Author Topic: [IC] Austin - Compact Full Size Keyboard (Rollout Update!)  (Read 58824 times)

Offline driftingbunnies

Rollout Update!

Hey guys, PCBs are in and keys have been tested. One thing we've discovered with the ARM processor is that simple LED functionality isn't implemented yet on QMK but Gondo is currently working on a workaround. If we can't figure it out before the GB starts, we have a few options, 1) lights will either be always on or always off, 2) we adjust the case so that there won't be any indicators and it's just a design in that spot, 3) PCB needs to be redesigned to accommodate addressable LEDs or switched to a different processor (probably least ideal because it might cause delays during fulfillment).  Besides that, PCB fits well, all keys are recognized and we're good to start sending the prototype off to streamers!

First streamer will be to MechsOnDeck host Chewwy. He'll be streaming a build at ~8pm CT on Tuesday (9/10). Be sure to check out his stream for a first look! https://www.twitch.tv/mechsondeck

After Chewwy's build, I'll be bringing the case over to 001anthony. Currently we're planning to do an unboxing on his Monday stream (9/16) and a build stream on Saturday (9/21). I believe both streams normally start ~9:30pm CT. https://www.twitch.tv/001anthony

I will try to be available for all of these streams but I can't promise I'll be around the entire stream. Be sure to ask any questions you have in the beginning or come drop by the discord. https://discord.gg/fmetSXH

After the build streams, I'll be shipping that prototype to PheonixStarr to double check everything and make any small adjustments if needed to the case. I will be bringing a few other prototypes to the Austin meetup on the 28th so if you're able to attend that, make sure to come say hi!

GB will start on the 29th at 9AM CT. More details will be posted here before the GB thread opens. Thanks for being patient!

Hi everyone! I've teamed up with two great partners, PheonixStarr from Nightingale Studios (designer for the Ti-65) and Gondolindrim (known for the SharkPCB and Acheron), to bring you "Austin".

Please fill out the IC Form!
IC Form

Discord Server

The purpose of the board is to create a full size replacement while reducing the width. The board features a full size numpad, separated arrow keys, and easy keycap compatibility for most custom keysets (no uncommon key sizes). It's great for those who need the functionality of a full size but don't want to give up the quality that a custom keyboard provides.

Specifications:
  • Aluminum top and bottom - 6063
  • Brass weight - Sandblasted
  • Top mounted
  • 5.5 degree slope
  • Fixed plates for ANSI and ISO (ISO plates will be MOQ 10)
  • Plate material - Brass (standard), CF, PC
  • QMK PCB with USB C
  • USB ESD protection on the data lines
  • ESD inrush current from case protection on par with IEC EMC standards
  • Overvoltage and overcurrent protection
  • ARM processor

Pricing:
40 Units FCFS
Standard Kit (Aluminum case with weight, PCB, and brass plate) - $475
Extra Brass Plate - TBD
Extra CF Plate - TBD
Extra PC Plate - TBD
Extra PCB - TBD

Colors offerred:
Onyx Black
Titanium Gray
Cobalt Blue
Sterling Silver

New Renders as of 6/16:
Austin ft. GMK Rudy* Renders with keycaps are for demonstration only for those who might be confused Starston3 & Pluto. The GB will not include keycaps.
221303-0

221289-1

221291-2

221301-3

221299-4

Expanded views
221295-5

221297-6

221293-7

by PheonixStarr. Hit him up for some crispy renders

Layout:
221931-8

The layout has been decided based on the feedback on the DB01 IC thread. It looks like most people preferred a fixed layout, and the two bottom rows shown were the most popular. This cuts down on having too much Swiss cheese and keeps the plate simpler so it's easier to keep switches straight. I've also cut down on the usual 1u compatibility of the numpad for "Enter"  since this board already provides all keys found on a full size. In order to accomplish the dual bottom layout of 1.5/1.5/7/1.5/1.5 and 1.25/1.25/1.25/6.25/1.5/1.5, we are going to change the switches to be North facing for the tsangan layout 1.25/1.25/1.25/6.25/1.5/1.5. This allows people to use either layout without needing to pick a particular file to flash. Update, we've decided to remove the 1u compatibility for the numpad + in order to keep the PCB simple. Adding that compatibility would reduce the sizes of the pads or we would have made the switch rotated 90 degrees. In order to keep all switches and pads uniform, we decided to remove it.

