Poll

What colors should be an option for this buy?

Black
135 (19.6%)
Grey
47 (6.8%)
Purple
62 (9%)
Green
8 (1.2%)
Dark Grey
123 (17.9%)
Blue
19 (2.8%)
Blue Grey
86 (12.5%)
Silver
86 (12.5%)
Olive
16 (2.3%)
White
71 (10.3%)
Red
35 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 401

Author Topic: [IC] CNC Anodized Aluminum case for CM Novatouch, Rapid-i, and Masterkeys TKL!  (Read 187120 times)

Offline EugeneYap83

Can it fit Ducky One TKL RGB? http://www.duckychannel.com.tw/page-"?en/One-TKL-RGB-version/
If it does fit, I'm buying the Aluminum case regardless of shipping cost.

Offline fublamchu

• ㅋㅋㅋ
Can it fit Ducky One TKL RGB? http://www.duckychannel.com.tw/page-"?en/One-TKL-RGB-version/
If it does fit, I'm buying the Aluminum case regardless of shipping cost.

Unless Ducky uses the same case manufacturer, no
LZ-CE VBlacks
910-CE

Offline Charlie.Mike25

Hey everyone, thought I would share a little background about how I ended up here. I an aviator in my day to day life, so when the godspeed keycap set showed up on Massdrop, I went a little bananas. After many hours on Amazon, AliExpress, r/mk, and browsing through GeekHack, I stumpled upon this looking for the perfect keyboard to pair with that keycap set, I ended up here. The render showed the set on a Aluminum Case in the render, and once I saw your render I was hooked and fixed on the Rapid I.

I can't say I am committing to this right now, but my votes were cast and depending on the Massdrop price for this, I may or may not spring for this, but, nevertheless, awesome job and the best of luck.

Offline grossvogel

Will this case be compatible with my CM Storm QuickFire Rapid?

Offline usopia

@grossvogel:
no, QF Rapid is completely different to Rapid-i, Novatouch and Masterkeys TKL.

Offline EugeneYap83

Bummer, ducky is the only company I can trust with comes to RGB as it always uses high quality components and PCB which is very rare this days. Well at least there is Novatouch.

Offline EugeneYap83

Norbauer, could you upload sound/video typing recording of the novatouch with Aluminum case and stock case?
Pretty please?

Offline fublamchu

• ㅋㅋㅋ
Norbauer, could you upload sound/video typing recording of the novatouch with Aluminum case and stock case?
Pretty please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LZ-CE VBlacks
910-CE

Offline wodan

I'm probably getting 3-5 cases depending on the price and colors offered. Love the Rapid-i and love the Novatouch.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???

Bummer, ducky is the only company I can trust with comes to RGB as it always uses high quality components and PCB which is very rare this days. Well at least there is Novatouch.

Masterkeys Pro S has been confirmed to work with this case, and the Masterkeys series has excellent RGB, I would say much better than Ducky
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline EugeneYap83

Masterkeys Pro S has been confirmed to work with this case, and the Masterkeys series has excellent RGB, I would say much better than Ducky

That is a false statement. According to review and teardown of Masterkeys Pro S, it has very sloppy soldering and poor PCB quality
https://deskthority.net/review-f45/cooler-master-masterkeys-pro-s-t13296.html

Offline wodan

The model matt3o had for review was a pre-release sample:
Quote from: CM Bram
As you know we are working/worked on a few things (as since you have a pre-release sample)

Wouldn't bet the retail versions have the same bad soldering quality.

Offline EugeneYap83

The model matt3o had for review was a pre-release sample:
Quote from: CM Bram
As you know we are working/worked on a few things (as since you have a pre-release sample)

Wouldn't bet the retail versions have the same bad soldering quality.

I aware of that, but until a reviewer upload with post production version of it, I going stick with what it has been presented by matt3o. I'm just playing save.
CM keyboards are used to be made in Taiwan, so there are some reinsurance in that, however the recent MasterKeys are made in china.
I used to own QFR: limted edition(decent keyboard) but swap to "Ducky One" due to heavier solid build, and the keys on ducky does not rattle as much.
CM QFR is still good, but I prefer heavier solid build.
I'm not dissing China workers or their QC, They can be very skillful, especially when comes to specialty request in small amounts and they are paid decently for it. My custom PC tabletop with engraving is made by them.
But when comes to mass productions and reducing cost as much as possible(apply on worker's salary as well).... I have my doubts and skepticism
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 October 2016, 07:55:32 by EugeneYap83 »

Offline codywanks

That is a false statement. According to review and teardown of Masterkeys Pro S, it has very sloppy soldering and poor PCB quality

Read carefully: Nguyen said the RGB lighting is better than Ducky (which I definitely agree with). Nguyen did not say anything about the soldering job or PCB quality.

