Author Topic: The long journey of the WhiteFox  (Read 174813 times)

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
Re: The long journey of the WhiteFox
« Reply #550 on: Sat, 28 May 2016, 06:37:09 »
matt3o, what's the exact height of only the case (base to plate top)?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #551 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 04:29:45 »
matt3o, what's the exact height of only the case (base to plate top)?

12mm

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #552 on: Sun, 29 May 2016, 05:12:28 »
Thanks!

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #553 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 04:31:27 »
Lol god damn, I bought a bunch of gear to stream the build. And then I remembered I bought it assembled...
pls gief bbv2

Offline Wazazaby

« Reply #554 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 05:10:04 »
A WhiteFox with rgb underglow would be pretty cool!

Offline adamski07

• * Maker
  • adamskimodz|fudorekz12
« Reply #555 on: Fri, 10 June 2016, 17:29:09 »
My PurpleFox  :thumb:Thanks again Matt30 for this awesome board!

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
« Reply #556 on: Sat, 11 June 2016, 01:35:06 »
In less than ideal lighting conditions:

Still have to order and install 1.8mm LEDs.

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #557 on: Sat, 11 June 2016, 02:22:52 »
Everything is assembled, LEDs are all working fine but my WhiteFox is stuttering: "thhe quiicck brown fox jumpss over the lazy dog"

Any ideas whaht I did wrong and hhow to fiix it?  :confused:
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline Jumie

« Reply #558 on: Sat, 11 June 2016, 10:18:59 »
Everything is assembled, LEDs are all working fine but my WhiteFox is stuttering: "thhe quiicck brown fox jumpss over the lazy dog"

what switch did u use?

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #559 on: Sat, 11 June 2016, 10:56:01 »

I had this issue on the 'j' when I built mine, but it went away when I reflowed the solder joints and added a bit more solder.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline Zorox

• Tactile FTW <3
« Reply #560 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 13:45:55 »
I have recieved my bare bones kit yesterday, and yes it was awesome, the packaging, and the board itself is at a very high quality level. And Matt3o pls dont forger your promise of sharing the plate dimension for custom layout :p

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #561 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 15:20:25 »

what switch did u use?

Purple Zealio Switches (Tactile) - 62g (round 1 GB I think? 08/26/2015)

I had this issue on the 'j' when I built mine, but it went away when I reflowed the solder joints and added a bit more solder.

WhiteFox was my first real attempt at soldering so I'll have to go over the joints and see if they look problematic.
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline decker

« Reply #562 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 17:14:16 »
In less than ideal lighting conditions:

Show Image

Still have to order and install 1.8mm LEDs.

I had a regular kb with tengwar stickers 15 years ago !
Forgot the phonetics since then !

Offline thaddeus

« Reply #563 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 23:38:27 »

what switch did u use?

Purple Zealio Switches (Tactile) - 62g (round 1 GB I think? 08/26/2015)

WhiteFox was my first real attempt at soldering so I'll have to go over the joints and see if they look problematic.

This was my situation: Soldering my first keyboard with R1 Zealios 65g. The 'f' and ';' keys were stuttering quite frequently. After a few seconds of heat and a dab more of solder, and the stuttering went away.

Loving the board so far, I was able to flash the keyboard with an Input.Club configuration. Wondering if anyone has an OSX key layout you wouldn't mind sharing :)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #564 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 04:13:32 »
My PurpleFox  :thumb:Thanks again Matt30 for this awesome board!

Show Image

this is really amazing! congrats!

Offline Thumper_

• Spend all my money.
« Reply #565 on: Sun, 19 June 2016, 15:31:39 »

Thank you Matteo. The quality is excellent.

Offline Sempre

« Reply #566 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 11:49:39 »
I received my Whitefox a while back but I just finished building it.
Thanks Matt3o. The Packaging was excellent, quality of the keyboard is top notch and overall great design.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #567 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 12:02:31 »

Love this board. Almost wishing now that I'd got two.

Built it with stock clears. All keys are as labelled, except for esc (which is `~ with esc on the function layer) and 'menu' which is actually my function key.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #568 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 12:24:28 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Built it with stock clears. All keys are as labelled, except for esc (which is `~ with esc on the function layer) and 'menu' which is actually my function key.

Thanks Matt3o. The Packaging was excellent, quality of the keyboard is top notch and overall great design.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

nice

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #569 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 02:21:12 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Fantastic builds! Both of you!

Thanks for sharing!