Notes:
  • The design is still subject to change. However, don't expect large design changes. The idea behind the design is to keep a simple and elegant design for a functional keyboard that can be used at home or in the workplace.
  • I understand this looks similar to a Duck Jetfire. However, this keyboard provides a 2u '0' for the numpad and does not use a Duck PCB. Two big advantages in my book.
  • If there are any technical questions about the PCB, feel free to post on this IC and Gondo will provide you a magnificent answer.
  • Indicator LEDs will need to be soldered into the PCB
FAQ:
  • Will the PCB have Hotswap? No, hotswap will not be available. This would require a redesign of the PCB and based on the predicted price range of this keyboard, our target audience should be comfortable with soldering.
  • N E ISO avail? Sorry, I'm looking to keep this smaller. Unless we're unable to reach MOQ without ISO, it will be ANSI only.
Special Thanks:
  • PheonixStarr and Gondo for teaming up with me
  • UndercoverBrother, ManofInterest, Capsy, Seoulcialite, and others who I've asked for feedback
  • Hiney, Upas, Okonomiyaki, PyroPyroPryo, and others who I've asked for help

UPDATE AS OF 7/4/19
Prototypes have been received and they look good. We're currently waiting on testing the firmware for the prototype PCBs and will order a new round of PCBs once that is successful. There was a KiCad bug that did not test all the diode and resistor locations which might affect the switch placements. Once the new round of PCBs have been tested and assembled, we will start sending the prototype boards to a few streamers to build and review.

Colors
We will be offering the case in black, gray, and blue. For the prototype run, we tested the factories gray and blue. The gray turned out great but the blue is too intense of a blue. We will choose a darker navy blue for production.

Pricing
Pricing for a standard kit will start at $475 before fees and shipping. The standard kit will include anodized aluminum top/bottom pieces, anodized aluminum plate, and sandblasted brass weight. Optional sandblasted brass plate will be available and other plate materials are still in consideration. We will only be offering sandblasted brass for this round in order to keep things simple and costs lower. We will request a quote for a possible fourth color (silver). The GB will be limited to 40 spots. FCFS

TLDR: Waiting to test firmware on the prototype PCBs. Once those are done, we will order a new round of PCBs to send to reviewers. Price starts at $475 for a standard kit (black/gray/blue case w/ aluminum plate and brass weight). 40 units FCFS

Prototypes
222188-10

222190-11

222192-12

222224-13

222196-14

222198-15

222200-16

222202-17

222204-18

222206-19

222208-20

222210-21

222212-22

222214-23

222216-24

222218-25

222220-26

222222-27

Current Status:
Please come here to check on where we're at!
(As of 5/24/19) We're getting quotes for prototypes and are planning to run a 20-30 unit run once we're happy with a manufacturer.
This is only the first revision, and there are a few fixes that need to be made to the files. I will update the renders once new revisions are available. Pricing is still TBD, but given the size of the board, don't expect Polaris pricing.
(As of 5/25/19) Added IC form, please fill out!
(As of 5/28/19) Current waiting for a few more quotes to compare. PCB design should be finished by this week and any small changes to the case due to the PCB should be done this week as well. Planning to order prototypes next week.
(As of 5/31/19) Small update to design, the brass weight will be more rectangular rather than the duck shape from the renders. We will get updated renders so that it'll be easier to see but our current priority is to finish the design files to get to our manufacturer.
(As of 6/1/19) Added discord channel
(As of 6/8/19) In order to accomplish the dual bottom layout of 1.5/1.5/7/1.5/1.5 and 1.25/1.25/1.25/6.25/1.5/1.5, we are going to change the switches to be North facing for the tsangan layout 1.25/1.25/1.25/6.25/1.5/1.5. This allows people to use either layout without needing to pick a particular file to flash. If there is any objection, please let us know here or in the discord.
(As of 6/9/19) Gondo was able to solve the issue of overlapping pins so we won't have any north facing switches for the bottom row.
(As of 6/10/19) Payment for our first protos have gone out!
(As of 6/15/19) Production for prototypes should be finished by June 24th. I expect them to be in my hands sometime in July. We're currently ironing out issues with the PCB fab but hopefully production of the prototype should start next week.
(As of 6/16/19) Added new renders with GMK Rudy and expanded views with the new brass weight.
(As of 6/25/19) Prototype cases are getting close to being finished and should be shipped out by the end of this week. The prototype PCBs are currently being assembled by PheonixStarr and Gondolindrim is finishing up the firmware.
(As of 6/30/19) Prototype 1 should be here on Monday. Prototype 2 will be shipped by Tuesday. We've had to make some changes to the PCB due to a bug in KiCad so new prototypes will need to be ordered. This will add an extra week or two before the GB can start. Also, we decided to remove the 1u compatibility from the numpad + key in order to keep the PCB simple. See layout comment for more details.
(As of 7/22/19) Major delays on the PCB but now our PCB designer is finally getting better after a couple weeks of being in the hospital. Hopefully we will be able to order another batch of Prototype PCBs this week and we should be underway. Hopefully we will be able to get some boards to some streamers by the end of August.
(As of 8/1/19) Second round of proto PCBs have been ordered. Expecting to receive them in 2-3 weeks and will test the final firmware with the new PCB. We're also ordered a new top piece for an adjustment to the LED area. We will try another dark blue with that piece so we should have a better idea what the blue will look like for production.
(As of 8/21/19) Second batch of proto PCBs will be shipping soon. I expect to receive them and test them sometime next week. If everything checks out, I will be sending them to streamers and updating this thread for all the GB details.
(As of 8/27/19) Batch of proto PCBs have been received but we still don't have a working firmware. Unfortunately there is no ETA on this but we will move forward as soon as we can. Apologies for the delays.
(As of 9/9/19) Rollout update posted to top of the post.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 September 2019, 07:11:01 by driftingbunnies »

