Author Topic: When you are watching a movie...  (Read 3290 times)

Offline futurebird

When you are watching a movie...
« on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 19:08:45 »
A few weeks ago I went to see Occulus a very scary movie about an evil mirror that drives people mad. There is a scene in the movie where the father is typing and his madness drives him to do a rather gruesome act. (No spoilers.) But, even though I was really in to this movie I spent most of the scene lamenting the quality of his keyboard... plastic domes ugh!

Another, movie where I noticed the keyboard a bit too "much" was The Shining. Jack's typewriter is really interesting. It's a really beautiful model I'd never seen before.

So, have you ever noticed the keyboard more than the story in a film? Which one? What kind of keyboard?  :))
« Last Edit: Thu, 24 April 2014, 21:04:32 by futurebird »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: When you are watching a movie...
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 24 April 2014, 20:01:31 »
Source code features a black M13, I think.

That's all I remember from that scene. I had to rewind it to get the plot :p

Offline tribade

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 21:39:09 »
A few weeks ago I went to see Occulus a very scary movie about an evil mirror that drives people mad. There is a scene in the movie where the father is typing and his madness drives him to do a rather gruesome act. (No spoilers.) But, even though I was really in to this movie I spent most of the scene lamenting the quality of his keyboard... plastic domes ugh!

Another, movie where I noticed the keyboard a bit too "much" was The Shining. Jack's typewriter is really interesting. It's a really beautiful model I'd never seen before.

So, have you ever noticed the keyboard more than the story in a film? Which one? What kind of keyboard?  :))

According to Wikipedia, Here is the typewriter that Jack types on:

It's an Adler, I'm not sure what model.
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 25 April 2014, 23:16:08 »
Guess that's 2 reasons to watch that movie now.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 02:08:06 »
everyone who has a hobby has this problem, gun nuts are just focused on the gun, car nuts are trying to hear the ashton martin drive in 007 movies, knife nuts are wondering what went stabby stab.

watch some 80's movies and there are tons of model M's being used.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 07:11:00 »
What bothers me in the movies is they show a person typing and you know that the specific keyboard they are showing is not really making that type of sound. It is so enhanced. A lot of times they show the screen of the computer and just the sound of the typing and that kind of bothers me.
Now, in the movie Ghost where Patrick Swayze's best friend is trying to find the money he stole, the sound of the keyboard is great. It wasn't a model m but it was, i think, an alps keyboard via the late 1980s. In the movie Philadelphia, Tom Hanks is typing on his IBM Thinkpad keyboard and it sounds soooooo good.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 07:47:04 »
The keyboard Kubrick used to write the Shining daily screenplay drafts was most attractive:

Edit: video link is down  :(

Offline futurebird

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 07:55:32 »
What bothers me in the movies is they show a person typing and you know that the specific keyboard they are showing is not really making that type of sound. It is so enhanced.

I think that's why I was staring so hard in Occulus I'm fairly certain they used the sound of a softer mechanical board. I'm not enough of an expert to claim to identify it but it just felt odd.

But then it is a suspense/horror movie so maybe that was just another aspect of the horror of the whole thing... (KIDDING!)
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 April 2014, 07:59:07 by futurebird »

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 08:04:24 »
everyone who has a hobby has this problem, gun nuts are just focused on the gun, car nuts are trying to hear the ashton martin drive in 007 movies, knife nuts are wondering what went stabby stab.

watch some 80's movies and there are tons of model M's being used.

It can be a curse. When the stunning woman jumps out, naked, wearing only a diamond necklace, and the jeweller in the audience says 'look at that, those gems are really poor quality and the settings are really sub standard'.
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 08:05:37 »
I am a movie-prop nut ...  :p
My other hobby is to build replicas of iconic props from my favourite movies. That means that I look a lot at images of the props, zoom in on screencaps etc. when I am doing the research on how to build a prop. I strive to recreate the original materials, paints, finishes, even to fake all the little details including defects such as scratches and paint chips. Whenever I re-watch a movie where there is a prop that I have made a replica of, I always stare a great deal at that original prop.
🍉

Offline zippox

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 26 April 2014, 10:16:12 »
Now, in the movie Ghost where Patrick Swayze's best friend is trying to find the money he stole, the sound of the keyboard is great. It wasn't a model m but it was, i think, an alps keyboard via the late 1980s.

That's too funny you said that. I watched that movie last night on TV too and noticed the same thing :)

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 27 April 2014, 14:38:25 »
I think it was like a Zenith keyboard. I love that sound and i wish the scene lasted longer. He keeps banging on that poor keyboard thinking the numbers are going to show up.  ;D