Offline codywanks

« Reply #570 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 03:19:48 »
Hi matt3o, it seems that some people who ordered early in Batch #1 are receiving boards without engraving. Could you please comment on this?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #571 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 04:19:02 »
Hi matt3o, it seems that some people who ordered early in Batch #1 are receiving boards without engraving. Could you please comment on this?

unfortunately I can't. meaning that I don't know what happened.

Initially I told MD that I wanted to give early birds a reward, so "whitefox prima" was born. The first 1000 orders should have received it. Then I was told that probably everybody would have gotten a PRIMA. But that clearly didn't happen.

So, my educated guess is that the manufacturer put the PRIMA engraving in the order they produced the keyboards (which is not the same as users' order number). MassDrop couldn't fix that because of the many options the whitefox came with. It is very unfortunate but I believe it comes from a miscommunication between MD and the manufacturer.

Offline codywanks

« Reply #572 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 05:04:44 »
...my educated guess is that the manufacturer put the PRIMA engraving in the order they produced the keyboards (which is not the same as users' order number). MassDrop couldn't fix that because of the many options the whitefox came with. It is very unfortunate but I believe it comes from a miscommunication between MD and the manufacturer.

Alright, thanks for your insight. Still have no idea where my order is, though  :(

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #573 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 11:08:29 »
My Whitefox is taking a literal long journey, at least time wise. It took 5 days to get from the US to Brussels and it's been laying there for over 10 days now... I've never had to exercise this much patience waiting for a package from Massdrop...
pls gief bbv2

Offline Wulkes

« Reply #574 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 10:50:43 »
I'm having an issue where my whitefox operates as if i'm always pressing down the control key, even after I desoldered and removed those switches. Can someone help me troubleshoot this?

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #575 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 10:54:07 »
I'm having an issue where my whitefox operates as if i'm always pressing down the control key, even after I desoldered and removed those switches. Can someone help me troubleshoot this?

Did you use the firmware configurator, or are you using the firmware that came on the board originally?

Offline Wulkes

« Reply #576 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 10:59:34 »

Did you use the firmware configurator, or are you using the firmware that came on the board originally?
Yes, sorry, should have said. Flashed several times, doesn't change.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #577 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 11:01:20 »

Can you post the zip file you downloaded with firmware? I remember having some trouble with mine with keys not matching what the configurator said, and I wonder if this is a related problem.

Offline Wulkes

« Reply #578 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 11:05:40 »

Can you post the zip file you downloaded with firmware? I remember having some trouble with mine with keys not matching what the configurator said, and I wonder if this is a related problem.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4AfTVpoQat5clBUUTJVV0stSkU

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #579 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 11:09:44 »

Do you know if both ctrl keys are being held down or if it's only one or the other?

Offline Wulkes

« Reply #580 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 11:14:59 »

Do you know if both ctrl keys are being held down or if it's only one or the other?
No, shouldn't be either. I desoldered and removed the switches entirely thinking that would answer the question you're asking.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #581 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 11:17:55 »
No, shouldn't be either. I desoldered and removed the switches entirely thinking that would answer the question you're asking.

That's not quite what I meant -- does it appear to the computer that both keys are held down, or is it a particular keycode that's being sent. Try something like aquakeytest if you're on Windows, or xev if you're on mac/linux.

Offline Wulkes

« Reply #582 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 11:21:54 »

That's not quite what I meant -- does it appear to the computer that both keys are held down, or is it a particular keycode that's being sent. Try something like aquakeytest if you're on Windows, or xev if you're on mac/linux.
Ah, right ctrl. Similar program I was using wasn't seeing either register.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 July 2016, 11:25:30 by Wulkes »

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #583 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 11:30:45 »

What happens if you reflash so that the key that currently is assigned as right ctrl is now assigned as something else? Is the new key held down, or is it still sending right ctrl all the time?

Offline Wulkes

« Reply #584 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 11:40:04 »

What happens if you reflash so that the key that currently is assigned as right ctrl is now assigned as something else? Is the new key held down, or is it still sending right ctrl all the time?
Still sending right control.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #585 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 11:46:15 »

So there's no right control assigned anywhere in the keymap, but it's still sending that key all the time? All I can think of is that there's some bug in the source code or some physical issue with your keyboard. Has it always had this issue?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #586 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 13:56:44 »
we need to see your solder job!

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #587 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 14:10:19 »
On the I:C forums we've also heard of issues with Win10 drivers. What operating system are you running? And, do you have another machine you can test on?