Offline jariss

Re: [IC] Austin - Compact Full Size Keyboard (formerly DB01)
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 23:37:06 »
Really nice layout and design. I've been in the market for a cp1800.

Offline Rejeckted

• Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum... I smell Kraft dinnah
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 24 May 2019, 23:58:50 »
I'm loving that blue case in the first image.  :cool:  :thumb:

Offline fombat

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 01:13:44 »
god..... im in theoretically form gods willing

Offline bthezebra

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 01:33:51 »
Interested

Offline PheonixStarr

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 01:49:18 »
from this point on not a single soul will notice at all that the switch cutout for the X key is entirely missing from the plate

Offline Furikurichemy

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 02:20:23 »
from this point on not a single soul will notice at all that the switch cutout for the X key is entirely missing from the plate

lol

Very nice design though! Hopefully I'll be able to grab one when the time comes.

Offline portbaron

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 02:43:40 »
I'd get
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline thornkin

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 03:05:49 »
I really like this layout and would consider getting it. I like the position of pgup/pgdn which most 2800-style compacts get wrong.

Laser ALT sporting red Sky Pandas

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 03:22:40 »
Awesome idea Disappointed by the lack of ISO personally, but it's understandable if you're only planning a small run. GLWIC <3

Offline jihadu

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 05:26:01 »
ne ISO avail...

Jk good looking board

Offline forumusername

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 08:17:35 »
Nice

Offline WithoutWeakness

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 10:01:47 »
Looks great I love the layout. It's like an interesting mix of 68-keys and 1800. I'll be keeping an eye on this one!

Offline FatOldGuy

• SA4Lyfe
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 10:05:18 »
yes please

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 10:12:08 »
B-but...it’s not named after a girl.
I like it. A lot. I want one. Very much.

Offline noahf

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 10:18:38 »
How dare you gender assume based of a name.

Offline Nigolski

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 10:30:47 »
cool layout!

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 10:31:06 »
B-but...it’s not named after a girl.
I like it. A lot. I want one. Very much.

Haha I'm no TGR

Offline krutmob

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 11:14:10 »
I love this. Down to ride.

Offline Macmutant

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 13:18:47 »
Looks great! I'm interested. The only thing I would change, is to offer split plus on the num pad.

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 13:20:19 »
Looks great! I'm interested. The only thing I would change, is to offer split plus on the num pad.

I was thinking of including that initially but I personally didn't know anyone that used the numpad like that. Mind if I ask what keys would you put there if you split the plus?

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 14:01:12 »

I was thinking of including that initially but I personally didn't know anyone that used the numpad like that. Mind if I ask what keys would you put there if you split the plus?

It's used on the AEK II, allowing you to add an "=" key to the numpad (very useful IMO).

Pic here: https://ttic.uchicago.edu/~cotter/projects/aek2/images/leds.jpg
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline Macmutant

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 14:12:53 »

It's used on the AEK II, allowing you to add an "=" key to the numpad (very useful IMO).

