Author Topic: DT225 vs. L-TracX for 4K monitor use?  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Synnöve

DT225 vs. L-TracX for 4K monitor use?
« on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 07:15:14 »
Greetings,

After experimenting/enjoying the use of a PS2 Marble trackball I've decided in investing in a more permanent solution.

I've been doing a lot of research I can either acquire a TracX (3200 DPI model version that, according to the seller, did not come with the scroller) for about 160 shipped or a ADB cabled DT225 for around 30 dollars. Obviously the TracX is the superior solution when it comes to compatibility and DPI; since I'm going to be using this mouse for controlling video editing programs on 4K gui screens I really want a clean track with very smooth scrolling and high precision, however, I've also read the DT225 cannot be beat in terms of the physical scrolling mechanisms as it uses metal ball bearings vs plastic in the TracX. I've also read about some problems with the TracX when moving the cursor diagonal or in fine movements.

I have two dastardly plans in my head about how to rectify each unit's short comings: gut the DT225 and add the sensors and circuitry from a G400 mouse, or replace the TracX's bearings with higher quality versions. Has anyone accomplished either of these feats in one form or another? Am I worrying about nothing or should I pursue one of these plans?