Offline Wulkes

« Reply #588 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 14:28:12 »

So there's no right control assigned anywhere in the keymap, but it's still sending that key all the time? All I can think of is that there's some bug in the source code or some physical issue with your keyboard. Has it always had this issue?
we need to see your solder job!

This is going to be embarrassing but ok. http://imgur.com/a/DOnn7 Not my first time but it's been a while.

After restarting and reinstalling the firmware I got right control to stop registering but now can't get another switch to register at all. Also can't get spacebar to register. Worried I overheated some of the gen 1 or something. So frustrating, spent 3+ hours a day this week trying to finish this and get it working and feels like I keep digging a deeper hole.

Offline Parak

« Reply #589 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 17:06:25 »
This is going to be embarrassing but ok. http://imgur.com/a/DOnn7 Not my first time but it's been a while.

Yeah that's fairly bad soldering :( Soldering advice aside (hop on irc if you want that), I think you have a solder bridge on the spacebar switch. The right pin seems to have a bit of solder going up to an empty pad in the adjacent position. In that position, the empty pad is the other pin of the same switch, so effectively that would short the switch and could confuse the controller. Use clean and shiny solder tip with a bit of flux to get the excess solder off and clear the bridge.

Offline Cados

« Reply #590 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 17:19:34 »
I have a quick question. Is the capslock button supposed to light up when caps is activated? On my whitefox it doesnt but all the LEDs do work when I turn on the brightness.
Zeal60 - Zealios 78g
HHKB Type 2

Offline Wulkes

« Reply #591 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 18:19:12 »

Yeah that's fairly bad soldering :( Soldering advice aside (hop on irc if you want that), I think you have a solder bridge on the spacebar switch. The right pin seems to have a bit of solder going up to an empty pad in the adjacent position. In that position, the empty pad is the other pin of the same switch, so effectively that would short the switch and could confuse the controller. Use clean and shiny solder tip with a bit of flux to get the excess solder off and clear the bridge.
Yeah, had to switch to a new brand fairly early and the temp difference threw me, that and being afraid to scorch the first gen zeals further harmed my already novice technique. But I swear I've gotten the hang of it now that I've already screwed up.

Advice on the space bar was spot on, thanks!! Got it working. Right control and "K" still giving me trouble.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #592 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 18:45:01 »

Yeah, had to switch to a new brand fairly early and the temp difference threw me, that and being afraid to scorch the first gen zeals further harmed my already novice technique. But I swear I've gotten the hang of it now that I've already screwed up.

Advice on the space bar was spot on, thanks!! Got it working. Right control and "K" still giving me trouble.

There might be a solder bridge on right control as well, it's hard to tell from that picture. If possible, try cleaning up anything that's giving you trouble.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #593 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 19:15:47 »
Received my WhiteFox kit recently. Very favorably impressed with the beautiful design of everything, including the packaging. Given my procrastination in getting to my various DIY projects, I probably should have opted for a fully assembled board (if this was indeed an option -- I've forgotten), although I am still undecided about which switches to use.

Offline codywanks

« Reply #594 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 20:05:02 »
This is going to be embarrassing but ok. Not my first time but it's been a while.

that's what she said  ;)

Offline Wulkes

« Reply #595 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 22:10:30 »
This is going to be embarrassing but ok. Not my first time but it's been a while.

that's what she said  ;)
Glad I didn't say "be gentle"  :-X

Offline Brammm87

« Reply #596 on: Sat, 16 July 2016, 01:50:01 »
€76 euro custom taxes. RIP.
pls gief bbv2

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #597 on: Sat, 16 July 2016, 04:21:16 »

you have to clear all those pads and start over. Use less solder and try to be sharp on those pads.

Offline eeymiel

« Reply #598 on: Sun, 17 July 2016, 12:33:38 »
Finally received my whitefox this week :) True Fox layout is as amazing in use as it looked  :thumb:
142617-0
Some white keycaps have a little blue or red dot on them and I didn't receive an "any key", but I hope massdrop will fix that.

I'd like to add an rgb led to indicate what layer I'm on. I see some pins above the spacebar that I think I can use for this. I do have transparent zealio switches, so I hope it will bleed through. I can program so I think I can add this to the firmware.
Any tips from more experienced modders in how I would add this?
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 July 2016, 13:41:18 by eeymiel »

Offline dannrawr

« Reply #599 on: Fri, 22 July 2016, 09:44:15 »
phew new drop

WTF any Bruce, Cosmonauts