Pic here: https://ttic.uchicago.edu/~cotter/projects/aek2/images/leds.jpg

Exactly! This is how I would use it.

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 14:13:37 »
ne X avail

Offline Xynerorias

• Lubin' with glicerin
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 15:06:24 »
If it's true to cost or at least not overpriced, just like polaris, that's a yes for me.

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 15:54:30 »
If it's true to cost or at least not overpriced, just like polaris, that's a yes for me.

What would you consider overpriced? I can't compete with kbdfans quantity.

Offline cirrus82

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 16:26:41 »
Definitely in!

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 17:52:48 »
ne X avail

'X' key cutout will be an extra feature

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #28 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 19:45:43 »
Added an IC form, please fill out when you get a chance! Thanks!

Offline Corgiattackkk

« Reply #29 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 22:17:52 »
Would left-handed numpad be a possible option? It looks like it'd be a pretty clean swap and would still look beautiful <3 The blue is definitely my favorite in the picture.

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 22:21:14 »
Would left-handed numpad be a possible option? It looks like it'd be a pretty clean swap and would still look beautiful <3 The blue is definitely my favorite in the picture.

A left handed version would be interesting but would have to be another run if there's enough interest for that. It would require an entire redesign even though the layout would be pretty similar.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 22:23:16 »
The double 1us on their own on the top row looks kinda awkward, but I'll wait till there are renders/photos with caps as it'll show the true story.

Otherwise the design looks good and will be good to see physical samples :thumb:

Offline forumusername

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 22:27:35 »
What changes are planned after the small proto run?

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 25 May 2019, 23:12:29 »
What changes are planned after the small proto run?

Sorry for the strange wording. Currently we have some small revisions (adding split +, adding x key) to be made before we order a prototype. Once we receive that and everything is good, we'll move forward with the production run. There are no planned changes that would be made between prototype and production.

Offline iammeuru

Re: [IC] Austin - Compact Full Size Keyboard 1800/CP (formerly DB01)
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 01:57:11 »
I'm down... filling out IC now.

Offline Locnguyen1507

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 10:50:10 »
Remind me LZCP!!

Offline forumusername

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 10:59:13 »
This has definitely grown on me

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 11:02:53 »
Thanks for the feedback and support everyone! We're definitely excited about this project! If you are interested in any updates, I will keep updating the OP at the bottom of the post with timestamps.

Also, come join our discord server if you have any feedback! Thanks!
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 June 2019, 12:32:22 by driftingbunnies »

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon

Offline thornkin

« Reply #39 on: Sat, 01 June 2019, 15:37:41 »
Been looking for a compact 1800 and like this layout best. What kind of quantities do you think you are looking at? Trying to decide how likely this is to be to get.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 01 June 2019, 16:02:32 »
It'll be between 20-30. I don't want to be too ambitious and not have the quality up to snuff.

Offline J3ff_Leopard

• Wishlist
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 01 June 2019, 17:34:45 »
If the quality is up to snuff and everything goes smoothly, would you consider a 2nd round next year when I have more money?    :-[
WTB Resin Cast Click Clack Leaf

Offline MyCow

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 01 June 2019, 20:31:38 »
I really like that design. Glad to see some love for 1800s. Can't wait to see protos!

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 01 June 2019, 20:43:43 »
Great design.
I love it.

Offline Just Lucan

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 02 June 2019, 05:11:37 »
Had to make an account for this. I absolutely love it, hope I can make this my first high-end keyboard!

Offline thornkin

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 02 June 2019, 18:23:37 »
Any idea how far out the GB date will be? Not looking for a commitment or a specific time, but more a general sense.

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 02 June 2019, 18:29:35 »
If everything with the prototypes are smooth we can start in a month or so. However I know hbcp is starting soon so don't really want to clash with that.

Offline thornkin

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 00:07:09 »
That seems wise. HBCP likely appeals to the same crowd.

Offline forumusername

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 07:40:13 »
Run it at the same time so I have better chances of getting it

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 19:34:32 »
Quick update, in order to accomplish the dual bottom layout of 1.5/1.5/7/1.5/1.5 and 1.25/1.25/1.25/6.25/1.5/1.5, we are going to change the switches to be North facing for the tsangan layout 1.25/1.25/1.25/6.25/1.5/1.5. This allows people to use either layout without needing to pick a particular file to flash. If there is any objection, please let us know here or in the discord.

Thanks!