FWIW, the soldering on my Masterkeys S was neat and consistent. I would post a pic had I not already desoldered & harvested the MX RGB switches.

Offline EugeneYap83

Read carefully: Nguyen said the RGB lighting is better than Ducky (which I definitely agree with). Nguyen did not say anything about the soldering job or PCB quality.

FWIW, the soldering on my Masterkeys S was neat and consistent. I would post a pic had I not already desoldered & harvested the MX RGB switches.
Why would you do that, when you can turn off the LEDs?
Forgive me but I find it odd when you buy better LEDs at Ebay cheaply, desoldering LEDs is not impossible but it requires a lot of effort and time.
Unless you are telling me that those are the Best and rarest LEDs, while its impossible or extremely expensive to find it on the market that at that present time.

For as comparing the LEDs I can't see the difference when both are adjusted at brightest. Razer has the best RGB contrast.
Anyway I prefer keyboards that focus on quality build and foundation, LEDs are secondary(but not last). If I do want the best RGB light, I would go for Razer Chroma.

I think we have derailed to much from the main subject.

Back to main subject,
Thanks fublamchu for that video(it kinda sway me into buying it), and now I want to know how it truly sounds with full aluminum housing,
Bought a novatouch didn't like the rattle(sits at my office atm) and brought a realforce 87u 55g, love the solid feels.
But novatouch sounds like it improved with just the top aluminum casing which why I'm intreat to know what it's like with full aluminum housing.

Offline Phenix

Novatouch sounds better than an stock Realforce
once
-hyperspgrered/dental banded
-lubed stabs
Winter is coming.

Offline codywanks

Forgive me but I find it odd when you buy better LEDs at Ebay cheaply, desoldering LEDs is not impossible but it requires a lot of effort and time.
Unless you are telling me that those are the Best and rarest LEDs, while its impossible or extremely expensive to find it on the market that at that present time.

For as comparing the LEDs I can't see the difference when both are adjusted at brightest. Razer has the best RGB contrast.
Anyway I prefer keyboards that focus on quality build and foundation, LEDs are secondary(but not last). If I do want the best RGB light, I would go for Razer Chroma.

Err what?

I desoldered the MX RGB switches for a future project.

I did not desolder any LEDs, nor do I need them. Not sure why you thought I desoldered the LEDs.

And yes, you can desolder the MX RGB switches without touching the RGB SMD LEDs.

Offline codywanks

once
-lubed stabs

Hi Phenix. Nice to meet a fellow rabbit

Offline EugeneYap83

Err what?

I desoldered the MX RGB switches for a future project.

I did not desolder any LEDs, nor do I need them. Not sure why you thought I desoldered the LEDs.

And yes, you can desolder the MX RGB switches without touching the RGB SMD LEDs.

Sorry my bad, You gave the impression that you desolder the LEDs
btw can you upload the the pictures of the areas that you haven't desoider yet?
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 October 2016, 13:07:21 by EugeneYap83 »

Offline EugeneYap83

once
-lubed stabs
Doesn't the same apply to to realforce?
And Realforce would be better then novatouch if follow suit?

Offline Phenix

once
-lubed stabs
maybe. I did not tested that.
but the novatouch-s sounds alright to me, so I dont want to change something more. (and besides that: MX compatible)

-just want the metal case and QMK
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 October 2016, 18:56:03 by Phenix »
Winter is coming.

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???

Show Image

Well... I wasn't even making a comment about the build quality, but I don't want to be seen as a liar or providing false information, so I went and dug out my Masterkeys Pro L (I don't have a Pro S) and broke a fingernail or two getting it opened up (on the bright side, it lets me comment about the contruction of the case, and that is pretty solid, plenty of clips holding the top cover to the bottom assembly).

Once inside, I inspected the backside of the PCB and the quality of the solder joints. There are some flux residue which is to be expected, but absolutely no sign of sloppy solder job or bad joints anywhere. I guess you should have read the review fully where Matteo commented that the samples he got was a pre-preduction engineering samples and sent his feedback to Cooler Master. Also notice the black production PCB compared to the green PCB on the pre production sample. Also notice the solid steel top plate, which was painted white to help with RGB lighting, and both top and bottom edges has been folded over to improve bending and flexural stiffness along the y and y-z axes of the keyboard.

Overall, I stand by my comment earlier that the RGB on the Masterkeys is vastly superior to the Ducky RGB and Shine series, and now that I've seen inside the keyboard, I can confirm that the build quality is excellent too. Just as good if not slightly better than my Ducky One

I don't know why I'm even arguing, it's far too late and I need some sleep, guess I just got riled up when a random stranger on the internet calls me a liar.

