a clause with the WhiteFox , or can people sell it under a different name without any reference to the original name or creator?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #496 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 07:45:24 »
the board is open source and you can do whatever you want with it, but you can't sell it as officially endorsed by me or I:C or Massdrop.

meaning that I do not check on the production process of "clones" so you can't say that you are selling a WhiteFox, just a whitefox clone.
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 February 2016, 07:47:14 by Matt3o »

Offline DAVYtm

• #dateless
« Reply #497 on: Mon, 01 February 2016, 11:18:09 »
Man I wish I had gotten in on this drop now, especially with all of the new sets coming out having row compatibility (my original concern). Will be watching the aftermarket to try to snag one when the first batch gets shipped :p

Offline hkf

• your #1 fan
« Reply #498 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 03:13:39 »
Matteo, you should make an advent calendar to the date of shipping :) Today I caught myself wistfully thinking about 2~months in the future.

Offline FLFisherman

• * Elevated Elder
  • I'd rather be fishing.
« Reply #499 on: Fri, 05 February 2016, 06:30:10 »
Matteo, you should make an advent calendar to the date of shipping :) Today I caught myself wistfully thinking about 2~months in the future.
The waiting is the hardest part. :)