Author Topic: Disassemble Steelseries 7G  (Read 4485 times)

Offline Killer344

Disassemble Steelseries 7G
« on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 16:13:20 »
Hello, I've been trying to find with no avail if anyone has run into the same problem already with no luck....

I dropped a bit of coke on my KB and some keys got sticky, now the real problem is I can't get to the PCB to change the keys. I took out the four screws on the back but it won't budge. I even took all the keycaps from the front but there isn't any screws, what is this sorcery lol... what am I missing..

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
Re: Disassemble Steelseries 7G
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 16:19:00 »
Hello, I've been trying to find with no avail if anyone has run into the same problem already with no luck....

I dropped a bit of coke on my KB and some keys got sticky, now the real problem is I can't get to the PCB to change the keys. I took out the four screws on the back but it won't budge. I even took all the keycaps from the front but there isn't any screws, what is this sorcery lol... what am I missing..

Have you checked under the rubber feet and under the papers underneath it? (such as that QC pass)

Besides, you could also think on applying 80% (or higher) alcohol straight into the switch using a Syringe...
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 September 2013, 16:28:33 by wetto »
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline Killer344

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 16:57:41 »
Alcohol didn't work, there is nothing under the feets/papers.... I can feel something is clamping it from the sides/bottom....

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 22 September 2013, 17:48:22 »
Alcohol didn't work, there is nothing under the feets/papers.... I can feel something is clamping it from the sides/bottom....

Not sure if you've missed this, but have you tried inserting a credit card or similar between the case parts along the front and back?  In cases like that, there are frequently plastic tabs on the top cover snapping into holes in the bottom of the case.  When you slide a card or similar along the front and back, you can pop out those tabs and then push the top cover off.

Hopefully that's all it is.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Killer344

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 01:07:16 »
yeah, thanks a lot, I just finished cleaning it... damn clips were sturdy lol.