Peace peeps, I'm off to bed.

« Last Edit: Sun, 16 October 2016, 18:27:50 by duynguyenle »
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline Gajible

Show Image

Well... I wasn't even making a comment about the build quality, but I don't want to be seen as a liar or providing false information, so I went and dug out my Masterkeys Pro L (I don't have a Pro S) and broke a fingernail or two getting it opened up (on the bright side, it lets me comment about the contruction of the case, and that is pretty solid, plenty of clips holding the top cover to the bottom assembly).

Once inside, I inspected the backside of the PCB and the quality of the solder joints. There are some flux residue which is to be expected, but absolutely no sign of sloppy solder job or bad joints anywhere. I guess you should have read the review fully where Matteo commented that the samples he got was a pre-preduction engineering samples and sent his feedback to Cooler Master. Also notice the black production PCB compared to the green PCB on the pre production sample. Also notice the solid steel top plate, which was painted white to help with RGB lighting, and both top and bottom edges has been folded over to improve bending and flexural stiffness along the y and y-z axes of the keyboard.

Overall, I stand by my comment earlier that the RGB on the Masterkeys is vastly superior to the Ducky RGB and Shine series, and now that I've seen inside the keyboard, I can confirm that the build quality is excellent too. Just as good if not slightly better than my Ducky One

I don't know why I'm even arguing, it's far too late and I need some sleep, guess I just got riled up when a random stranger on the internet calls me a liar.

Show Image

I'm digging the keyboard science, but I'm especially digging the pajama pants!

Offline EugeneYap83

once
-lubed stabs
maybe. I did not tested that.
but the novatouch-s sounds alright to me, so I dont want to change something more. (and besides that: MX compatible)

-just want the metal case and QMK
You and me both

Offline EugeneYap83

Show Image

Show Image

Thanks for upload, workmanship doesn't look soo bad.
I wouldn't call it argument as we are not throwing our tantrums, more like debate over disagreement. 
Like I say I take matt3o inspection as what it is till proven other wise.
Recently tons mainstream productions has falling apart like House of cards and fanboy has lying misleading people.
Sometimes is just bias because they had good experience with their pass products but no experience present/recent productions and I became weary as a result..
Here in Singapore we always get the worst batch of almost everything, especially when comes to IT gaming products or considered as gaming products.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 October 2016, 21:38:10 by EugeneYap83 »

Offline Metaldrake

Show Image

Show Image

I wouldn't call it argument as we are not throwing our tantrums, more like debate over disagreement. 
Recently tons mainstream productions has falling apart like House of cards and fanboy has lying misleading people.
Sometimes is just bias because they had good experience with their pass products but no experience present/recent productions and I became weary as a result..
Here in Singapore we always get the worst batch of almost everything, especially when comes to IT gaming products or considered as gaming products.

I feel like we both live in very different Singapores eh? I got one of the first few shipments of the Pro S into Singapore and here's a pic of the PCB, looks like a pretty good soldering job to me. Only imperfections on the board were caused by me doing a pretty bad job at soldering switches, AFAIK.

Realforce 86U

Offline EugeneYap83

Show Image

Show Image

I feel like we both live in very different Singapores eh? I got one of the first few shipments of the Pro S into Singapore and here's a pic of the PCB, looks like a pretty good soldering job to me. Only imperfections on the board were caused by me doing a pretty bad job at soldering switches, AFAIK.

Show Image

Mayb....
Or CM has step up their production/manufacturer in china.

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
Well, my estimable pals in the People's Republic have come through for us. (Sorry for the un-edited pics. I'll have some better ones soon.) The gray prototype arrived today via DHL. It is a nice medium gray that is slightly warm in color.

This version incorporates many improvements as suggested by the several GeekHack members (most recently codywanks and henz) who graciously helped by purchasing prototypes from me and giving me excellent feedback.

Optional riser kit

And the black is the same as in the opening post.

Give me a few days to set up some kind of payment/ordering infrastructure and we'll have a group buy rolling for these in gray and black!

Powder coat options may come in a subsequent group buy, but I just didn't want to hold things up longer while waiting for that shop to pull themselves together.  :rolleyes:

Offline norbauer

Improvements in this version

• corner screw holes are moved away from edge to prevent possible denting (as suggested by a member in this thread)
  • USB bracket moved away from nearby PCB screw to prevent interference
  • flange screws to cinch plate into place securely
  • slightly slimmer profile all around
  • safer tolerances around the bumpon recesses

And probably some other stuff I forgot. ;)

Offline eksuen

• Ambassador of explosions.
I like that gray with the bronze-ish tint.

