Author Topic: Modifying A Mouse's Shape  (Read 4148 times)

Offline aknagi

Modifying A Mouse's Shape
« on: Wed, 17 November 2010, 14:40:41 »
Hi Guys,

This forum (and my mate Pete) are just about the only parties who would tolerate me speaking at length about the comfort of my mouse. Amen.

Anyway, I once had a mouse which could have been crafted just for me - it was the Wireless Intellimouse Explorer. If fitted like a glove, as if Bill had sent angels to tailor just for me. Perfect? Alas, no.
  • The batteries run out fast.
  • It needs batteries!
  • There is a _very_ noticeable delay due to latency.

My mate gave me a Logitech G5. He said it was dodgy, but it's been working fine. Of course it doesn't feel as comfortable as my old mouse, unless I mould blue-tack to the case in the right places.

The problem with blue-tack is it's tacky (haha a pun!) & prone to collecting crap. My question is has anyone found a better way to sculpt the shape of a mouse to their hand?

Cheers,
Andrew

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 17 November 2010, 14:55:23 »
Damn, ripster, you didn't even give him 10 posts.

BTW, welcome to Geekhack, Andrew.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 17 November 2010, 15:38:55 »
I think there are some older posts in this forum that even had one guy building an entire trackball out of clay or Bondo or something.  It was ugly as ****, but it worked for him.

Offline kps

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 November 2010, 15:43:34 »
You could use a polymer clay (which isn't clay), which you can probably find in a local craft shop. Another option is a hand-shapeable silicone called Sugru.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 November 2010, 15:49:29 »
Quote from: aknagi;248168
The problem with blue-tack is it's tacky (haha a pun!) & prone to collecting crap. My question is has anyone found a better way to sculpt the shape of a mouse to their hand?

Polymorph / Shapelock

Edit> Cheap-o Sugru.
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 November 2010, 16:17:18 by Rajagra »

Offline aknagi

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 17 November 2010, 16:17:25 »
The mouldable plastic like products you have mentioned are just what I imagined, but didn't know existed. Thank you for taking the time to suggest them. I actually have some 'Bondo' like stuff in the garage. I guess I could have a trial run on an old optical mouse I have knocking about.

I'm now spending so long at the computer that I'm sure it will be worth a small investment of time to get comfy.

Andrew

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Context is EVERYTHING
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 17 November 2010, 16:37:14 »
Posted by ripster
this looks nasty
Show Image

Context is EVERYTHING
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 18 November 2010, 04:37:46 »
Perhaps you could transplant the good guts from one mouse into the other mouse's housing. In most mice, the sensor and logic is on one board, and the switches are on another, connected with pins or sometimes with a short cable, and in that case, you should be able to keep the switches and only make a new cable.
However, it may not be possible to make the logic board fit inside the housing you want. Perhaps there is a stem for a screw that is in the way.