Offline fine_italian_leather

Looks great. Can't wait for the group buy. Looks like i will be buying two cases.

Offline fax668

• Shaken, not stirred
Could you do a photo with a black, gray and white keyboard together? I would like to get a better feel how dark that gray is.

Offline EugeneYap83

Well, my estimable pals in the People's Republic have come through for us. (Sorry for the un-edited pics. I'll have some better ones soon.) The gray prototype arrived today via DHL. It is a nice medium gray that is slightly warm in color.

This version incorporates many improvements as suggested by the several GeekHack members (most recently codywanks and henz) who graciously helped by purchasing prototypes from me and giving me excellent feedback.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Optional riser kit
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

And the black is the same as in the opening post.

Show Image

Give me a few days to set up some kind of payment/ordering infrastructure and we'll have a group buy rolling for these in gray and black!

Powder coat options may come in a subsequent group buy, but I just didn't want to hold things up longer while waiting for that shop to pull themselves together.  :rolleyes:

Woah, love the simplistic look. I'm sold.
Btw is this the final design yet or there would be changes after group buy?
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 October 2016, 09:02:44 by EugeneYap83 »

Offline McPwned

Powder coat options may come in a subsequent group buy, but I just didn't want to hold things up longer while waiting for that shop to pull themselves together.
Dang, are you able to provide any more certainty on the matter?  My preference is for the Enigma Black, but I don't want to miss out on a case if you decide not to run it (I'm not buying more than one).

Offline complex

Kind of dissapointed that there won't be a white version but im joining nonetheless. Will this actually go live sometime next week or is that
just a generous estimate? I also wanted to know how long is the production/shipping going to take (shipping espacially to EU).

Really looking forward to the drop :D

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Man this looks nice but I'm really sad about the colors.  This was going to be my hyperfuse board so the gray wont work for me unless it's the exact same, and it sounds like it's a warmer shade.   Also, not a fan of the black since it's the same as the plastic case the cm board comes in.

I'm really interested in silver or white.  I'm assuming the white would be powder coated, right?   Maybe this will be a thing down the road.  Great work, just sad about the colors people chose.

Offline mrkevint

• OK.
Love how the gray turned out. I'm in for one!

Offline AskAJedi

I'm in too, but mostly if silver or white is offered. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline norbauer

OK guys, let me see if we can add white powder in this buy, which should be possible. The only issue is the black wrinkle, because that requires modified tolerances and some experimentation to get things right dye to the very high layer thickness added by the finish. We might have to do that one as a follow-on, as it would take me a few more weeks to work out how to get done from the shop making the anodized cases. I just don't want it to hold everything else up.

Offline nateth

+1 for white.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
+1 for white.

Are there any white metal cases out there with the exception of the pok3r?  If so I haven't found them.  I read that aluminum has to be acid etched to get a white look, and I guess steel is too heavy for tkl?  I think white would be a stand out product.  The added thickness of the powder coat is not my cup of tea, but I might consider it if the layer was thin enough.

Is it impossible to simply paint aluminum with a good result?  Sorry, I'm a novice at metal finishing :)  I also think beige would be beautiful, but I like it old skewl.
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 October 2016, 14:36:44 by reececonrad »

Offline r5d

• Reddit: /u/thisman
Shame about the Enigma Black, but it's great to see this moving forward also. I would really like the white powder-coat as well. If it can be offered in this buy I'll take two cases, otherwise only one.
I like keyboards

Offline Rageous

I'm in for one aluminum and one powder coat white, but I second the request for comparison photos so I can decide whether to go with grey or black.

Offline richard912

Nice updates. My credit card is planning a coup after learning of my intent to join this GB

Offline norbauer

I'm in for one aluminum and one powder coat white, but I second the request for comparison photos so I can decide whether to go with grey or black.

Here you guys go. :)

Offline nateth

Oh come on! Now it's even harder to decide. Whatever happened to choiceless communism standard issue norbauer edition? :)

Offline richard912

Oh come on! Now it's even harder to decide. Whatever happened to choiceless communism standard issue norbauer edition? :)
Buy both? hahaha. I'm leaning towards the grey. Black is just so....common

Offline norbauer

lol. I know. I'm just too eager to please, I guess. ;)

Offline consolelog

Just signed up so I could say I'm excited for this! I've had my novatouch for a little less than a week now and one of my few complaints was how cheap the stock case felt. Glad to have found this before it happened!

Offline Razer1987

I hope there will be Enigma Black in the future, I am gonna wait for it. Unlike anodized (even if the gray is beautiful), there was something really different from other cases with this color and finish. A vintage style on a modern board.